|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
As Secluded Glen enters the battlefield, you may reveal a Faerie card from your hand. If you don't, Secluded Glen enters the battlefield tapped.
Tap: Add (Blue) or (Black) to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (10)||rebelteddybear , fireborne1986 , , continuum , warcry02 , prete182 , knto , tangrams , TehDelta , Boza|
|Want (15)||Cetriel , DelRioPlaneswalker , CrunchyPelvis , Statharas , Morbidtooth , PeteVasi , XxCataclysmiCxX , Jspeed , SacredKittay , thevolvowhisperer , Seventy7INa45 , mtgfortheboyz , firemind12 , sirbar , N3M0|
Secluded Glen Discussion
3 weeks ago
How's your manabase working out for you? I'd strongly recommend City of Brass and Mana Confluence - since you're starting with 40 life, they're basically Command Towers #2 and 3. Path of Ancestry is also flat-out better than any of the taplands, even if you never get its scry ability.
In addition, if you're running one of each changeling, you should try and use the tribal lands from Lorwyn, since they often perform as dual lands without a drawback! That would include Secluded Glen, Wanderwine Hub, Ancient Amphitheater, Gilt-Leaf Palace, Auntie's Hovel and Murmuring Bosk.
1 month ago
Here's some land recommendations to both speed up the deck and give them more utility. All recommendations are under $20.
Lands to swap:
Sunken Hollow instead of Rupture Spire
Underground River instead of Shimmering Grotto
Morphic Pool instead of Transguild Promenade
Drowned Catacomb instead of Grixis Panorama
Tainted Isle instead of Esper Panorama
Since you don't need to fetch a lot of basics, I'd swap a few basics for dual lands to ensure you always have your colors, ~10 basics is more than enough for a deck
Creeping Tar Pit
Utility Lands worth including:
Temple of the False God
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
Field of Ruin
Tolaria West (Transmute this land, to fetch another one you need)
Crypt of Agadeem
Spire of Industry
Shizo, Death's Storehouse
Hall of the Bandit Lord
3 months ago
Hey veeonix, thank you for the advices and analysis. This is super interesting.
- Zephyr Sprite is really not impressive, and I would gladly cut it for basically anything. But it enables Spellstutter Sprite on turn 2 and there are very few playable 1 CMC faeries in modern unfortunately...
- Frankly I hesitated a lot for Favorable Winds main board, it is a very good lord here but it is also sorcery speed and a loss of tempo. I am not a fan of Metallic Mimic for the lack of evasion and the sorcery speed also, could be worth trying, tho'.
- For the lands, I must admit I completely forgot about Choke, I should clearly diversify the mana base. Secluded Glenis indeed a good inclusion that come into untapped. I would avoid Unclaimed Territory as it makes casting spells harder and all the pain lands as we tend to not have a lot of blockers and the loosing the race to ourself is a very real possibility.
- I like the idea of counting Faerie Conclave as a creature, I will try the full playset.
I also thought of Mutavault, it is technically a faerie and it comes in play untapped.
So there are indeed a lot of bouncing in that deck, to gain tempo by bouncing the opponent's stuff and saving my stuff, but I also bounce for value. Most of my creatures have ETB effects (Unsummon on Spellstutter Sprite the recast the sprite is a very common line of play), and the soft lock is basically my best out if the game gets long. This being said, may there are too much indeed. Dismember seems nice but I have a big doubt on paining myself for 4, depends on the matchups but it hurts. Pongify seems really bad because again I don't have many ways to block well and it seems to me like the best way to loose the race.
On the general balance I see the point on creature vs spell balance, but I don't really know what creature to add. Vendilion Clique is a clear answer but it is not super budget, should I add more Pestermite ? Maybe a third Mistbind Clique but 4 CMC is so much...
My sideboard makes no sense for sure, it is a bunch of random cards that I own already and that can be useful at some point. But I really have a hard time make it.
Thanks again for the comment, I will brew it some more, and come up with a new version.
4 months ago
You have a good build with good synergy here. I just threw down some thoughts on cards that are hopefully all budget enough to consider. Most of these are super cheap on mtgo which makes that a good program to play on for brewing budget options. You are looking at up to $0.25 a card (usually much less) instead of $2
I like Glen Elendra Liege but why not drop those for two more Scion of Oona? You have no blue and black creatures and all your creatures are faeries so it seems much better. If you want more than 4 of those effects, then I would go to Glen Elendra Liege.
Have you considered Despise or Duress for other turn 1 plays? Inquisition of Kozilek is not too expensive if within budget. You do rely on throwing out creatures and swinging wide so perhaps not playing these is best.
Secluded Glen seems much better than Dismal Backwater but quite pricey. River of Tears may work well for you. Faerie Conclave may be a good option but I wouldn't play more than 2 because you do not want too many tapped lands in this build. Mutavault is a powerhouse in faeries with how it interacts with Spellstutter Sprite and in this case Thieving Sprite. However, 4 Mutavault cost more than the whole deck currently and as much as one Bitterblossom.
Your biggest fear is board wipes post sideboarding. I would recommend Spell Pierce, Negate, or Countersquall. I would also play Nihil Spellbomb in the sideboard for graveyard hate. I love Shadow of Doubt to hit fetchlands or combo decks but Squelch can be a fun budget option. Disdainful Stroke is also a very good budget counterspell.
Another upgrade path for this deck would be to focus on the go wide flying theme and splash white (perhaps use fast lands in esper colors). Key card is Pride of the Clouds while not a faerie becomes huge when you have a few faeries out. Spell Queller is also a good card that you cannot pass up if playing blue/white flyers. Selfless Spirit protects from board wipes. Adding in these cards decreases usefullness of Scion of Oona and may make sense to move back to Glen Elendra Liege
7 months ago
Ooh, Faeries. I play with Faeries a lot, so, naturally, a few ideas came to mind.
- I'm not a fan of Mind Sculptor in the deck. Yes, he's powerful, but he's a sorcery-speed four-mana spell that doesn't win the game immediately. Liliana's a much better fit here, especially being able to recur your faeries for even more fun.
- Something I always recommend with Faerie decks is Cavern of Souls, and, in your case, you play a lot of wizards, so you can name that. Also in terms of landbase, I don't like Tar Pit, as it comes in too slow, and would suggest Secluded Glen instead.
- I like using Scion of Oona, as it helps to protect your faeries (including Bitterblossom!) and smash face when that time comes. Four may be too much, but a few seem like good options.
- In terms of hand disruption, my view is that Thoughtseize is pretty important: it's proactive threat neutralization for one mana (and two life), though Inquisition of Kozilek is perhaps better in the early game.
- As crazy as it sounds, with all the blue you have in the deck, Commandeer may be a good option in the sideboard. It swipes Planeswalkers and big spells otherwise (ex. Part the Waterveil in the "oops all turns" builds), plus it costing zero mana means it can often come from nowhere. You also have Imp's Mischief as a very unexpected misdirection-like effect.
As for specific deck answers...
- I run Hurkyl's Recall as a sideboard answer for Affinity/Lantern: two mana to bounce almost anything can be a lifesaver.
- For storm (I don't know if it's very popular where you are), consider both Mindbreak Trap and Nimble Obstructionist. The latter can also serve as a 3/1 blocker/face smasher and can also stop nasty effects you don't want to deal with.
- To deal with graveyards and graveyard shenanigans, either Extirpate, Leyline of the Void, Relic of Progenitus, or Surgical Extraction are all potentially good options to consider. I'm a fan of the Relic, but Leyline's useful as well in that it comes out on turn 0 if needed.
10 months ago
Interesting idea. As a Faerie Tribal EDH player, may I suggest a few changes to really go all out on the Faerie theme?
- Pitch 2x Spellstutter Sprite and replace with 2x Glen Elendra Archmage.
- Pitch 2x Spell Snare for 2x Disallow. Pitch the other 2 for 2x Spell Pierce.
- Pitch 2x Remand for 2x Faerie Trickery.
- Pitch 2x Ancestral Recall for 2x Brainstorm.
- Pitch 1x Fatal Push for 1x Faerie Tauntings.
- Pitch 1x Island for 1x Faerie Tauntings.
- Pitch 2x Wydwen, the Biting Gale for 2x Glen Elendra Liege.
- Pitch 4x Mutavault for 4x Faerie Conclave.
- Pitch 4x Darkslick Shores for 4x Secluded Glen.
I'd also recommend putting 3x Doom Blade in your sideboard, replacing the 3x Surgical Extraction with 3x Slaughter Pact, replacing the 3x Annul with 3x Stubborn Denial and the 3x Thoughtseize with 3x Notorious Throng.
Finding a way to get a couple of Faerie Impostor in there would be great too, as their requirement that you bounce a creature back to your hand is a great way to replay all those lovely ETB effects faeries like Vendillion Clique and Faerie Miscreant have. Maybe cut 1 Miscreant and 1 Scion?
11 months ago
Thank you for the suggestions! The reason I had the Mutavault in the deck is because they can be championed by Mistbind Clique or used to help Spellstutter Sprite. I do like the idea of substitutingSecluded Glen for Creeping Tar Pit. I also like it because it is cheaper. :)
11 months ago
This looks really good for a first deck. The only things I would change is maybe adding a couple more fetches. I'm not certain why Mutavault is here, though I could be overlooking something. 4 colorless lands will make it that much harder to have consistent turn 4 Cryptic mana open. 3 manlands is plenty, 7 is a bit too much. So maybe go -4 Mutavault, +2 Flooded Strand, +2 Secluded Glen/Watery Grave? Otherwise this looks great. Even the sideboard is solid, just need to bring it up to 15.