Destroy target artifact or land. It can't be regenerated.
Printings View all
|Modern Horizons (MH1)||Uncommon|
|Masters 25 (A25)||Common|
|Premium Deck Series: Fire and Lightning (PFL)||Uncommon|
|Masters Edition II (ME2)||Uncommon|
|Deckmasters: Garfield vs. Finkel (DKM)||Uncommon|
|Seventh Edition (7ED)||Uncommon|
|Classic Sixth Edition (6ED)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Pillage occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
1 day ago
great deck. why not use Stone Rain ? it beats Pillage in casting cost every time, and lends to an easier T2 land destruction. Overall, I really enjoyed this deck, and am a huge fan of Ponza builds in general. Great work. +1
2 months ago
Welcome back to Magic, and especially back to Ponza!
A few thoughts:
- Pillage is legal now, and is a solid swap for Stone Rain (if you don't mind the slightly more difficult cost ... 1RR on T2 is ~4% less likely that 2R), especially considering all the Artifact decks in the competitive meta now.
- Speaking of Artifact decks, I would recommend at least 3x Ancient Grudge and/or Abrade in the side (in addition to Pillage in the main). Meta-call of course, but there seem to be MANY more targets now. I'd personally skimp on Grafdigger's Cage to make room. Dredge and Neoform are still threats, but nowhere near as dominant in most metas.
- Oko, Thief of Crowns is a real problem in many metas, and the deck may need some ways to deal with it. Veil of Summer , Beast Within , and more Hasty Creatures are all good options.
You may want to post the deck for comments on r/PonzaMTG, over on Reddit. We're a friendly community (IMO, anyways) , and always happy to comment on decks!
Good luck (and good skill) with the deck!
2 months ago
Yo! Former Ponza player here. I know there aren't many of us on Tappedout (and the internet period) so I'll try to be of assistance.
I don't know if you look at any newer lists but a lot of them are running Karn, the Great Creator along with Mycosynth Lattice /an artifact package in the sideboard. To my knowledge it gives the deck a lot of flexibility it didn't already have before and might be an answer to some of your sideboard questions.
Here's a list if you're interested in what I'm talking about: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-gruul-karn#paper
In my opinion, you need some number of Abrade in the main. You'd be surprised how many Modern decks these days run artifacts, and the ones that don't usually have creatures that can be sniped down with it. Speaking of artifacts, Pillage was recently printed in Modern Horizons, so you could probably replace Bramblecrush and maybe 1 Boom / Bust with those. I remember hearing all the Ponza guys raving about it when it was printed, so it's got to be good, right?
2 months ago
So, I'm looking to build a 5 color land hate deck with Ramos, Dragon Engine . I'm looking for prison cards like Norn's Annex and Propaganda . Any land theft or land destruction cards like Pillage ; both aimed at my opponents, and if possible maybe some landfall triggers for me.
The guys and gals at my LGS are kind of competitive for no reason, and I dont really have a deck to keep up with all of their infinte combos. So I'm just looking for a good solid land destruction deck to slow them down for me to secure a win.
2 months ago
This looks like a VERY solid start, tbh. I have just a few thoughts for your consideration ...
- This is really the only area where I'd change the deck for sure, because Cinder Glade and Rootbound Crag are actually quite bad for the deck. A key plan in Ponza is being able cast Ramp on T1, so we can cast a 3-drop (Moon or a Rain effect) on T2 ... and any land that enters tapped on T1 goes directly against that plan.
- As-is, your deck has a 52% chance of generating 2R for T2 and a 46% chance of 1RR (on the play, ignoring mulligans and opponent interaction).
- The "optimal" manabase is probably 7x Forest, 1x Mountain, 12x Fetchlands/Stomping Grounds, and 1x Kessig Wolf-Run, for a 60% chance of 2R and a 56% chance of 1RR on T2 (source: the top-performing Ponza deck ever). The extra Fetches are not just about mana-fixing ... they also give us extra Clues, "reset" the deck after we Cascade needed cards to the bottom of our Library, and allow us to manipulate our draws/Chandra exiles if we have Courser out.
- That said, I totally get it if budget doesn't allow you to run extra Fetches. Seriously though, just swapping the taplands for 2x Basic Forest and 2x Basic Mountain is much better: It would raise your percentages to 58% (1R) and 50% (1RR).
- Here's a write-up I did a while back, with a link to a Ponza mana simulator, if you want to play with the numbers yourself (e.g., you might be able to trim to 21 Lands without a huge impact).
Thoughts on some specific cards:
- I like Pillage over Molten Rain , since there are just sooooo many Artifact decks in the format now.
- I know the ramp is great from Mwonvuli Acid-Moss , but you might consider swapping them for 3-drop LD effects. Partly to give you more T2 options, but mostly because I'd personally rather Cascade into a 3-drop LD spell than Cascade past an Acid-Moss.
- Speaking of 3-drops, whenever I run Pia and Kiran Nalaar , I try to find room for 1x Nissa, Voice of Zendikar . Some people hate her, but I really like her ... she can chump-block all day and her +1/+1 counters are great on both Birds and Thopters. Plus "resetting" a Kitchen Finks -with-Persist feels amazing.
Good luck (and good skill) with the deck!
3 months ago
I have been AFK testing this new variant of Mardu Pyromancer and I think I have the ratios and inclusions that bring back that old familiar feeling of Mardu Pyromancer! I want to address some of the previous comments that I have now archived. Everything here on is brand spanking new!
JacenSolo29 I want to address some of the suggestions you made. As you can see, I actually did include one of them, so thank you for the suggestion! Kaya's Guile is a magnificent midrange/control inclusion that just fits perfectly in the sideboard against grave decks (few and far between, but still existent) and against burn for the life gain, edict/sacrifice effect, and chump blocking token. I usually bring it in in place of Kolaghan's Command or Bedlam Reveler for extra sustain. Honestly, a perfect inclusion for Mardu Pyromancer that just screams: "I do Orzhov things"! As for Monastery Mentor , it is always on my radar. I want it to work, but it just seems like an extra Young Pyromancer and always feels a turn late. I want to keep working on it, but it just doesn't fit, especially with being a splash color in the overall theme of the deck, it needs more testing.
YamishiTheWickedOne I want to try to address all your previous comments, that are under the first "update" tab. First, Seasoned Pyromancer is straight GAS. Literally, the nuts and the perfect breath of life that the deck needed to remain competitive. It's so good, that I've even seen it in Jund and Grixis Control decks as a sideboard option for card draw. Honestly, we need the full 4 copies and I would never EVER side out any of them!
YamishiTheWickedOne I tried Dreadhorde Arcanist , and it works well if you max out on every 1 cmc drop, like Inquisition of Kozilek , Thoughtseize , Fatal Push , and Path to Exile . However, since Faithless Looting got the ban axe, we need Ransack the Lab for card draw and it is 2 cmc and doesn't fit well with Dreadhorde Arcanist . It's an honest maybeboard card, but with the current build, it doesn't work.
YamishiTheWickedOne Blood Moon delays the inevitable against big mana decks. We need proactive choices that don't stall, like Fulminator Mage , Molten Rain , or Pillage . I've opted for Pillage so as to also kick some artifact behind, like Tron's plethora of artifacts and the occasional Affinity, since we can also destroy their manlands. Also, having sorcery spells help for all our creatures to trigger some type of additional VALUE advantage, minus Hazoret the Fervent .
YamishiTheWickedOne as for Yawgmoth, Thran Physician ... I don't like it, personally... it feels very "win-more" and doesn't work with the consistent in all the cmc of the cards. Besides, Plague Engineer literally takes a Phyrexian dump all over Human and other tribal decks. Yawgmoth, Thran Physician might need more testing, but I have not been excited to play him on turn 4 compared to other cards and combinations. Maybe one day he will be "emergency ban worthy" (really funny reference since I also was a Yugioh player before MtG), but as for now, he's "meh".
Thank you all for being so interested in the build and keeping the comment section alive and thriving! I appreciate the support and the enthusiasm! Here's to the future of Mardu Pyromancer!
3 months ago
Thanks Snowmen1 !
I've just take a look at yours and they're actually pretty similar^^
I understand your preference for Fulminator Mage as you run 3 Unearth and no Blood Moon , but i personally like Blood Moon and the flexibility of Pillage . Concerning Ghitu Encampment , i'm not sure it's really better than Lavaclaw Reaches . I have to give it a go !
Hazoret is here to close the game faster. I often miss some clock and honestly, even if i appreciate the CA of Seasoned Pyromancer , i wonder if i will not return to Goblin Rabblemaster as he always was a efficient win condition.
I saw you also run Funeral Charm and it's pretty uncommon ! It's a pet card of mine but it competes with Reckless Charge as o one-of. I love the versatility of Charm but Dreadhorde Arcanist with Haste is insane !
3 months ago
Hey Hi all. I used to have a R/G Land destruction deck here that had 29 +1's, likes, that was standard Format.
Then I changed it, to a modern deck, and it got +19 +1's,likes at another site.
Then I changed it again, and post it here again.
It can get out a Deus of Calamity , on, by turns 1,2,3.
It destroys lands on turns 1,2,3.
The deck destroys Jund, Tron, Kiki Chord.
I have worked a hard a long time on this deck.
So I posted the deck, as a kind of example, template, Primer, with a semi kinda, sorta, semi article like deck description.
Also I am trying to build one of the best Land Destruction decks possible.
And I want to help those in the community to be able build the best land destruction deck possible.
So please view, read, etc, the deck, when want to.
Also please comment on, about the deck on, at the deck, when want to.
Also when,if you like the deck, please like, +1 the deck, when, if you like deck.
That would, will help me, others assess the deck.
Also if the deck does NOT get enough +1's, it would probably get ignored.
I plan on buying the cards for this deck,then playing the deck at competitive FNM's, PTQ, etc.
SCORE: 1 | 13 COMMENTS | 133 VIEWS