Chainer, Dementia Master
Legendary Creature — Human Minion
Nightmare creatures get +1/+1.
, Pay 3 life: Put target creature card from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control. That creature is black and is a Nightmare in addition to its other creature types.
When Chainer, Dementia Master leaves the battlefield, exile all Nightmares.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Chainer, Dementia Master occurrence in decks from the last year
Recommendations View more recommendations
Latest Decks as Commander
Chainer, Dementia Master Discussion
1 week ago
It doesn't look like there's tooooo much from Kaldheim that's got much synergy with Chainer, Dementia Master
-Tergrid, God of Fright Flip looks pretty insane with all the edict effects i'm running. I'll probably swap Sangromancer out for her. Sangromancer is ok, but I have plenty of other life gain effects that are more consistent.
-Blood on the Snow looks ok, but it's pretty expensive, and maxes out at 6CMC for the reanimation aspect.
-Rise of the Dread Marn looks pretty cool if your meta has a lot of creature-heavy decks and board wipes, but it's quite situational.
-The new art on Village Rites is tempting me to find it a slot. A cheap sacrifice effect + car draw spell is very nice. The only issue I have with it is that it's basically useless in the early game, which is usually when you want to be casting your cheaper card draw spells.
1 week ago
Ah, discard. A field I know well.
I come bearing suggestions.
There are many fantastic discard engines that many do not know exist. Anvil of Bogardan is a favourite of mi... Wait, you have that one.
Well, Delirium Skeins is... Darn that Maybeboard.
I see you to be one of those players who digs deep, which is lovely. From the most vast of options broods the most fruitful of strategies. I do have my own discard list, built under Chainer, Dementia Master, which was my very first deck.
Unfortunately, you have all of my discard recommendations accommodated somewhere in this list, thus I must proffer my mono-Black choices. These are a little expensive, but they are what I have to offer.
Given the fact that you are both stealing permanents and forcing discard, I believe this to mean that you do not mind rude cards. Hence, Contamination. You have probably heard of this, but here it is again.
Hellfire is one of my favourite cards of all time, acting as a Cyclonic Rift that hurts your both life total and your wallet. I have died multiple times whilst casting this spell, but the artwork is great.
Snuff Out surprises a fair number of people, for being without mana typically entails being without interaction.
The most obscure card I run in my discard deck is Cao Cao, Lord of Wei. He is terrible, slow, and certainly exists.
Care to double the price of your deck? Well, Chains of Mephistopholes has you covered. It denies card draw like a Hullbreacher and offers fuel for the commander Flip. People do not typically mind proxies, if you would dare venture that route.
TLDR: I commend you for your card-digging adventures, for it takes patience to read all of the possible options for a commander deck, and I did my best in terms of suggestions.
Best of luck, and farewell.
Here is my own list, if you care: Let the Nightmare Go On..
1 week ago
Hi sSasquatch, thanks for tuning in! The majority of my wins come from
- Tree of Perdition
- Theft: Empress Galina, Chainer, Dementia Master and Memnarch.
- As you picked up, pingers: Hateflayer plus one of Gilded Lotus, Coveted Jewel and Prismatic Geoscope will finish things very quickly. Kamahl, Pit Fighter and/or Spikeshot Goblin plus Intruder Alarm also works nicely.
I haven't been able to play in a few months due to a long work trip but would definitely recommend the new Sakashima of a Thousand Faces if you aren't running it already. Happy caging!
2 months ago
Optimator: Hello there! Always gotta love Vilis decks, especially as detailed as this one :D A lot of cards in Maybeboard would fit the deck really well (I just have no idea why you got some cards two or three times there), but I would try to minimalize the maybeboard as much as possible, to not look the deck so chaotic.
I run Vilis in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck.. he doesnt really fit the theme/idea of the deck so well, but Vilis is just too badass to cut out :D (anyway, any feedback/suggestions would be welcomed aswell <3 )
Some cards in deck I would cut, why, and their replacement:
1) Falkenrath Noble - might be a nice card in an aristocrat deck, there isnt really any way to generate->sac big amount of your creatures to abuse Falkenrath Noble as much as possible, also costs . If you want an aristocrat, Bastion of Remembrance could be a possible option aswell. Its cheaper, gives you a 1/1 token and has the same effect as F.Noble. Sure, can't attack or block, but Bastion is also harder to remove since its an Enchantment.
2) Leaden Myr - as you already mentioned, a possible cut for some other mana-rock.. I would switch it for Malakir Rebirth Flip as an another kind of "protection" to either Vilis or another important creature at the moment. With Vilis on board, it even draws you two cards (destroy protection, draw two cards, triggering aristocrat-like effects at instant speed for only ? YES PLEASE! ). In worse case scenario, its also additional land drop. Another possible replacement could be Blood Celebrant, which synergies well with both Vilis and K'riik.
3) Liliana's Contract - would probably fit better in some Demon tribal deck or Conspiracy deck. You also have only six Demons in your deck, all of them with fairly high mana cost. As a better card-draw, I would add either Greed, since it draws you 3 cards with Vilis on board, maybe even Skullclamp that would draw you two cards every turn with Ophiomancer, but Greed would be most likey better option, since there isnt really any other way to generate a lot of tokens every turn.
4) Crux of Fate - no Dragons in your deck, not even so many of them in black in general, so outside of politic reason, other 5CMC or less boardwipes would be better. I personally love Life's Finale, its more expensive than Crux of Fate, but enables you to look and search in target opponent's deck and put up to 3 creatures from their deck into theri graveyard, which would synergize with Chainer, Dementia Master, Geth, Lord of the Vault and some other.
5) Ruinous Path - sorcery speed removal is kinda meh, so something like Hero's Downfall is just better. I personally like Eat to Extinction, even if its more expensive, it helps with top-deck managment (+exiles targeted creature/pw).
6) Cut few swamps for:
6a) Cabal Stronghold - Stronghold is cheap, can tap itself for and can give you plenty of later on.
6b) Emergence Zone - I personally love this utility land, just because it gives you spells Flash whenever you sac it. It doesnt ETB tapped and can help you casting some stuff when you sac it.
7) Chaos Wand - might be a fun card, but doesnt really fit the deck at all. I would cut it for Bontu's Monument to make a lot of your big black stuff cheaper and another small source of life-gain.
8) Big mana-rocks: Gilded Lotus and Thran Dynamo - I used to run those too, but slowly started replacing them with cheaper mana rocks like Thought Vessel and Arcane Signet. Hedron Archive is okay-ish since it can draw you two cards when you no longer need it, but with Vilis and especially mono-black, there can always be enough card draw.
9) Spellbook - would be fine, if you didnt manage to get your Reliquary Tower or Venser's Journal on board, but otherwise its just a dead card that does nothing to you anymore. I would rather replace it with Ivory Tower to get some life back.
10) Curtains' Call - I would replace this one for one of the following:
10a) Devour in Shadow/Vendetta - cheap removal that can potentionaly draws you X cards aswell.
10b) Dismember - depending on how big the creature is, but since you could cast it for only one and draw 4 cards aswell, its decent choice aswell.
10c) Snuff Out - free removal in 99.999% time, which can draws you 4 cards aswell, but not for black creatures, which, depending on your opponent's deck, might be important. Still most likely a better option.
10d) Tragic Slip - goes through indestructible, but requires a creature to die to be maximum effective, which might be sometimes a problem. Still, really good one.
10e) Malicious Affliction - another cheap removal, which is also locked to non-black creatures, but is able to destroy two creatures if a creature died already, so similar issue like Tragic Slip.
10f) Profane Command - I just totally love this card. Its not instant, but can be really flexible in various situations, so I would probably go for this as a replacement.
10g) Erebos's Intervention - similar to Profane Command, it flexile aswell, providing you to remove some indestructible creature and get some life; or serves as a fairly decent graveyard hate at instant speed.
I won't go through cards in maybeboard, even though there is plenty of really nice cards that would work so well in Vilis's deck, like Bolas's Citadel, Doom Whisperer, Font of Agonies and Phyrexian Reclamation and many more, it would just be a little too much, I would say... :D
I hope some of my suggestions will help, gonna upvote this for sure, just because it looks really nice, especially with so many possible cards that could easily fit so well :)
2 months ago
I've been "upgrading" the deck a bit recently with some cash from selling some old Pokemon cards I had laying around (seriously, check if you have any old ones... some are worth a LOT).
I've been focusing on lowering the average CMC of the deck and making it more consistent! I've also added few more cards that can regain me life, mainly to balance out the damage many of my own cards deal to me! I'm swapping out my Swamps with Snow-Covered Swamps to fuel Dead of Winter, a pet sweeper of mine. I'm also preparing for the possibility of a Snow theme in the 2021 sets!
I've added some more large-scale removal options, including Dead of Winter, Archfiend of Depravity, as well as some new pinpoint removal options with Hagra Mauling Flip and Noxious Gearhulk. I'm hoping all the removal will make Revel in Riches (which I've finally gotten around to adding after so many recommendations) a viable win condition!
The cards that I've been cutting have mainly been ones I've found sitting dead in my hand for many games because they're just too situational. Skeleton Key costed too much just to have the chance to Loot a few times, and relied on having a Creature in play that could attack without dying instantly. Supernatural Stamina had a best case scenario of getting a 1-for-1, and maybe triggering an ETB effect again, and the new card Malakir Rebirth Flip does a very good impression, but with the bonus of being a and in an opening hand. Plaguecrafter and Massacre Girl weren't tooooo bad, working well with recursion effects and Mimic Vat, but I found they were often dead in my hand for many games.
The only card I've recently cut that I think I might try to fit back in is Desecration Demon. This absolute BEATSTICK has performed really really well! He's also a pretty good resurrection target, and most games I find ways to play him over and over again (I think my record is 6 times in a 1v1 match). He works very well with Profane Command as he's so cheap! His downside of being able to be tapped at start of combat with a Sacrifice tends to be almost totally negated in this deck, which actively wants your opponents Creatures to die!
I've recently gotten a copy of Chainer, Dementia Master, which I'm going to try out as an alternative commander for this deck when I'm feeling extra spicy. I might end up putting him in the 99, maybe replacing Geth, Lord of the Vault, who can't target my own creatures? If anyone has experience with Chainer, I'd love to know how well he works in the 99!
Anyway, Commander Legends looks like it's not going to give me tooo many new toys for this deck (although War Room looks pretty good!). If anyone has any further suggestions or any questions, I'd love to hear them!
4 months ago
Good day to you!
You probably don't remember me. (You commented on my Chainer deck one time.) Now, that was some splendid advice, whereupon I would like to entreat your trenchant eye once more.
I have recently finished a Bladewing list, one that has had some pleasing results, but it hasn't felt as potent as my other decks. I enjoy drawing cards, I enjoy consistency, yet this strategy seems to lack both. I have playtested some of your decks, they all seem solid, so if you have the time I would love your input.
You may find it here: Lurid Revival
Thank you very much!
4 months ago
SufferFromEDHD if Null Brooch didn't have the "non-creature" restriction it would be in the deck, but it can't counter creatures which is the only thing Chainer, Dementia Master can reanimate. Also, hand discard effects would be a lot better if I had more creatures in my deck, with only 27 creatures in the 99 I prefer Yawgmoth, Thran Physician as a discard outlet that also provides me value.
5 months ago
budlaorf thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately Havengul Lich is way too slow for this deck. A much better alternative for it is Chainer, Dementia Master which was in the deck but got removed along side Kokusho, the Evening Star due to me wanting to move away from that combo. The card is incredibly powerful though and could eventually put back in the deck as a finisher. Without Kokusho, the Evening Star of course, either of those paint a huge target on your head.