|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Rare|
|From the Vault: Legends (V11)||Mythic Rare|
|Time Spiral (TSP)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
Legendary Creature — Human Wizard
Flash (You may play this spell any time you could play an instant.)
Creature cards you own that aren't in play have flash.
Each opponent can play spells only any time he or she could play a sorcery.
Commander Recommendations Start Commander Deck
Latest as Commander
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir Discussion
3 days ago
I’d actually say you overcosted it by a fair amount.
I’d start by comparing it to a few cards that already exist.
The closest approximation to your card I know of is Vexing Shusher . It can’t be countered and at 1 mana a piece it protects your other spells. Your version is an artifact instead of a creature making it slightly harder to remove though artifacts are probably the second easiest permanent to deal with. But your sphere is capable of being countered. Yours is also a legendary which further hinders it. There’s also the issue of it entering tapped which means that it won’t be useful for another turn at best. You were nice enough to give it another ability but not one that seems to justify the extra cost.
Other cards to compare to.
Prowling Serpopard is a bit more restricted in what it protects but cannot be countered itself which is a huge upside. It also doesn’t make the spell cost any extra. It being on an above curve body is also quite nice.
Sphinx of the Final Word in the same mana cost range as your spell but the Sphinx can’t be countered and has hexproof on top of being a 5/5 flyer. Only draw back is that the counter protection only protects instants and sorcerers but that’s not the worst draw back for the deck that might want something like this card.
Teferi, Time Raveler : It’s a 3 drop that prevents counterspells and more. It’s also a planeswalker which has plenty more upsides to it. It’s not the best planeswalker but it certainly does the job you’re looking to do.
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir : Prevents counterspells. Has flash. Your other creatures have flash. Overall great card and it does all of that for 4 mana.
I would say that the effect your are trying to have seems to be far cheaper than you’d think. Also almost every version has the counter protection for free with the exception of vexing shusher which only has to pay after the opponent tries to counter your spell. If I had to put a cost to the artifact you have as written I’d say it’s more in line with a great 2 drop or a meh 3 drop.
6 days ago
First of all, this isn't a Dimir deck. Dimir represents more than a combination of colours.
Thirdly (on to the actual stuff you're interested in), if you're looking for inspiration you could take a look at my Ninja EDH (though I still need to update the list with Modern Horizons cards): A song without music....
Notable cards from it I find very useful include:
- Gonti, Lord of Luxury doesn't have an evasive ability, but his deathtouch might work just as well to get him through either way. In addition, you can also use it defensively, and he brings a very interesting ability when he comes into play, which is not limited by how many times you bring him back (you can cast the cards exiled with him for as long as they remain exiled, so you're free to bounce him in the meantime).
- Neurok Invisimancer gets one of your ninjas through for free and then acts as a carrier, after which you can use it again. Cheap, does what your deck needs.
- Higure, the Still Wind is about the only ninja lord out there. I don't think I need to explain how useful he can be to the deck.
- Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir gives your creatures flash, which alleviates the cost of returning the creatures on your board to your hand and allows you to maintain some form of defense. It also prevents opponents from messing with your ninjas during combat.
- I find Thalakos Seer about the best ninja carrier in the game. About as cheap as they come, practically unblockable and gives you a card when he jumps back into your hand. One of the most satisfying early drops.
- Illusionist's Gambit is in my opinion one of the strongest blue defensive cards (especially in multiplayer). Considering how hyper-aggressive Ninjas are by design, I usually find it very useful to keep 4 mana open for this to deflect a potential counterattack.
- Memory Plunder remains my favourite EDH card of all time. It gives you access to cards you'd never be able or want to run in your list, and may also serve very well to shrug off some of the counteraggression that's going to be coming your way.
Hope this helps!
1 month ago
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir has a spot when going off with Urza. Once you have your exile pile ready to go cast him first to draw out any split second spells. You should have a healthy collection of counterspells to help get him through otherwise. After that its game over.
1 month ago
Thank you for all the suggestions. I've ordered a few of the cheaper cards Ponder , Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir , and Roil Elemental plus I found Brainstorm , Counterspell , Blue Sun's Zenith , Bident of Thassa and Archaeomancer in my collection. I also have a Darksteel Plate instead of the other two artifacts mentioned by bushido_man96. K1ngMars I'll look for an Aqueous Form . Now to see what to take out. I know I'll take Lay Claim out for sure.
1 month ago
I think Fog lists suffer from not having proactive threats against stuff like Burn or combo, where your fogs do nothing. This would be remedied in the sideboard, where you could play something like Thragtusk or Obstinate Baloth , and Vendilion Clique for disruption plus pressure. I don't think Modern currently facilitate a meta for reactive/passive decks. Control is dipping up and down as it is.
If you're going to the trouble of hurting yourself for the extra colour, you should also contemplate the sideboard cards it allows. I think, if I were to play Bant, I would bring in Wilderness Reclamation (but that's because I love the card and have bought into the hype), so that you can go nuts with instant speed wraths like Settle the Wreckage , Evacuation , or Cyclonic Rift , plus have a single Sphinx's Revelation to get you back into the game.
1 month ago
Hey, saw your forum topic asking for help. If one of your first Commander decks well done.
Consider more cards that can help blue devotion, give you value when your creatures are unblockable or be upgrades for cards here? Budget cards ($4 or less each) to consider adding:
- Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir : counts for three devotion, flash in your creatures including Thassa and prevent your opponents from casting cards at instant speed.
- Tempest Djinn : counts for three devotion, flying and gets more power as you play more Islands.
- Bident of Thassa : draw a lot of cards with unblockable creatures or flying creatures.
- Mystic Remora : one of the best enchantments for repeatable draw in multiplayer Commander.
- Mirage Mirror : good with Willbreaker , repeatable source of targeting, target an opponent creature for 2 mana to steal it while also making Mirror a copy of that creature until EOT.
- Retreat to Coralhelm : good with Willbreaker, repeatable no mana cost source of targeting an opponent's creature on your turn as long as you can play a land.
- High Tide
- Frantic Search
- Blue Sun's Zenith
- Thada Adel, Acquisitor
- Surrakar Spellblade
- Silent Submersible
- Broodbirth Viper : draw with myriad.
- Curious Obsession
- Ophidian Eye
- Sower of Temptation
- Roil Elemental : counts for three devotion, steal an opponents creature just by playing a land.
If you like some of these suggestions I offer more help to make cuts. Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
I have been working on a similar deck (with a scarily similar curve), and I love the idea of quick and sudden denial/control.
While I use him for my Commander, you may find Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir might have an important place in your deck as well. Your deck is pretty creature-light, but the second part of his ability will make sure you're the ONLY person on the board casting anything in response to anything.
1 month ago
In a similar vein, effects like Greater Good , Momentous Fall , and Life's Legacy could be very nice, especially if you can give your creatures flash with Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir / Alchemist's Refuge / Vivien, Champion of the Wilds . You could sac Toothy to the draw effects, replay Toothy from the command zone while that draw effect and Toothy's draw effect are on the stack, then have those draw effects trigger on Toothy for even more counters.
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%