Creature — Rat
: Crypt Rats deals X damage to each creature and each player. Spend only black mana on X.
|Want (2)||pendraggon , Morpho-peleides|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Crypt Rats Discussion
1 month ago
Hey, you're welcome.
In my last comment I said "there's quite a few cards that look out of place" what I mean by this are cards that are creatures who you don't want to or can't cheat onto the battlefield with Kaalia, cards that don't help Kaalia in any way or support that's simply not worth the mana cost of the card. You have many more good cards than subpar ones and I don't want to discourage your deck building, but the rest of this comment are examples of cards that don't belong.
- Auntie's Hovel: not enough Goblins.
- Ancient Amphitheater: there isn't a Giant here.
- Oswald Fiddlebender: powerful card, one of my favs from the set, but it needs artifacts for fuel as well as having an artifact that you want to search for. Only 11 artifacts isn't enough to play this guy.
- Wall of Reverence: you simply don't need this card to gain life since it can't be cheated onto the battlefield with Kaalia or can even attack. Any Angel who has lifelink would be a better source of life.
- Serra Angel: in this day and age of Magic Serra is the definition of subpar. Any other five drop Angel with lifelink would be an upgrade for her.
- Guttersnipe: It's not a bad card, but you need a lot of instants or sorceries to fuel it's damage trigger. Having only 18 instants or sorceries out of the other 99 cards is not enough to play Guttersnipe.
- Isochron Scepter: it's an expensive card here that doesn't have a lot fuel. Like Guttersnipe there's not enough instants, but even worse is Scepter can only interact with instants that are 2 or less mana thus there's only 9 options of 99 cards in the deck.
- Mutilate: with only 6 Swamps you're counting too much on controlling Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth for Multilate to have enough Swamps to be playable.
- Crypt Rats: same as Mutilate you're counting too much on controlling Urborg to have enough black mana sources.
1 month ago
1 month ago
Balaam__ you can use evasive Lifelink and deathtouch, vampires, and drain your opponent, or you can use Crypt Rats, which is the better Pestilence, and hit the board and your opponent, with maybe a few burn spells, removal, hand distraction or land hate, it would still be burn in my opinion.
2 months ago
linksdeity! Hi sir, it is an honour hearing from you! In my opinion you wrote the (black)bible on Volrath. My deck has drawn so much inspiration from your deck. Thank you for all your tips - what I should have mentioned in the original post is that my deck focuses on cards with old-school borders, so some of your suggestions are out of my reach, but the suggestions that I can use, are included in my deck ;) I have less protection than you, which I hope to make up for in my new playgroup with more recursion. I love your instant speed boardwipe strategy, which I could do with Winding Canyons and Crypt Rats ! Now I can't have Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth so I was thinking maybe Blanket of Night - but maybe that is too coincidental? Also are the swords THAT good? I just got Sword of Light and Shadow, would 2 more be worth it to include at the expense of evasion? I think I could possibly get Sword of Feast and Famine, and surely the newer ones.
Anyways, thank you for all your advice, I really appreciate it!
3 months ago
Hi again Nanten91, thanks for your new suggestionen!
I considered running mass removal and if I would, Crypt Rats and Pestilence would certainly be my first choices. But since I am the one who tries to have the widest boardstate with this deck, I found a boardwipe would hurt me most too often. Also the deck is very dependent on Tormod, the Desecrator being alive, so I do not want to kill him myself.
The Everflowing Chalice is in my opinion better than the other options, because it scales better with the later phases of the game by helping to activate Halana, Kessig Ranger or pay for commandertax. Most people in PDH prefer mana rocks like Arcane Signet because they can tap immediately, but with this deck, I assume the green sorceries suit me better, because they leave a card in the graveyard afterwards. Oh an I just hate Wayfarer's Bauble , I feel its an overhyped and pretty bad card.
On another topic: If you like my Deck and are interested in PDH, why don't you join us on the discord? you can find the link on this site: https://www.pdhhomebase.ca/
There are a lot of people to discuss decks or play online with there....
3 months ago
I see, as I usually play with regular EDH decks, I thought gempalm would be a nice uncounterable way of dealing damage in case the 2/2 zombies aren't able to breakthrough. I looked onto other decklists and came to the same reasoning as yours for keeping Typhoid Rats and his friends away, there's just much more utility in your creatures. Also, I noticed no Crypt Rats nor Pestilence ; how do you go by without any mass removal?
5 months ago
A few more cards have been found wandering loose in my collection. So updates have been had.
-4 Crypt Rats
6 months ago
Unfortunately CaptainToll, Scythe of the Wretched is just not quite old enough for me to include in this deck. Mirrodin was the first non-core set to use the first iteration of the modern border style. It's kind of a weird limitation but I'm only using the old-borders found in sets from Scourge back.
I love Crypt Rats though - I might have to see if I can room for it!