|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Dragons of Tarkir (DTK)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Commune with Lava
Exile the top X cards of your library. Until the end of your next turn, you may play those cards.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (23)||Bad_Dog , DrPopular , Nemesis , Nebman227 , Snydog17 , joshw335 , thetechzombie , ironax , Grantley91 , RPG_FOX , sneferie , Yawkcorb , duff87 , DudeMan1031 , Epidilius , AyyAyyRon , AllDayTayTay , Regulus1010 , mcstang1986 , rockleemyhero , Kleptozaniac , rakdos24 , bakeraj4|
|Want (6)||metalevolence , kovellen , marsp44 , coadster , Penguin_Gamer_1 , Lazysaurus|
Commune with Lava Discussion
1 week ago
Hello all! Sorry for the lack of response, I’ve been focused on other decks recently but I wanted to stop in and give a decent response because I know lots of folks are interested in the build.
@harbingerofduh - traditionally I’m against combo as well, this all sort of derived organically off of the old “fair” version of the deck that was simply “spells matter” with Extort effects. But I’m pretty happy having my lone all in combo build, it can be fun to play solitaire from time to time!
I do love the Final Fortune suggestion in particular, I feel it could do some real work basically accelerating our combo turn by +1. I may find a spot for it!
@DofaLord - not unreasonable at all! It’s totally understandable to want to make this deck budget, Licia is the queen of jank so why not lean into it and save your wallet while at it?
I think going budget with your proposed edits is probably quite feasible, but the deck will likely run several turns slower on the combo. The one card I encourage shelling out for (other than Yawgmoth's Will which is like the whole budget) is Sensei's Divining Top. Once we have a Helm of Awakening effect on the field that card literally just doubles the storm count for every cantrip we play for free.
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
This is a minor one but when I first started using Commune with Lava me and my friends thought they had to pick new targets and just found chose the creature I already burned or the land that was already blown up
4 weeks ago
The only suggestion I have is Commune with Lava. I feel like the turn before you feel you want to go off it can add some extra gas without having to dedicate lots of mana during your storm turn. I know it’s really janky but I had to at least mention it.
1 month ago
ticked-off-squirrel: Thanks for the compliment! I am very proud of how it has turned out. As for the card suggestions, here are my comments.
Hazoret's Monument: Originally I shied away from Hazoret's because early on I only had like 19 creatures or so, and didn't end up casting them that often. Now that I technically have 25 of them, I think it appeals to me a lot more. I am going to get one and test it out.
Outpost Siege: My experience with Outpost Siege is I only ever declared Khans because I was always hurting for draw, but by the time I got to use it it was Turn 5, and I draw an extra card before it gets destroyed, if I even get to that point. I think if Dragons said "each opponent" instead it would be a completely different story, and an autoinclude for me, but unfortunately it's the same reason I don't run Boggart Shenanigans, the damage is just too narrow.
Tamiyo's Journal: Similar problem with this one, in my meta, even though we aren't playing cEDH decks, we are all at a minimum playing 75%, and having something really come online on T6 or so isn't fast enough to be useful, which is why I've leaned more towards the harder hitting draw spells like Commune with Lava, Memory Jar, or Mindmoil if that one works out. I think Tamiyo's is really interesting as an effect, I just think they dropped the ball on Clues and making them too heavily costed.
Thanks for commenting!
3 months ago
Nice! I play pretty casually and play almost exclusively Boros colors, so here's my take:
- 1) 3.5. Skullclamp is really good in just about any token, sac or equipment deck.
- 2) 4. The only thing holding this back is the price.
- 3) 3. Not bad. The fact that you have to pay every time is annoying. Not quite as good as number 1.
- 4) 2.5. Not a huge fan. This basically eats up half your mana base and makes you the target of Strip Mines.
- 5) 2.5. Mask of Memory is pretty decent. Middle of the road.
- 6) 3. Solid. I like it.
- 7) 3. Good plan, Lifegain to mitigate paying life. Best with Necropotence.
- 8) 2. Still helps opponents, and normally discard outlets are useless without the deck being built around them.
- 9) 2. Tower of Fortunes is not really good if you don't have insane ramp. Better options out there.
- 10) 3.5. Nice!
- 11) 1. Just play Phyrexian Arena. Use Strionic Resonator for bigger trigger effects.
- 12) 2. Well of Lost Dreams is actually pretty good, but there are better lifegain effects than Peace of Mind. I like Inventors' Fair.
- 13) 2.5. You have to be pretty desperate to use this but it seems like it'd be okay sometimes.
- 14) 3.5. Tribal is always powerful.
- 15) 2.5. It's okay, kinda easy to interupt.
- 16) 3.5. I love Infiltration Lens!
- 17) 1. Little too janky and helps opponents.
- 18) 4. Because Slate of Ancestry is so good.
- 19) 1. I feel like there are better ways to repeat wheels. This one costs too much.
- 20) 5. My all time personal favorite. Humble Defector is good alone and my top two-drop in all my Boros/red decks.
So again, from a strictly Boros perspective, those are my thoughts. I'm sure you can see the biases and the ones I've actually tested haha!
Others to consider:
- Prophetic Flamespeaker + Sword of Fire and Ice
- Knollspine Dragon + Damage
- Commune with Lava + Neheb, the Eternal//other ramp
- Loreseeker's Stone + lots of mana
- Grenzo, Havoc Raiser + lots of tokens
- Book of Rass + Lifegain if you're not in black/no necropotence
- Commander's Sphere + Sun Titan
- The Immortal Sun... alone
- Azor's Gateway Flip + Untap effects//filter effects
Hope some of this helps. This will be a good resource!
3 months ago
When it comes to actual spells... I'm not that versed in red, but maybe Young Pyromancer?
4 months ago
Exile the top two cards of your library. Until the end of your next turn, you may play those cards.