|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Mind vs. Might (DDS)||Uncommon|
|Eternal Masters (EMA)||Uncommon|
|Magic 2014 (M14)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Shaman
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, put a 1/1 red Elemental token onto the battlefield.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Young Pyromancer Discussion
16 hours ago
Hello ^^ I haven't put my version in tappedout yet, but I'll do it as soon as I can! The changes I tried over your version are minimal for now. I'll list them one by one:
1) in Loyal Apprentice, out Young Pyromancer. The few times I've played pyromancer I haven't been impressed at all, while the apprentice have been an overperformer. Maybe it's a matter of playstyle, but I've come to appreciate haste a lot. I was also considering taking out Thorn of Amethyst so it's probably worth to have pyromancer instead, as cheap token producers are very good in this deck, although I'm still not quite sure if pyromancer scales as well as apprentice as the game goes on; apprentice topthers having haste and flying is huge to push in grenzo triggers.
2) Took off Moggcatcher for Glorybringer. As an standard red player I've been consistently impressed with the dragon. The way I see it, it's a heavy hitter, able to push in damage and get grenzo triggers on late game fast, that sometimes kills stuff. I haven't drawn it yet so I'm gonna consider this a flexible slot, and try some other alternatives over time. Stolen Strategy feels also like a good replacement for moggcatcher, as both are grindy cards.
3) took off Sandstone Oracle for Chandra, Flamecaller. I see why the oracle is here: helps catching up, can't be easily casted with our colorless fast mana, has a nice flying body, and can be quite grindy with Daretti, Scrap Savant or Goblin Welder. However, in my experience it rarely does enough if you are not in a dedicated Daretti deck. 7 mana is a lot and unless you have some player going crazy on the table, the draw etb is not that good if you can't consistently recurr it. The fact that it dies to artifact removal is huge too. Put in Chandra instead cause is 1 mana less, the 0 ability is a very consistent way to get you cards, the tokens she produces have haste and help with grenzo triggers (they are also great sac fodder, and as Spawning Pit has been super good the few times I've play it, I'm super happy to have more psinergy with it), they close games very quickly too. Chandra also is a board wipe in a pinch and very good to have in play when you Jokulhaups. I still haven't got to draw an play the card but as the deck generates lotta tokens to defend her, I feel it's gonna be decent, what do you think?
3) Alternatives to Mishra's Workshop. Put in Temple of the False God cause it felt similar, but it leds to some feel bad moments so I'm considering taking it off. Crystal Vein is always a mana source that can give you a burst when needed, and Scavenger Grounds doesn't ramp you but it's such and easy inclusion to hate on graveyards, something the deck lacks.
General considerations! Man I miss Chaos Warp so much in this deck. It's an answer to Ghostly Prison effects that are very bad for us, walkers that bolt can't hit, indestructible eldrazis, stuff that our damage base removal can't kill... I feel those represent the three things this decks is weaker against: ramp to big creatures strategies, dedicated token strategies (with green) and pillow fort. The last feels less problematic cause generally pillow forts are annoying to everyone on the table so other players are gonna also throw removal at them. But I feel we are kinda hopeless against lotta big dudes cause almost none of our removal can si anything about them and our creatures are to small to trade. Token strategies present a wall of chunk blockers that's hard to attack into, that eventually get very big and ran over you quite easily.
I'm putting cards like glorybringer or chandra in the deck to be able to disrupt those strategies and kill them as quickly as possible. I just wanna as much cards that can act as removal as I can get Xd so I have Mizzium Mortars, Subterranean Tremors and Umezawa's Jitte in my radar. The freaking jitte is in my binder looking at my with puppy eyes asking me to play it, such a great card, does so much! Bolt is the card I'd maybe take off for any of those but I'm still not sure at all. And sorry for the wall of text. I love the deck and I'm putting a lot os thought and work into it :P Tell me what you think. Did you consider any of these cards?
2 days ago
Pinkie_Satanas: Hey, thanks! It's pretty sweet to find out that my list has inspired you to create one of your own. I still play this deck every once in a while but I've not had much time to update it. I think many of your suggestions make a lot of sense. As a general rule of thumb, anything that creates tokens is something we should always consider adding to this deck because tokens mean extra grenzo triggers. Loyal Apprentice is definitely a good suggestion (I think there's another token generator goblin now, too) and I'd play it in addition to Young Pyromancer--might cut Moggcatcher instead of pyro tho. I also like Stolen Strategy as another way of keeping up with our opponents in grindy games but think we should play it in addition to Outpost Siege--would probably cut Thorn of Amethyst, which I honestly don't think belongs to this deck (I tried a tax theme once but it just doesn't work as well as I wanted).
I'm not sure about Glorybringer. I don't think the haste thing matters a whole lot and the 4 dmg is not an ETB ability, so our opponents might kill it (path, swords, black removals) bfore we get a chance to deal 4 dmg to a creature. Also, you definitely do not want to play Geier Reach Sanitarium and valakut. Geier enables reanimate strategies and you cant do shit about it and with all the moon and land destruction spells, we'll rarely get to use valakut multiple times (it also has bad synergy with Extraplanar Lens). Other than that, I completely agree with your suggestions and as the other sets come out, feel free to chime in with new suggestions.
As I said in my last update, I don't have a lot of time to play mtg anymore, owing to my job responsibilities and family. So, if you really enjoy this deck, I can add a link in the description to your version of it (a more up-to-date version), as long as you keep the general principles. Best of luck testing your list! It's high variance but it's pretty fun when it gets out of control.
2 days ago
As you may have noticed, my "maybe" board has grown by a fairly large amount at this point. I feel like I need some more outside opinions. Guilds of Ravnica has definitely brought some interesting new options into the arena. Firstly, it has opened up my access to being able to afford a more aggressive mana base. One question this begs me to propose: How good is Scalding Tarn really? I just cant see a situation where I would get deep enough into a game where I would need to fetch a Mountain rather than an Island or a shock land? I find this to hold especially true if I begin to run powerful land effect cards like Blood Moon. Could I get away with only running Polluted Delta and Flooded Strand?
Secondly, GOR is bringing with it some tasty Izzet spells I most certainly can not wait to play around with. Ionize was one of the first spells I saw that got me all excited. Here is a counter spell that is more land flexible then most of its contemporaries and it deals friggin loss of life! However I couldn't see it being very feasible on its own in a deck like mine. The card it would obviously replace would be Dream Fracture, a strange spell on its own regard but a flexible cantrip that can, at its best draw me three cards, deal 4 damage, and filters one card or at it's worst, it draws me one card and prevents an action by my opponent(also replenishes them a card... ehhh). Its hard for me to give up card advantage in a deck like this. You only ever have as much ammo as your deck can provide.
However... things changed pretty drastically. WOTC damn near lost their minds with this set. One card, two words, Mission Briefing. Snapcaster Mage's not so secret reincarnate. Finally a playable flashback effect within my price range! I feel this finally allows me to cool it with the obsessive amount of 'cantrips at any cost'. With my graveyard now becoming an extension of my library I feel I feel I feel I can focus on more powerful options without having to concern myself so much about blowing out my hand. Also, unlike Snappy, it itself triggers Young Pyromancer and Guttersnipe.
Once they are available, I will be swapping out all three Faithless Lootings and 1x Torrential Gearhulk for 4x Mission Briefing and 2x Dream Fracture for 2x Ionize. This, after some more testing, will probably lead to some deeper changes in my deck as well as I gear it up for competition.
The struggle for solutions is the best part.
3 days ago
@Pervrat I do have Dreadbore in the SB to bring in if the matchup calls for it. Discard is the primary means for stopping threats from resolving. Flame Jab has its moments taking out things like Young Pyromancer/Grim Lavamancer and various Mana dorks like Noble Hierarch and shines against elves and faeries. Silent Arbiter + tokens keep the critters at Bay long enough to combo in many base matchups.
4 days ago
I need to start testing more with this style of deck. I also think I'm going to pick up some Cryptic Commands and start playing this, with a few of my own twists of course.
The matchup spreadsheet is a really cool thing to see. I'm amazed your UWx control matchup is so good. It makes sense, but dang. I feel like GDS should be better. I'm not sure how, but my ego doesn't allow me to let them be better than other grixis decks. The burn and spirits matchups I expected to be better. My burn matchup with delver is really good - removal, delve creatures, and efficient counterspells are really good vs burn. And spirits is another creature aggro deck that should die to heavy removal and boardwipes.
If I play it, the only changes to the mainboard I would make are:
- 1 Dismember -> 1 more Terminate
- 1 Logic Knot -> 1 Gurmag Angler
- 1 Kolaghan's Command -> 1 more Young Pyromancer.
Removing the counterspell and command feel bad, but Pyro and Angler are amazing in this meta, especially against some of the neutral-to-unfavored matchups. I don't know what would be better cards to remove. I feel strongly that I want 6 or more in combination of Delve threats and Pyromancer.
Any particular reason you play Dismember over another Terminate?
4 days ago
Thank you for bringing that up, I had the same thought but have not had proper chance to playtest yet. I swapped out lavamancer for Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip and dropped Murderous Cut as I had an extra card anyways...I can't justify Force of Will yet, but I do agree.
In terms of the build, I'm looking for board and hand control as well as ongoing card advantage. Hoping to have answers for almost any situation with instants/sorceries and a mix of approaches to dealing damage, both through combat with strong beaters and direct damage spells/effects. Looking to get as much value out of instants/sorceries through copy/double-casting and abilities of Isochron Scepter, Dual Casting, Kess, Dissident Mage, Guttersnipe, Young Pyromancer and Vial Smasher the Fierce, for example. At first, I imagined this build being focused around counters and board control, but have ended up somewhere between control and midrange... Some cards definitely step outside of the main goals, likely due to their individual value/power or having specific answers for decks encountered in recent playgroups. ex. Batterskull, Wurmcoil Engine, Bloodforged Battle-Axe, Rampaging Ferocidon...
I checked out your UR Tempo, it looks super efficient!
4 days ago
Thanks Skjoldschoennemann and DeadStrife! No Glorious End because Chance for Glory is almost strictly better, and it's not necessarily an effect I need to spam throughout a game. Only one copy of Chance for Glory should be enough to win you the game already. I'm liking the Angel's Grace and Young Pyromancer ideas, though I will probably just add one angel's grace since as you mentionned it is tutorable the turn I would die, and Gideon can still also be a beater. I'm not going to include Nahiri, the Harbinger or Emrakul, the Aeons Torn simply because I persionaly really don't like Emrakul lol, but yes, that would be a really good inclusion.
4 days ago
Young Pyromancer plays nicely with what you have here, and works insanely well with the permanent Indestructibility granted by Chance for Glory after you survive it.