Kaya, Orzhov Usurper
Legendary Planeswalker — Kaya
+1: Exile up to two target cards from a single graveyard. You gain 2 life if at least one creature card was exiled this way.
-1: Exile target nonland permanent with converted mana cost 1 or less.
-5: Kaya, Orzhov Usurper deals damage to target player equal to the number of cards that player owns in exile and you gain that much life.
|Have (2)||Morpho-peleides , gildan_bladeborn|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Kaya, Orzhov Usurper Discussion
2 days ago
Update 9/25/21: Creature Pile
Picked up a Grenzo to do a more creature based strategy with.
1 month ago
I'd play less lands, probably around 24-25, play more Fatal Push and some Path to Exile in your sideboard. Maybe Ashiok, Dream Render in place of Dovin. I'm not a big fan of Gideon, Ally of Zendikar and I'd suggest Elspeth, Sun's Champion as a one or two-of at most. Inquisition of Kozilek is really good right now, I'd suggest playing three main. For sideboard I don't recommend more than one Flaying Tendrils. I'd play a few Path to Exile's like I said earlier as they're still the best answer for Murktide Regent and other large CMC threats that are hard to deal with using Prismatic Ending or Fatal Push. Can't always top deck Kaya's Guile to make the opp sac a creature.
Skyclave Apparition might be really good in this deck too.
Speaking of good right now, I'd play 4 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper as that card is really good right now.
It's cool, I like the idea playing a mid range, super grindy orzhov deck. All of the previous was just suggestions and personal opinion, obviously play whatever is fun for you. Is this intended to be FNM, competitive or kitchen table? I have more suggestions but it depends on how you answer lol. For instance I'd say play a set of Dauthi Voidwalker with more Ashiok, Dream Render because Ashiok's minus will exile all of those cards with Voidwalker counters on them.
1 month ago
Fair warning, I may not take your suggestions immediately, I'm try to better fit something together I can proxy up and test.
Grubbernaut My own playstyle leans more towards hand disruption then mill, which I my I've avoided having the Rest in Peace/Leyline of the Void/Kaya, Orzhov Usurper wincon, especially since it would mean I can't use anything like Extirpate/Surgical Extraction to further disrupt their hand/library. Doomskar and Wrath of God are becoming Damn. Currently I like the man lands over hall simply because their come with evasion and multiple colors. Counterspell will probably find a spot somewhere.
wallisface I'm worried about losing the Serum Visions, as I don't have a lot of draw effects, but you are right, I do need to fit in 2-3 more lands. Counterspell and Damn will probably both find spots, especially Damn. I'm still bouncing Prismatic Ending, Path to Exile and Anguished Unmaking for those slots, I do prefer just to kill stuff so I retarget later with grave disruption, but I'll probably need exile for some threats. I'm not sold on Murktide Regent, though I agree Haunting Echoes is too cute. Maybe Unmoored Ego there, as a two off?
1 month ago
Hey zapyourtumor, thanks so much for the detailed look! The deck is definitely still in the first iterations, so all these comments are super useful.
Sejiri Shelter Flip has been pretty good to me, but I did shave one off to the side because of that exact reason (ETB tapped land). The most useful thing about the MDFC's is that they can be pitched to the Incarnations, but Malakir Rebirth Flip is clearly superior for this deck. Protecting a Germ from an Archmage's Charm or giving Kaldra pseudo-unblockable has definitely saved my bacon a few times, though.
I generally stick to 2 max of a legendary creature in any given deck, but being able to pitch extra copies of Mavinda, Students' Advocate to Solitude makes it not nearly as bad to draw multiples. She's definitely a card I want to see every game and I've found 2 to be a little to infrequent to draw them consistently. Her being a flyer also makes her wield a Sword extra well.
Damn is mostly good to clear the entire board sans Kaldra Compleat, them being indestructible of course. Having the option to cast it single-target is nice, but yeah, Push and Solitude tend to cover that field generally well. Definitely like adding a Kaya's Guile to the mainboard though, I might be able to make some space for that. I agree that 2 yard hate cards in the entire 75 is too little. I was also looking at Thoughtseize but the problem I kept running into is that in no time, both decks run out of hand and then we're just topdecking, and I'm drawing all these cute synergy pieces one by one and the opponent just presents threat after threat and I lose. I'm trying for the more sustained value of blinking things and having a bit of recursion and card advantage, focusing more on sticking Kaldra and protecting them/clearing the way for them, than on the turn 1 Grief Ephemerate rip hands now I have a 3/2 and we both have no cards strategy. Maybe some more discard in the sideboard would do?
As for the hate cards:
Chalice of the Void looks real sweet and I might spring for two of them if they ever drop in price a bit. Chalice on one would kill most of my decks :')
Void Mirror kind of shoots my Incarnations in the foot, and I feel like Tron just gets around it by fetching a single Forest. I've considered Drannith Magistrate against Cascade though, and if I go back up to 3 Kaya's Guile I might be hedging enough to have a chance against Living End...
Stony Silence looks sweet and I should really get a few.
Kaya, Orzhov Usurper seems super strong. I can't believe I missed her when RNA came out!
Engineered Explosives is a card I run in CHARON // Seldom Headed Upriver, and it is absolutely bonkers with Lurrus. I got them when they were cheap though... When that reprint hits, I'm definitely getting some more!
1 month ago
Also, I'm not sure you need 3 whole Mavindas. I definitely like the effect but at the end of the day it's still a 3 cmc legendary creature that requires at at least 4 mana to get some value out of.
And for the removal package I don't know if this list wants 2x Damn. The deck feels pretty creature heavy, and the single target option is okay but not super optimal. I think one each of Vanishing Verse and Kaya's Guile could do better in that slot which would free up the sideboard for more hate cards. Also I think it would be good to find some slots for Inquisition of Kozilek/Thoughtseize mainboard, since hand disruption is midrange's best weapon against combo and 4x Grief is probably not enough.
Speaking of the sideboard, you have some extra removal options, 3 lessons, and 3 artifact/enchantment removal. I think you should definitely put in some more grave hate cards, since 2 Kaya's Guiles aren't enough to give midrange decks a chance against combo decks that abuse the graveyard. Since you don't want to ruin your own Malakir Rebirth Flip stuff I think one-sided hate like Leyline of the Void, Dauthi Voidwalker, and Soul-Guide Lantern would be better over something like RIP.
Some other hate cards:
Chalice of the Void for Footfalls Cascade, Living End, any deck with lots of 1 mana spells like Blitz/Hammertime
Void Mirror for Cascade, Living End, ETron, 5c Elementals, Affinity
Stony Silence for Hammertime, Kitchen
Kaya, Orzhov Usurper for extra grave hate, also hits all of the 1 mana creatures running around in the format and can deal with Kaldra mirror
Engineered Explosives for Cascade, Kitchen, Hammertime
2 months ago
Honestly I wouldn't run Syphon Life in the side unless you're running at least 4x Raven's Crime and 1x Dakmor Salvage in the main as being able to lock your opponent into discarding a card per turn is very strong in rack races, but the ability to turn that into Gaining 2 life against, say, burn, is very powerful. When I ran Smallpox 8-Rack MonoBlack, I ran 22 lands, and still found not enough, Flagstones of Trokair definitely helps a lot of that, but if you're needing lifegain, run Kaya, Orzhov Usurper , (with Rest in Peace , her Ult basically wins you the game).
3 months ago
JacenSolo29 as far as the next update goes, I’m waiting to see if there is anything else that drops from MH2, but I think we have the complete list now.
My first impressions are:
1) Faithless Salvaging - this works better than Thrill of Possibility since it can be cast on an empty hand and the rebound can’t be caught by hand disruption. Instant is nice if we really do want to cast on opponent’s end step. Then, if we draw an instant, we can cast with rebound on the stack to get full value.
2) Prismatic Ending - I personally really REALLY like this. Great against aggro, Humans, Jund, Ponza, Death's Shadow (minus Gurmag Angler ). See (https://strategy.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/home/is-prismatic-ending-the-new-swords-to-plowshares/)
3) Damn - again, LOVE IT! Definitely love the versatility, but I don’t know if it would replace Dreadbore (hits PWs), Fatal Push (instant and cheaper), or Engineered Explosives (can be triggered at instant speed and can be cheaper). Definitely a consideration for spots that previously included Damnation or Wrath of God .
4) General Ferrous Rokiric - I personally really like this. Immune to most removal (specifically EFFICIENT removal) such as Lightning Bolt , Path to Exile , Fatal Push , and Cryptic Command bouncing it. If you play a lot of multicolor spells, like Kolaghan's Command , Kaya's Guile , Kaya, Orzhov Usurper , Nahiri, the Harbinger , Dreadbore / Terminate , and Lightning Helix , then you definitely benefit from having this.
5) Dragon's Rage Channeler - this has a Magmatic Channeler feel to it and couples well with the graveyard-centric focus. If you opt for utility ARTIFACTS, like Mishra's Bauble , Damping Sphere , or Engineered Explosives , ENCHANTMENTS, like Blood Moon , or PLANESWALKERS, like Liliana of the Veil or any of the previously mentioned PWs, then you have an even easier time to activate Delirium. You do have to attack every turn, but having flying as evasion is really nice. Surveil is good if we start running more Flashback spells, like more Lingering Souls or Smiting Helix .
7) Obsidian Charmaw - OMG there are SO many Tron hate cards in this set, and I LOVE it. If Tron or Eldrazi Tron get more popular through all the hate from this set, then this would be great to add create a clock.
8) Vindicate - old EDH tech being added to Modern. I like the idea of destroying anything, but sorcery speed and 3 cmc, with everything else that has come into the game (and power creep), makes me unsure of its power. Could be what we need, but 3cmc is already crowded in the list.
9) Flame Blitz - UW/x, Jund, and maybe Tron typically run more PWs, so if we forgo running PWs, ourselves, then this serves as an extremely cheap PW hate card. Cycling is nice if we draw it and the opponent has side boarded out a majority of their PWs.
10) Harmonic Prodigy - if we bring back Young Pyromancer , add in Dark Confidant , and focus on Prowess, then I think this would rather have a home in a Feather, the Redeemed /spell-slinger deck. Still, it would be ok here, with the high spell count we run.
11) Sanctifier en-Vec - I don’t think we want to use this... definitely expect it in Burn or D&T lists against us.
12) Dauthi Voidwalker - now THIS we can use. Basically Sanctifier en-Vec , but unilateral hate and can help against Dredge or other recursion based decks. I like that we can sac on targeted removal and cast one of their spell(s). can conflict with our spells, but we are usually ok. If we get Blood Moon ed, we can usually laugh it off and power through it.
13) Bone Shards - in the primer, I’ve indicated that Mardu Pyro has different variants (spells/grave, PW, and Aristocrat/tokens). I feel this would slot nicely into an token deck, along with Village Rites , Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger , and Afterlife creatures.
14) Fury - at first glance, I’ve been conflicted. Seems ok as protection from aggro strategies, but I wish it had either 1 more toughness, did more damage, hit players, or cost less. It just seems... meh... I’m skeptical, but I’ve definitely been proven wrong before, so I’ll keep my mind open.
15) Mine Collapse - great if we run a bit more heavy on lands and run late. Too bad it doesn’t hit players though... a common theme from cards this set.
16) Arcbound Whelp / Esper Sentinel /Knighted Myr - another idea that has come to fruition from this set is Mardu Affinity. No, we won’t tech for Hardened Scales , but the removal suite that we run, in addition to these new artifact creatures (and lands!) is tempting enough to test some brews.
I hope this gives an idea of what we could change for the deck. The list was roughly done in the order of what we would tech in to the current build, but anything is possible! Let me know what you all think.
Edit: some of the cards (Knighted Myr, Mine Collapse, and Bone Shards) did not have the links set up in TappedOut as of the time of this post, so I do apologize for that.