|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Mind vs Might (DDS)||Uncommon|
|Eternal Masters (EMA)||Uncommon|
|Magic 2014 (M14)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Shaman
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, put a 1/1 red Elemental token onto the battlefield.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (29)||Tiddilywinkus , NOGzFTW , Roadhog , LoneCrusader399 , twospires , Kvothe1115 , TehDelta , frederiklw , darthnuchi , Espi14 , dplerner , Axtel , Mousemke , Psycheretic , TheRealPeaches , hardhitta71194 , _raeofsunlight , Justinaut , FoamEagle , , AlertKnave8075 , DrLitebur , Yawkcorb , CastleSiege , Swamy , vishnarg , MattN7498 , saj0219 , Zhorus_The_Bauqret|
|Want (3)||edster , Zimu , Bulldawg1310|
Young Pyromancer Discussion
14 hours ago
DominusArcanix, thanks! I've traded out the Young Pyromancers for Kiln Fiend. I like Apostle's Blessing, I'll have pick up a pair of them and find a home for them in here. I worry about Nivix Cyclops though because I feel like I'd have to lose a few fliers to give him space here.
3 days ago
Have you tried playing both in place of something else?
4 days ago
However, I don't own a set of Thing in the Ice Flip, so I couldn't say. Having 4 toughness is definitely a big deal when facing down a format with Tarmogoyf and Lightning Bolt. The ability to go wide instead of tall with Young Pyromancer means you don't get blown the fuck out by a single Path to Exile or Fatal Push. Even if they kill your man, you still got 1/1 elemental tokens they have to deal with.
4 days ago
You're basically playing U/R Delver. Cut your creatures down to:
Then, switch a few of your spells around:
You also won't need so many lands. The ones you have are also kind of a problem because a lot of them always come into play tapped. Modern tends to have fewer turns than other formats, so you having lands that can never enter play untapped will lose you a lot of games. Any lands that do enter the battlefield tapped need to do something really good to warrant this. Therefore, I'd change:
-4x Swiftwater Cliffs
-4x Izzet Boilerworks
-0-1x Halimar Depths
+4x Wandering Fumarole OR Sulfur Falls OR Steam Vents OR Shivan Reef OR Spirebluff Canal
+1x Desolate Lighthouse
+1-2x Island (depending on if you cut Halimar Depths)
You have more blue cards than red in your deck, so you'll want to play more blue lands than red ones if you can't get a hold on any dual lands.
You may find Turn / Burn to be a bit heavy on the mana requirement. Consider replacing these with low-cost counter cards, such as Dispel, Negate, Spell Snare, Spell Pierce, Squelch, Chart a Course, or Remand. If you do cut Turn / Burn for one of these other cards, remember to cut another Mountain or two and replace them with Islands. Otherwise, you'll have too many games where you can't cast anything despite having 90,2183,989 bajillionzillion lands in play.
Lastly, you'll need a sideboard. These are the cards that are useful for your deck, but only against specific kinds of threats. You're allowed to swap cards in and out of your deck between games after the first in a match (tournaments are best 2-out-of-3).
An example sideboard would look like:
2x Mizzium Meddler (for Boggles)
1x Counterflux (stops control and midrange)
1x AEtherize (you'll want these against aggro decks and tokens)
These four just get moved to your sideboard from your main since you only want them in specific situations2x Abrade (vs. Affinity)
3x Ceremonious Rejection (vs. Tron, Affinity, and Eldrazi)
1x Dispel (vs. Burn and control decks)
1x Magma Spray (stops Kitchen Finks and Dredge)
3x Tormod's Crypt/Relic of Progenitus/Grafdigger's Cage (you bring these in against any graveyard bullshit shenanigans)
2x Spell Pierce
(These last three are for beating Control, Combo, and Midrange decks, along with Burn)
From here, you should have a decent deck to take to your local shop to play with, but there's still some things you'll need:
- Serum Visions is beast mode in Delver because it's one of the most consistent ways to flip Delver of Secrets Flip in Modern. They're a 4-of, but fluctuate between $2 and $8, depending on the market. They're pretty cheap right now due to being reprinted in Eternal Masters, but they've definitely been higher. You should be playing these over Peek and if they're within your budget right now, go get them.
- Snapcaster Mage is a card that cranks up the power level of your deck. End of your opponent's turn Lightning Bolt -> Snapcaster Mage -> Lightning Bolt -> untap -> attack has ended a lot of games in Modern.
- Scalding Tarn + Steam Vents will fix almost all of your mana problems. You can play off-color fetchlands as long as they're blue and you have Steam Vents (such as Flooded Strand). Not only can you save on your life total by fetching up basic lands, this also opens up the option for a 3rd. color or maindeck Blood Moons. Fetch lands also act as fuel for Grim Lavamancers and Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip.
- Speaking of which, Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip functions as the 5th. through 8th. copies of Snapcaster Mage. He can also be somewhat of a "budget" option, although he works best when you're playing both cards.
- Sword of Fire and Ice and the other swords in the cycle can go a long way. An Insectile Aberration is nothing to fuck around with. An Insectile Aberration with +2/+2 and protection from 2 different colors will end the game.
- You'll also want Remands (likely 2 or more) at some point, but it's not high on the priority of cards to get. They act like Time Walks when your opponent taps out to play something and misses a land drop. This buys you time to lay down the beats with your small critters.
- Ancestral Vision is also a solid pick. You're looking to stall the game out long enough to kill your opponent with 3/2s and 1/1s, why not refill your hand halfway through the game?
Hope this helps! I'm sure I'm missing something that experienced Delver players can recommend.
4 days ago
SwaggyMcSwagglepants for me in this build Young Pyromancer just feels underwhelming. Without prob and all the control I play I just don't feel he's as powerful. But y'all could be right about serpent and reveler. Serpent is a newer addition that i haven't tested allot with him maybe 3-4 games (he did win me the game against both U tron and a weird BR Mid-range) but i might do a 3-1 split with him and reveler
4 days ago
Yea I hate the temples, they will of course be upgraded as i can afford them. I just had them from when i played standard
Bedlam Reveler so Reveler is extremely situational I only like it when we are totally out of gas, other then that we really don't get allot of value as a beater because prowess doesn't help us and it doesn't have evasion. If we play it with a a second revelar in our hand or a full hand, its just an awful play. BUT in the right situation is almost as good as Treasure Cruise (not really but i mean its a solid play). Cryptic Serpent is almost always a great play though i mean a 6/5 beater is just soooo good. So i like the 2/2 split for that and i feel like 2 double red casting cost of revelar is already hard with all the double blues we play.
Echoing Truth looks great! I love the affect on tokens, and with titi i probably have enough mass bounce
I've been on the fence abt Electrolyze, should it be a one or? and what should i replace it with?
(I also love Young Pyromancer, it broke my heart when i pulled him, if only those tokens where horrors)
I'm also not sure about Thought Scour, reveler and serpent aren't delve so if we put a land or creature in the graveyard it doesn't really help, so i assumed it would be better to set up delver. BUT i do hate that it is at sorcery speed
4 days ago
It's been awhile I haven't worked on a delver list! HOwever, I still do have a few suggestions. ;)
First, the manabase is clearly budget (which is why I won't recommand good ol' Tiago)... But the temples are going against your gameplan. Try to use Sulfur Falls instead since you've got many basics, but Spirebluff Canal and Steam Vents would be far superior options in my opinion.
Also, why are you running two Serpents? If you were going that route, I would much rather use Bedlam Reveler no 3 and 4. Cyclonic Rift is very meh in modern, Echoing Truth would be much better. You'd probably want to play Electrolyze (nice 2 or 3 for 1) as your deck is a bit more focused on casting tons of spells.
Bonus: I still love Young Pyromancer in these decks, but MTGsalv decided that the card isn't good in modern...
 I completely forgot about the most important: you definitively need 4*Thought Scour. I recommand dropping the visions for them.
5 days ago
UsmanA Hi UsmanA. Thanks for your suggestions. I think these red wizards are pretty cool. Thanks!
I decided to change this deck to mono blue and create a new Izzet aggro/control, like this deck: Budget Izzet wizards
What do you think?
Thanks guys! =D