|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Oath of the Gatewatch (OGW)||Mythic Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Planeswalker — Chandra
+1: Put two 3/1 red Elemental creature tokens with haste onto the battlefield. Exile them at the beginning of the next end step.
0: Discard all the cards in your hand, then draw that many cards plus one.
-X: Chandra, Flamecaller deals X damage to each creature.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (26)||Ferritt , Mousemke , clayperce , JeremyTheMiner , Vasbear1 , gildan_bladeborn , gosora , Spinalripper , Zhorus_The_Bauqret , Wiggins , MoJoMiXuP , meowCat1234 , sonnet666 , MattN7498 , DudeMan1031 , mziter501 , lava_lava , Roadhog , geazykagar , Ellyreia , Kravian , zachi , Dawnsly , Auriel , TehDelta , thetechzombie|
|Want (3)||gamerhat , Candyman949 , KB2187|
Chandra, Flamecaller Discussion
5 days ago
I've been toying around with a Dragon Control list myself. What I've been thinking of is:
4x Anger of the Gods
3x Blood Moon
4x Lightning Bolt
2x Planeswalkers (likely Chandra, Flamecaller and/or Garruk Wildspeaker)
4x Search for Tomorrow
4x Utopia Sprawl
Other Spells (25)
The idea is to just sit on removal, toss out ramp spells, then curve into large dragon after large dragon. If you add blue in your list, I'd prioritize Serum Visions, Sarkhan Unbroken, and Silumgar's Scorn. Courser of Kruphix is also a good option, and you have those in your list.
If you're not going to use Anger of the Gods and Pyroclasm maindeck, I'd strongly recommend Birds of Paradise over the other mana dorks in your list. Even then, I'd play Search for Tomorrow alongside it. That way, you set yourself up for consistent turn 3 dragons into more dragons on turn 4.
2 weeks ago
Any particular reason you're not running Mesmeric Orb? I'd think a deck focused on getting creatures into the yard would sooner use this than a lot of the crappier draw / discard cards you currently have.
And why no Combat Celebrant? It goes infinite with Feldon by itself (and also with Kiki).
And I hate to point it out, but Humble Defector is really really bad here. You can't sacrifice something you don't control, so if you hand this off to an opponent they'll get to keep it. Blegh... (The same is true for Starke of Rath, btw.)
I also agree with the other posters that a lot of the card parity cantrips you're using are dubious at best. Magmatic Insight is one of the worst offenders imo, as you're never really going to want to discard a land.
Some of the others that seem less than playable to me:
- Burning Inquiry, -1 Card Advantage, Random
- Collective Defiance, -1 Card Advantage, The other modes are meh.
- Shattered Perception, -1 Card Advantage,
- Dangerous Wager, is almost never CA
- Fateful Showdown, -1 Card Advantage, high mana cost, extra effect isn't worth it.
Here are some discard outlets to consider in their place:
- Sneak Attack, The best discard outlet that isn't even a discard outlet. Just lets you dump creatures out of your hand, and you don't care that they die because Feldon.
- Mask of Memory, Continuous CA, Low investment
- Memory Jar, Costs as much as a Reforge the Soul but can be recurred and generally leaves your opponents feeling worse than you.
- Chandra Ablaze / Chandra, Flamecaller, These two are a maybe. Continuous wheeling is nice, but 6 mana is kinda hefty.
Some other suggested edits:
- Cut Treasure Map, It does nothing.
- Cut Past in Flames, I'm really not a fan of this in a deck that doesn't run rituals, too mana intensive.
- Cut Purphoros, God of the Forge, I see the point of Fanatic of Mogis, but unlike him, Purph really is win-more. You're not dropping enough creatures to kill anyone with him, so outside of the Worldgorger combo he's completely useless.
- Swap Swiftfoot Boots for Lightning Greaves, Like, really?
- Swap Forgotten Cave for a Mountain, Less lands coming in tapped the better.
- Swap Ghost Quarter for Strip Mine
- Swap Urabrask the Hidden for Magus of the Moon, At 5 mana, you don't need the haste. You might as well have a better stax effect.
- Hellkite Tyrant, Landing a hit will put you way ahead.
- Balefire Dragon,
- Hoarding Dragon, Feldon's ability makes this less slow and risky. Is still a little slow and risky.
- Apocalypse & Jokulhaups, These with Feldon bringing back Worldgorger in response are just as good as a double activation.
2 weeks ago
I don't have a ton of experience with Eldritch Ponza (21 matches so far, with a variety of builds) yet, but with all the usual caveats, here are a few thoughts:
- Evolving for a Magus of the Moon is AMAZING, and probably the best thing about the sub-archetype. Evolving a Kitchen Finks for a Finks-with-Persist, a Huntmaster, a Wolf Token, and 4 life is a couple of blockers is a close second. Colossus and Stormbreath for Protection from-whatever were superb too.
- I really hate playing Eldritch Ponza vs. counterspell-heavy Control though. Sac'ing a Creature and opp countering Eldritch Evolution is by far the worst thing about the sub-archetype. It's also rough vs. removal-heavy Control. Top-decking an Evolution with an empty board is a close second-worst.
- I've tried builds with 2x and 3x Evolutions, and I'm not sure which I like better. I think 3x in the 75 is correct, but it rots to have one in hand and no small Creatures available ...
- I didn't get enough games in to be sure, but I think I like Eldritch Ponza with an extra Birds of Paradise or maybe a Sylvan Caryatid. The extra ramp is great early, and it's an easy sac' late.
- Eidolon of the Great Revel is intriguing. If UR Storm pilots run counterspell-light at the Pro tour, it could be amazing. But at their current levels I think I'd rather have another Trin' ... getting a Trin' bounced to hand with a Remand or yard with a Swan Song feels better than sac'ing a Dork and having Evolution countered. :-\
- Looking at your maybeboard: I tried Carnage Tyrant in a different build and every time it was in my hand I wished it was a Thrun instead. I found Furystoke Giant to be lame except vs. Lantern Control, where it's absolutely amazing. Though Acidic Slime (to kill Ensnaring Bridge) might be better. In a world with Path to Exile, I'm not a fan of Wurmcoil Engine ... at least with Titan we get to Bolt something before getting Pathed. In a world with way too much Path though, Chandra, Flamecaller is excellent ... I will periodically use here vs. Titan when it seems like White decks are everywhere. Finally: Reclamation Sage, maybe?
As always, draw well!
1 month ago
1 month ago
Thanks for the quick comment! The description for the deck is actually really old, I should probably change it. I've experimented with a few different finishers, the first being Chandra, Flamecaller who was fun and interesting, but wasn't quite enough for me. It didn't feel right.
I was going to change to Chandra, Torch of Defiance afterwards but that was as she spiked in price, so that never happened. I might borrow two from a friend and try her out though, see how she feels in the shell.
Then I tried Torrential Gearhulk which has been by far the best actually finisher of the three (as stated in the updates section, I also tried Fall of the Titans but it was just simply too cute and inconsistent). Even into Grixis variants of control, delver and shadow he's been the best finisher I've found. The one thing I was worried about with Gearhulk was his artifact type... Kolaghan's Command is a thing, in fact, a very popular thing. However, the deck is too resilient to be hosed by K. Command, so I'm currently happy where I'm at.
One of my last options that I'm thinking about is The Locust God. Draw cards, make dudes, draw more cards, can't be "killed" traditionally... seems like a good deal! I'd love to hear your opinion on The Locust God since you know how Blue Moon lists work.
I know you recommended Emrakul, the Aeons Torn and he makes sense, but I've never liked that variant. I might try Madcap Experiment out, but that can be hosed by K. Command also, so I'd run into the same problem as the Gearhulk variant that I'm extremely comfortable with.
1 month ago
You should definitely cut down on lands. You're in Boros so your ability to draw gas is limited. You also have plenty of rocks. Most decks should run 37-39 lands , but with yours I would consider going as low as 36.
I also would cut Humble Defector, Temple Bell, Artisan of Kozilek, Vance's Blasting Cannons Flip, Sunbird's Invocation and Fate Forgotten. Among the replacements I would suggest are Thran Dynamo, Dictate of Heliod, Wear / Tear, Commander's Sphere, Volcanic Offering, Boros Charm, Chandra, Flamecaller, Sunforger, and Caged Sun. And DEFINITELY add Skullclamp, which might become the strongest card in your deck.
Hope you find this helpful!
2 months ago
It depends on how often you have cards in your hand. Avaricious Dragon gives you an extra card, but you need to discard your hand at end of turn. Chandra, Flamecaller's '0' ability makes you discard your hand, but you draw that many cards plus one, and Bedlam Reveler makes you discard your hand, but you draw 3. Combustible Gearhulk can let you draw cards, particularly if you play good politics.
Farsight Mask is another possibility. Lets you draw whenever an opponent damages you.
@ on God of Goats
2 months ago
Anaba Ancestor seems really bad- it doesnt get any real benefit from your commander because you have to not attack with it to maintain its ability, or its just a 2 mana 1/1. Plus, on board +1/+1 just is not a very powerful effect, even if repeatable.
Similarly, Flurry of Horns seems underwhelming. You have to get up to 5 mana, and then you get two vanilla 2/3s. This is the top end of your curve, and still does very little for you. Anything that is five or more mana should be really powerful. Thus, the cards that I feel are too expensive for their effect are: Flurry of Horns, Master of Cruelties, Warchanter of Mogis, Behold the Beyond (what three cards would you tutor for after spending 7 mana? There really isnt any way to use this to help you win- it can be a lot of value, sure, but youre probably off with either straight up draw or cheaper tutors to get your draw), Minotaur Aggressor, and then replace Plague Wind with In Garruk's Wake, at least. It is almost strictly better.
This deck seems like it could make use of a Whip of Erebos, if only for the life gain. You have a lot of pain effects, and Whip of Erebos is a very powerful artifact with both utility and circumstantial advantage.
A lot of your card draw comes from one time sorceries or Costly Plunder. It feels like this deck could use some more repeatable card draw, like Greed or Erebos, God of the Dead, or even some of the red psuedo draw like Outpost Siege and Chandra, Torch of Defiance. You may also want Phyrexian Arena, but you dont get to choose whether to draw that card. Other good cards for card advantage: Commune with Lava, Oracle's Vault, Stromkirk Occultist, Chandra, Flamecaller (wheel), vance's blasting cannons , Arguel's Blood Fast, Conqueror's Galleon, Ob Nixilis Reignited, Tamiyo's Journal, and The Scorpion God.
Ok I g2g, but looks good! looking forward to playing this!