Morphic pool enters the battlefield tapped unless you have two or more opponents.
: Gain or .
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Morphic Pool occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.07%
UB (Dimir): 1.32%
WUB (Esper): 0.6%
UBR (Grixis): 0.67%
BUG (Sultai): 0.58%
Morphic Pool Discussion
1 month ago
So back to your manabase - excellent. I think that for the price point you're working with this is excellent. But, there's always room for improvement. Obviously, if you can afford it going for a complete set of fetches is worth it but since budget is an issue, I would consider the addition of Prismatic Vista. Also I would go after the land cycle from Battlebond, specifically: Spire Garden, Luxury Suite, Morphic Pool, Sea of Clouds, and Bountiful Promenade. They're all essentially budget original dual lands, and since EDH is a multiplayer format it will be a rare occasion when these lands ever come into play tapped.
Now, what to cut? to make room for the Prismatic Vista I'd cut Terramorphic Expanse. Easy swap there. as for the aforementioned 5 lands i'd cut the tri-lands (Arcane Sanctum, Crumbling Necropolis, etc.) . They're strictly worse in that they will always come in tapped. Sure, you're losing a 3rd color you could potentially tap for...but the pro outweighs the con.
1 month ago
Thinking about adding in Sword of the Animist to help get us some lands.
I'd also like to add Sword of Fire and Ice, Sword of Light and Shadow, and Sword of Feast and Famine but these have proven to be expensive so will be added further down the line. Mana Crypt would also be added if I could justify spending $200. Maybe a future addition when I have a ton of store credit banked up.
If you have any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them, please leave justification for the suggestion.
2 months ago
Lands to consider: Prismatic Vista, Blood Crypt, Bloodstained Mire, Bountiful Promenade, Breeding Pool, Clifftop Retreat, Command Tower, Dragonskull Summit, Drowned Catacomb, Exotic Orchard, Fabled Passage, Flooded Strand, Glacial Fortress, Godless Shrine, Hallowed Fountain, Hinterland Harbor, Isolated Chapel, Mana Confluence, Marsh Flats, Misty Rainforest, Morphic Pool, Overgrown Tomb, Polluted Delta, Reflecting Pool, Sacred Foundry, Sea of Clouds, Steam Vents, Stomping Ground, Sulfur Falls, Sunpetal Grove, Temple Garden, Verdant Catacombs, Watery Grave, Windswept Heath, Woodland Cemetery
3 months ago
Since $500 isn't reasonable for everyone, I thought it may be good to include some substitutions to allow a lower budget. See below for a few changes to consider that will decrease the cost while maintaining the basic strategy the deck. Please note that prices are current and will likely change.
Remove: (~$38.25) Bitterblossom
These changes will reduce the cost by $200... for deeper cuts, things to look at would be:
Cost with all changes: $230
3 months ago
In a deck like this, one of the first things that comes to mind is Lim-Dul's Vault . It's an instant-speed tutor that helps smooth things out. You can also throw in a few targeted kill spells, since that seems like it could be good (depending on playgroup): I would recommend Vindicate , Anguished Unmaking , and Capsize .
I would avoid City of Brass , since having Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth doesn't stop you from damage. Mana Confluence is perhaps less dangerous. If you want more duals, you also can use Sea of Clouds and Morphic Pool .
If you want to annoy people, maybe Mistbind Clique could be fun. Hushbringer means that you would just have instead a big 4/4 with no drawback for 4, but no Hushbringer can really screw with your opponent. (Which is always fun.) And speaking of annoyances, I find Thalia, Heretic Cathar to be much more irritating to opponents than Blind Obedience .
If you're fine with Planeswalkers, there are a few I would recommend! Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver , Teferi, Time Raveler , Elspeth, Sun's Champion , and maybe Kaya, Ghost Assassin all come to mind as potentially useful.
In any event, faeries are lots of fun! Hopefully you make your opponents go "WTF" a lot...
5 months ago
Check out my Atraxa Deck. Been working on it for about 2 years. This removal package and pillow fort/tokens strategy has been working great. I do plan on changing some walkers though.
For a budget build, the expensive artifacts can be replaced by Land ramp: Farseek , Cultivate , Kodama's Reach . The dual lands can be replaced with the Battlebond Lands: Sea of Clouds , Morphic Pool , etc. And the Fecthlands can be slightly replaced by the newer Basic Land fetches and adding some Snow Lands.
5 months ago
Wow, lots of good card here. It's not every day I see a Candelabra of Tawnos :)
I don't think you're taking enough advantage of having a sac outlet in the Command Zone. Grimgrin's no mana cost sac is his strongest ability.
- Undead Augur > Walking Corpse
- Midnight Reaper > Graveshifter
- Diregraf Captain > Gravedigger
- Plague Belcher > Ingenious Infiltrator
- Relentless Dead > Tattered Mummy
These Zombies give you value when another Zombie dies, when one is saced by Grimgrin.
Some other upgrades to consider:
- Brainstorm > Divination
- Ponder > Scour All Possibilities
- Phyrexian Altar > Ashnod's Altar
- Necropotence > Gruesome Fate
- Diabolic Intent > Grave Betrayal
- Buried Alive > Witchbane Orb
- Reanimate > Return from Extinction
- Animate Dead > Finale of Eternity
- Cyclonic Rift > Kindred Dominance
- Counterspell > Exclude
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier > Risen Executioner
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel > Necromaster Dragon
- Apprentice Necromancer > Graveshifter
- Carrion Feeder > Stronghold Assassin
Black is too important of the color to have in the early game because the majority of Zombies are black not blue. 10x Island is a lot I suggest cutting lots of Islands and replacing them with other playable Dimir dual lands.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Scour All Possibilities
- Gruesome Fate
- Return from Extinction
- Walking Corpse
- Tattered Mummy
- Ingenious Infiltrator
- Stronghold Assassin
- Necromaster Dragon
- Argentum Armor
- Door of Destinies
- Grave Betrayal
- Finale of Eternity
- Kindred Dominance
- Ashnod's Altar
Good luck with your deck.
5 months ago
Ok, let's go THCue!
As far as lands go, I completely agree with you. One of my (very) long term plans is to replace all slow lands with more efficient duals. I guess it'll happen over time, otherwise I'll just put in some basics instead. My main concern is that "good" duals like Watery Grave , Morphic Pool etc. are very pricy and I don't think they'll go down any time soon.
- I have a Crawlspace in my binder, I might as well try it myself. I wanted to stray from pillowforting, but it's a bit of a necessity in deck's like these after all.
- Mask of Avacyn is good protection, but doesn't grant haste. Actually, only Swiftfoot Boots and Lightning Greaves do such double function and I'm happy with them, as of now.
- Mind Grind is very powerful, but needs a lot of mana to be useful, something I'm sometimes struggling to get to. I have it in the binder, I might try it again sometime.
- Ritual of Soot is a good selective wrath, but I feel like it might not impact the board enough to be really useful, at least in my meta.
- Regarding the fact of having tapped creatures, I must tell you that it's not a problem actually. When a creature is not affected by summoning sickness anymore, you can tap it for Phenax's ability. This doesn't mean that you have to do it right away. I usually keep the creature/s untapped for the whole rotation and tap them to mill only in response at my last opponent's end step (right before the start of my next turn). This means they stay untapped for the whole rotation!