|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Draw two cards.
Cycling (, Discard this card: Draw a card.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Hieroglyphic Illumination Discussion
6 days ago
Argy What did you mean about not being allowed to ID at FNM level? Don't the MtG Tournament Rules allow you to draw at any sanctioned tournament (which any FNM should be)?
x12721 I had to think for a bit before I worked out what seemed off about your deck. Then I realised that you have no sweepers in the mainboard. I highly reccomend some number of sweepers. Probably 3-4 main and then none side (2 Fumigate and 1-2 Settle the Wreckage ). The reason for this is that control decks which go 1-for-1 with opponents (as your deck does) fold to decks which make lots of creatures. That's why I played grixis instead of UB last season - it had a better matchup against the aggro and token decks.
If you add sweepers to the main, I would probably move at least 1, maybe both Vona's Hunger to the side, or maybe cut one altogether because 2 seems a little clunky to me. I also think that Dovin Baan is poor in general, and isn't particularly strong in this deck more than otherwise.
Finally, I think your sideboard is a little sub-par. You should definitely have 2 Authority of the Consuls and some number of either Regal Caracal or Lyra Dawnbringer. Given that the meta has adjusted to Lyra, I would suggest Caracals. I don't think you really need 2 Nezahal, Primal Tide. They are a house against control, but you also need to run enough denial still.
Unwind is a cool spell, but I don't think you need it as well as the 3 Negate. Probably play another copy of Duress though, because it's arguably the most impactful card against control. I would also recommend a Sorcerous Spyglass because it is amazing. You also probably need some number of disenchant effects, so either Invoke the Divine or Forsake the Worldly.
Finally, other sideboard cards include Doomfall, Gonti, Lord of Luxury, Lost Legacy if you are worried about Approach (although I think it is less necessary at the moment), and Arguel's Blood Fast which is great.
I know that I have suggested a lot of sideboard cards (more than you have room for), so sorry for that. I basically took the most impactful cards from my UW and Grixis sideboards and suggested them.
Also, sorry for the really long post, I didn't originally intend it to be this long. Also sorry if it sounds like I don't think your deck is good, that isn't the case. I just think it needs a little tweaking.
1 week ago
You need some way to draw cards. I was playtesting your deck, and you consistently went into topdeck mode every game. Unfortunately, there's not much in white that draws you cards (outside of Board the Weatherlight, and there's not too many targets for it), so I would suggest either green for Lifecrafter's Bestiary (and a way to use Shalai, Voice of Plenty's ability) or blue for the abundance of draw spells they offer (Hieroglyphic Illumination, Glimmer of Genius).
2 weeks ago
Illusionist's Bracers would greatly help out your commander's ability. Also, consider Training Grounds. You could also seriously use a Sol Ring and probably a Thran Dynamo to help accelerate your ability to use Oona. You also might want to consider Notorious Throng and Stinkdrinker Bandit to take advantage of the fact that you are creating a bunch of flying faerie rogues which are presumably attacking, especially the latter.
I'm not sure whether Wydwen, the Biting Gale is quite worth it in your deck, unless I'm missing something, so I'd consider dropping it.
2 weeks ago
First of all, if youre trying to play only Wizards with enters-the-battlefield abilities, Dreamstealer wont be of any use to you. You could try replacing it with 2 Naru Meha, Master Wizard and a few card draw spells to help you find your Naban, Dean of Iterations faster. Opt and Hieroglyphic Illumination are both good, you should check and see which suits you the most.
If youre playing on a budget, ignore everything I am about to say.
That said, the first thing you should do is optimize your land base. Take out the Evolving Wilds and Submerged Boneyards and put in Fetid Pools and Drowned Catacombs, and youll be good to go. Then, you could optimize your removal by putting in Fatal Push and maybe Vraska's Contempt, if you feel that you need it.
Good luck, I hope my advice helped you a bit!
3 weeks ago
Right. In your example, Hieroglyphic Illumination would go to exile after it resolves because it isn't being cycled.
4 weeks ago
Well to start in a Jhoira deck you don't have enough artifacts, particularly low cost ones. I think her main draw is the ability to churn through your deck and find the cards you need for a specific situation. There's also a lot of top end that doesn't fit in to the theme/strategy of the deck, like Slinn Voda and Etali. I'd recommend going up in artifacts, and then taking on The Antiquities War to turn them into some real threats.
Ideally artifacts that could really help this deck out are:
- Combustible Gearhulk
- Cultivator's Caravan
- Filigree Familiar
- Metalwork Colossus
- Panharmonicon - Especially good with Jhoira
- Prophetic Prism - Much, much better than Navigator's Compass
- Scrap Trawler
- Skysovereign, Consul Flagship
- The Immortal Sun
- Paradox Engine
- Torrential Gearhulk
- Walking Ballista
- Icy Manipulator
Also, some general cards that I think give you net negative card advantage/are generally pretty poor, and could be upgraded easily and cheaply:
- Rescue - It's basically a worse Unsummon, which itself isn't that great. A negate or, if you go up on artifacts, Metallic Rebuke would almost always be more useful
- Befuddle - Highly situational, and doesn't help you stop certain threats. Abrade or Lightning Strike are better alternatives for dealing with early-game threats
- Divination - Probably better to swap out for Hieroglyphic Illumination or Glimmer of Genius. The extra mana is more than made up for by it being at instant speed, and Illumination can be cycled early game to help you hit your land drops, while Glimmer lets you scry 2 before you draw and gives you energy
- Howling Golem - The current deck doesn't have an infinite combo that requires more card draw from you, so the symmetrical effect more often than not helps your opponent more than it helps you. I'd look for other creatures or artifacts to replace it
- Run Amok - While it might work in combat some of the time, its essentially works like a worse Lightning Strike, dealing 3 damage to an opponent/creature through combat damage rather than on the stack. I'd swap it out.
- Seismic Shift - Destroying a land might help some of the time against fliplands, but a Field of Ruin does a better job at that and doesn't cost you a playable slot. The unblockable ability is also highly situational, given how Jhoira wants to drown the opponent in card advantage more than the deck wants to force creatures through for combat damage. I'd drop it for another artifact/legendary to trigger Jhoira.
Overall I really like the Jhoira deck and congrats on pulling Karn! Most of the suggestions I made were common/uncommon cards and bulk rares, so it wouldn't take much to really overhaul this deck and make the most of Jhoira's ability. I guess my final comment is when in doubt, include cards that play off of your commander.
4 weeks ago
My questions are: If the card says cast from graveyard, can I put in my hand instead? Then I discard it and make a Drake.
Does this combo loop in any way that allows me to keep discarding, casting from graveyard, make a drake, discard, repeat?
Thanks in advance and yes I am very new to this.
If I am all wrong, how does this work?
1 month ago
Its important for any control deck to have a source of card advantage, and for a deck like this you want some instant-speed draw effects. Hieroglyphic Illumination and Glimmer of Genius are two extremely budget options, and Pull from Eternity is very nice as well. Commit / Memory is also a nice card is this type of deck, since its a soft counter, removal, and draw power all in one.
Finally, I think Field of Ruin is better than edge or ghost quarter because you really dont want to be losing mana in a control deck.