|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masters Edition IV (ME4)||Uncommon|
|The Dark (DRK)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Book of Rass
, Pay 2 life: Draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Book of Rass Discussion
2 weeks ago
Here might be some good cheap removal and 'card draw'
Hope that helps!
1 month ago
Given the higher-than-average MSRP of this set, how much shall the reprints in it affect the prices of the cards? Surely, they shall decrease at least somewhat?
Another card that I would like to see reprinted is Book of Rass, since that card has not been reprinted in a long time, and it is a very useful card, as it is essentially a colorless version of Greed.
5 months ago
It may not look like it, but the best card draw for FS&SS is Book of Rass. An expendable life total, combined with multiple uses per turn, and Boros needing as much draw as possible, this card is great. Moo.
5 months ago
So here a some suggestions for you
Mana fixing/Ramp: I know you mentioned not to hate on the manabase (and who could scoff at that lovely land distribution ;) ), but here are some cards (regardless of you lands) that I think would help your deck run smoothly: Boros Signet, Land Tax, Commander's Sphere, and Coalition Relic. A land that I think you should really consider since you will rely heavily on your commander is Command Beacon.
Some of these other suggestions appear to already be in your maybeboard, but I am going to mention them anyways because of how powerful I think they are.
I think you deck could use a lot more card draw as you will likely be burning through you hand fast (no pun intended). Cards like Mind's Eye, Book of Rass, Staff of Nin and maybe some wheel effects like Reforge the Soul or Wheel of Fate. Also, a card like Past in Flames might allow you to get more mileage out of your spells.
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight seems like an auto include here.
I hope some of those suggestions are helpful. Good luck deck building! +1 from me.
5 months ago
Inner Fire is a nice combo with Knollspine - good call!
I recommend Book of Rass...it wins games (seriously!)
6 months ago
Nice! I play pretty casually and play almost exclusively Boros colors, so here's my take:
- 1) 3.5. Skullclamp is really good in just about any token, sac or equipment deck.
- 2) 4. The only thing holding this back is the price.
- 3) 3. Not bad. The fact that you have to pay every time is annoying. Not quite as good as number 1.
- 4) 2.5. Not a huge fan. This basically eats up half your mana base and makes you the target of Strip Mines.
- 5) 2.5. Mask of Memory is pretty decent. Middle of the road.
- 6) 3. Solid. I like it.
- 7) 3. Good plan, Lifegain to mitigate paying life. Best with Necropotence.
- 8) 2. Still helps opponents, and normally discard outlets are useless without the deck being built around them.
- 9) 2. Tower of Fortunes is not really good if you don't have insane ramp. Better options out there.
- 10) 3.5. Nice!
- 11) 1. Just play Phyrexian Arena. Use Strionic Resonator for bigger trigger effects.
- 12) 2. Well of Lost Dreams is actually pretty good, but there are better lifegain effects than Peace of Mind. I like Inventors' Fair.
- 13) 2.5. You have to be pretty desperate to use this but it seems like it'd be okay sometimes.
- 14) 3.5. Tribal is always powerful.
- 15) 2.5. It's okay, kinda easy to interupt.
- 16) 3.5. I love Infiltration Lens!
- 17) 1. Little too janky and helps opponents.
- 18) 4. Because Slate of Ancestry is so good.
- 19) 1. I feel like there are better ways to repeat wheels. This one costs too much.
- 20) 5. My all time personal favorite. Humble Defector is good alone and my top two-drop in all my Boros/red decks.
So again, from a strictly Boros perspective, those are my thoughts. I'm sure you can see the biases and the ones I've actually tested haha!
Others to consider:
- Prophetic Flamespeaker + Sword of Fire and Ice
- Knollspine Dragon + Damage
- Commune with Lava + Neheb, the Eternal//other ramp
- Loreseeker's Stone + lots of mana
- Grenzo, Havoc Raiser + lots of tokens
- Book of Rass + Lifegain if you're not in black/no necropotence
- Commander's Sphere + Sun Titan
- The Immortal Sun... alone
- Azor's Gateway Flip + Untap effects//filter effects
Hope some of this helps. This will be a good resource!
7 months ago
Honestly it will be a little hard. Each color has its staples that they do and that is really Blacks thing. Only thing I can offer is to look into artifacts that would do what you would like. Book of Rass
7 months ago
Treasonous Ogre is some of the best ramp a life gain deck can have, it will cover all your generic and red costs.
Book of Rass will provide card draw, goes great with the ogre and a really high life total for drawing more than you will ever need.
Well of Lost Dreams more cards!
I'm sure there are more things that give an effect for spending or having a high life total. Try scryfall's advanced search looking for things that include "pay" "life" scryfall allows you to only include things that match the commander's color identity.