Well of Discovery
At the end of your turn, if you control no untapped lands, draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Well of Discovery Discussion
2 months ago
less lands, and i mean it: 37 land, tops
Tranquility is a great green budget option to get rid of pesky enchantments.
5 months ago
So the deck looks pretty good! I can see a good theme of aggressive creature that also do other stuff, like anthem all your creatures, so it looks like this can beat down pretty hard pretty quickly.
You mentioned that you find yourself in topdeck mode pretty often, and I can see why. I usually aim for 10-14 cards that draw more cards, and I only see 2 here (Staff of Nin and Reforge the Soul.) A lot of people will say that Boros just can't draw spells, but those people are wrong. Now, Boros isn't the most efficient at drawing cards, but it's not out of their reach. Get ready for a wall of text, because here are all your options:
Pursuit of Knowledge, Sorcerer's Strongbox, Slate of Ancestry, Dreamstone Hedron, Magus of the Wheel, Knollspine Dragon, Commune with Lava, Wheel of Fortune, Wheel of Fate, Mentor of the Meek, Bygone Bishop, Stromkirk Occultist, Sin Prodder, Prophetic Flamespeaker, Outpost Siege, Chandra, Pyromaster, Chandra, Flamecaller, Well of Discovery, Urza's Blueprints, Tower of Fortunes, Thran Tome, Tamiyo's Journal, Sword of Fire and Ice, Skullclamp, Rogue's Gloves, Moonring Mirror, Mind's Eye, Mask of Memory, Loreseeker's Stone, Infiltration Lens, Illuminated Folio, Farsight Mask, Endbringer, Bottled Cloister, Bargaining Table, Book of Rass, and Angelheart Vial.
Of these, I'm going to suggest the following eight to bring your number up to ten (obviously Mind's Eye, Sword of Fire and Ice, Chandra, Flamecaller, and Wheel of Fortune are the absolute best, but they are all above $5, unlike the following cards):
- Mentor of the Meek
- Outpost Siege
- Chandra, Pyromaster
- Knollspine Dragon
- Magus of the Wheel
- Slate of Ancestry
- Mask of Memory
So what 8 cards to take out? Let's find out which are the least impact, and let's start from the highest cmc, because getting a lower curve is never bad.
- Captain of the Watch: This card is great in a soldier tribal, but too low impact in this deck, I think. With only 10 cards that get the boost from her, on average, it will only interact with 1-2 cards at a time.
- Lightmine Field: I can understand wanting some pillow fort, but there are plenty of options that don't affect your creatures too, and you are going wide, so this card hoses you pretty bad.
- Ajani Vengeant: His plus is very situational, and even though the other abilities are pretty good, him sometimes not doing anything until then is kind of a waste of a card here.
- Sword of Vengeance: I like having a lot of abilities to get the boost from cards like Concerted Effort, but I think this card is just too expensive for too little. None of the abilities are necessities in the deck to be on one creature.
- Skyknight Legionnaire: French vanillas are sometimes cool, but this one here is not worth 3 mana. There are better hasty creatures and better fliers for 3 mana, so I don't think its necessary to have them both on one creature since they don't really combo in any way.
- Lightning Talons: This pretty much has the flaws of both above cards, plus the fact that it's an aura means that it opens yourself to a 2-for-1.
- Godsend: This isn't really an equipment-themed deck, and there are better equipment for a deck going wide, like Sword of the Paruns. Overall, it's not a horrible card, but paying six mana to give a creature +3/+3 and exiling "deathtouch" doesn't seem that worth it here.
- Asha's Favor: Again with the keywords, and the auras, and the three mana!
So those are the 8 cards I would take out for the drawing cards.
If you are interested, here are some cards I think would definitely make this deck more resilient!
Secondly, there are a couple of super aggro cards for edh that I think you could take advantage of, although be wary because these can make you an early target if played too soon: Luminarch Ascension, Serra Ascendant, and Hero of Bladehold.
Lastly, every deck needs a couple of easy ways to pick off nasty creatures, so I would recommend using Swords to Plowshares, Path to Exile, and Darksteel Mutation (which turns off commanders!) as some pretty good spot removal cards.
Thanks, and good luck!
6 months ago
there are a few card draw spells that I might suggest for this deck Carnage Altar, Damnable Pact, Dark Prophecy, Decree of Pain, Dregs of Sorrow, Erebos, God of the Dead, Fruit of the First Tree, Greed, Inheritance, Insist, Mind's Eye, Nantuko Cultivator, Necrologia,Symbiotic Deployment Phyrexian Etchings, Well of Discovery, Wretched Confluence
Now, all of these are not perfect, and some will probably be easily vetoed but they all can function as good card draw in your deck. Well, besides insist, but that card is just nice to have.
9 months ago
Insert copy/pasted lists for ya!
Azami, Lady of Scrolls
Bident of Thassa
Bringer of the Blue Dawn
Higure, the Still Wind
Honden of Seeing Winds
Jace, Memory Adept
Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Jace, Unraveler of Secrets
Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
Keeper of the Mind
Lu Su, Wu Advisor
Lu Xun, Scholar General
Sea Gate Loremaster
Soul of Ravnica
Teferi, Temporal Archmage
Thada Adel, Acquisitor
Thopter Spy Network
Trail of Evidence
Book of Rass
Mask of Memory
Scroll of Origins
Slate of Ancestry
Staff of Nin
Sword of Fire and Ice
Tapestry of the Ages
Tower of Fortunes
Well of Discovery
Well of Lost Dreams
And if you want burst draw, let me know. That's a whole another list
11 months ago
looks like a cool deck. i have not made a volrath deck but i think he holds a lot of potential.
first, black has some of the best card draw! i am skeptical about Mercadian Atlas, Well of Discovery, and Gravestorm when you could have Necropotence, Greed, Bloodgift Demon, Erebos, God of the Dead, Necrologia, Promise of Power.
could you use more reanimation? Living Death, Animate Dead, Reanimate, Stitch Together, or get them back to your hand for another round of discard Phyrexian Reclamation? and Whip of Erebos has the added benefit of giving your commander lifelink.
also maybe Crypt Ghast if more mana is helpful
1 year ago
When the highlight is a foil Greel's Caress, you know it wasn't a great day for crack-a-pack :-(
The set obviously had a strong lands-matter theme, but it was NOTHING like Zendikar. More along the lines of sacrificing lands (Agent of Shauku and Troubled Healer) and being very careful about ending your turn tapped out or not (Calming Verse, Hazy Homunculus, and Well of Life). Considering the set was released back when mana burn was still a thing, that could have made for some interesting play. But there was really nothing in the pack that made us go "Cool!" ...
... which shouldn't have been any sort of surprise, as we could have looked up Mark Rosewater's opinion of the set before adding it to our Advent calendar: "Prophecy was, in my opinion, one of the all-time lows of design (my pick for the second-worst designed set after Homelands) but it did demonstrate some things not to do ..."
Ah well, live and learn! And as for the rare:
Tomorrow: Odyssey! And perhaps a history lesson in graveyard shenanigans ...