(X), Tap: Draw a card. X is the number of cards in an opponent's hand as you play this ability.
Printings View all
|Mercadian Masques (MMQ)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Bargaining Table Discussion
2 years ago
I feel like you have an aggressive deck, but it comes out too late without any control to back it up.
You will struggle turns 1,2,3, and sometimes 4.
Turns 5,6,7 you will be doing alright, but if you had a bad 1,2,3,4 you will be playing catch up on 4,6,7.
Turn 8,9,10. You don't have anything to carry you except Raksha and Jedit.
I play tested about 7 or 8 times and only drew one piece of equipment
A strong addition, if you can more reliably acquire equipment, Kemba, Kha Regent
This deck would do better with faster lands. I found myself trapped for mana sometimes until turn five because of the double lands.
Now I say all this, but I'm rusty. I forget what five + player multiplayer games are like.
Drawing mechanics or fetching mechanics would help.
2 years ago
All of the following suggestions are purely pirate-themed, not actual usefulness.
Gamble Favorite pastime I hear
Reassembling Skeleton Pirates always have a few skeletons around
Expedition Map need to know where we're going
Jar of Eyeballs in case we lose one
3 years ago
So the deck looks pretty good! I can see a good theme of aggressive creature that also do other stuff, like anthem all your creatures, so it looks like this can beat down pretty hard pretty quickly.
You mentioned that you find yourself in topdeck mode pretty often, and I can see why. I usually aim for 10-14 cards that draw more cards, and I only see 2 here (Staff of Nin and Reforge the Soul.) A lot of people will say that Boros just can't draw spells, but those people are wrong. Now, Boros isn't the most efficient at drawing cards, but it's not out of their reach. Get ready for a wall of text, because here are all your options:
Pursuit of Knowledge, Sorcerer's Strongbox, Slate of Ancestry, Dreamstone Hedron, Magus of the Wheel, Knollspine Dragon, Commune with Lava, Wheel of Fortune, Wheel of Fate, Mentor of the Meek, Bygone Bishop, Stromkirk Occultist, Sin Prodder, Prophetic Flamespeaker, Outpost Siege, Chandra, Pyromaster, Chandra, Flamecaller, Well of Discovery, Urza's Blueprints, Tower of Fortunes, Thran Tome, Tamiyo's Journal, Sword of Fire and Ice, Skullclamp, Rogue's Gloves, Moonring Mirror, Mind's Eye, Mask of Memory, Loreseeker's Stone, Infiltration Lens, Illuminated Folio, Farsight Mask, Endbringer, Bottled Cloister, Bargaining Table, Book of Rass, and Angelheart Vial.
Of these, I'm going to suggest the following eight to bring your number up to ten (obviously Mind's Eye, Sword of Fire and Ice, Chandra, Flamecaller, and Wheel of Fortune are the absolute best, but they are all above $5, unlike the following cards):
- Mentor of the Meek
- Outpost Siege
- Chandra, Pyromaster
- Knollspine Dragon
- Magus of the Wheel
- Slate of Ancestry
- Mask of Memory
So what 8 cards to take out? Let's find out which are the least impact, and let's start from the highest cmc, because getting a lower curve is never bad.
- Captain of the Watch: This card is great in a soldier tribal, but too low impact in this deck, I think. With only 10 cards that get the boost from her, on average, it will only interact with 1-2 cards at a time.
- Lightmine Field: I can understand wanting some pillow fort, but there are plenty of options that don't affect your creatures too, and you are going wide, so this card hoses you pretty bad.
- Ajani Vengeant: His plus is very situational, and even though the other abilities are pretty good, him sometimes not doing anything until then is kind of a waste of a card here.
- Sword of Vengeance: I like having a lot of abilities to get the boost from cards like Concerted Effort, but I think this card is just too expensive for too little. None of the abilities are necessities in the deck to be on one creature.
- Skyknight Legionnaire: French vanillas are sometimes cool, but this one here is not worth 3 mana. There are better hasty creatures and better fliers for 3 mana, so I don't think its necessary to have them both on one creature since they don't really combo in any way.
- Lightning Talons: This pretty much has the flaws of both above cards, plus the fact that it's an aura means that it opens yourself to a 2-for-1.
- Godsend: This isn't really an equipment-themed deck, and there are better equipment for a deck going wide, like Sword of the Paruns. Overall, it's not a horrible card, but paying six mana to give a creature +3/+3 and exiling "deathtouch" doesn't seem that worth it here.
- Asha's Favor: Again with the keywords, and the auras, and the three mana!
So those are the 8 cards I would take out for the drawing cards.
If you are interested, here are some cards I think would definitely make this deck more resilient!
Secondly, there are a couple of super aggro cards for edh that I think you could take advantage of, although be wary because these can make you an early target if played too soon: Luminarch Ascension, Serra Ascendant, and Hero of Bladehold.
Lastly, every deck needs a couple of easy ways to pick off nasty creatures, so I would recommend using Swords to Plowshares, Path to Exile, and Darksteel Mutation (which turns off commanders!) as some pretty good spot removal cards.
Thanks, and good luck!
3 years ago
Insert copy/pasted lists for ya!
Azami, Lady of Scrolls
Bident of Thassa
Bringer of the Blue Dawn
Higure, the Still Wind
Honden of Seeing Winds
Jace, Memory Adept
Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Jace, Unraveler of Secrets
Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
Keeper of the Mind
Lu Su, Wu Advisor
Lu Xun, Scholar General
Sea Gate Loremaster
Soul of Ravnica
Teferi, Temporal Archmage
Thada Adel, Acquisitor
Thopter Spy Network
Trail of Evidence
Book of Rass
Mask of Memory
Scroll of Origins
Slate of Ancestry
Staff of Nin
Sword of Fire and Ice
Tapestry of the Ages
Tower of Fortunes
Well of Discovery
Well of Lost Dreams
And if you want burst draw, let me know. That's a whole another list