Creature — Zombie Warrior
When Grim Initiate dies, amass 1. (Put a +1/+1 counter on an Army you control. If you don't control one, create a 0/0 black Zombie Army creature token first.)
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Grim Initiate Discussion
2 months ago
Man, I had my fun with cavalcade deck and by looking at your deck, I would like to tell you about few suggestion (I am no pro player, just want to share what worked for me)
- I do not see any extra card draw, don't you have problem with getting zero card hand after few turns? What about Light Up the Stage ?
- Raid Bombardment seems useless. Cost one more mana than Cavalcade + without extra card draw, I would be scared to run into hand when I have only enchantements and no creatures after board wipe
- I am not a big fan of Chandra's Pyreling since it do not have trample and can be blocked with 1/1. I prefer Chandra's Spitfire + Torch Courier for surprise.
- Grim Initiate + Heartfire was pretty good. Also Initiate have first strike so you may strike for 1 and THEN sacrifice it to the face, boosting Spitfire even more.
- Torbran, Thane of Red Fell for extra boost.
2 months ago
- Memnite relatively vanilla, and somehow quite expensive towards our budget (~$5). Instead Legion Loyalist which can also trigger (even on a top deck), and gives us much-needed evasion.
- Phyrexian Walker also pretty vanilla, replacing with Grim Initiate . Why? Grim gives us something on a board wipe, to help us recover
- Auratouched Mage (which also comes out with the next card).. it isn't quite as broken as it may seem. Gets chump blocked and doesn't do quite much. Add in Goblin Rabblemaster to give us more dudes
- Breath of Fury comes out if Aura Mage does, it's a combo that isn't too great. Let's add in Anax, Hardened in the Forge to give us more board wipe survivability
- Victory's Envoy is a tough cut, but is a bit slow. Only is very good if we have gobs of tokens. Add in Mother of Runes for obvious reasons
8 months ago
+4 Grim Initiate +2 goblin balloon brigade +1 crackling club
1 year ago
I would lose the Herald of Dromoka for a cheap ass warrior or another lord. Cheap ones: Aven Skirmisher, Dragon Hunter (it's a 2/1 for one with upside), Goblin Cohort, Grim Initiate, Mardu Shadowspear, Mardu Woe-Reaper (should at least be in the sideboard), Somberwald Vigilante, Vampire Lacerator, and of course, the best one, Zurgo Bellstriker.
1 year ago
Ash Zealot, Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch, Battle Brawler, Bloodmark Mentor, Goblin Spymaster, Grim Initiate, Kruin Outlaw Flip, Neheb, the Worthy, No-Dachi, Rakdos Ringleader, Rustrazor Butcher, Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep, Splatter Thug, Viridian Claw, and Zada's Commando are the ones worth maaayayybe considering. In my opinion. Budget-permitting, of course.
1 year ago
Okay WOW I am behind on comments! I will try to make this quick, so I apologize if I sound rude or blunt!
ScionsStillLive tajic's protection is too niche.
martin3141 thanks! Wily Goblin seems neat, but I think Winota on turn 3 isn't a priority. I'd rather spend 2 mana to get two tokens, and then something else on turn 3, then finally play Winota. Spectral Procession = mana base problems. Creatures that leave behind tokens when dying would be a fantastic route to take Winota, if there were enough of them! Grim Initiate does seem particularly good as a one-drop. Don't like land destruction so no Raiders. My experience with Leave / Chance has been lukewarm at best. Thanks for the comment!
raspberryfish25 thank you! I had considered all the cards you mentioned but felt like I had better options. As for Fumigate over better board wipes... well I had one and didn't want to spend more money than I already was haha! Thanks for the comment!
jconeil1988 I have! I guess my problem with him is that at 4cmc he interrupts when I want to cast Winota. And only gives one token. I'd rather spend two mana for two tokens.
Sorry I had to rush through everyone! Thank you all SO much for the comments and suggestions, it does mean a lot to me!
1 year ago
Nice decklist! I've been playing with the idea of building a commander deck around Winota myself. Here are some ideas:
If your mana base supports it, Wily Goblin could be a strong 2-Drop that enables playing Winota on turn 3 and immediately attack.
The new card Fight as One seems like an excellent protection spell for Winota decks.
Spectral Procession is another 3-drop non-human token producer you might wanna consider. I think it's very strong in the early game, provided your mana base supports tripple white.
In order to combat mass-destruction cards like Wrath of God I'm thinking of playing cards that can create non-human attackers at instant speed. That way you can flash in some attackers e.o.t., untap, play Winota and immediately attack. You already run Secure the Wastes, which is perhaps the best one. Further cards I'm thinking of include Decree of Justice, White Sun's Zenith, or even Aven Mindcensor.
On the same note, creatures that leave behind tokens when dying such as Grim Initiate or Martyr of Dusk could provide you with early-game attackers that are difficult to get rid of. Without Winota these cards are pretty weak though.
Avalanche Riders is human and gives you some land destruction against those pesky utility lands.
I think that Leave / Chance is an underrated protection spell against mass-destruction. Certainly not as strong as Boros Charm or Teferi's Protection, and doesn't rescue your tokens, but maybe worth testing.
1 year ago
Grim Initiate (pretty good for you type of +1 +1 deck)
Narnam Renegade (you could probably go full elf tribal or stompy elf since it would allow for mana ramp and just flooding the board with threats. If you really wanna abuse that nonhuman trigger use some tokens)
Doubling Season (very expensive I personally don't thing this one is worth it)