(5), Tap: Reveal the top three cards of your library. Target opponent chooses one of those cards. Put that card into your graveyard, then draw two cards.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Thran Tome Discussion
5 days ago
Since I didn't get a direct answer, I am just going to infer that you want cards that cost at most 5 mana and cards that cost at most 8 dollars (you mentioned Staff of Nin and Mind's Eye which almost make it but don't).
Not knowing the rest of the deck and if you have lots of creatures in it (where Skullclamp and friends would be fantastic), here is a list I found of cards that should help after looking through MagicalHacker - List of All Draw Cards (Steady), my resource of all available efficient cards that let you repeatedly gain card advantage:
- Sunset Pyramid
- Bottled Cloister
- Oracle's Vault
- Seer's Sundial
- Tapestry of the Ages
- Thran Tome
- Illuminated Folio
- Moonring Mirror
- Treasure Map Flip
Take a look at that previously linked list to see exactly what can and can't work for you, and I'm sure that you'll find more than enough cards to do what you want. :)
11 months ago
I think there are enough books in magic to not need to resort to scrolls too. Some that could replace the scrolls: Otherworld Atlas, Book of Rass, Thran Tome, Scour the Laboratory, Insidious Dreams, Metalworker, Anarchist, Oath of Lim-Dul, Personal Tutor, and Twisted Justice.
11 months ago
So the deck looks pretty good! I can see a good theme of aggressive creature that also do other stuff, like anthem all your creatures, so it looks like this can beat down pretty hard pretty quickly.
You mentioned that you find yourself in topdeck mode pretty often, and I can see why. I usually aim for 10-14 cards that draw more cards, and I only see 2 here (Staff of Nin and Reforge the Soul.) A lot of people will say that Boros just can't draw spells, but those people are wrong. Now, Boros isn't the most efficient at drawing cards, but it's not out of their reach. Get ready for a wall of text, because here are all your options:
Pursuit of Knowledge, Sorcerer's Strongbox, Slate of Ancestry, Dreamstone Hedron, Magus of the Wheel, Knollspine Dragon, Commune with Lava, Wheel of Fortune, Wheel of Fate, Mentor of the Meek, Bygone Bishop, Stromkirk Occultist, Sin Prodder, Prophetic Flamespeaker, Outpost Siege, Chandra, Pyromaster, Chandra, Flamecaller, Well of Discovery, Urza's Blueprints, Tower of Fortunes, Thran Tome, Tamiyo's Journal, Sword of Fire and Ice, Skullclamp, Rogue's Gloves, Moonring Mirror, Mind's Eye, Mask of Memory, Loreseeker's Stone, Infiltration Lens, Illuminated Folio, Farsight Mask, Endbringer, Bottled Cloister, Bargaining Table, Book of Rass, and Angelheart Vial.
Of these, I'm going to suggest the following eight to bring your number up to ten (obviously Mind's Eye, Sword of Fire and Ice, Chandra, Flamecaller, and Wheel of Fortune are the absolute best, but they are all above $5, unlike the following cards):
- Mentor of the Meek
- Outpost Siege
- Chandra, Pyromaster
- Knollspine Dragon
- Magus of the Wheel
- Slate of Ancestry
- Mask of Memory
So what 8 cards to take out? Let's find out which are the least impact, and let's start from the highest cmc, because getting a lower curve is never bad.
- Captain of the Watch: This card is great in a soldier tribal, but too low impact in this deck, I think. With only 10 cards that get the boost from her, on average, it will only interact with 1-2 cards at a time.
- Lightmine Field: I can understand wanting some pillow fort, but there are plenty of options that don't affect your creatures too, and you are going wide, so this card hoses you pretty bad.
- Ajani Vengeant: His plus is very situational, and even though the other abilities are pretty good, him sometimes not doing anything until then is kind of a waste of a card here.
- Sword of Vengeance: I like having a lot of abilities to get the boost from cards like Concerted Effort, but I think this card is just too expensive for too little. None of the abilities are necessities in the deck to be on one creature.
- Skyknight Legionnaire: French vanillas are sometimes cool, but this one here is not worth 3 mana. There are better hasty creatures and better fliers for 3 mana, so I don't think its necessary to have them both on one creature since they don't really combo in any way.
- Lightning Talons: This pretty much has the flaws of both above cards, plus the fact that it's an aura means that it opens yourself to a 2-for-1.
- Godsend: This isn't really an equipment-themed deck, and there are better equipment for a deck going wide, like Sword of the Paruns. Overall, it's not a horrible card, but paying six mana to give a creature +3/+3 and exiling "deathtouch" doesn't seem that worth it here.
- Asha's Favor: Again with the keywords, and the auras, and the three mana!
So those are the 8 cards I would take out for the drawing cards.
If you are interested, here are some cards I think would definitely make this deck more resilient!
Secondly, there are a couple of super aggro cards for edh that I think you could take advantage of, although be wary because these can make you an early target if played too soon: Luminarch Ascension, Serra Ascendant, and Hero of Bladehold.
Lastly, every deck needs a couple of easy ways to pick off nasty creatures, so I would recommend using Swords to Plowshares, Path to Exile, and Darksteel Mutation (which turns off commanders!) as some pretty good spot removal cards.
Thanks, and good luck!
1 year ago
Insert copy/pasted lists for ya!
Azami, Lady of Scrolls
Bident of Thassa
Bringer of the Blue Dawn
Higure, the Still Wind
Honden of Seeing Winds
Jace, Memory Adept
Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Jace, Unraveler of Secrets
Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
Keeper of the Mind
Lu Su, Wu Advisor
Lu Xun, Scholar General
Sea Gate Loremaster
Soul of Ravnica
Teferi, Temporal Archmage
Thada Adel, Acquisitor
Thopter Spy Network
Trail of Evidence
Book of Rass
Mask of Memory
Scroll of Origins
Slate of Ancestry
Staff of Nin
Sword of Fire and Ice
Tapestry of the Ages
Tower of Fortunes
Well of Discovery
Well of Lost Dreams
And if you want burst draw, let me know. That's a whole another list
1 year ago
Orcish Librarian! with a great illustration from Phil Foglio.
Expedition Map I mean, libraries also store maps...
And of course, Thran Tome.