|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2017 Edition (MM3)||Common|
|Ravnica: City of Guilds (RAV)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Knight
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (9)||TThors , mtgmanatee , Falte , bakunet , Yawkcorb , Candyman949 , bakeraj4 , Vasbear1 , PTsmitty|
Skyknight Legionnaire Discussion
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
I'm going to attempt to fix my sideboard to represent what I would actually use.
Let me know what you think once I fix the deck.
1 month ago
Hey so the list certainly has changed, with that said there are a few cards I don't particularly like (not saying they shouldn't be here but from a personal standpoint they are not worth it in my opinion).
Honored Crop-Captain is first and foremost on that list. The effect seems nice however in practice it feels underwhelming in my opinion, especially considering there are better things to be doing turn two.
Before I get into all that however I feel like the deck needs to be given a re-defined identity:
Boros Reckoner is a powerful effect and an aggressive card however it works best with cards like Blasphemous Act to deal massive damage, and really is a different deck entirely. Your deck is not really set up to support it in this way and as such, though a good aggressive card, it feels like it isn't reaching it's full potential.
The number of burn spells also demands note. 13 Dedicated burn spells and 15 total is high for a creature based agro deck. All four Magma Jet and, in my opinion, 1 Lightning Helix are surplus to requirements in the list's current composition. With this said the list could easily be transformed into something that more closely resembles a burn deck by adding more burn spells like Boros Charm and Rift Bolt (and replacing Magma Jet with Lava Spike eventually). Playing burn also means the amount of creatures would fall to a small number of core creatures, notably Monastery Swiftspear, Goblin Guide (or basically any haste one drop you have lying around Guide is just the ideal card), and Eidolon of the Great Revel (personally don't feel this card would be necessary especially given its absurd price). If you stick with the high number of spells then Monastery Swiftspear is a great include, otherwise I would cut a few for some more creatures and if possible at least one more Path to Exile.
The other more outlandish identity this deck could take on is Jeskai delver/tempo. Currently you have Skyknight Legionnaire (which regardless of what you do I would recommend upping unless you go jeskai as evasion is always valuable especially on a hasty threat) however this card is pretty much a strictly worse Mantis Rider. If you stay in Boros then Legionnaire is fine but Mantis Rider and some other cards make jeskai tempo an interesting prospect. The possible cards in question are: Delver of Secrets Flip, Mantis Rider, Spell Queller, Mausoleum Wanderer, possibly Young Pyromancer, Geist of Saint Traft (personally believe this card lends itself more to control than tempo but worth mentioning) and then a number of smaller cards like Remand and Serum Visions/Opt for more interaction. Jeskai agro could be an interesting deck however as boros the deck stays fast and doesn't have to worry about a three colour mana base.
Other than that the most definitive thing I can say is to cut the Firstblades they are decent for a turn and then just below curve dorks, Legionnaire can replace them.
As for the sideboard, to help you the most I need to know what decks you are playing on a regular basis. Right now your sideboard is more like cards that didn't fit. Ideally you want it to be a place where you have cards that hate on other decks.
3 months ago
Cards I think are very good in this deck:
Blade of Selves, Sunbird's Invocation, Nahiri, the Harbinger - These synergize with your game plan of casting a bunch of big Angels and beating down with them. They're also just individually powerful cards.
Cards I would heavily consider cutting:
- Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit - While the deck has a lot of nontoken creatures, most of the counters will end up on utility creatures, not Angels, and you don't have any synergy with +1/+1 counters.
- Blaze Commando - You have 5 total sorcery spells that deal damage, and all but Disaster Radius and Meteor Blast kill all your Elementals (and probably the Commando). It just isn't a fit for this deck.
- Firemane Angel - This card is just a lot of mana for an underwhelming creature. It's recursive, but you already have Defy Death and Gift of Immortality to recur creatures, and you're running so many big creatures that it's not a huge concern.
- Firemane Avenger - I'm not super sure on this one (it might be alright), but it feels very low-impact, and if you can attack with three creatures safely, you're probably in a position where you don't need a free Lightning Helix. This is probably one of the last cuts to make.
- Flamewright - This card just isn't doing anything this deck wants.
- Fumiko the Lowblood - Maybe I'm wrong, but this just doesn't seem like an effect this deck needs, especially after cutting the Humans side of the deck.
- Glory-Bound Initiate - Again, just too low-impact for Commander.
- Goldnight Castigator - I misremembered this one - it's not as good as I thought it was. Probably too low-impact, and dangerous (it puts a big target on your head when you take double damage).
- Hanweir Lancer - Do you really need first strike when all your creatures are probably better than anything your opponents will likely have? It beats deathtouch, but so does indestructible, and that also protects the creature from removal. We can do better.
- Hero of Oxid Ridge - Are 1-power creatures blocking Angels that often? Probably not. Without that relevant clause, this is a 4/2 with battle cry - not very relevant for a big creature deck. And it's not on theme.
- Iroas's Champion - See Glory-Bound Initiate.
- Jareth, Leonine Titan - This card is okay, but we can probably fill this slot with a better creature for the deck. One of the last cuts, most likely.
- Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer - This effect is powerful, but we aren't heavy on artifacts, so metalcraft is unreliable, and we aren't a deck that can make the best use out of it.
- Odric, Lunarch Marshal - We can get something very similar with Angelic Skirmisher, which is an Angel and does something on an empty board.
- Shepherd of the Lost - See Glory-Bound Initiate.
- Skyknight Legionnaire - See you-know-what.
- Sun Titan - This guy is awesome, but he's not likely to bring back much of value in a deck filled to the brim with big Angels.
- Thalia, Heretic Cathar - Is this an effect this deck really wants? If it is, Blind Obedience is an enchantment that hits artifacts instead of nonbasics, and also extorts (It is legal in this deck).
- Truefire Paladin See...yawn
- Victory's Herald - We're an ANGEL deck! We don't need to give our creatures FLYING! In all seriousness, this is very redundant with a deck made up of 30% fliers, 30% support spells, and 40% mana.
- Deathrender - This card is just kinda expensive and difficult to use, and it only lets us cheat out Angels we can just cast anyway.
- Banishing Light - This is a small upgrade, but Grasp of Fate is probably just better.
- Citadel Siege - This card draws a bunch of hate, but isn't so impactful it wins us the game (like Sunbird's Invocation). We can do much better.
- Curse of the Nightly Hunt - Like Fumiko the Lowblood, I'm not convinced we want this effect.
- Faith's Fetters - I'd rather run something more like Banishing Light as enchantment-based removal, because it deals with static abilities like, for example, Angel of Invention.
- Battle Hymn - This card is both really awkward (makes red mana when most of our expensive stuff is white) and not actually going to produce much mana outside of a token deck. We really don't need an effect like this one.
- Martial Glory - Our creatures are already big, so do we really need a combat trick to make them good? I don't think so.
- Ancient Amphitheater - We aren't running Giant tribal, so this is just a worse Wind-Scarred Crag 95% of the time. I'd rather run a basic, or a Reliquary Tower or something.
- Evolving Wilds, Terramorphic Expanse, Vivid Crag, Vivid Meadow - We're a 2-color deck - we really don't need to run what amount to tapped basics most of the time.
Cards I'm unsure about:
- The token cards: Adriana, Captain of the Guard, Sunhome Guildmage, Assemble the Legion, Cathars' Crusade - These cards are all great (and gave me an idea for a deck to build) but I don't think they're a fit for this deck. Either expand on the token plan, or cut these.
- Emancipation Angel - I don't think we need this? If it had flash, I'm all for it, but as it is I don't think we want to bounce our expensive creatures.
- Thalia's Lancers - I don't think we have enough legendary permanents that this is worth playing. If you end up adding more, then go for it.
- Meteor Blast - We're running white - we can get less expensive one-sided boardwipes, I feel.
- Nevermore - If we end up running ways to tutor up enchantments, this is a great silver bullet answer to almost anything, but even in that case, I think Gideon's Intervention is better most of the time. Maybe you run both?
Cards I recommend:
- "Voltron" cards - Since Anya can easily become indestructible and is already evasive, she's a good candidate for winning with commander damage. Loxodon Warhammer is already in the deck, as is Lightning Greaves, so we've got a head start. Some cards I'd recommend are:
- Swiftfoot Boots - Basically Lightning Greaves, but you can target the creature. If you intend to pile a bunch of equipment on Anya this is probably a better option.
- Grappling Hook - Gives Anya double strike, as well as helping you get rid of problem creatures (Remember Anya has flying, so a nonflier can't block her).
- Argentum Armor - Much like the Hook, this makes Anya a serious threat while helping deal with problematic permanents.
- Assault Suit - Get Anya attacking on everyone else's turns, too!
- Champion's Helm - Protects Anya while also making her big.
- Godsend - A bit pricy, but discourages opponents from attacking into or blocking Anya, and a combo with Grappling Hook
- Inquisitor's Flail - Anya's indestructible, so this card's downside is completely meaningless.
- Pariah's Shield - When equipped to Anya, this basically makes you invincible.
- Puresteel Paladin - If you go hard on the Equipment theme, this guy will put in work. Probably not the best if you stick with Angels, though.
- Stoneforge Masterwork - This one should be obvious.
- Steelshaper's Gift - Again, if you go deep with Equipment, consider this.
- Sword of the Animist - Ramp sword? Ramp sword.
- Sword of Vengeance - Give Anya every keyword ever printed on a creature. And +2/+0!
- Worldslayer - This one is just to silly to not bring up.
- Herald's Horn - Makes your Angels cheaper, and helps you draw them.
- Door of Destinies - This should be fairly obvious.
- Kindred Charge - This card will win you games, I guarantee it. Especially with stuff like Angel of Serenity.
- Vanquisher's Banner - Similar to Herald's Horn. Makes your Angels big instead of cheap.
- Angel of Sanctions - Banishing Light on a stick? That you can use twice? Seems good.
- Angel of the Dire Hour - Get 'em! Just don't play this on your combat phase.
- Angelic Skirmisher - Give your team some nice abilities, and on an Angel to boot!
- Archangel of Tithes - Makes life hard for token decks and discourages attacks.
- Aurelia, the Warleader - How are you not already running this? Well, whatever, I won't judge.
- Basandra, Battle Seraph - Prevents opponents getting tricky in combat, and helps deal with problematic utility creatures that are otherwise hard to get rid of.
- Exquisite Archangel - Saves you from death once, which damn well better be enough.
- Karmic Guide - Recurs your big threats which would otherwise rot in your graveyard forever.
- Linvala, Keeper of Silence - A hefty price tag, but an upgrade to think about. Completely shuts down powerful utility creatures and mana dorks (it doesn't care whether the ability is a mana ability).
- Platinum Angel - You literally can't lose. The purpose is obvious, although the target on your head is just as visible.
- Reya Dawnbringer - Basically a repeated Karmic Guide - who wouldn't love to make their Angels unkillable?
- Twilight Shepherd - Having this card sitting on the battlefield makes nobody want to boardwipe, since you just get all your creatures back anyway.
- Avacyn, Angel of Hope - Expensive, but well worth the price - it's really hard to deal with an indestructible field of anything, let alone big fliers.
- Hour of Devastation - Three mana boardwipes are quite strong, and this card almost always costs three mana in Commander. This one even hits artifacts, enchantments, and planeswalkers!
- Boros Charm - A versatile spell that can save you from a boardwipe, make an Angel a major threat, or just burn someone out of the game, if need be.
- Master Warcraft - Completely blowing out two opponents seems well worth four mana to me! If need be, it can even just be a Fog.
- Wear / Tear - Versatile artifact and enchantment removal.
- Return to Dust - Just like Wear / Tear. I put this one in basically every white deck I make.
- Swords to Plowshares - Spot removal that deals with just about any creature.
- Grand Abolisher - We wouldn't want any pesky blue mages countering our Angels, would we? Also has the upside of preventing combat trickery on your turn.
On the manabase:
I like that you put in so many mana rocks and lands (a lot of first-time deck builders might skimp in this regard) but the colors are a bit strange. You have more red sources than white, despite the fact you have more white cards than red. I would cut a few Mountains and replace them with Plains.
Obviously you can't run all of these recommendations, but pick the ones you like the best to fill the empty slots. Overall, I quite like the premise of the deck, but it could use a lot of polish.
4 months ago
Hi. I'll comment assuming this is not meant to be a standard legal deck.
Me and my friend came back to magic in the first innistrad block as a form of gathering again. We established some rules: each one choses a pre-constructed deck from the innistrad block and we could buy 2-3 booster por month and only use those cards to build our decks and we could only trade with each other. That aside, I choose the WR agressive humans deck and my all-star card was (4 copies, of course) Brimstone Volley.
The deck objective was to aggro early on and put my friend down to 10 life or less. After that it was pretty easy to close the games since I would have 3-4 week creatures and they would have 1-2 bigger ones, allowing me to attack with all and putting them in the spot where they needed to block but knew I would have Brimstone Volley with morbid online! (I actually won a game dealing 13 damage with 3 Volleys. Wasn't 15 because I didn't need the morbid in the last one :P)
If you manage to have tons of humans, then Champion of the Parish is your men. Boros Elite, Wojek Halberdiers, Ash Zealot, Thalia's Lieutenant, Stormblood Berserker, Glory-Bound Initiate, Unruly Mob, Lightning Mauler, Silverblade Paladin, Nearheath Pilgrim.
Legion Loyalist, Goblin Guide, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben and Thalia, Heretic Cathar (yeah, I know what you said about budget, but I'm just listing), Bomat Courier, Skyknight Legionnaire is nice (and actually remembers me about the new dude from Ixalan Sky Terror). I love Hellrider, especially if you can get wide. Maybe build around Oketra's Monument? Charging Monstrosaur could be the top end of the deck's curve. In my deck back in the day, Zealous Conscripts was the top end. Speaking of 5-drops and top end of curve Glorybringer, Urabrask the Hidden, Thundermaw Hellkite and Stormbreath Dragon.
You need to change your mana base cause there are too many taplands. Some Sacred Foundry would be nice, there is Kaladesh's Inspiring Vantage. Otherwise I would say to use a few taplands, like 2-3 and get some Evolving Wilds. If the land is going to be tapped, at least Evolving Wilds will thin your deck so you have more chance to draw spells rather than lands.
4 months ago
Hey buddy, here are some tips I would suggest in order to make your deck more competitive. Unfortunately voltron is not the strongest right now, but that doesn't mean you can't give your sexy lady Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas everything that she deserves.
Lands:Things like Boros Garrison that come into play tapped need to go, unless they are part of a winning combo, and even then that is sketchy. Add Sacred Foundry to your mana pool for essentially another Plateau. Also, add more fetchlands to fix your mana. Fetchlands also have a benefit of thinning out your deck so you have a better chance of getting to what you want. Ancient Tomb is also a great land for you. So is Inventors' Fair!
Artifacts:You are missing the essential artifact ramp package of Chrome Mox, maybe Lotus Petal, Mana Vault, Mana Crypt, Mox Diamond, and for your deck even Mox Opal due to your amount of artifacts. You could even add the 2 artifact lands to help with metalcraft. Lotus Petal is a person call, but I could see you going without. If you need more ramp then maybe ones like Mind Stone or Prismatic Lens. Howling Mine gives a benefit to all of your opponents as well, so I would suggest cutting that. Any mana ramp that comes into play tapped should probably be cut. In addition, since your deck is slower than many other decks and require combat steps, I would recommend adding artifact stax pieces to slow people down. Ideally you want pieces that hurt your opponents more than they hurt you. Things like Winter Orb after you play your commander. That way your opponents have less resources to deal with your stuff. I would recommend checking out competitive decks to see what stax pieces they use and seeing which ones would work best for you.
Creatures:You have a lot of expensive creatures that don't completely go with your wincon with your commander. I would also straight up remove Skyknight Legionnaire. I would definitely add Stoneforge Mystic to have another tutor and a way to flash in artifacts. I would also recommend using stax creatures to hurt your opponents. Maybe something like Ethersworn Canonist since you play lots of artifacts. I believe there are other white creatures that tutor up artifacts, you should check them out. If you want to add creatures that can you can equip things to besides your commander, maybe look at things like Kemba, Kha Regent or Monastery Mentor. You can also rock the awesome Recruiter of the Guard. Also, have you met your future friend Magus of the Moon?
Enchantments:You have lots of stax pieces here which I think is good. I would recommend adding more with things like Stony Silence. I'm not sure how well Ghostly Prison works with your deck, so if you need to cut things it should also be one of the things to go. And probably most importantly, hello Blood Moon!
Instants/Sorceries:Faithless Looting should be an instant add. I would also say Pyroblast and Red Elemental Blast should be for sure additions. They can counter counterspells and destroy blue permanents. If you want wheel effects then good old Wheel of Fortune should be added. Red has access to some okay draw effects through cards like Tormenting Voice that can help you go through your deck. Sensei's Divining Top might not be a bad card for you either. You also have a tons of board wipes. Yes, having one or two can be nice, but not that many. Rolling Earthquake is really solid, and if you want Wrath of God isn't bad either, but after that more spot removal is probably best.
Overall Recommendations:I would recommend dropping your overall cmc with cheaper costed cards that help you win with your primary wincon, Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas, more efficiently. Stax pieces could help you out a lot with slowing others down too. Adding something like Isochron Scepter + Final Fortune + Sundial of the Infinite is a relatively cheap way for you to get infinite turns and to pull out a win. I would also recommend more draw spells, they can help you go through your deck to the good stuff more efficiently. Once you drop the cmc of the deck you should cut lands, I wouldn't go over 32 with the ramp you will have.
8 months ago
Probably cut Viashino Firstblade for Nahiri
Skyknight Legionnaire for Gisela