|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology 2018 (CM2)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Uncommon|
|Seventh Edition (7ED)||Uncommon|
|Classic Sixth Edition (6ED)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Fire Diamond enters the battlefield tapped.
: Gain .
Fire Diamond Discussion
21 hours ago
So the first card that comes to mind is Mindslicer . In Rakdos decks, you can typically tune your 99 to make you the king of top-decks; this is part of the reason reanimating Sire Of Insanity is such a brutal play in decks like Xantcha, Sleeper Agent .
You're likely to be sacrificing a whole butt-ton of creatures. I advise ways to exploit your guys dying: Dictate of Erebos or Grave Pact come readily to mind. Skullclamp is pretty busted if you're going to be sacrificing creatures anyways, and its especially good seeing as you're running Gravecrawler already.
Zombies is one of the oldest archetypes, and thus it has access to a LOT of tribal effects. Cemetery Reaper , Death Baron , Zombie Master , Undead Warchief , Lord of the Accursed and Lord of the Undead are all good ways to pump your team and/or give them extra abilities. (Depending on the meta, you may want to run Bad Moon as well.) Call to the Grave is really good if you can tune the deck to have 2 or fewer non-zombie creatures. Dark Salvation and Liliana's Mastery are both viable cards in this deck. Graveborn Muse is another good card draw engine next to Phyrexian Arena , which I see you're already running. Unholy Grotto gives you a measure of recursion over your zombies. Noxious Ghoul also comes to mind, as does Withered Wretch as a form of one-sided graveyard hate.
One common issue I've seen in a lot of EDH decks is the prevalence of 1-for-1 instant and sorceries. In a majority of EDH games, you're going to have 2-3 opponents, rather than just one; this means you are facing roughly 2-3 times as many cards as you yourself have access to. Cards like Dreadbore and Terminate are good in 1-on-1 formats like Modern, but in EDH I have frequently found them to just not be good enough. I advise you run cards like Fire Covenant , Ashes to Ashes , Volcanic Fallout or Toxic Deluge instead. These have the potential to take out several creatures at the cost of one card, leaving you up that many cards over your opponents.
On a related note, since most games of EDH are decided by card advantage, anything you can do to draw cards will always be welcome. Ambition's Cost , Night's Whisper and the like are good ways to refill your hand. Wheel of Fortune is another good card, but it's about $100 now, so... consider carefully. Light Up the Stage is another one to consider. While Rakdos is good at topdecking, managing to draw extra cards means it is more likely to hit.
Looting effects tend to be very good in zombie decks, which have access to graveyard recursion. Faithless Looting is essentially card advantage in your deck, because you can discard things like Gravecrawler at no cost. Similarly, I advise running a bigger reanimation package (supplementing your Animate Dead ) to get back fatties your opponents may have killed or you may have discarded. Reanimate , and Necromancy are good cards -- if you want to get spicy, Dance of the Dead is a card most people have never played against before, mostly because it isn't nearly as good as the other three. But I figured I'd mention it. Also, a bigger reanimation package means things like Entomb or Buried Alive become exponentially better.
With regard to planeswalkers, Liliana, Death's Majesty is a good card for any zombie deck.
With regard to your lands: I don't think Blighted Fen is very good, and Temple of the False God should be replaced with Ancient Tomb if at all possible. If you want good utility lands that can kill pesky creatures, I advise Blast Zone . If you are able, I advise running Bloodstained Mire and/or the off-color fetches in order to grab your Blood Crypt or Smoldering Marsh . These fetches are in effect extra dual lands.
If you have a lot of recursion, which I see you do in things like Phyrexian Reclamation , you may have luck with pox-style cards. Pox is one of the most brutal cards to resolve in EDH, and Smallpox and Innocent Blood also can be played to great effect. Note that these get around hexproof, shroud and indestructible.
Depending on how hateful your meta is, you may want to consider some pretty mean red cards. Changing your land base slightly will give you access to Blood Moon , Magus of the Moon and Ruination , while Price of Glory will make people think twice about casting counter-magic. If your meta is as blue-heavy as mine, Pyroblast and Red Elemental Blast are also fine considerations. If you end up running a lot of lord effects, you may want to consider Pyroclasm or Anger of the Gods , as your guys won't die if they're big enough. Possibility Storm is a good way to disrupt combo players -- I should know, as I play Storm in cEDH.
Because black has literally only one card designed to destroy artifacts ( Gate to Phyrexia ), red is a welcome addition to the team. By Force is a favorite of mine, but Shattering Spree , Vandalblast and Shatterstorm are also good ideas.
Rocks are great in EDH, especially if they're only 1 or 2 mana. I advise Talisman of Indulgence to replace Rakdos Locket and Mind Stone to replace Commander's Sphere . Coldsteel Heart is good as well, though it enters tapped, just like Charcoal Diamond and Fire Diamond . Thought Vessel is also worth considering.
Good luck with deck building!
1 day ago
Before I begin, I'd like to preface this with the fact that I want this to work, you have no idea.
1.) How do you intend to fish out Genju of the Spires ? It seems fairly important for the deck to run, but I worry it will get flooded out of the odds by the 56 Mountains.
2.) How do you cast things when there's little/no land on your side of the field? I think a deck like this would appreciate some kind of ramp, especially since Fling is going to get hella pricey after the first one or two castings.
What others already said:
Jaya Ballard ; doubles as draw power.
Chandra, Torch of Defiance ; also doubles as an additional source of damage.
Pyromancer's Goggles ; more for spell duplication, but still. Why wouldn't anyone want to duplicate Fling here?
Neheb, the Eternal ; almost necessary with how much Fling will cost down the road. You'll get at least 4-6 mana in the post-combat main phase for the Fling you casted earlier.
Crucible of Worlds ; it would be good to have at least a second form of land recursion. It's one the best pieces you can hope for outside of Green.
Crawlspace ; see above.
Repercussion ; another form of creature suppression in its own way.
Fire Servant ; even more Fling mileage; doesn't double damage dealt to you.
. . .
That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head. I'll be interested in seeing if/how this deck progresses.
5 days ago
Ramp: Boros Cluestone , Boros Keyrune , Boros Locket , Boros Signet , Sol Ring , Fire Diamond , Marble Diamond , Commander's Sphere , Wayfarer's Bauble , Mind Stone , Corrupted Grafstone , Star Compass , Fellwar Stone , Coldsteel Heart , Worn Powerstone , Prismatic Lens , Burnished Hart , Solemn Simulacrum
1 week ago
This deck looks awesome to play for such a good budget! I’m planning on building this and giving it a spin, but I was wondering what you would cut for Preordain , Serum Visions , and Gamble since those are some cards I already own? I also have 8~9 lands that can tap for red or blue mana, so at that point should I try to run Fire Diamond for more on color artifact ramp? Last question; When upgrading the deck in the future for say, a Flusterstorm or Cyclonic Rift , do you do so by removing the worst counter or bounce spell respectively, or by simply removing the worst card in the 99?
2 weeks ago
VaalVanir Casting Magnetic Theft in that instance would gain you 4 life. The only spells cast that turn were Enlightened Tutor , Bandage , Aetherflux Reservoir and Magnetic Theft . So when Magnetic Theft is cast, the storm counters goes to 4, and when it resolves you will gain 4 life.
TwinStags Springleaf Drum is an OK budget option since it untaps with Paradox Engine but I wouldn't go for Paradise Mantle . Some other budget inclusions for mana rocks are Gilded Lotus , Thran Dynamo , Prismatic Lens , Commander's Sphere , Fire Diamond , Marble Diamond or Mox Amber
3 weeks ago
After playing last night, I get the feeling that the deck is being pulled into too many different directions. My advice is to lean into the cantrip effects while protecting Feather and the other creatures, and try to win through combat as soon as possible. I think that the token subtheme is solid, but I'd chuck the redirect shenanigans. It would make for a good laugh when/if it finally goes off, but the combo is too fragile, too expensive, and takes up way too many card slots.
My suggestions (in no particular order):
- Gods Willing - Card draw/protection
- Balduvian Rage - Card draw/damage (potentially lethal)
- Niveous Wisps - Card draw/tap down a big creature if you sense that it will be coming at you next combat
- Panic - Card draw/get through a blocker
- Rile - Card draw/trample
- Chaos Warp - Turn tokens into value or deal with an enemy threat
- Samut's Sprint - Set up a card draw with the scry/more damage
- Shelter - Card draw/protection
- Vanguard of Brimaz - Token generation
- Boros Charm - Will likely be used to protect your board state, but could also be used to finish off an opponent(s)
- Aurelia's Fury - Can be abused repeatedly by just pinging one of your creatures/can be used as a finisher
- Seize the Day - Repeatable extra combats
- Ajani's Presence - Protection
- Balefire Liege - Lifegain and extra damage while buffing your creatures
- Iroas, God of Victory - Menace and damage prevention when you're swinging. Definitely.
- Titan's Strength - More damage/Scry to set up card draw
- Valorous Stance - Protection/Destroy an enemy threat
- Guided Strike - Card draw/might be able to first strike surprise someone
- Temur Battle Rage - Finisher
- Accelerate - Card draw/haste
- Grapeshot - You'll be casting enough cheap spells that this could be a finisher
- Swiftfoot Boots - Feather is key to the strategy, so hexproof is going to be very useful. I wouldn't bother with Lightning Greaves though.
- Aetherflux Reservoir - Definitely. Lifegain and one-shotting an opponent.
- Fellwar Stone - R/W are the two least played, so you may have more trouble getting what you want, but more mana is rarely bad.
- Darksteel Ingot - Colored mana rock
- Purphoros, God of the Forge - On the fence with this one, but I think you have enough token generation to warrant him.
- Twinflame - Multiple Heroic trigger and synergizes well with Purphoros
- Spawning Breath - Puke up tokens for ramp/Purph triggers. Bonus points if you proc Heroic.
- Assemble the Legion - Another iffy card that I'd probably only run with the Purph package. It pretty much has to be answered or it will get out of control, but it takes time.
- Skullclamp - Plenty of tokens to draw cards off of. May already have enough card draw, if there is such a thing. Test to find out.
- Bathe in Light - Protection for likely many of your creatures, but no card draw, and it doesn't protect against board wipes.
- Grand Abolisher - We aren't a particularly counter-heavy meta, but I think this might warrant an include to protect from getting hit with a 2-for-1 destroy spell in response to your targeting your creature with a spell. This deck will be reliant on swinging hard every turn.
- Duergar Hedge-Mage - We have a pretty enchantment/artifact heavy meta, but if you are fast enough, it may not matter.
- Runaway Steam-Kin - Useful for storing up some red mana for those X spells, but there aren't many in the deck currently.
- Vandalblast - cough Meta cough
- Soul's Fire - Good way to finish someone off, if you can't get through easily. Might not be necessary.
- Emerge Unscathed - Protection. The free cast is nice, but lacks the card draw.
- Sentinel Tower - Iffy on this one, but I think you'll cast enough spells to make this valuable.
- Graceful Reprieve - ETB triggers/"Protection". Definitely better than Gift of Immortality in this deck, but you should be able to keep your creatures alive without needing this.
- Teferi's Protection - Dodging boardwipes is useful, but this may be unnecessary. No way of abusing Feather's ability here.
- Gilded Lotus - Colored mana rock, but with such a low average CMC, this may not be necessary relative to the cost.
- Fell the Mighty - Board wipe that will let you keep at least something of yours. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Austere Command - Value city. Likely to be used to wipe other threats while keeping your own. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Chandra's Ignition - paired with one of the spells that give protection or indestructible, and targeting a heavy hitter, you can wipe everyone else's creatures and keep your own. Might be too heavy-handed, but probably worth testing.
- Bandage - Card draw/possible protection. The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Heal - Card draw/possible protection The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Crowd's Favor - Not sure that it does enough to warrant a card slot, especially without drawing you a card.
- Galvanic Blast - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Liberate - Currently, the only ETB effects in the deck are Captain of the Watch and Stuffy Doll 's choose a player clause, both of which I would recommend cutting. It would synergize with the Purph package, but even still I'm not sure it warrants a spot, given all the protection you already have.
- Lightning Bolt - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Lightning Strike - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Magnetic Theft - There are currently only two equipments in the deck, and you're unlikely to face too many equipments in our meta, since your decks make up most of the equipment in said meta.
- Shock - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Authority of the Consuls - The small amount of lifegain is unlikely to be needed. The hatebear effect is too easy to play around.
- Gift of Immortality - This card doesn't synergize with much of anything. You're better off running protection spells that Feather can return to your hand.
- Guilty Conscience - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Indestructibility - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Pariah - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Shielded by Faith - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Boros Reckoner - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Captain of the Watch - There are only 3 other soldiers in the deck. She might (barely) make the cut, if you had Purphoros, but I'd likely still cut her.
- Coalhauler Swine - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fabled Hero - Basically, just a beater. I'd much rather proc the other Heroic triggers in order to get tokens to protect against forced sacrifice effects.
- Firesong and Sunspeaker - You have 1 white spell that can trigger this, and that is if you swords your own creature. You have 6 (cut to 2 with these suggestions) red spells that will gain you life. Using Blasphemous Act to gain a bunch of life is neat, but lifegain in Commander is often negligible due to commander damage, and with so few ways of actually triggering this card at all, it definitely doesn't make the cut.
- Stuffy Doll - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Truefire Captain - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fire Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Marble Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Pariah's Shield - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Pearl Medallion - Not enough high CMC white cards to warrant this, especially since it doesn't discount the color cost.
- Chain Lightning - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
1 month ago
Here ya go, Derrick,
Where is Gamble
Ramp or extra mana
Fellwar Stone , Fire Diamond , Marble Diamond , MindStone, Sword of the Animist , Thought Vessel , Hardened Berserker , Treasonous Ogre , Neheb, the Eternal , Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion Desperate Ritual , Pyretic Ritual , Seething Song ,
Target spells that are dope
Coordinated Assault , Enrage , Otherworldly Outburst is cool and you can loop it if the creature you buff dies making a token, Samut's Sprint , Titan's Strength , Accelerate , Aleatory , Chaotic Strike , Stun , Niveous Wisps , Carom , Formation gives banding which is spicy, Spiritualize , Stave Off , Bathe in Light , Feat of Resistance , Chaos Warp target tokens to get permanets from your deck for free, and is good removal.
Heroic/Prowess Creatures cuz value
these are some cards I think you should look at, don't need all and some might not fit exactly but if you like them then put them in. Cut some lands you can go down to 34 if you add in more artifacts, which go great with paradox engine.
Cards I think you should replace: Emerge Unscathed rebound fucks with your commander it exiles them not letting you put them back into your hand; Aurelia's Fury really expensive to get any good use out of it, or if you want protection during your turns run Grand Abolisher or Silence ; Expose Evil is too slow of a draw engine Mentor of the Meek with the tokens you make is better for drawing; Burnished Hart and Solemn Simulacrum are meh, better to go with artifact ramp that can feed the paradox plan, plus artifact ramp is cheaper and faster; speaking of artifacts Boros Cluestone and Boros Keyrune are good flavor options but aren't that good as other artifacts; Inferno Titan and Sun Titan are good creatures but don't fit into the game plan as well better to put things that help with the gameplan.
1 month ago
Minor improvements, your rocks make a lot of colorless mana. Most of your spells are one or two mana, and don't use much or any colorless mana. Replace them with Marble Diamond or Fire Diamond or something similar because I am sure you will find Thran Dynamo will not be as useful as you want.
You included some odd choices for protection. Apostle's Blessing >> Faith's Shield or Blessed Breath unless you really think protection from artifacts will be relevant.( Bathe in Light is also good in it's own way)
A Fun add is Intimidation Bolt . Hit you own creature and you can't be attacked for the rest of your game as long as you have 3xplayers mana. (oh look Feather, the Redeemed is a 3/4, and will live from that ;) )
Fire Diamond occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.04%