|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Anvil of Bogardan
Players have no maximum hand size.
At the beginning of each player's draw step, that player draws an additional card, then discards a card.
Anvil of Bogardan Discussion
11 hours ago
@ MCJennings The Anvil of Bogardan looks very sweet to me and I think that it might just be better than Howling Mine indeed. Very often I'm hording valuable enchantments and artifacts in my graveyard to cast an Open the Vaults , most of the time resulting in a powerfull bordstate unexpected by my opponents. The Anvil should be able helping me by filling my graveyard over the time with valuable goods... I'm making some changes to my Zedruudeck at the moment, trying out some new things to spice it up. So I did just cut the Howling Mine for Torpor Orb (SCREW YOU, Bane of Progress !!) . I'm going through some testing right now and I will update the deck sometime next week here on tappedout :)
1 day ago
I wanted to brainstorm with you an old card I just discovered because of MTG Goldfish. What are your feelings about Anvil of Bogardan in place of Howling Mine ? Obviously it's not card advantage, but it is one more means of having no maximum handsize and still digs deeper. Same cost card type and general function does make them comparable.
I think I am going to work it into my list but I'm still mulling it over.
2 weeks ago
I feel like Black Vise is strickly better than Iron Maiden , Anvil of Bogardan will let you kill them faster, by increasing the cards in their hand to kill them faster how does everyone feel about this combo: Inspiring Statuary + Winter Orb letting you tap winter orb at after your opponent's untap step, so all your lands untap on your untap step, removing the mana restriction on yourself, so you can Blue Sun's Zenith
1 month ago
Love the concept, this feels so cool!
Some suggestions I think could fit there and make the list even more reliable:
- Phyrexian Reclamation > busted card. In any creature-heavy decklist like yours with some sacrifice strategy, it's a staple.
- Attrition > another busted card. Fine sac outlet.
- Priest of Forgotten Gods > slow card - high rewards. I really like this one alongside both boots and greaves. It's not the best sac outlet ever seen, but it greatly helps with the Aristocrat theme.
- Vindictive Vampire (not updated on Tappedout yet) > another brand new awesome card! It is a better Falkenrath Noble , specially designed for EDH. I expect it to be one of the strongest cards from the new set for EDH, as it doesn't need to set-up your combo in order to become devastating.
- Anger > gives haste to your rats for even more pressure.
- Pack Rat > obviously excellent there.
- Marrow-Gnawer > the classical ''Rat'' Commander. Nice with a haste enabler: it creates Rats token, works like sac outlet... just everything you want.
- Insult / Injury > good to find a lethal, but also acts as a fine removal card. Could be a nice inclusion, according to your preferences though.
- Anvil of Bogardan > an old artifact I like a lot. Not so many plays it, but I feel like it always is a really good card if you want to play with your graveyard a bit. You draw an extra card, discard a Rat, uses some enchantment/ Living Death ability to bring back your bois on the battlefield, etc. Honestly, I see it as a staple.
- The Immortal Sun > Both Liliana and Angrath aren't that good here imo. Liliana works as a pretty 'meh' ramp tool and is barely better than a Thaumatic Compass Flip (which won't fit at all in this decklist). Angrath is more flexible and efficient, but its abilities don't justify its mana-cost. Running Immortal Sun will help you to slow down sometimes your opponents, provides you fine card draw (which is always good), and finally make your rats cheaper as well as stronger.
A bunch of cards that could be destructive powerhouses, but which would demand some interesting take on your deckbuilding:
- Patriarch's Bidding > with (for example) some cards like Secret Salvage + Zombie Infestation , it enables crazy combos. It's better than Living Death for tribal decks, but I would say that you should run both of em.
- Anthem of Rakdos > very slow but oppressive card when you manage to take up board advantage. I would argue that this is better than Havoc Festival in this brew.
- Hazoret's Favor > one of the most shunned cards of Amonketh I think has a lot of potentials to exploit. You could run Combat Celebrant alongside/or Aggravated Assault .
I hope the small list above will give new ideas to explore. Keep on the good work and enjoy brewing!
1 month ago
If MLD is acceptable in your playgroup you could run a few and play them when you stick a strong enchantment like Revel in Riches or Black Market to pull ahead. In that case play ones that destroy everything but enchantments like Obliterate and Decree of Annihilation.
Fervor and Goblin Assault aren't doing much for you in a control shell. I could see the need for a token producer if you were playing Smokestack and friends but on your current build it only creates a suicide grunt.
If you want to pursue the discard route I suggest Oppression, Painful Quandary, and Words of Waste, Waste Not, and Myojin of Night's Reach. If you're going for reanimator I'd suggest Anvil of Bogardan as well to get the plays going faster.
1 month ago
Hyena34 Those are pretty spicy cards, will look into testing it. Thanks!
Nerve_Atk Great ideas! I've tested out Sire Of Insanity but since my deck runs on having constant recurring Ghostly Flicker/Evacuation lock that card is kinda like a double edged sword as it makes me discard my key engine pieces. It might work in other discard builds for sure. I do run Notion Thief which combos with Anvil of Bogardan in a similar way as Chains of Mephistopheles.
1 month ago
This is pretty sweet! I was just thinking about a similar concept, but wanted to test Disinformation Campaign in it as well, and build around Surveil a bit. The truest bouncy house!
Have you considered running Sire Of Insanity in your list? At a hefty price point, Chains of Mephistopheles would also go wonderfully, pairing with Anvil of Bogardan for a hand-size lock that makes opponents permanently hell-bent if they get there!
I'm planning to run Bedlam Reveler and The Flame of Keld as additional ways of getting myself hell-bent or at 4 cards or less for Noetic Scales, and am tempted to play Ensnaring Bridge as well. Not really 100% sure yet on the exact slots, I've got piles of cards on the table that need to be trimmed to make the deck still lol
Nice deck, I will definitely be taking some inspiration from it!
Anvil of Bogardan occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%