|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Ultimate Masters (UMA)||Uncommon|
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Venser vs. Koth (DDI)||Uncommon|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Incarnation
As long as Anger is in your graveyard and you control a Mountain, creatures you control have haste.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
1 day ago
TheGeneralAdvisor thank you very much for your considerations, you have given me a lot of food for thought.
I agree with your view that Wheel of Fate probably doesn’t earn the place. The more tuned the deck has become, the more suspend has been situational (need to cast it in the first few turns otherwise it’s a dead card). This might be a good cut to try Apex of Power . My only reservation is ten mana is a significant investment as would normally be expecting to win (or have been knocked out) by then. Certainly worth trying though!
If I could afford a Gauntlet of Might I would definitely swap out Extraplanar Lens . I have lost count the number of times that it has ramped me to a win when the early game had been thwarted. I also plan to pick up a Grim Monolith just to tune/speed the deck up a bit.
Goblin Bushwhacker is always cast for its kicker cost as a 2-mana, single turn haste enabler to combo off. Goblin Ringleader is a holdover from when it was more tribal based deck, and your probably right it needs removing. Moggcatcher is there to tutor up Skirk Prospector or one of the haste enabling goblins. With this list’s lack of tutors, I would definitely think she earns the spot to stay.
I used to run Aggravated Assault , but took it out to lower the curve. Now that the deck has lots of ways to produce infinite mana, I think it may be worth testing again.
I have tried Anger but could never consistently get it in the bin and don’t have space to dedicate for it to work. Hopefully a more efficient haste enabler than Ogre Battledriver comes in time and I will drop it.
Thank you so much man, your comment was awesome!
1 day ago
@apohl13, Absolutely! The thing I love about the list is that it's very flexible and you can remove pieces that are less important to you very easily. Here are some one's I'd recommend looking at if you want to find room for Pentavus
Avalanche Riders - if you don't have much need for land destruction in your meta, this is easily replaceable. It can be a wincon in and of itself, but I know some people really like to avoid LD altogether
Corpse Connoisseur - I go back and forth on this card a lot. Sometimes it's amazing with a recursion engine active, and sometimes it's just an Anger fetcher. Either way, I tend to stick with it cause I like it, but I could see arguments for skipping it.
Gonti, Lord of Luxury - fun card that makes use of your opponent's decks, but isn't necessarily needed. Though he can be a nice backup wincon with infinite mana and a Digger Loop.
Pilgrim's Eye - one of the weaker mana ramp flips.
Hope that gives you some good replacement ideas. And as you mentioned, Kitesail Freebooter isn't a good replacement since you can't abuse the ETB/LTB trigger like you can with Mesmeric Fiend to permanently remove every players hand at instant speed.
3 days ago
I think I would speed the deck up. You have a lot of control here, and if your meta needs it that’s fine, but cards like Stranglehold , Blood Moon and the like are all very slow. It’s basically skipping a turn to play them and hope that nobody deals with it, and they don’t actually advance you winning the game. Wheel of Fate is way too slow as well. As a personal opinion, I also find cards like Extraplanar Lens very clunky and vulnerable, and they rarely speed the game up faster than a Gauntlet of Might . Power is a fine substitute although I think it’s probably too slow for what you’re doing.
Sword of the Paruns is a slow combo piece that I probably wouldn’t run over the other options you’re already running. Goblin Bushwhacker , Goblin Ringleader , and Moggcatcher can be cut as well. You don’t have enough gobos unless you recruit them and it’s not worth a slot in the deck for that synergy. Finding another card draw would be much better. Bushwhacker isn’t necessary; you just have more efficient ways of winning. I think even Boggart Shenanigans could be cut as it’s somewhat redundant and slows the deck down.
If you find yourself going infinite pretty quick (which is the goal obviously) Apex of Power will get you there. It’s easy to cast (sometimes just with a ritual or hymn) and should finish the game for you. Aggravated Assault is pretty standard for Krenko combo as well.
You already have most of the cheap rocks aside from Grim Monolith , so I’d probably add that one. Also Final Fortune and Last Chance are essentially Time Walk for a deck that really just wants another turn to finish the game. Anger is a better haste enabler than Ogre Battledriver and you can add Cathartic Reunion to give you another discard outlet.
I think as a guideline for straight combo decks, a card should answer a few basic questions:
Does this card help me win, and if so, how fast is it compared to the rest of the deck? (ramp, lands, tutors, card draw, turns)
If this is a combo card, is it the most efficient one I can run? If it’s not, is it worth having the redundancy?
If it’s not a combo card and it’s not helping me win faster, why is it in the deck? (Meta, utility, maybe some recovery)
I’m sure there’s something I missed but hopefully this is useful to you.
4 days ago
Definitely Add Show
Possibly Add Show
- Forge of Heroes
- Preyseizer Dragon
- Hound of Griselbrand
- Ion Storm
- Curse of Stalked Prey
- Cyclonic Rift
- Mark of Mutiny
- Sower of Temptation
- Conquering Manticore
- Dragonlord Silumgar
- Aura Thief
- Puca's Mischief
- Infernal Tribute
- Claws of Gix
- Viscera Seer
- Ogre Slumlord
- Open the Graves
- Pawn of Ulamog
- Sifter of Skulls
- Falkenrath Noble
- Power Conduit
- Palace Familiar
- Surveilling Sprite
- Ogre Battledriver
4 days ago
Some good adds: Fervor Lightning Greaves Night's Whisper Anger Hatred True Conviction Honden of Cleansing Fire Crypt Ghast Greed or Erebos, God of the Dead Solemn Simulacrum Final Parting Painful Truths Unburial Rites Rhox Faithmender
I would cut: Agent of Masks Iroas, God of Victory Odric, Lunarch Marshal Purphoros, God of the Forge Mogis, God of Slaughter Ghostway Teferi's Protection Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath Chandra's Ignition Consuming Vapors Obzedat, Ghost Council Disrupt Decorum
4 days ago
Love the concept, this feels so cool!
Some suggestions I think could fit there and make the list even more reliable:
- Phyrexian Reclamation > busted card. In any creature-heavy decklist like yours with some sacrifice strategy, it's a staple.
- Attrition > another busted card. Fine sac outlet.
- Priest of Forgotten Gods > slow card - high rewards. I really like this one alongside both boots and greaves. It's not the best sac outlet ever seen, but it greatly helps with the Aristocrat theme.
- Vindictive Vampire (not updated on Tappedout yet) > another brand new awesome card! It is a better Falkenrath Noble , specially designed for EDH. I expect it to be one of the strongest cards from the new set for EDH, as it doesn't need to set-up your combo in order to become devastating.
- Anger > gives haste to your rats for even more pressure.
- Pack Rat > obviously excellent there.
- Marrow-Gnawer > the classical ''Rat'' Commander. Nice with a haste enabler: it creates Rats token, works like sac outlet... just everything you want.
- Insult / Injury > good to find a lethal, but also acts as a fine removal card. Could be a nice inclusion, according to your preferences though.
- Anvil of Bogardan > an old artifact I like a lot. Not so many plays it, but I feel like it always is a really good card if you want to play with your graveyard a bit. You draw an extra card, discard a Rat, uses some enchantment/ Living Death ability to bring back your bois on the battlefield, etc. Honestly, I see it as a staple.
- The Immortal Sun > Both Liliana and Angrath aren't that good here imo. Liliana works as a pretty 'meh' ramp tool and is barely better than a Thaumatic Compass Flip (which won't fit at all in this decklist). Angrath is more flexible and efficient, but its abilities don't justify its mana-cost. Running Immortal Sun will help you to slow down sometimes your opponents, provides you fine card draw (which is always good), and finally make your rats cheaper as well as stronger.
A bunch of cards that could be destructive powerhouses, but which would demand some interesting take on your deckbuilding:
- Patriarch's Bidding > with (for example) some cards like Secret Salvage + Zombie Infestation , it enables crazy combos. It's better than Living Death for tribal decks, but I would say that you should run both of em.
- Anthem of Rakdos > very slow but oppressive card when you manage to take up board advantage. I would argue that this is better than Havoc Festival in this brew.
- Hazoret's Favor > one of the most shunned cards of Amonketh I think has a lot of potentials to exploit. You could run Combat Celebrant alongside/or Aggravated Assault .
I hope the small list above will give new ideas to explore. Keep on the good work and enjoy brewing!
1 week ago
Here are some mainly budget suggested adds:
Beastmaster Ascension - attack with prossh and 6 kobolds and they all get buffed.
Dictate of Erebos can visually be cast quicker in a three color deck before grave pact.
Journey to Eternity Flip - some of the best budget recursion.
Pattern of Rebirth - can be used to get a combo piece like blood artist, or to get some board changer.
Champion of Lambholt - let's you make your creature almost unblockable.
Brawn and Anger are good especially in decks with built in ways to get into grave yard.
Diabolic Intent has dropped in price since reprint, it's good on token decks and cheaper than the main 2 tutors.
Primal Vigor is a viable doubling season, but only cast when ready to combo.
Phyrexian Altar has dropped to like $18, not budget but half of what it was. But Pitiless Plunderer will also work with prossh in play.
Creakwood Liege - buffs commander and makes tokens.
Smothering Abomination - good card draw in any black token deck. Sidisi, Undead Vizier easily recurable tutor.
1 week ago
You might have a slight misconception with Garna and showstopper, Garna doesn't put them back on the field, and showstopper doesn't hit opponents directly, only their creatures.
To that end, Twilight's Call, Patriarch's Bidding, and Wake the Dead (don't ask me how I missed them myself) are 3 other amazing sources of mass recursion in black you could use. However, if you're willing to play it out, you could still use Garna and similar "back to hand" style mass recursion by abusing Pawn of Ulamog and Phyrexian Altar (or also see Pitiless Plunderer and Thermopod). Assuming just a basic 7 rats in hand, you can cast the first one, sack it to the altar for black and the eldrazi spawn token that is created at the same time provides the colorless (if needed) to cast the next rat line. Thus dumping every single one from hand back into the yard for (hopefully) massive damage and if nothing else a high storm count (if you wanna abuse that for anything). Bonus round: use the latter two I mentioned to keep casting Squee, the Immortal
As far as Showstopper goes, I think I'll be dropping it myself unless I decide to slot in a Stuffy Doll or something similar. The best use for it is when an opponent tries to decide when you kill your own board state, so you would use it to take out their board as well. Except in commander they are probably doing so via a board wipe of their own so it might be a moot point. Idk. I'll have to do some testing.
Lastly, kudos for finding yet another line of play for Judith. Since your rats will be boosting their own power most of the time, you may not need to use Ogre Battledriver for the power boost or the haste, and may want to play around Anger or slot in another form of evasion for your team.