|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Gain control of target spell. You may choose new targets for it. (If that spell becomes a permanent, it enters the battlefield under your control.)
1 month ago
So, I don't ever actually play Commandeer and was unfamiliar with its text. It was simply the first "gain control of a spell" card that I thought of. Change "... was not a spell that was Commandeer ed .." to "... was not a spell that was Aethersnatch ed..." in my previous reply.
8 months ago
It is a fun theme, for sure. Since you've put Ramos as the commander, an on-theme card you might want is Dragon's Hoard . Fixing and a cantrip as soon as you cast Ramos? Yes, please. Bonehoard and Kothophed, Soul Hoarder are both good and on-theme, too.
Trash for Treasure and Treasure Nabber could be good if you incorporate an artifact theme, and if you want to go deeper on the graveyard, Treasure Cruise goes well with Trash For Treasure and Bonehoard if you want to fill the graveyard.
Faithless Looting is always good, and Looter il-Kor is a pet card of mine. Merfolk Looter is okay, as well. Smuggler's Copter might be stretching the theme, but Thada Adel, Acquisitor is both flavorful and fits the theme and an artifact subtheme.
It's not a great mana rock, but Gold Myr helps you splash white, and the flavor is spot-on, same for Silver Myr . Secrets of the Golden City is an underrated commander card, and you shouldn't have much trouble turning on the city's blessing. Again, if you put in some graveyard shennanigans and looting, Tasigur, the Golden Fang is as greedy as they come. Debtors' Knell goes well with graveyards and control, too.
Villainous Wealth just oozes flavor.
Increasing Ambition is pretty good, especially if you're going for a combo finish.
8 months ago
Let me start by saying I've been playing Mizzix since he was released, and I've constantly strived to make my [[Primer]] Knowledge & Flame deck the best it can be. I'd like to believe with a 96% competitive rating, and the fact that I RARELY lose with the deck means it's a solid deck. As such it has seen several iterations and I've tried playing all kinds of cards... So here's a bit of advice.
I only have 17 cards that aren't spells that Mizzix can discount, 6 of which is Ramp. I only have two creatures, Niv-Mizzet, Parun (I'm testing him for extra draw power and secondary win con) and Laboratory Maniac as one of my main win cons. Of the 9 cards remaining 2 cards help me with consistent draw power, 2 are to protect Mizzix, 2 win me the game, and the rest are just there. Now I'm telling you all this because even with me having so little cards that aren't reduced by Mizzix I STILL end up with them sitting in my hand for ages for fear of tapping out and not having a counterspell up. So there are a lot of cards you have in this deck that do not directly add to your winning... And some cards that just don't play well with a deck that wants to either combo out or burn everyone into the ground.
Here are some suggested cuts:
- Invert // Invent: Invert does nothing really, and Invent is WAY too expensive for what it does.
- Seething Song: Just trade it out for Desperate Ritual so that you can tutor Reiterate and Desperate Ritual with Firemind's
- Keranos, God Of Storms: Great card, but honestly it's just a win more card, this won't win you the game.
- Melek, Izzet Paragon: I played with this for awhile but at the end of the day it's the same as Keranos
- Blatant Thievery: It's a great card, but it always felt lackluster for me because it requires your opponents to have a good board state, which obviously you don't want. I'd suggest Aethersnatch in it's place because then your opponent just plays a spell for you.
- Ignite Memories/Mind's Desire: Storm cards are good but they don't get you the game. In fact I have whiffed both of those spells more times than I can count! I'd say go for something a bit more certain.
- Mizzium Mortars: I just think that this doesn't kill a LOT of creatures in this format Blasphemous Act is strictly better.
- Stolen Goods: It's too easy for this to be a bad card. what if it's a Rampant Growth or vanilla 2/2 or a lord that doesn't do squat for you. Just too RNG
- Temporal Fissure: Too expensive and again it's too easy to whiff the storm aspect
- Sentinel Tower: It just makes you a target, unless you are committing to storm.
- Future Sight: As a blue player you always want people to assume you have a counterspell, or don't want others to know you have a counterspell... This crushes that. If you REALLY need this effect, which I think isn't worthwhile, Precognition Field is better.
- Sunbird's Invocation: WAY TOO EXPENSIVE, and it's strictly just a win more card.
I know I stated a lot of cards are too expensive and you are playing mizzix but assume mizzix isn't on the table because he will be killed or a target 90% of the time.
Here are some cards I'd highly suggest playing:
- The Usuals: I know it's expensive but... Mana Drain , Force of Will , and Pact of Negation I feel are absolutely necessary for this deck.
- Lightning Bolt : I know someone told you to take this out... but... Firemind's plus 4 experience counters means you win the game. You dig for infinite mana with Reiterat+Reality Spasm/Desperate Ritual and grab lightning bolt to copy infinite times with infinite mana casting reiterate on it infinitely. It's a one card combo basically.
- Mission Briefing
- Power Sink : At worst its a counterspell at best it forces someone to pass turn.
- Disallow : One of the best counters in the game.
- Fuel for the Cause
- Increasing Vengeance
- Nexus of Fate
- Scour from Existence
- Coldsteel Heart
- Pyromancer's Goggles
- Darksteel Plate
- Fanning the Flames
- Mana Geyser
- Time Stretch
- Mystic Retrieval
- Mystic Speculation
Sorry I know I posted a lot but I'm really passionate about this deck, and I love to see mizzix players succeed.
11 months ago
You've got counterspells so Asceticism can get cut plus it doesn't protect from board wipes. Besides it's your artifacts that are more important.
Cut Genesis Wave you have to many instants and sorcery spells.
Aethersnatch Its not strong enough.
Cut Mirror Match, unless you find yourself going up against slivers or other strong creature based decks. If you want to keep this then go ahead. But I think you've got enough counterspells to stop the real threats.
11 months ago
I thing coolest thing to do here is add flash speed spells. Leyline of Anticipation, and Vedalken Orrery. Are both really strong here other spells that fit right in are Aethersnatch,Commandeer, Counterlash, Gather Specimens, Kindred Summons, Mirror Match, Nexus of Fate, AEtherspouts, Desertion, Mystic Confluence, Spell Swindle
I would also look into artifact ramp with unwinding clock to untap them to put more mana in the pool. Cards like Victory Chimes are perfect
1 year ago
1 year ago
@KablamoBoom If you were to Dominate Sleeper Agent you still don't get to retarget its ETB effect. People explained it but I see there is still some misunderstandings. MTGArena or Xmage is great at visualizing this type of stuff, but imagine the ETB as a separate "card", popping on the stack. You can remove the creature card from the battlefield, but its trigger "card" is still on the stack and is controlled by the person on whose side the creature entered the battlefield. Therefore with effects like Dominate that target stuff already on the battlefield, you don't control the ETB trigger and can't retarget it. Imagine we are playing commander with a third person. He casts Sleeper Agent and it resolves. He says "Madcookie will get the creature", you cast Dominate, before the trigger has resolved and steal it. Then the trigger which exists on the stack as "Madcookie gains control of this object eg.Sleeper Agent" resolves and you lose control of the creature and I gain control of it and will lose 2 life on my upkeep if it is still there.
Lastly I suggested Aethersnatch because I got the feeling you were interested in getting a certain ETB. Once a creature has entered the battlefield any ETB from it go on the stack and are controlled by the person whose side of the battlefield it entered play and as far as I know there aren't any cards that can steal triggers from the stack.
Aethersnatch occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%