|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Shadows over Innistrad (SOI)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
At the beginning of your upkeep, investigate. (Put a colourless Clue artifact token onto the battlefield with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
, Sacrifice three Clues: Search your library for a card and put that card into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (30)||Caldazar , Willis1994 , , PhotogenicParasympathetic , AlucardZain , pskinn01 , Dr_Jay , rikertchu , Riku580 , twistedmage , DudeMan1031 , marcus638 , Mortiferus_Rosa , PTsmitty , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , philktoken8998 , mziter501 , zachi , Big-Foot , Lindough , YossarianLives , voidruby , Dr_Doomtrain , Regulus1010 , Famicomania , Snydog17 , KB2187 , darthnuchi , ecurps , GoldGhost012|
Tamiyo's Journal Discussion
16 hours ago
Alright! So some suggestions in card's I have for you. Although I dont run a human Tribal selesnya deck, My karametra deck is pretty damn good and is my 'dont piss me off or i'll whip this deck out and kick your ass to Uranus' deck. LOL So since humans are REALLY small bodies Dusk // Dawn is a 100% auto include! Knight of the Reliquary is great and since we're in white You'll want to grab a Mistveil Plains and an Emeria, The Sky Ruin and/or Gavony Township it searches for ANY land, can be great if you have a Yavimaya Hollow. Austere Command EVERY white deck should have this, period. It deals with anything and everything! since you don't have a whole lot of instants/sorceries, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben is great here, although one mana does not seem like a lot. it makes the difference between a turn 4 Damnation and a turn 5 Damnation which will give you more value from you're creatures. I think Kytheon, Hero of Akros Flip would be great here his planeswalker ability basically gives you a permanent creature you want to survive basically anything! Also NO human deck is a human deck without their protector Avacyn, Angel of Hope and Elspeth, Sun's Champion this elspeth is great! for six mana to remove problem creatures is not bad! the other 2 elspeths are also just as good, and even if they die, it's worth the value! And instead of some of your anthem effects on creatures, I've found that anthems on enchantments/artifacts last longer and provide more support Spear of Heliod is phenomenal, it's kinda pillow-forty because you can kill their creature and gives an anthem all for 3 (6 if you use it's ability). its a great investment! Basically you really want to out-value your opponent! Also another good edition would be Homeward Path since you're having issue's with that darn pirate! Also, Tamiyo's Journal is actually REALLY underrated, I suggest you at least try it and you'll see how much work it really does!
5 days ago
I would look into some card draw, since you are running low CMC cards such as Signal Pest, Springleaf Drum, Ornithopter, Memnite, and Mox Opal. That's twenty cards at CMC 1 or lower, plus twenty free lands...Maybe Expose Evil (clues are artifacts, so any investigate cards would work), Pirate's Pillage, Frantic Salvage, or Origin Spellbomb.Serum Tank would run well, as would Tamiyo's Journal or Trading Post.You could also run Nahiri, the Harbinger for a control/search element.
2 weeks ago
Hey theseax - I think Tamiyo's Journal is a great card but I'm not sure it actually fits in this deck because the only thing you can sac for tutor is Clues specifically and there's no other Clue generation in the deck. It's something I thought about for my other artifact token decks but left it out for the same reason - it's not Treasure or Gold!
2 weeks ago
what about Tamiyo's Journal for extra artifact sac and tutor
4 weeks ago
Hey Todd. Still following this deck. I have had moderate success with it, but it is extremely dependant on getting the engine going. Some thoughts... I noticed that most of my games come down to the incidental life loss i am taking from endless fetching. Trying Pulse of Murasa to shore that up. Also I tried a one-of Tamiyo's Journal which has proven to be both a pain if stuck in my opening hand and extremely powerful to dump 3 counters on my trackers and tutor up Ob. Deck still needs tweaks but it is powerful and fun in the right matchups.
1 month ago
Consider adding some of these: Dissipate, Capsize, Into the Roil/Expel from Orazca, Wizard's Retort, Swan Song, Rite of Replication, Unwind, Myriad Landscape, Reliquary Tower, Thought Vessel, Disallow, Spell Swindle, Merchant Scroll, Muddle the Mixture, Aphetto Alchemist, Siren Stormtamer, and Gilded Lotus.
Here are the changes I would start with however, swap Syncopate for Disallow. Then Spell Pierce for Swan Song, Disappearing Act for Wizard's Retort, Divination for Dig Through Time or Preordain, swap Silent Departure for Into the Roil, Capsize, or Expel from Orazca, swap Dispel for Muddle the Mixture, Aether Spellbomb for Fellwar Stone or Sky Diamond (More mana rocks will help for what i'm suggesting below if you want to consider that route), and Tamiyo's Journal for Gilded Lotus (As you just don't have enough ways to make clue tokens, and it's kind of slow anyways. Instead focus on making lots of mana, tapping and untapping your creatures to draw lots of cards).
There is also of course Mind Over Matter and I have one myself, it is a very powerful card that pairs well with things like Temple Bell, Psychosis Crawler, even Azami, Lady of Scrolls. But admittedly it is quite expensive of course, I just thought I would make you aware of this card nonetheless. You listed the deck as budget, but I wasn't sure to what degree this means, whether that's no card over $10-$15 or what.
Dramatic Reversal is another one I highly recommend, it could be sweet if you pair this with an Isochron Scepter, and that's why cards like Long-Term Plans, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate you could more often have these. Then you can either make a ton of mana, or perhaps even infinite if you have a bunch of mana rocks out and or Paradox Engine. You could win then by casting stuff like Blue Sun's Zenith, Stroke of Genius, among other things.
Depending on how much your willing to spend other ideas include: Rhystic Study, Mind Over Matter as previously mentioned, Patron Wizard, Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip, Laboratory Maniac maybe could be good here, Maze of Ith, Riptide Laboratory, Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, Tolaria West, Path of Ancestry, and Sensei's Divining Top (Just ordered one of these myself in fact last night, it is such a useful card that can be used in a lot of decks imo).
I know I suggested more to include than what I suggested to in turn remove, I can help more with this if you haven't solved it all yourself already once i'm done with exams in 3 days. In the meanwhile I recommend you visit the website edhrec.com wihich might be a lot of help to you if your not already familiar with it!
1 month ago
I like the deck over all. I think it's pretty neat that your deck has an underlying "angel tribal" sub-theme to it. If you would like to expand that theme a bit then you could focus on more tribal synergies as well, like adding Bruna, the Fading Light and Herald of War. Also in your cat deck you have Herald's Horn and Urza's Incubator which I believe are better suited for this deck.
The big problem I am seeing with this deck overall is that your instants and sorcerys are a bit lacking, especially for red white, and your creature mana curve is really high. Some of the mana problems go away with the amount of rocks you run and if you switch to tribal angels you can use the artifacts and Herald of War to alleviate that a bit. Another problem is that most of your lands enter tapped.
To fix these things you could do as such (if you have the money or desire to):
-Desolation Giant (you're better off with a normal wrath)
-Jareth, Leonine Titan (doesn't have flying or reach which makes him worse)
-Kalemne's Captain (to much mana. If you have enough to monstrous, play an angel)
-Ancient Amphitheater (you wont be running enough giants for this to be worth it)
-Comeuppance (4 drop instant is a lot in this deck)
-Manabarbs (I like the idea, but you will need to tap many more lands than anyone else)
-Loxodon Warhammer (Great card, but not really useful in this high cost deck)
-Tamiyo's Journal (Too slow for this deck)
-Whispersilk Cloak (Most of your creatures already have flying)
+Seraph Sanctuary (life gain is nice & angel synergy)
+Defy Death (5 mana for an angel)
+Marshal's Anthem (anthems and brings back a bunch of creatures)
Other cards you might want to think about:There are plenty of other possible angels to add. The list is to big to add here, so look online if you are interested.
Path to Exile is great if you have a spare.
Wear is good, but it's a couple bucks.
Chaos Warp would be a must add if it wasn't $3.
Wraths are good at slowing down the game for you to catch up. Cards like Hour of Revelation, Day of Judgment, Blasphemous Act, Descend upon the Sinful, Rout, and Fumigate are all pretty good examples.
Vandalblast is a good artifact wrath.
Kindred Boon might be a sweet enchantment to check out.
Gratuitous Violence is right up this decks ally.
Berserkers' Onslaught is pretty cool as well.
Hope this helped.
1 month ago
Individual Card Comments:
- Wayfarer's Bauble - Too Slow. Each time you recur it, it still costs 2.
- Contagion Engine How many cards can be affected by proliferate? If low, I'm not sure it is worth it.
- Spine of Ish Sah - Technically it goes to the yard, then the return to hand trigger goes on the stack. Find a way to bring it back to the battlefield before the bounce trigger resolves. Sculpting Steel copying Spine will cause Steel to come back to hand when sacrificed. Very useful.
- Impact Resonance - Really specific damage. I think it removes things after you need them to be removed.
- Unstable Obelisk - Even if you bring it back, it still costs 7 mana to remove something.
- Word of Seizing - Mindslaver is a good card because it is recurrable in your deck. This isn't. There are other gain control cards that are more useful. This and mindslaver both require you to play someone else's deck, which is a gamble whether it is worth it.
- Conjurer's Closet - How many ETB creatures do you have? Is this worth it?
- Alhammarret's Archive, Reliquary Tower, and Thought Vessel - I don't think you have enough draw to really abuse any of these. For the Archive, do you have any lifegain sources?
- Darksteel Colossus - This will never hit the graveyard, so you will always be hard casting it. Not sure if that works with your gameplan. The shuffle effect is a replacement effect, not a trigger so it doesn't use the stack.
- Hoard-Smelter Dragon - Meh, only works well with high CMC artifacts, and most of the time you'll be killing your own stuff.
- Kuldotha Forgemaster - What are you going to tutor for this that will win you the game?
- Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient - Good card, but copying what activated ability will win you the game?
- Scrap Mastery - This card is gold, and is a definite win condition in your deck. Make sure you have a way to preemptively sacrifice all of your creatures/discard your hand/mill yourself for most of your deck before resolving this.
- Unwinding Clock - Good card in this deck, but how many artifacts with tap abilities can you exploit using it?
- Karn, Silver Golem - I would only keep this for any combos associated with it. In a vacuum, he's just a good blocker.
- Skyshaper - Is create for the alpha strike single shot, I've got several big ass creatures or a shitload of tiny ones, but other than to give Blightsteel Colossus evasion, is this card super impactful?
- Phyrexia's Core, and Throne of Geth - I wouldn't consider either of these sacrifice outlets, because they are single use per rotation, and the Core costs mana. If you want sacrifice outlets I'd shoot for Ashnod's Altar, Altar of Dementia, and things that say "Sacrifice a creature:."
- Dormant Volcano - From seeing it in use, seems like you only want to see it really early on.
- Carnage Altar - I know you're in red and draw is at a premium, but 3 mana for a card is not the best.
- Too much Ramp
- Not enough Draw and Removal
- Does the deck work without Daretti? If no, find a way to protect him, or other artifact recursion sources.
- You WinCon category doesn't really have many cards that win you the game, just really impactful cards. Look for combos, or Insurrection like cards, or the dreaded MLD type effects. Basically cards that, if it resolves, win you the game.
- You have a lot of categories with one or two cards in it. I'd clean those up into more general things to get a more clear idea for what you're trying to do.
- You should probably be running more utility lands.
- Think about adding some sacrifice outlets. If this is a recursion/reanimation deck, you need to be able to kill shit when you want to.
- Red is really good at making temporary tokens, specifically artifact tokens, of things. Might be worth looking into.
- I try not to include lands in categories because they aren't abusable enough to be consistent. It gives you false category numbers. If you have 10 draw cards, but 3 are lands, you really don't have enough draw. But that's just my opinion.
- I'd try to find more "to the battlefield" recursion cards, instead of to your hand. Recasting those cards every turn causes mana problems. The "to hand" effects are still good though, just slower.
- Isochron Scepter would be good with some of the spells you have like Scrap Mastery, and Trash for Treasure.
- Tuktuk the Explorer and Feldon of the Third Path go well together, but the fact that the artifact is legendary sucks.
- Turning nonartifact cards into artifacts using effects like Liquimetal Coating is an interesting direction to look into, and there are a few cards that do similar things. Probably several useful combos to do with that. Especially if you ever get the Daretti emblem.
- Do you ever plan on getting a Daretti Emblem? Obviously you would like it, but to you, is it worth dedicating some card slots into cheating out loyalty counters to get him to 10? The problem is that he will very rarely get to 10 through use of his +2 alone. And even with Contagion Engine, people will attack him before he's at 8. Just something to think about. If you get the emblem, you've very likely won the game, so that can definitely be a win condition to pursue.
- "Control" is too ambiguous. Chaos Warp, and Steel Hellkite are removal, and Liquimetal Coating is protection(?).
- Red's draw is usually the looting (draw a card, then discard a card) and pillaging (discard a card, then draw a card) effects. These also aren't great, but using artifact recursion, cards like Mind Stone become very good draw effects if you can recur them every turn/rotation. Other abusable draws are Tamiyo's Journal, and Seer's Sundial. It might suck to give other people cards, but Howling Mine may also be worth it.
- It seems counter-intuitive, but Vandalblast might be useful, especially with Scrap Mastery.
- Are there more cards that let you cheat out artifacts from your hand like Copper Gnomes, if so that sounds like an interesting direction as well. Sneak Attack comes to mind, but
- Pentavus + Blade of the Bloodchief + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite mana.
- Nim Deathmantle + Myr Battlesphere/Pentavus + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite tokens
- Combos dont have to be infinite. If you can find a way to kill and recur Scuttling Doom Engine every turn/rotation, Id consider that a combo. Anything that puts a decent clock on everyone to answer your shit is a combo to me.