Magus of the Order
Creature — Human Wizard
, , Sacrifice Magus of the Order and another green creature: Search your library for a green creature card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Magus of the Order Discussion
3 months ago
6 months ago
Thanks for your suggestions! Primal Surge is an interesting card, but I don't think that it fits this deck that well. I'm running 17 non-permanent cards, so the chances of missing a permanent with it is constantly considerable. It also costs ten mana and this deck does not generate that mana easily or early in the game.
Magus of the Order can be interesting way of tutor certain creatures in specific moments or Woodfall Primus to combo. On the other side, I think that it's very slow and vulnerable, because we will use this ability on the next turn. I guess that Natural Order , the Magus of the Order's sorcery version, should work better. I'm including this spell in the maybeboard.
7 months ago
Looks like a solid deck! It would require just a bit of finagling, but since you're already running so many permanents, Primal Surge could also be a "win condition" card, where you could potentially hit most if not all of your deck!
Another card to look into is Magus of the Order . It takes a bit to set up, but it would be another tutor for your combo in addition to pairing well with any of your persist creatures to get "golden bullet" creatures from the deck!
8 months ago
TIL that emojis aren't parsed properly by TappedOut even though they appear fine in the preview! Let's try again...
I've found this list really helpful whilst drafting decks over the last few years, thanks for putting it together! :) Judging by the 400,000 views that this has had I'm guessing I'm not the only person who feels that way :D
Since this list hasn't been updated since pre-WAR, I thought I'd put together a pretty comprehensive list of all tutors released since then (including all of the tutors mentioned in the comments above). Hopefully putting it in one place will make it easier to update! Note - as per the list you've curated, I've excluded any tutors that fetch specific cards (e.g. Yanling's Harbinger ) or basic lands. I've also left off the card types and colours since there's already enough text in the comment and it can be seen from the preview. Right - on with the list!
CARD: TUTOR FOR - ANY COMMENTS/SUGGESTED CATEGORIES
- Axgard Armory : Aura or Equipment - to hand
- Boggart Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Burning-Rune Demon : Anything - to hand, to graveyard
- Chandra, Heart of Fire : Instants/Sorceries - jump through hoops, to cast
- Coveted Prize : Anything - to hand, (jump through hoops) to cast
- Deathbellow War Cry : Creature - tutor by creature type, to battlefield
- Divining Witch : Anything - jump through hoops, to hand
- Dwarven Recruiter : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Elvish Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Elvish Reclaimer : Land - to battlefield
- Emergent Ultimatum : Anything - tutor by name, to cast
- Enigmatic Incarnation : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Fabled Passage : Land - to battlefield
- Faerie Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Fiend Artisan : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Finale of Devastation : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Garruk, Unleashed : Creature - jump through hoops, to battlefield
- Giant Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Golos, Tireless Pilgrim : Land - to battlefield
- Gravebreaker Lamia : Anything - to graveyard
- Guided Passage : Anything - jump through hoops
- Ignite the Beacon : Planeswalker - to hand
- Jester's Cap : Anything - to exile
- Kaho, Minamo Historian : Instant - jump through hoops, to exile
- Kithkin Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Magda, Brazen Outlaw : Artifact or Dragon - tutor by type, to battlefield, jump through hoops
- Magus of the Order : Creature - tutor by colour, to battlefield
- Merrow Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Mythos of Brokkos : Anything - jump through hoops, to graveyard, to hand
- Nahiri, the Harbinger : Artifact/Creature - jump through hoops, to battlefield
- Neoform : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Nylea's Intervention : Land, to hand
- Pyre of Heroes : Creature - jump through hoops, tutor by type and CMC, to battlefield
- Quest for the Holy Relic : Equipment - to battlefield, jump through hoops
- Reshape the Earth : Land - to battlefield
- Rootless Yew : Creature - tutor by POW or TOU, to hand
- Scheming Symmetry : Anything - to top of library
- Shared Summons : Creature - to hand
- The World Tree : Creature - tutor by creature type, to battlefield
- Treefolk Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Ulvenwald Hydra : Land - to battlefield
- Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire : Anything - to top of library
- Vivien, Monsters' Advocate : Creature - jump through hoops, tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Wishclaw Talisman : Anything - to hand
It wasn't entirely clear to me what categories the below cards should go under since they search for specific card subtypes:
- Opposition Agent : ??? (This sort of counts as a 'tutor your opponents decks' card!)
- Runed Crown : Rune - 'searches for tribal cards'?
- Runeforge Champion : Rune - 'searches for tribal cards'?
- Sanctum of All : Shrines - 'searches for tribal cards'?
- Search for Glory : Snow/legendary/saga - could go under a few sections?
- Spirit of the Aldergard : Land - 'searches for tribal cards'?
Seeing as the three creators of this list haven't been on TappedOut in at least 8 months I'm guessing that this comment won't go anywhere, but at least it's all in one place for people to search for later. I'm happy to help maintain and update this list if I'm given access. (If I haven't heard back in a couple of months then I might look at creating a copy of this list and linking it here for anyone looking for an up-to-date list of tutors.)
8 months ago
I've found this list really helpful whilst drafting decks over the last few years, thanks for putting it together!
9 months ago
Sorry for the very lengthy reply. I just got swept up in this.
I've only played two games so my experience overall isn't going to tell me enough about how certain cards perform in various situations or if they're not synergizing enough with your strategy. I'm guessing you're on a budget. If your playgroup allows proxies, or money isn't an issue. Gaea's Cradle is always a great option in a deck that generates lots of token creatures, and you're already running Crop Rotation . The budget option to cradle though is Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip. When I began my 2nd game playing this deck I was very concerned since one opponent was running Angus Mackenzie which usually just neuters this kind of strategy. I mean I lost that game for other reasons, but if it had dragged on I probably would need a lot of luck to have instant speed removal for Angus and enough power to alpha strike or I'd just lose to forever fog. That's certainly an edge case, but a tad more removal could be helpful to rid yourself of problematic creatures or other effects. Song of the Dryads and Kenrith's Transformation are a couple of great options. The only other creature that doesn't do something like fight that shot to the front of my mind to get around Angus was Questing Beast .
However, simply looking at the list and thinking about good options in general I would say the following cards should be considered for replacement:
- Colossal Majesty its a bit slow compared to other green card draw. Sylvan Library is probably the best replacement if money is no issue. Beast Whisperer is decent and you can tutor it. There are great one-time effects considering the swarm you usually have like Shamanic Revelation and Regal Force . Harmonize is always a solid option. Oakhame Adversary is usually getting through because of deathtouch and you can always leave him as a blocker. Depending on your meta Runic Armasaur can net you plenty of cards.
- Liege of the Tangle feels like you'd be better off with something that helps finish the game the turn it enters the battlefield for this much mana. Craterhoof Behemoth or something like that would be nice, but if you're content with the pump that you get from Kamahl then perhaps Bane of Progress would be nice to wipe the pesky artifacts and enchantments. God-Eternal Rhonas is another decent buff to finish with. Great Oak Guardian could potentially be a finisher with your ability to turn lands into creatures and Temur Sabertooth as a way to recast the treefolk again and again.
- Nylea, Keen-Eyed I feel like she is a decent card, especially since she is indestructible, but her activated ability is pretty costly for only digging 1 card. I would prefer Duskwatch Recruiter Flip for this kind of effect and if it flips it does the cost reduction. If you're after an indestructible creature here then Rhonas the Indomitable is great for the deathtouch as a blocker or threat, and his pump + trample effect. For other nice cost reducers there's Emerald Medallion and Rhonas's Monument .
- Curious Herd was a dead card for me in one of my games where I drew it. I ended up discarding it when I ended a turn at 8 cards in hand. I can see that it has potential in some matchups, but its is a bit meta dependent. Arachnogenesis would probably be an upgrade in many cases, but again meta dependant.
- Magus of the Order I was surprised when I saw this in my hand because I didn't realize it had been printed. 2020 was a blur. However, as it stands there were not a lot of great targets for this to go tutor into play. Avenger, Nyxbloom, of Baloths were the primary options to me since Leige needs to swing and connect in order to do something and wait a turn before the lands can attack giving opponents a chance to wipe your board (including 8/8 lands). Actual Natural Order would be preferable since it is less telegraphed, but still need better finisher, utility, value to tutor for. Craterhoof, Bane of Progress, or maybe something like Apex Devastator for all the silly cascades.
- Roiling Regrowth -> Harrow (generally won't get countered so the additional cost on cast of sacrificing a land is a minimal risk) or if you want a body Springbloom Druid .
- Bow of Nylea it certainly has its utility, but something like Ohran Frostfang may be better for the deathtouch buff and supplemental card draw.
Other cards to consider:
- Skyshroud Claim it doesn't have the option to cycle, but untapped lands can really help in situations where you've doubled or tripled your mana produced.
- Zendikar Resurgent is just a great card.
- Eternal Witness works great with Temur Sabertooth and is generally just a great card.
- Overwhelming Stampede just a nice alternative finisher to Kamahl incase he's too expensive to get back on the field.
- Kogla, the Titan Ape not a lot of humans in your current iteration to have his bounce ability be useful like Temur Sabertooth , but he's still another way to fight a problematic creature and he can remove an artifact/enchantment per attack.
- Champion of Lambholt with so many token creatures you can get this up to a point where your creatures are unblockable.
- Soul of the Harvest is another solid source of incremental card draw.
- Triumph of the Hordes is a nice surprise finisher, especially against someone with near-infinite life.
- Carpet of Flowers meta dependent, but excellent ramp.
- Elder Gargaroth beefy, and has useful options every attack.
- Bellowing Tanglewurm since Kamahl already can pump, this can help get your alpha strike in.
- Kamahl, Fist of Krosa can just be a fun deterrent to board wipes if you have enough mana available to turn your opponent's lands into creatures in response.
- Oracle of Mul Daya just amazing for landfall theme.
- Gaea's Touch is a budget friendly option to help put more lands into play per turn, but they need to be basic forests.
- Tireless Tracker a bit grindy, but nice way to spend mana when you have nothing better to do. Also the treasure token trigger Kodama of the East Tree to allow you to put another land into play.
Some combo suggestions:
- Quirion Ranger + Ashaya, Soul of the Wild to use the ranger's ability to return the ranger and untap any other creature that can tap for mana to recast the range and repeat for infinite cast triggers, creature ETB triggers for other permanents that care, and "landfall" triggers. Scryb Ranger can also work if your "lands" produce an additional green or if you have a way to give them haste like Lightning Greaves or Concordant Crossroads .
- Cloudstone Curio + Kodama of the East Tree to put a land into play, bounce another land, resolve Kodama trigger to put that land back into play and bounce the first land for as many additional lands you can play per turn. This becomes infinite if you have a permanent that generates any kind of token on landfall trigger.
1 year ago
Lotus seems like a huge upgrade, however at the same time Opposition Agent adds another very potent hoser to the format. Maybe Dawnglade Regent has a tiny chance of earning a slot. Getting Rootweaver Druid before untapping might be sweet, but at sorcery speed the card is so incredibly bad. Also opponents can just all refuse the effect, so probably it's completely unplayable. Kodama of the East Tree and Magus of the Order seem useful, but rather slow.
1 year ago
so are Sol Ring in the draft boosters? Someone in the comment section on Mythic Spoiler says "Look at the collector number. It's not in the main set/not in draft boosters". Sol Ring has collectors number 472 (not 472/xxx like other cards). And does this mean cards like Vampiric Tutor, Sphinx of the Second Sun, Magus of the Order, Muldrotha, the Gravetide and many others wont be in draft boosters?