Ignite the Beacon
Search your library for up two planeswalker cards, reveal them, put them into your hand, then shuffle your library.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Ignite the Beacon Discussion
1 month ago
TIL that emojis aren't parsed properly by TappedOut even though they appear fine in the preview! Let's try again...
I've found this list really helpful whilst drafting decks over the last few years, thanks for putting it together! :) Judging by the 400,000 views that this has had I'm guessing I'm not the only person who feels that way :D
Since this list hasn't been updated since pre-WAR, I thought I'd put together a pretty comprehensive list of all tutors released since then (including all of the tutors mentioned in the comments above). Hopefully putting it in one place will make it easier to update! Note - as per the list you've curated, I've excluded any tutors that fetch specific cards (e.g. Yanling's Harbinger ) or basic lands. I've also left off the card types and colours since there's already enough text in the comment and it can be seen from the preview. Right - on with the list!
CARD: TUTOR FOR - ANY COMMENTS/SUGGESTED CATEGORIES
- Axgard Armory : Aura or Equipment - to hand
- Boggart Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Burning-Rune Demon : Anything - to hand, to graveyard
- Chandra, Heart of Fire : Instants/Sorceries - jump through hoops, to cast
- Coveted Prize : Anything - to hand, (jump through hoops) to cast
- Deathbellow War Cry : Creature - tutor by creature type, to battlefield
- Divining Witch : Anything - jump through hoops, to hand
- Dwarven Recruiter : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Elvish Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Elvish Reclaimer : Land - to battlefield
- Emergent Ultimatum : Anything - tutor by name, to cast
- Enigmatic Incarnation : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Fabled Passage : Land - to battlefield
- Faerie Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Fiend Artisan : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Finale of Devastation : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Garruk, Unleashed : Creature - jump through hoops, to battlefield
- Giant Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Golos, Tireless Pilgrim : Land - to battlefield
- Gravebreaker Lamia : Anything - to graveyard
- Guided Passage : Anything - jump through hoops
- Ignite the Beacon : Planeswalker - to hand
- Jester's Cap : Anything - to exile
- Kaho, Minamo Historian : Instant - jump through hoops, to exile
- Kithkin Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Magda, Brazen Outlaw : Artifact or Dragon - tutor by type, to battlefield, jump through hoops
- Magus of the Order : Creature - tutor by colour, to battlefield
- Merrow Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Mythos of Brokkos : Anything - jump through hoops, to graveyard, to hand
- Nahiri, the Harbinger : Artifact/Creature - jump through hoops, to battlefield
- Neoform : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Nylea's Intervention : Land, to hand
- Pyre of Heroes : Creature - jump through hoops, tutor by type and CMC, to battlefield
- Quest for the Holy Relic : Equipment - to battlefield, jump through hoops
- Reshape the Earth : Land - to battlefield
- Rootless Yew : Creature - tutor by POW or TOU, to hand
- Scheming Symmetry : Anything - to top of library
- Shared Summons : Creature - to hand
- The World Tree : Creature - tutor by creature type, to battlefield
- Treefolk Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Ulvenwald Hydra : Land - to battlefield
- Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire : Anything - to top of library
- Vivien, Monsters' Advocate : Creature - jump through hoops, tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Wishclaw Talisman : Anything - to hand
It wasn't entirely clear to me what categories the below cards should go under since they search for specific card subtypes:
- Opposition Agent : ??? (This sort of counts as a 'tutor your opponents decks' card!)
- Runed Crown : Rune - 'searches for tribal cards'?
- Runeforge Champion : Rune - 'searches for tribal cards'?
- Sanctum of All : Shrines - 'searches for tribal cards'?
- Search for Glory : Snow/legendary/saga - could go under a few sections?
- Spirit of the Aldergard : Land - 'searches for tribal cards'?
Seeing as the three creators of this list haven't been on TappedOut in at least 8 months I'm guessing that this comment won't go anywhere, but at least it's all in one place for people to search for later. I'm happy to help maintain and update this list if I'm given access. (If I haven't heard back in a couple of months then I might look at creating a copy of this list and linking it here for anyone looking for an up-to-date list of tutors.)
1 month ago
I've found this list really helpful whilst drafting decks over the last few years, thanks for putting it together!
3 months ago
Hi! Thanks for the upvote.
A few suggestions:
Overwhelming Stampede rather than Overcome ; Sure your deck has many weenies, but by the time you're gonna want a 5 cmc mass trample for the win, you'll probably have something with larger than 2 power out.
Rule of Law is great for multiplayer, but Curse of Exhaustion might fit if you're gearing the deck for 1v1. If you are going for multiplayer, then Kismet works great at slowing opponents down without impacting yourself.
With the amount of PWs in the deck, Ignite the Beacon and Oath of Ajani might be worthwhile.
Phyrexian Rebirth could be a good board wipe, especially if you have crazy token amounts. Especially funny if you can combo it with Fresh Meat . Also funny with Requiem Angel out - a card worth including on its own, especially if you end up juggling your own tokens for other things.
Hardened Scales , Gavony Township , and Bloodspore Thrinax , could play nice with the +1/+1 subtheme.
Ashnod's Altar is great for utilizing creature tokens to get more things out.
Tireless Tracker might help with card draw later and gets some counters on its own.
The deck comp is pretty balanced, so Traverse the Ulvenwald might be effective. Congregation at Dawn and Chord of Calling are other tutor options if you find that the deck is more successful with particular creatures out.
I love swapping weaker tokens with Emrakul's Evangel (another fun fresh meat combo play). Of course, there is always Divine Visitation as well. It's easy to go overboard on doublers, but I figured I'd give a shout out to Primal Vigor and Second Harvest .
Swords to Plowshares for Pacifism ; might be better in some scenarios and always allows you to target your own creature to get some life out of it if you need to or if you go for the lifegain route.
Speaking of the lifegain route, if you want to go for it, here's some things that could work well: Phantom Nishoba , Wall of Reverence , Cradle of Vitality , Fumigate , Congregate , Blighted Steppe , Blossoming Sands , Gingerbread Cabin , Radiant Fountain , Graypelt Refuge , Kabira Crossroads , High Market , and Phyrexian Processor . The land balance will need to be played with if you want to swap the basics for some of those. Also, most Ajani PWs will work well for a more lifegain focused deck.
Now, when I think token generation, I think artifacts for many things. Thopter Assembly , Genesis Chamber , and Summoning Station come to mind. If you end up with more artifact tokens, you can use them with things like Krark-Clan Ironworks and Kuldotha Forgemaster . Also help with things like Dispatch .
Annnnnd one more suggestion if I haven't overstayed my welcome. Funny things can happen in token decks that put out a lot of creatures when you play The Great Aurora . Usually gives you a much stronger board state than opponents - might want to have a safety Reliquary Tower in for that hand size though!
Sorry if I doubled up on anything you had already considered!
7 months ago
Things that synergize with white's effects like counters with Mindless Automaton, lifegain with Well of Lost Dreams, and tokens or small dudes with Skullclamp, that or Sword of Fire and Ice for equipment strategies, Smuggler's Copter and Bonders' Enclave for other strategies.
And in white, after looking it up for Omniscience_is_life, here is my new, semi-educated package:
Land Tax, Mangara, the Diplomat, Alms Collector, Weathered Wayfarer, Mesa Enchantress, Kor Spiritdancer, Sram, Senior Edificer, Stonehewer Giant, Dawn of Hope, Puresteel Paladin, Mentor of the Meek, Bygone Bishop, Luminarch Ascension, Emeria, The Sky Ruin, Sun Titan, Sevinne's Reclamation, Ranger of Eos, and Castle Ardenvale
Not to mention tutors being Weathered Wayfarer/Ranger of Eos being tutors, alongside Steelshaper's Gift, Open the Armory, Recruiter of the Guard, Ranger-Captain of Eos, Academy Rector, Arena Rector, Call the Gatewatch, Idyllic Tutor, Enlightened Tutor, Heliod's Pilgrim, Quest for the Holy Relic, Three Dreams, Boonweaver Giant, Auratouched Mage, Djeru, With Eyes Open, Taj-Nar Swordsmith, Thalia's Lancers, Totem-Guide Hartebeest, Relic Seeker, Priest of the Wakening Sun, Forerunner of the Legion, Ignite the Beacon, Plea for Guidance, Kithkin Harbinger, etc.
Oh, and there is more, just look!
8 months ago
Many thanks to both and SPACEgun!
So I agree on several points:
Deploy the Gatewatch is underwhelming about half the time, as it's sometimes hitting planeswalkers that aren't that helpful or sometimes nothing at all. Given it's a 6 mana sorcery with the need for double white I think this might be worth a cut for Ignite the Beacon for the greater reliability of being able to play the planeswalkers I actually want to play.
For mana I think Mana Confluence is good but Gemstone Mine is a good pick with proliferate. Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth has always been on the radar but I've yet to find another copy as they are all tied up in my other black EDH decks currently.
I am finding a way to add Astral Cornucopia to the deck but I will see if I can find a Coalition Relic as well. The only reason I am not that big a fan of Everflowing Chalice is due to the mana being colourless and the decks heavy reliance on colour fixing.
For mana fixing I was also considering the Thriving land cycle from the Jumpstart set. I think while the lands are slow they add a lot of flexibility to the mana base.
Mana ratios need to be fixed for more green mana for early game.
Venser, the Sojourner may not be nearly as good as I thought he was. I play him a lot in Roon Blink EDH but here because of the sorcery-speed of the deck it just sort of does not a whole lot for anyone unless you're already winning. I think this may be one of the first difficult cuts just based upon experience.
Some play tips I've come to learn:
- Always play Atraxa turn 4 if you can. If she gets removed: fine if annoying, but the main thing is that there are very few things you can really do efficiently with 4 mana in this deck so setting yourself up for a proliferate seems to be worth it every time.
9 months ago
I’ve got mixed feelings about Deploy the Gatewatch. I’ve been burned by it a few times now, and a recent google search brought me to a page with statistical analysis of it’s likelihood to go off. Long story short, a deck would need 33 or more walkers to give you decent enough odds to warrant it’s inclusion. For six mana it could do nothing, unless you’ve got good top-deck control. It does combo with Enlightened Tutor I suppose, but I think you might get better value out of Ignite the Beacon. I also agree that Everflowing Chalice and Astral Cornucopia are must-haves for atraxa. Otherwise I like this deck a lot, and it’s given me lots of ideas for my own Atraxa superfriends deck.