|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masters Edition IV (ME4)||Uncommon|
|The Dark (DRK)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Book of Rass
, Pay 2 life: Draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Book of Rass Discussion
2 days ago
multimedia no worries! Thank you so so much for the help!
I checked out your elf deck, awesome coding! And is that Quenya from Lord of the Rings I see? Respect!
I was wondering if you'd be okay if I posted your comments and my following response on my deck page; I like to have everything in one place and the comments don't delete there as they do on the wall. let me know!
Now, to respond to all the suggestions! Again thank you for the advice!
First off I'd like to mention that I'm not a huge fan of most X-spells, and I wanted to stray away from them somewhat because I know that's what many people are going to to with F&S. I understand the value of X-spells with F&S is huge here, but they kinda need a ton of mana pumped into them, and I don't think Boros can consistently do that. In situations where I can't get Neheb, the Eternal to stick they become less effective, even if X = 10 and I gain 100+ life, it doesn't seem worth it to me because now I've just pissed off the other 3-5 players and will probably be crippled by the clapback. Second, I'm trying to focus on Sunforger and my combos a lot more, as I think that is what will make my deck stand out when all is said and done. So Combo/sunforger first, value/x-spells second. I don't want to strip stuff away from my Sunforger for more X-spells because I feel like I'll want Sunforger goodness more. So there's some thoughts that will hopefully explain my choices and why I will or won't take some of your suggestion :)
- Doubling Cube: I think you over value this somewhat. To make it produce 4 or more mana(making it better than just any mana rock), I already need 10 mana out. So that's a while before I feel it really benifits me. I'll test it though!
Earthquake, Rolling Earthquake: I think I covered these well enough. Again I want to emphasize that I just don't want them personally, and I know that X-spells are a great way to go with this commander. Will definitely keep them in the back of my head :)
Breath of Darigaaz, Hour of Devastation, Price of Progress, Acidic Soil: these are all great damage options, and I'll be testing them out along with all the ones I got in there now, like Flame Rift, Flamebreak, Fiery Confluence, etc. Time will tell which ones are the best.
Gamble: I'm gonna be straight up with you, I hate Gamble. I've used it and It's awful.
- Faithless Looting, Tormenting Voice, Wild Guess: All good draw options. I'll consider!
- Survival Cache: I really like this one, but the fact that it can't be Sunforged was holding it back over options like Ritual of Rejuvenation and Reviving Dose. Yeah I see the rebound but that's just my philosophy getting in the way of good cards lol.
Winds of Change: I don't consider this card draw, but rather card selection. I find wheels usually help my opponents more anyway.
Mark of Asylum: Yeah this is a good one that I should find room for.
- Furnace of Rath: Out due to aggro meta :(
Hopefully all that makes some sense.
Again I definitely see the reasoning for all of the suggestions. Just not the direction I want to go :)
- Expedition Map needed to grab Inventors' Fair and Mistveil Plains.
- Book of Rass mid/late game draw that's a good mana sink more Neheb and a huge lifegain payoff. Also part of my beloved janky combo :)
- Basilisk Collar figured I'd be nice to snipe some big creatures, but I suppose if I'm dealing enough damage in the first place that's not needed. Probable cut.
- Swiftfoot Boots I kinda need the protection. there won't be many creatures out wth me wiping the coard so much so my creatures will be big targets.
- Strionic Resonator Can probably be cut, your right.
Painter's Servant I want my janky value! :D
- Thalia's Lancers gets Neheb or Gisela
- Stonehewer Giant gets sunforger, can also be a sweet combat trick with enough mana; two to find sunforger and two more to use sunforger to cast a life saving spell. Still, he costs a lot so maybe he'll be cut.
- Brass Squire probably cut, but is really good with sunforger.
- Imperial Recruiter gets Treasonous Ogre, Weathered Wayfarer and Painter's Servant
- Weathered Wayfarer gets Inventors' Fair and Mistveil Plains. not sure if you've ever played Boros but this kind of stuff is necessary, trust me.
- Fire Servant probable cut. I agree.
Generator Servant But he's so goooood. Turn 4 hasty F&S. Total pet card.
Teferi's Protection - essential part of my sunforger package. Way too good to now use.
- Tithe - can get Mistveil Plains and helps me hit those land drops. This is usually the first Sunforger target just to get the M-Plains.
- Open the Armory gets sunforger. I need all the consistency I can get.
Again thank you so so so much for the advice! Let me know if I can post it on the deck.
I don't want you to think I don't appreciate all the help and suggestions, I really do! It's just that this time around I have a different vision for my deck that a lot of these can't fit into. Thanks again friend!
6 days ago
Yashiry thanks for the upvote and comment! I was looking at that one but wasn't sure if I liked just infinite life, but then I realized I have Treasonous Ogre and I could add Book of Rass in here for another sweet combo! I'll have to restructure some things but I like it! Thanks! This gives me more to do with Imperial Recruiter also, solidifying his inclusion.
So much work yet to be done! Keep the comments coming!
2 weeks ago
Yeah, it's fine. The whole "paying life to draw cards is broken" concept doesn't apply here because the amount of life you have to pay makes the card a lot worse than Necropotence or Yawgmoth's Bargain. Makes it a lot closer to the card you wanted; a combination of Greed and Book of Rass.
2 weeks ago
Book of Rass is an interesting and obscure older card that is noteworthy for being a colorless version of Greed, but is not nearly as well-known as the other card, so I was disappointed that there was not a combination of them in New Phyrexia.
Phyrexian Grimoire Show
: draw a card.
Greed costs 4 mana to cast, while book of Rass costs 6, so this card costs 5, as a compromise.
What does everyone think of this card? Is it a fair and balanced card?
2 weeks ago
Now that the entire set has been revealed, I suppose that it was inevitable that not every card would be amazing, that there would be some mediocre cards, but I am overall very pleased with this set. I will not be purchasing any booster packs or booster boxes, but I will certainly purchase singles.
4 months ago
Glad you could extract something useful from my questionable ramblings, have some more:
For the purpose of ramp, would you consider Mana Echoes? Now hold on, I know this isn't a tribal deck, but from what I can see there's a decent amount of overlap when it comes to the subtypes of the large quantities of creatures your cards can generate, either for yourself or others (it works in either case):
- Human: 8 creature cards
- Scout: 4 creature cards
- Cleric: 3 creature cards
- Cat, Shaman: 2 creature cards
Spider, Samurai, Angel, Troll, God, Advisor, Monk, Golem, Giant, Rogue (10): 1 creature card
Elf, Warrior: 5 creature card + tokens: on tap + X on 2 cards
- Insect: 3 creature card + tokens: active mana ability + damage provocation + on opponent casting + EoB
- Dragon: 2 + tokens on all upkeeps
- Spirit: 2 creature card + tokens: 1 land tapping + 1 card
- Goblin: 1 creature card + tokens on opponent step
- Ogre: 1 creature card + X tokens on hostile declared attacks
Beast, Knight: 1 creature card + token on 1 card (doubt you ever use Selesnya Charm for this purpose though)
Soldier: tokens: on upkeep + X on 1 card
- Elemental: tokens: on all upkeeps + X on 1 card
- Saproling: X tokens on 2 spells (maybe there's room for a minor Saproling subtheme somewhere by virtue of Psychotrope Thallid & Utopia Mycon?)
- Treefolk: tokens on 1 card
- Fairy: enemy tokens on 1 card (only works with changeling)
(Also Rhys' cloning, which is potentially massive even if it only works for your own tokens.)
Obviously the exact amount of mana you'll get will probably vary a lot between both different turns and games, but I think on average it will be pretty high. (If you do decide to get Mana Echoes, also switch Beast Within for Crib Swap. Less arms dealing but much more ramp. If you want to amplify ETBs I guess you could also include a championing changeling creature.) The fact that you'll get some extra mana during other people's phases might be a little awkward though, but you could maybe use some combination of Symbiotic Deployment, Carnage Altar, Slate of Ancestry, Book of Rass, (Mind's Eye) and Inheritance as card advantage mana sinks (in that category there's also Seer's Sundial, Mangara's Tome and your old friend Mentor of the Meek, although I don't think they're very reliable on turns other than your own). (On a related note, I assume you've already looked into Pursuit of Knowledge, Abundance and Sylvan Library?)
Finally, mandatory killjoy condescension: This might be a silly question, but is Mystic Barrier still giving you a net positive of enjoyment? The reason I'm asking is that while I can see why the card is fun from a broad perspective, it seems to me that it conflicts with the two main aspects of the deck, which I think would make things less fun since it limits the escalating purpose of the deck. (Man, do I sounds square right now.) First of all, one person is forced to attack only you, which conflicts with the pillow fort cards' point of encouraging the opponent to go for someone else, which also kinda means any tokens they've been given go to waste for the purpose inter-enemy damage. Second, escalating curses like Curse of Opulence become less powerful when they can't pain a target on someone, which both detracts from the previously mentioned inter-enemy damage, the relative deterrence of your pillow fort (why attack someone with Ghostly Prison if you can get Gold from a cursed player?) and your own ability to broadly benefit from such general chaos both directly and indirectly. I'm well aware the deck is more about entertainment than winning all day every day, so it's not irrational to keep the card if it's doing you more good than harm, but I think it's worth considering. (Also, since you've got Academy Rector you could potentially replace the Barrier with a single overcosted but powerful & fun enchantment that works in line with the deck, like Sandwurm Convergence, Zendikar Resurgent, Lurking Predators or even Vicious Shadows.)
That's all, hope reading that didn't take too much of your time and you'll be able to squeeze something good out of it, keep up the good work
1 year ago
You beat me to it. As soon as I saw this little guy I wanted to make another landless EDH deck but I see I was far too late. Although, there are a few things I'd change...
1 year ago
I think there are enough books in magic to not need to resort to scrolls too. Some that could replace the scrolls: Otherworld Atlas, Book of Rass, Thran Tome, Scour the Laboratory, Insidious Dreams, Metalworker, Anarchist, Oath of Lim-Dul, Personal Tutor, and Twisted Justice.