|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
As Secluded Glen enters the battlefield, you may reveal a Faerie card from your hand. If you don't, Secluded Glen enters the battlefield tapped.
Tap: Add (Blue) or (Black) to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (9)||rebelteddybear , fireborne1986 , , warcry02 , prete182 , knto , tangrams , TehDelta , Boza|
|Want (10)||Cetriel , DelRioPlaneswalker , CrunchyPelvis , Statharas , test12030 , Morbidtooth , PeteVasi , XxCataclysmiCxX , firemind12 , sirbar|
Secluded Glen Discussion
3 months ago
Ooh, Faeries. I play with Faeries a lot, so, naturally, a few ideas came to mind.
- I'm not a fan of Mind Sculptor in the deck. Yes, he's powerful, but he's a sorcery-speed four-mana spell that doesn't win the game immediately. Liliana's a much better fit here, especially being able to recur your faeries for even more fun.
- Something I always recommend with Faerie decks is Cavern of Souls, and, in your case, you play a lot of wizards, so you can name that. Also in terms of landbase, I don't like Tar Pit, as it comes in too slow, and would suggest Secluded Glen instead.
- I like using Scion of Oona, as it helps to protect your faeries (including Bitterblossom!) and smash face when that time comes. Four may be too much, but a few seem like good options.
- In terms of hand disruption, my view is that Thoughtseize is pretty important: it's proactive threat neutralization for one mana (and two life), though Inquisition of Kozilek is perhaps better in the early game.
- As crazy as it sounds, with all the blue you have in the deck, Commandeer may be a good option in the sideboard. It swipes Planeswalkers and big spells otherwise (ex. Part the Waterveil in the "oops all turns" builds), plus it costing zero mana means it can often come from nowhere. You also have Imp's Mischief as a very unexpected misdirection-like effect.
As for specific deck answers...
- I run Hurkyl's Recall as a sideboard answer for Affinity/Lantern: two mana to bounce almost anything can be a lifesaver.
- For storm (I don't know if it's very popular where you are), consider both Mindbreak Trap and Nimble Obstructionist. The latter can also serve as a 3/1 blocker/face smasher and can also stop nasty effects you don't want to deal with.
- To deal with graveyards and graveyard shenanigans, either Extirpate, Leyline of the Void, Relic of Progenitus, or Surgical Extraction are all potentially good options to consider. I'm a fan of the Relic, but Leyline's useful as well in that it comes out on turn 0 if needed.
5 months ago
Interesting idea. As a Faerie Tribal EDH player, may I suggest a few changes to really go all out on the Faerie theme?
- Pitch 2x Spellstutter Sprite and replace with 2x Glen Elendra Archmage.
- Pitch 2x Spell Snare for 2x Disallow. Pitch the other 2 for 2x Spell Pierce.
- Pitch 2x Remand for 2x Faerie Trickery.
- Pitch 2x Ancestral Recall for 2x Brainstorm.
- Pitch 1x Fatal Push for 1x Faerie Tauntings.
- Pitch 1x Island for 1x Faerie Tauntings.
- Pitch 2x Wydwen, the Biting Gale for 2x Glen Elendra Liege.
- Pitch 4x Mutavault for 4x Faerie Conclave.
- Pitch 4x Darkslick Shores for 4x Secluded Glen.
I'd also recommend putting 3x Doom Blade in your sideboard, replacing the 3x Surgical Extraction with 3x Slaughter Pact, replacing the 3x Annul with 3x Stubborn Denial and the 3x Thoughtseize with 3x Notorious Throng.
Finding a way to get a couple of Faerie Impostor in there would be great too, as their requirement that you bounce a creature back to your hand is a great way to replay all those lovely ETB effects faeries like Vendillion Clique and Faerie Miscreant have. Maybe cut 1 Miscreant and 1 Scion?
6 months ago
Thank you for the suggestions! The reason I had the Mutavault in the deck is because they can be championed by Mistbind Clique or used to help Spellstutter Sprite. I do like the idea of substitutingSecluded Glen for Creeping Tar Pit. I also like it because it is cheaper. :)
6 months ago
This looks really good for a first deck. The only things I would change is maybe adding a couple more fetches. I'm not certain why Mutavault is here, though I could be overlooking something. 4 colorless lands will make it that much harder to have consistent turn 4 Cryptic mana open. 3 manlands is plenty, 7 is a bit too much. So maybe go -4 Mutavault, +2 Flooded Strand, +2 Secluded Glen/Watery Grave? Otherwise this looks great. Even the sideboard is solid, just need to bring it up to 15.
9 months ago
You have one too many card in your sideboard, but that's separate...
Anyways, I would honestly run Secluded Glen with the number of Faeries you're playing. It's a dual land that doesn't (normally) come into play tapped, and that's quite useful in faster match-ups (where you WANT Bitterblossom to drop as soon as possible).
I also like Scion of Oona, as it's extra protection for your Bitterblossom. You may not need four of them (though I run four), but it really does help. Similarly, I might also run Cavern of Souls to make your Faeries and/or Wizards uncounterable. (Which is useful.)
I'm also not a big fan of Ancestral Vision, as it's REALLY slow for you. (Four turns later, they can quite easily counter it or win by then; to me, your turn 1 play should be a bit more impactful.) For extra card draw, I run Opt.
I do also run a mix of Dismember and Slaughter Pact in Sideboard in addition to Fatal Push, as both of those hit other things that the others don't. Likewise, to deal with other problematic decks, I have Mindbreak Trap, Hurkyl's Recall, and Nimble Obstructionist in sideboard to be able to handle some other decks a bit more easily.
Also, I'm a fan of Mistbind Clique, as it's a nice out if your Bitterblossom's getting ready to kill you. It also slows down your opponent, which is an additional plus, and a 4/4 flyer for 4 isn't anything to sneeze at.
10 months ago
Recently updated to the current metagame. Timestamp: 9/11/17 two weeks prior to Ixalan release. Opt will be entering Modern legality with the release!
So here's a pretty swell update coming at you guys! I know I've been away from the community for a while but I haven't been away from magic. The metagame as it stands is currently dominated by Eldrazi Tron and Grixis Death's Shadow. Both strongly synergistic decks built on completely different axes.
This list has been updated just after the announcement of Lorwyn Thoughtseize art being cemented in Iconic Masters! OCD friends rejoice with me as I collect the last three gorgeous foils I need to finish this project!!
After having just missed Day 2 at the SCG Open in Syracuse in August, going 6-3 only losing my first round and two back to back to two pro players in rounds 7 and eight, I'm confident this deck has what it takes to compete in the metagame.
All those disclaimers aside, let's get down to the adjustments made to the main and sideboards. Sword of Feast and Famine and Remand are now a thing of the past and Smuggler's Copter didn't get us too far, either. While I firmly believe Sword of Feast and Famine is easily oyr best sword option, I think it's pretty fair to state that with faeries there's always a bit of "less is more" feel in that, while we're on tempo, we're seeing a variety of spells, doing us a number of different useful things. Most games on the tempo plan want us to drop Bitterblossom early and protect it as efficiently as possible. Yes, it is a lynch pin, but having it removed puts Smuggler's Copter dead in the water and your manlands at much higher risk of removal.
All in all, I feel like the incoming reprint of Opt in Ixalan will greatly strengthen our tempo plan, giving us instant acess to a filter off the top of our library whenever the mana is free to allow! I'm excited to see the consistency this card allows us in comparison to how it helps everyone else. It could be that Opt is genuinely only good for Storm and Tempo. Which is both good and bad for us because our good draw spells usually end up in Storm. I don't know if the single blue mana filter is enough for Storm to care about, but it feels pretty clutch compared to Serum Visions for instant speed Faeries builds.
Small changes to the land base and side include: Down a Secluded Glen (which should optimally all be replaced by Flooded Strands) and a Watery Grave for two Ghost Quarter To fight Eldrazi Temples, Tron Pieces and Manlands. I think I'd like these to be Tectonic Edge moving forward into a metagame without Eldrazi Temple. I'm hopeful for an Eldrazi Temple banning in Modern in the future, as the sheer overwhelming rude factor of Eldrazi Tron aggro continues to edge out Grixis Death's Shadow, a fragile deck that folds fairly easily to us. In the side we lost a few trinkets from metagames long past and gained Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet for our red Matchups, the more resilient and tempo oriented Countersquall for Blood Moon opponents and anyone trying to go off without dudes. We've also added Ceremonious Rejection to combat ETRON, colored Tron varients, Affinity, and Lantern Control. Actually considering going up to a full 4 in the side as one mana answers to all of those decks is highly relevant.
Moving forward I'm looking to pick up the last couple foils for this deck and add in some Opt action when Ixalan hits! I think faeries is very comfortable in the format to come, and even the tap out varients with Liliana of the Veil and Liliana, the Last Hope are doing well. I'm in the process of acquiring copies of both to go into testing with.
1 year ago
My aim was to possibly change the deck into a Zombie-summoning deck, and thus as soon as Hour of Devastation is out I'm gonna try to replace Silumgar, the Drifting Death for The Scarab God, but I really like Lazav, Dimir Mastermind for copying large creatures after they get destroyed by Murder, Counterspell, or by Jace, Memory Adept. Thanks for the recommendation!
As for the land issue, for the moment the deck works more or less with a few mana-fixers - Liliana of the Dark Realms being the main one, if I get her final ability ready. However possibly swapping out some high-cast spells or creatures - or Tezzeret, Master of Metal as he really is somewhat useless outside of an artifact army - for lands like Dimir Aqueduct, Dismal Backwater, Secluded Glen, Watery Grave, or even Westvale Abbey would be useful.
As for making a theme for my deck, I'm not entirely sure if I should aim for counterspells and discards or Zombie Army. Either way I'm seeing this deck as possibly splitting off into two Jace/Liliana centered decks... Thanks again for the recommendations.
1 year ago
AverageMtgPlayer: That's a pretty valid critique. The majority of the revisions I've made have focused on narrowing the theme of the deck and increasing the survivability of my fun creatures. I added Secluded Glen way back when and haven't re-evaluated the mana base since then.
TL;DR: It's in here as a reminder to add a cheaper and more useful source of U/B (possibly even from Amonkhet, if I get lucky).