Magus of the Moon
Creature — Human Wizard
Nonbasic lands are Mountains.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Magus of the Moon Discussion
2 days ago
2 days ago
Eternal Scourge, Tainted Pact, Demonic Consultation, Buried Alive, Necrotic Ooze, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, Mogg Fanatic, Oblivion Sower, Anger, Magus of the Moon, Harsh Mentor, Entomb, Reanimate, Animate Dead, Dance of the Dead, Necromancy, Void Winnower, Sire Of Insanity
2 days ago
Well, I personnaly think all the kobolds are dead cards and are useless outside the combo. If you can't go for your combo, what is your actual win condition? I mean, in the version I described you you could always Entomb+ Reanimatea Void Winnower or Sire Of Insanity, which can be enough to win you the game sometimes...
I would also go with hatebears and the likes of Magus of the Moon, Harsh Mentorand similar creatures to get in the damage you need. I mean, it would let us deal damage to cast our commander (there is always someone open in cEDH), and they would not be dead after, being able to stop a lot of combos (like Scepter, Thrasios, Bomberman... Anything requiring activation) and slow down the game a lot. I think this would be even better and we could forget about the pingers that would now be unnecessary, because we would find our source of damage right there.
Please tell me how fast you goldfish, and also tell me what you would do outside your Kobolds plan, as I don't think this plan is worth it, including way too many dead cards in the deck.
2 days ago
I feel like 1 Plains should come out and a Rugged Prairie Should be in here. As many double WW and a Couple RR and 1 RRR that could help on a few instances of keeping your mana open
2 days ago
I recommend checking out Todd Stevens' GW Value Town for a very competitive version of a similar concept (though in GW rather than RG). Todd's maindeck has 29 Creatures "hitable" by Collected Company, with an average CMC of 2.31. Yours is only 23, with an average CMC of 2.24. So if at all possible, increase the number of 3-drops in the main and get rid of your 4- and 5-drop Creatures and the Rancors. You'll hit more Creature with CoCo, plus they'll be more powerful. His sideboard is a lot different too: 5 of the 15 cards are also "hitable" by CoCo, which means he can pull them in without diluting the Coco engine.
Some 3-drop options (I've no idea which ones might be best):
- Magus of the Moon
- Rhonas the Indomitable
- Deathmist Raptor
- Courser of Kruphix
- Combat Celebrant
- Hanweir Garrison
- Groundbreaker, Ball Lightning, and Force of Savagery, maybe
- Reclamation Sage, Prowling Serpopard, Witchstalker, and Archetype of Aggression, as potentials for your sideboard
And some 2-drop options:
- Harsh Mentor, for sideboard
- Channeler Initiate, maybe for some of the Elvish Mystics and Llanowar Elves
1 week ago
I updated the deck and sideboard to how im running it currently except im trying Magus of the Moon as a potential option and cut most of the colorless producing mana.
1 week ago
Ok, after everyone's comments, here are my thoughts ...
GOOD MATCH-UPS (Bant Knightfall, UW Control, GBx Midrange, Jeskai Control, Death's Shadow): Mainboard is fine; no sideboard slots needed.
- Ancient Grudge, if I end up using some number of Trinisphere too.
- Ancient Grudge + Shatterstorm, if I don't use Trin'
- Obstinate Baloth (putting one back into the main) and Kitchen Finks (in the side)
- Maybe some Trinisphere.
- The more I think about it, the more I think Beast Within is the key. Say an opponent casts Scapeshift and sacrifices 7 Lands to fetch 6 Mountains (basics and non-basics) and a Valakut. All the Lands enter simultaneously and 6 Valakut triggers go on the stack. With the triggers on the stack, I kill a Mountain. The trigger from that Mountain will resolve and I'll take 3 damage. But the triggers from the other 5 Mountains fizzle, since "the ability will do nothing if [my opponent controls] fewer than 5 Mountains other than that new one by the time it resolves" (source).
- Beast Within is also superb against a resolved Primeval Titan.
- I might be able to catch an inexperienced pilot with Crumble to Dust, but an experienced pilot will wait until the last second (i.e., fetching them with Scapeshift) to play their Valakut. Crumble may still be worthwhile though ... partly for free wins against less experienced pilots, but mostly because hitting Stomping Ground will leave most decks with only 10 Mountains ... depending on the board state, that will often not be enough for lethal.
- Blood Moon is of course amazing in the match-up, but post-board they will almost certainly have Engineered Explosives and Reclamation Sage to deal with it. Still, Blood moon #5 may be worthwhile.
ELDRAZI AND Gx TRON:
- I'm excited to try Crumble to Dust here.
- Blood Moon is of course amazing in the match-up, but post-board they will almost certainly have Ratchet Bomb, Nature's Claim, etc. to deal with it. Still, Blood moon #5 may be worthwhile.
- Beast Within for Devoted Druid and Vizier of Remedies
- Anger of the Gods, for everything else.
- For Counters CoCo: Druid and Vizier demand answers. Renegade Rallier and Eternal Witness makes Exile effects much better.
- For Valuetown CoCo: 7x Manadorks, Ramunap Excavator, and Knight of the Reliquary complicate the Land Destruction plan.
- As with any White deck, I need to watch out for Blessed Alliance post-board. Burrenton Forge-Tender, Linvala, Keeper of Silence, Reclamation Sage and Qasali Pridemage could make an appearance as well.
- 3x Trinisphere to slow them down or Eidolon of the Great Revel to kill them
- 1x Anger of the Gods for Goblin Electromancer and Baral, Chief of Compliance
The bottom line (for now anyways) ...
Main: 1x Obstinate Baloth
1 week ago
First of all I really like your Purhporos goblin tribal deck!
As you mentioned your deck is built to be closer to a 1 vs 1 Commander (French) deck, but still I want to suggest you some of the cards for more multiplayer game strategy that imho I think you should consider to add.
Analizing your deck I see some problems in too low count of draw engines. I think you need to maximize draw power cuz in current state after several board whipes you just be run out of gas.
Magus of the Wheel - 2nd greatest wheel spell in MTG, one minus it is not a goblin ;-)
Mikokoro, Center of the Sea - sometimes one card draw separates you from victory, you can easy cut one of your mountains for it.
Chandra, Torch of Defiance - best Chandra till date, provides card advantage, ramp and some board control.
Grenzo, Havoc Raiser - play enemy spells why not?
Herald’s Horn - cut your goblins cmc is already nice but it gives you addition chance to draw card wich is even more nicer!
Mana Crypt - expensive but cost all its money.
Ancient Tomb - nice land, cut mountain for it.
Herald’s Horn - was mentioned before.
Imperial Recruiter - I know it is expensive card but it can tutor 80% of all your creatures!
Gamble - saves me hundred of times! Offcorse it has drawback and you can discard what you was looking for, but still it is best tutor in red color.
Control & Others:
Chaos Warp - staple in EDH mono-red decks. Can help you remove any permanent from board especially nasty enchantments.
Fiery Confluence - easy best card from all Confluences imho.
Goblin Welder - why you dont use this one goblin? It is really nice artifact reviver and can sometimes force your opponnet to sacrifice powerfull artifact and return something less dangerous for his/her graveyard.
Quest for Pure Flame - cheap, can be fast charged and provide great damage boost for one turn.
kindred charge - I know you already think about adding this one to the board, must be auto include imho.
Cards I think you need to cut out:
Goblin Balloon Brigade - too weak.
Mardu Scout - same as above.
Ensnaring Bridge - can be nombo with all your pumped out goblins.
Hammer of Purphoros - you already have enough haste engines imho.
Apocalypse - cool and savage card used it in my Purphoros deck too, but drop it out cuz never really want to play it and it is almoust impossible to win after you use it.
Goblin War Strike - you can damage only one player.
Mogg Alarm - worst goblin token producer from all your sorcery spells.
Reverberate - copy spells bad in aggresives style decks.
Smash to Smithereens - too weak in EDH.
Caterwauling Boggart - too high cmc.
P.S. Sorry for some grammar mistakes it was hell of amount of text to type ;-P