|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Elves vs. Goblins (EVG)||Rare|
|Ninth Edition (9ED)||Rare|
|Ninth Edition Foreign Black Border (9EDFBB)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Slate of Ancestry
, , Discard your hand: Draw a card for each creature you control.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (17)||Clawsun73 , TheAlmostHero , Joblaska , electrolynx , Metaphisyk , mziter501 , itheoryz , rockleemyhero , elowry57 , Fineontheoutside , Kvothe1115 , Nemesis , almeidafabio , rebelteddybear , Pumpkinking913 , Bluboltar , Wolfebladeelite|
|Want (10)||coadster , ashirogimuto , Markwiz , bigblue32123 , obitus , Killingfool , iisfunnyman , edgybanana , continuum , Exiled_soul|
Slate of Ancestry Discussion
1 week ago
I would suggest focusing on having large numbers of low cost Goblins and ones with utility rather than big ones. Battle Squadron, Voracious Dragon, and Berserkers' Onslaught could be cut.
You might cut some of the anthems, or just play more efficient ones. Vanquisher's Banner gives card draw which is really helpful for this deck. Adaptive Automaton is worth a shot as a 2 CMC Goblin lord. Goblin King gives mountainwalk which could be relevant in multiplayer games. The new Goblin Trashmaster is a lord that also provides artifact removal. Ogre Battledriver and In the Web of War give haste and also pump your Goblins, so could replace Hammer of Purphoros.
Mana Echoes could be good to generate mana whenever you make or play Goblins, and also goes infinite with Umbral Mantle or Sword of the Paruns on Krenko if you would include those in your deck. Thornbite Staff can untap Krenko for free whenever a Goblin dies, so it goes infinite with any sac outlet. Ashnod's Altar is another good one.
1 week ago
@ForTheOldFrame: Thanks for your upvote and your detailed comment and sorry for posting so late. I was busy the last days and didn't find the time to reply.
I will try to answer to all your suggestion but I myself aren't an expert in EDH too. So maybe I am wrong with some choices and many cards depend on teh playgroup you are playing:
- Mentor of the Meek: Is already on my maybe list and goes in the deck as soon as I can get it.
- Concerted Effort: Is already on my maybe list and goes in the deck as soon as I can get it. But I will probably not build the deck around it. So Lost Auramancers, Plea for Guidance and Windbrisk Heights are out. Especially Windbrisk Heights as my rebels normally only attack once with three creatures or more.
- Land drops are an issue so Journeyer's Kite and Thawing Glaciers are great choice and I will try them out.
- Temple of the False God: I tend to have it on my starting hand nearly every time I play it in a deck. So I am not a big fan of this card. But with Journeyer's Kite and Thawing Glaciers it is maybe worth a try.
- Sword of the Animist: Mostly I need my rebels to control the table and don't have a chance to attack the first rounds.
- Rebels mitigate the lack of good carddraw in white by tutoring for your creatures. Normally I tend to keep 4-6 cards in my hand and use my mana to tutor for rebels or recast Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero so I don't need Jayemdae Tome, Armistice or Slate of Ancestry. Especially the later I think is not a good option with rebels. If you have enough rebels on the field you normally search for Mirror Entity and attack with your army.
- Light of Day synergices very well with Scuttlemutt and Distorting Lens so I will try it out.
- Cataclysm: Great suggestion and I will try to get one ;-)
- Fated Retribution is not the only instant wrath in white. There is also Rout. And I think if I add Cataclysm I am fine with wrath effects.
- Catastrophe and Armageddon are good option, but as I mostly play casual I leave them out.
- Cessation is better than Pacifism but at the moment Pacifism is only a placeholder and will get out of the deck. Presumable for an other suggestion form you.
- My playgroup mostly plays with older cards and so we decided to ban all planeswalkers. So Elspeth Tirel and Gideon of the Trials are out for me.
- Angel's Trumpet is a good card but not in my build, I think it is possibly in rebels but you have to build the deck differently.
- The runes cycle: Great suggestion. As rebels have already good answers against red and black I will try to find room for the three other runes.
- Icatian Store: I don't like the old storage land and I think that Fountain of Cho is strictly better. But normally I need my mana every turn and not a lot of mana in one turn. The only exception is Mirror Entity so I think I don't need it. But maybe I will try it out some day.
- Kongming, "Sleeping Dragon": For mone white Benalish Marshal is better and I will get one for this deck.
- Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite is great but to expensive (money) for me.
- Pariah and Pariah's Shield: I think you are right and the runes are better suited for the deck.
So thanks again for your comment and now I have the problem to find cards to take out for your suggestions ;-)
2 weeks ago
Upvoted and saving for future reference; I'm debating building something similar myself at some point. Rebels strike me as an archetype that's strong to the point of being dishonorable -- even today when a 4/4 for 4 is a little expensive.
If it weren't for Lin-Sivvi, I'd suggest going WB for black's excellent card draw, and access to Deathtouch and a few black rebels; but I think Lin-Sivvi is stronger than the entire color black, in this deck.
Understand that I know very little about EDH -- I've only played a few games, and never won any -- but I've been reading up and gathering advice; hopefully what follows will be worth it.
Thoughts, from how I understand EDH so far:
- Rebels are playing a long game by definition; use land fixing to match. Journeyer's Kite and Thawing Glaciers can thin out the deck as well as Green can. Land Tax might also be worth it, but definitely keep your Tithe.
- Run Concerted Effort (tutor it out with Lost Auramancers, Plea for Guidance, or Windbrisk Heights), and tutor out Rebels with abilities you want to share. It looks like you're running most of them already -- I'm especially happy to see Thermal Glider and Rappelling Scouts.
- Mana ramp? I've heard it says that whoever gets the most mana tends to win an EDH game, and I can particularly believe it for this deck. Temple of the False God is reliable, especially with the tutoring solutions I mentioned. Sword of the Animist would also work.
- Card draw: use Mentor of the Meek, Slate of Ancestry, maybe Jayemdae Tome and Armistice.
- Light of Day if your play group will tolerate it.
Breaking off here, since there's only so many cards you can propose in one comment. Will resume in a moment.
2 weeks ago
@louisjrt No worries at all. I made changes to this deck just a couple days ago, so I'm definitely not above improving it. If you want a great resource for commander deck-building edhrec.com is what I use for a lot of ideas and then test out what I like best. So since you made so many suggestions, I've decided to give each one a quick blurb based on my experience and a letter grade for simplicity's sake.
-Arcane Lighthouse C, by my quick count there are only 8 cards in this deck that would target opponents' creatures and most of them are of little consequence, more useful in other decks
-Buried Ruin A, there are several useful artifacts in this deck and if they are destroyed or milled this can be a saviour
-Myriad Landscape C+, can be useful if you get stuck on 3 lands and need to cast Krenko, Mob Boss, but more often than not I find it slows me down because it enters tapped and only taps for colourless
-Combat Celebrant A, a good, cheap way to get an extra combat, don't expect him to last long though
-Voracious Dragon B+, good way to deal quick damage and can be a powerhouse with evasion, though it can be taken out with targeted removal and lose your goblins for almost nothing
-Paradox Engine A, great card in general, but if you have a way to generate a lot of mana and can keep refilling your hand this can be very, very powerful
-The Immortal Sun C+, solid card that provides several benefits, but I think it's better served in other decks, the cmc is a bit high for goblins as well
-Kyren Negotiations C+, can be good for getting through blockers/pillow forts or comboing with infinite untaps, usually better to attack though
-Kindred Charge B-, can be useful as a finisher, requires a fairly good board state to be worth it though
-Burn at the Stake B-, pretty much same as above
-Last-Ditch Effort B-, pretty much also same as above, cmc is a lot more affordable though of course you lose your goblins
3 weeks ago
I think you could remove Mitotic Slime for Eldrazi Monument- Mitotic Slime is really only good with either sac outlets or as a "At least I still have something" in the event of someone casting a sweeper spell. Eldrazi Monument basically will serve that purpose, but better, since you'll just keep all of your stuff in the face of destruction spells.
I'm not huge on Tarmogoyf. Goyf is a house in Modern because efficient 4/5 beaters for 1G are incredible in a 20 life format. In a 40 life format with multiple opponents (upwards of 120+ life to chew through), Tarmogoyf is especially less valuable compared to things like Illusionist's Bracers, which helps your main game plan substantially, or even Serra Ascendant who is a 6/6 flying lifelink for W in Commander (I'd pick Illusionist's Bracers, but I mentioned Serra Ascendant to highlight the differences between Modern and Commander). So Goyf -> Bracers seems fair to me.
To fit in Teeg, I would drop one of your higher cost noncreature spells since those lack synergy with him while he's out protecting your from Wraths. Mwonvuli Acid Moss may need to become the more flexible (but non-ramping) Beast Within, as you can still remove things while that's out.
Cathars' Crusade could go in over Vorinclex or Thragtusk. Tusk is great outside of Commander or in Blink decks (like Roon of the Hidden Realm or something running Deadeye Navigator), but he only makes one 3/3 token here, which isn't really a big deal until Rhys multiplies it, so he takes a long time to get going in comparison to something like Imperious Perfect or any of your Planeswalkers.
Those're just my suggestions for cuts though. If you like some of those cards too much to cut them I could probably suggest others. Maybe. lol.
One additional suggestion: Maybe swap in Slate of Ancestry or Mentor of the Meek over Mind's Eye. Slate can draw you more cards than Mind's Eye if you control as few as 4 creatures, but the real power is in drawing 8-10+ and keeping the beatdown going. It's one of my more favored cards in token decks. Alternatively, Mentor of the Meek is a solid option since, if you're making babies, you have a higher ceiling of being able to abuse the card rather than waiting for your opponents to do something (and with only 6 instants in the deck, many of your Mind's Eye draws won't be reactive, while Mentor could let you draw your protection spells on your own turn, etc.).
4 weeks ago
I was thinking about brewing this incarnation of Arcades because Wall Tribal! Anyways I do have some suggestions mate, hope they help!
Distant Melody: This card is a very good draw engine if you find yourself able to keep a few Walls on the field when you use it. Only downside is it's a dead draw when the battlefield is being well controlled via removal.
Rhystic Study: A draw staple, Study is great for being a fast early play and possibly net you a decent amount of cards. However it becomes a target and eats removal fast but if you can score even 2+ cards via it's ability its worth it I'm
Dictate of Kruphix: A personal favorite of mine due to it's ability to be flashed in, Dictate is a card that also can help your rapport with the table seeing as how it helps everyone.
Slate of Ancestry: Okay now this one is a hit or miss but I personally love it in decks where the average CMC is low and the deck contains enough creatures to care about the Slates ability. I'd say at least try it out and tell me what you think.
Solidarity: This card is nearly unplayable under normal circumstances but in this list the buff for isn't necessarily bad yet not the greatest. Good for testing but who knows.
Assault Formation: I highly recommend wiggling this in your list somehow because this little enchantment will help keep your attackers online if Arcades keeps getting removed. The fact it also allows you access to a board wide buff effect is just added creme.
I'd add more but I have to wrap this up for now. Will comment again soon with more suggestions bro
4 weeks ago
Cards I'd cut:
Caged Sun - It's over the curve of the deck
Helm of the Host - Not really needed
Slate of Ancestry - No reliquary tower
Stoneforge Masterwork - Not needed
Sword of the Paruns - Not needed / doesn't help the deck
Goblin Warrens - Not worth it
In the Web of War - Shared animosity is in your build, good.
Mass Hysteria - Fevor and Hammer are fine
Rise of the Hobgoblins - Nope
Kyren Negotiations - Not worth it
Burn at the Stake - Not worth it, need to lower your curve
Descent of the Dragons - Lower your curve
Chancellor of the Forge - Depends on how much you like this.. otherwise, lower your curve
As for what I'd add...
Chaos Warp - Red has little enchantment removal, this gets around that. Can also target one of your goblins for free stuff
Beetleback Chief - Value
Blood Moon - Shuts down strip mine and other annoying lands
Goblin Piledriver - THIS is goblins
Imperial Recruiter - Value
Legion Loyalist - Trample
Ogre Battledriver - Value, haste +2/+0
Reckless One - Value when you have board state
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx - Value
Ancient Tomb - T2 Krenko
There's a ton of new goblins in M19, keep an eye out. I've got a Krenko build too if you want to check it out. Hope this helped you out.