Enchantment — Aura
You control enchanted artifact.
Printings View all
|Eighth Edition (8ED)||Uncommon|
|Seventh Edition (7ED)||Uncommon|
|Fifth Edition (5ED)||Uncommon|
|Fourth Edition (4ED)||Uncommon|
|4th Edition Foreign Black Border (4EDFBB)||Uncommon|
|Revised Edition (3ED)||Uncommon|
|Revised Foreign Black Border (3EDFBB)||Uncommon|
|Unlimited Edition (2ED)||Uncommon|
|Collector's Edition (CED)||Uncommon|
|International Collector's Edition (CEI)||Uncommon|
|Limited Edition Beta (LEB)||Uncommon|
|Limited Edition Alpha (LEA)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Steal Artifact Discussion
3 days ago
Apart from my competitive brewing, I like to build decks with a theme of warping the game somehow for casual play. It helps me to keep it fun and not focus on optimal play.
One of my very first decks was colloquially known as "Everything dies everybody loses life", with Horobi, Death's Wail as the commander. I slammed every nasty piece of toxic board state I could find like Spreading Plague and Oppression, especially things resulting in loss of life. It won a decent amount of games due to hating out creatures pretty well.
I also enjoy a good Kami of the Crescent Moon deck. Give the whole board tons of card draw, and then stuff the deck with cards like Control Magic or Steal Artifact and not a single counterspell. I believe it is currently 0 wins for 12 losses, but I still have fun in pods with it and my friends have spoken highly of the deck.
I've seen a handful of other decks that eschew winning for reaching certain goal board states. Some people love Maze's End decks, and they're usually the same ones trying to hit an absurd Door to Nothingness. Having objectives for your deck is usually wise, and winning can be fun, but doing it with flair or wackiness is what really makes it all worthwhile. Always include a way to win, but feel free to make it your third or fourth goal in the game.
3 months ago
Thanks for following up so fast. Nice to see your thought process.
- For me the copy package is a great asset in this list. Stealing is not strictly better imo, as copying has way more versatility than stealing does. I have won several times casting a kicked Rite of Replication on something like Kokusho. And even just copying Gary once or twice can just get you the victory. This is why I run more expensive ETB creatures like the primordial, Noxious gearhulk and Rune-Scarred Demon , since I will rarely get their effect only once. Either recurring them or coping them can generate a lot of value.
- Bolas's Citadel has been great in this deck so far, as I can steal a lot of life quite reliably with all the copy and recursion stuff going on + Gary and Kokusho. I disagree it is only good with low cmc cards. Plus it turns into a Yawgmoth's Bargain with Top. However, I agree it is probably more fitting in other decks. Still, if I'd cut it I would then replace it with another draw spell, and not something from your list of tips :|.
- Trinket mage is here mainly as a second Top for the synergy with Citadel, but can also fetch artifact lands or sol ring, so doubles as ramp or a land. I would cut this together with Citadel if I would ever cut that card.
- I see your point regarding Steal Artifact vs Acquire . Will give that some consideration.
- I put in Personal tutor because I needed my vamp tutor for another deck :). I agree it is relatively slow and could easily be cut.
- Of course there will be scenario's possible where Steal Enchantment is the winning play, but that's quite meta-dependant. And it is still more narrow than for example Mirrormade . Again, I prefer options over efficiency in this build.
- You make me at least wanna try out memory plunder, so I will put that on my maybe list :).
- I'm not sure I want to take the deck in the direction of bigger mana rocks and more expensive spells. It could synergize well with the copy-artifacts cards, so I will also take that tip into consideration. It might be a fun direction to at least try, so I might do that :).
Thanks again for your time! Exchanging thoughts on steal decks always shows me how much cool thing are possible with this archetype. All the possibilities to prevent it from becoming stale!
3 months ago
Hey MagicalHacker. Thanks for taking the time and sharing some tips! I actually had a look at your deck in action as one of the sources for inspiration. Great stuff!
Before going over your suggestions, do you have any tips on what to cut :)? Would be nice to also hear your view on what cards you think I shouldn't run.
This is how I currently evaluate the cards you mentioned:
- Animate Dead , Necromancy & Reanimate : I like these cards, but I found the other graveyard recursion cards to be more appealing. I prioritized runing cards that can get me multiple creatures from the grave over one-shot effects. I might get Reanimate back in the list someday just because of the nostalgia factor.
- Aura Thief , Steal Artifact & Steal Enchantment : I don't like that these cards are narrow in application. I prefer to have card with a lot of options over more efficient ones in a control deck like this. Aura thief is really strong, but I am not running ways to get it to the grave reliably (like a sac outlet). That is why I ended u cutting it.
- Control Magic & Dream Leash : Great options if I get some more room for more steal effects. Dream leash is really strong. However, I prefer the other 5-drops I'm running atm, and I want to keep my curve nice and smooth.
- Geth, Lord of the Vault : love this card. However, I ended up cutting it for curve considerations.
- Grave Betrayal & Mind's Dilation : Both cards I like and have been in decks before. However, they are both do-nothing-enchantments for 7 mana. I like the 7-drops I ended up including better (and again, I want to keep a smooth curve).
- Memory Plunder : I don't like this card. It's mana cost is quite prohibitive with all the colored mana and only gets back 1 card. I like Spelltwine better. I might undervalue the fact that it's an instant, but with my playstyle I'm not expecting to hold up 4 mana with this deck.
- Mimic Vat : Fun card, but more at home in an arsticrats-style deck imo. It doesn't have additional synergy with what the deck is doing as I run very few ways to kill creatures.
- Agent of Treachery & Gilded Drake : I already run this duo in my Roon deck, where they are way more busted than in Silumgar. And I prefer to keep my decks distinct if possible.
- Mass Manipulation : Cool card and one I'd like to try out sometime :). Will see if I can acquire one.
- Commandeer : A card I would love to run, but quite pricey, and I haven't gotten around to acquire it yet.
- Pendant of Prosperity : A lovely trinket to steel back. I will give this card some thought :).
Again, thanks for checking out the deck!
GL & HF,
3 months ago
Comparing my Silumgar deck to yours, they are about half or more different (including lands), but I wanted to point out eighteen cards I think you should consider adding, nine of which are already on your maybeboard:
Animate Dead , Aura Thief , Control Magic , Geth, Lord of the Vault , Grave Betrayal , Memory Plunder , Mimic Vat , Mind's Dilation , and Steal Artifact should move into the mainboard from the maybeboard.
Agent of Treachery , Commandeer , Dream Leash , Gilded Drake , Mass Manipulation , Necromancy , Pendant of Prosperity , Reanimate , and Steal Enchantment should skip the maybeboard and go straight to the mainboard.
These are simply my suggestions! If you are unsure of if these cards are as good as I say they are, check out my deck at The Bloodhall Season 1 - Dragonlord Silumgar and you can see how the deck plays in videos in its description.
11 months ago
Well, mfogle, Teferi, Temporal Archmage is a tier 1 cEDH deck, and some argue to be the best, or tied for best deck in the format, next to tempo lists like Najeela, the Blade-Blossom combo, Captain Sisay stax-combo, and Kess, Dissident Mage consultation lists, to name a few.
It does this because it combos with The Chain Veil , a card that goes infinite with it, as well as the commander's synergy with Stasis / Static Orb / Winter Orb in a stax prison deck with combo plan-b.
Just taking that approach, Saheeli Rai combos with multiple cards, such as Liquimetal Coating + Altar of the Brood , is in great colors for an artifact list, and helps in getting to the combo, with scry (not much, but not little), while being incredibly cheap to cast.
Then there is Tezzeret the Seeker , which both fetches The Chain Veil , and having combos with it. It also has a combo with a Rings of Brighthearth , Goblin Cannon , and Basalt Monolith setup if you need me to explain that one.
Outside of that, Teferi, Hero of Dominaria makes an incredible stax-control build abusing the untap effect with Stasis , Winter Orb , and Static Orb , while drawing you extra cards, mostly removal and countermagic to protect it after it hits. Untapping two blue sources holding up a Counterspell would be incredible alone, but with the stax synergy and card draw it just makes it really easy to break.
For pure value commanders that would pub-stomp LGS's if a player just wants to spend the money, there would then be Jace, the Mindsculptor. That sounds fun, doesn't it! Mono-blue control always is the pinnacle of EDH fun.
Even from the new set, there are incredible busted walkers. Ashiok, Dream Render allows you to shut off tutors and graveyards with relative ease. It is so good at stopping combo decks, and yet because it doesn't affect the user, it will just be run in a combo deck, blue/black has a plethora. Honestly if this was legal in cEDH, I'd imagine it tier 1.5.
Ral, Storm Conduit makes a great storm EDH commander, possibly better than some alternatives. Cards like Doublecast , Fork , Twincast , etc. all can be copied infinitely targetting each other, which allows Ral to go infinite damage. It is a sweet combo deck, another very competitive walker.
Teferi, Time Raveler could actually see very competitive play, like the original Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir was occasionally thought to with Knowledge Pool , really with the addition of minor removal/draw, some worse flash enabling IMO, and white added into the color identity, and a cheaper cost. This means Enlightened Tutor , cards like Rule of Law or other stax, etc. can combo.
So mfogle, do you really think a tier 2 deck like Prossh, Skyraider of Kher , some tier 4 deck like Edgar Markov , tier 3 Muldrotha, the Gravetide , or tier 2.5 Niv-Mizzet, Parun or Narset, Enlightened Master are so much better than any walker throughout Magic History?
1 year ago
Please note that this isn't a strategy that I'm overly familiar with so these may not be the best options.
2 years ago
Thank you for the suggestions, Sjorpha!
I have all the cards listed in Common. Ones that appear to be not pauper legal are from older sets where their rarity is common.
2 years ago
So, not sure how competitive you're trying to be here, but some of these cards are just not good. For example Skittering Horror and Sivitri Scarzam, it's much better to simply play full playsets of the infect creatures.
Also the deck seems to not be pauper legal, so if you're looking to play in pauper events or pauper queue online you'll need to fix that. Otherwise probably change the format to "casual".