Phenax, God of Deception
Legendary Enchantment Creature — God
As long as your devotion to blue or black is less than 7, Phenax isn't a creature
Creatures you control have " (Tap) target player puts top X cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard, where X is that creature's toughness"
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|TCGPlayer.com Price||Cardhoarder (O) Price|
|$2.9||$3.87||$6.49||$12.79||1.71 TIX||9.96 TIX|
|Have (9)||Milester856 , CastleSiege , IcehawkFFC10 , Tommuz , Crow_Of_The_Void , ironax , Dark_Shadow , philktoken8998 , TroyMicheal|
|Want (6)||KiljoyQ , Arashisenko , Galdelonian , Surferdunks , philktoken8998 , YungNixon|
Phenax, God of Deception Discussion
3 days ago
If mill is the way he wants to go, I can't recommend Phenax, God of Deception Enough. The great thing about him is that the deck doesn't have to be expensive whatsoever. Essentially just take him, a bunch of large back-end creatures, and some untap effects, and boom, you've got yourself a decent start to a mill deck. Jelava is alright, but in my opinion, Phenax just does mill better.Cards I can recommend for a Phenax deck are: Wight of Precinct Six, Consuming Aberration, Jace, Memory Adept, Sadistic Sacrament. For dealing with annoyances such as Elixir of immortality and Eldrazi titans. Hedron Crab is also a great little miller, which can stack up surprisingly quickly.
However if he wants to stick with Jeleva, I'm not quite sure.First off I'd try to drop as many 'dud' cards as possible. Welkin Tern Deepwater Hypnotist etc, are just not great cards. I'd try to replace as many low-value cards for good utility creatures and spells. They don't always have to be expensive either. I recommend watching a few deck videos on youtube, and looking at other mill decks here on tappedout, to give ideas, put them into this decklist, then when he's finished searching, just try to thin down the list to the 99 cards required.
3 days ago
Sphinx's Tutelage could be a pretty strong addition, and should be easy to find since it's still in standard. Mind Funeral is a very powerful mill card, and Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker is Mind Funeral on legs. Consuming Aberration is a must have for UB mill. I'd consider running Geth, Lord of the Vault since he both mills your opponent, and steals from their graveyard at the same time. Hedron Crab may not seem like much, but it can add up to a lot very quickly. Glimpse the Unthinkable I hear is pretty good too. There are a number of Jace planeswalkers that can help a mill strategy, but my top picks would be Jace, Memory Adept and the currently very expensive Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip. I'd also definitely run, Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver- he's good because he can exile pesky things like Elixir of Immortality or Eldrazi titans that can prevent mill from working. Lastly, I'd suggest Phenax, God of Deception. He turns all your other creatures into dedicated mill machines.
6 days ago
I was thinking something more same turn. Like having a Narcomoeba in your deck to flashback a Dread Return into an Angel of Glory's Rise with an infinite combo of humans, or something similarly degenerate. That way you can still combo regardless of what your bottom card was.
Here's one you can do with just Blue/Black:
Have two creatures on the field (three if Narcomoeba is somewhere other than your library), and 9 mana open. Cast Tunnel Vision naming your bottom card (whatever it is), and put Dread Return, Necrotic Ooze, Grimgrin, Corpse-Born, Bloodline Keeper Flip, Havengul Lich, and Blood Artist into your graveyard. Flashback Dread Return to put Necrotic Ooze on the battlefield, then use its ability as Havengul Lich to cast Blood Artist out of your graveyard. After that you just alternate between Grimgrin, Corpse-Born and Bloodline Keeper Flip's abilities for an infinite sac loop and infinite life drain. GG
Best thing is all of these cards are pretty good on their own even if you're not trying to combo. (Except Narcomoeba, but that's just gravy.)
1 week ago
I have a commander deck very similar to this, however I have Phenax, God of Deception as the commander. His ability speaks for itself lol.
2 weeks ago
Archive Trap takes advantage of Fetchlands ands any search library cards
Phenax, God of Deception allows you to turn your larger toughness creatures into millers; Consuming Aberration benefits from this greatly.
I would add more Mind Funeral as land denial is helpful.
Tome Scour is a nice card that is similar to Mind Sculpt.
Hedron Crab is a great turn one play as it mills for simply dropping land.
Also, milling and discard are two different things, mill is from the library and discard is from the hand. Whispering Madness or Dark Deal may be of some use to you as they do draw cards; they also can help you drop less useful cards for more useful options.
steveoowns on Smiles
2 weeks ago
Personally my favorite thing to do with grimgrin is mill specifically with Phenax, God of Deception but my main reason for commenting is I believe commander has an alternate sideboard size I'm pretty sure it's 10
2 weeks ago
If you wanna spend less than 10/card i suggest you to invest anyway into Glimpse the Unthinkable.
It's already 12,5/card (saw it on mkm) but a good pimp for you deck
-Phenax, God of Deception is not a good value with only 10 creatures
I suggest you to cut him to put 1x Tormod's Crypt
try some playtest and see :)
2 weeks ago
Hello, fellow miller! is there a reason you're running so many 1 of's with creatures? When you're running Phenax, God of Deception, you typically want to pair him with fatty defenders like Wall of Frost or Steel Wall for that maximum mill.
You'll want some heavy, one turn mill stuff. Breaking is a good budget-ranged card that does some substantial mill for not very much mana. Tome Scour is a nice little shave off the top of their deck while giving you card advantage.
Milling can be a slow, tedious process. You'll want plenty of time to set up your board presence, or get a nice consistent mill. You'll want to stall with things like Vapor Snag, Psychic Strike, Doom Blade or Go for the Throat.
Also, are you having issues getting mana flooded? Seems like you have quite a bit of land. Do you have so much because you have issues drawing the right color of mana?
|Power / Toughness||4/7|
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Born of the Gods||Mythic Rare|
- Phenax, God of Deception + Wall of Limbs
- Kiora's Follower + Phenax, God of Deception
- Consuming Aberration + Nighthowler + Phenax, God of Deception
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Phenax, God of Deception
- Phenax, God of Deception + Profane Memento
- Consuming Aberration + Phenax, God of Deception
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Phenax, God of Deception
- Phenax, God of Deception + Siren of the Silent Song
- Consuming Aberration + Phenax, God of Deception + Traumatize
- Phenax, God of Deception + Thousand-Year Elixir + Undead Alchemist
- Phenax, God of Deception + Undead Alchemist
- Nighthowler + Phenax, God of Deception
- Disciple of Deceit + Phenax, God of Deception
- Phenax, God of Deception + Thassa's Ire
- Disciple of Deceit + Phenax, God of Deception + Triton Tactics
- King Macar, the Gold-Cursed + Phenax, God of Deception
- Chasm Skulker + Phenax, God of Deception + Triton Tactics
- Kiora's Follower + Lord of Extinction + Phenax, God of Deception
- Phenax, God of Deception + Terra Stomper
- Phenax, God of Deception + Wall of Frost
- Phenax, God of Deception + Thassa's Devourer
- Phenax, God of Deception + Triton Tactics
- Oona, Queen of the Fae + Phenax, God of Deception
- Nighthowler + Phenax, God of Deception + Quickling
- Phenax, God of Deception + Szadek, Lord of Secrets
- Phenax, God of Deception + Prophet of Kruphix
- Myr Galvanizer + Palladium Myr + Phenax, God of Deception
- Consuming Aberration + Duskmantle Guildmage + Phenax, God of Deception
- Phenax, God of Deception + Consuming Aberration
- Lazav, Dimir Mastermind + Phenax, God of Deception
- Heroes' Bane + Phenax, God of Deception
- Consuming Aberration + Infinite Reflection + Phenax, God of Deception
- Phenax, God of Deception + Wight of Precinct Six
- Phenax, God of Deception + Relentless Rats
- Knacksaw Clique + Phenax, God of Deception
- Dragon Throne of Tarkir + Phenax, God of Deception
- Consuming Aberration + Glimpse the Unthinkable + Phenax, God of Deception
- Phenax, God of Deception + Shape the Sands
- Dragon's Eye Savants + Phenax, God of Deception + Prophet of Kruphix
- Altar of Dementia + Phenax, God of Deception
- Phenax, God of Deception + Szadek, Lord of Secrets + Thousand-Year Elixir
- Consuming Aberration + Phenax, God of Deception + Undead Alchemist
- Eater of the Dead + Phenax, God of Deception
- Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker + Phenax, God of Deception
- Phenax, God of Deception + Triton Tactics + Wall of Frost
- Phenax, God of Deception + Thousand-Year Elixir