Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
- Combustible Gearhulk ETB triggers. I respond by destroying the gearhulk. ETB resolves and I choose to have my opponent mill the top cards. Can gearhulk deal damage to me even if he is in the grave? Sa me if exiled?
- "Target opponent may" and shroud
- Does Start / Finish count as CMC 3 or 6 for Combustible Gearhulk.
Artifact Creature — Construct
When Combustible Gearhulk enters the battlefield, target opponent may have you draw three cards. If the player doesn't, put the top three cards of your library into the graveyard, then Combustible Gearhulk deals damage to that player equal to the total converted mana cost of those cards.
2 months ago
Hey! Coming over from Reddit to give some advice.
First off, some overarching themes that I notice:
Draw vs Card Advantage - A lot of the cards in your "Draw" category don't actually provide any impactful draw, only scrying and cantrips. I'm an enormous fan of Fell Stinger and Thought Sponge. Easily repeatable draw effects that dump cards in your hand. Scry isn't useful unless you're drawing a ton of cards or are doing some topdeck manipulation.
Your creatures are too big - Marchesa appreciates small bodies with big effects rather than big bodies with meh effects. For this reason, I would take out Combustible Gearhulk, Vindictive Lich, Vengeful Ancestor, and Gyruda, Doom of Depths. Playing lots of small, cheaper bodies lets your deck fly under the radar until it pops off. It will also give you more targets for Imperial Recruiter.
Aristocrats style - Marchesa doesn't play like your typical aristocrats deck, Blood Artist isn't very effective when you're only sacrificing 2-3 creatures a turn. It's also counterintuitive to Dethrone. Abusing ETB and LTB effects is more important than slowly draining opponents
Not enough counter distribution - You only have 5 cards under counters and they're all either situational or restrictive. Drop some Thran Vigil type cards in there and you'll go far
Overall, you're too reliant on creatures for draw, removal, etc. Run some efficient draw and removal spells
Next up, cards I recommend removing. I've playtested most of these and they're not nearly as impactful as they seem.
- Blood Artist - Covered this above, you don't want to gain life
- Combustible Gearhulk - Opponents will often just take the damage early game and late game you do NOT want to be spending 6 mana on a 6/6 with no impactful ETB.
- Vindictive Lich - An alright card, not fantastic though. I'm very pressed for 4 drops in my deck so it didn't make the cut.
- Vengeful Ancestor - Not a very impactful card. You're running Kardur, Doomscourge so this card is just overshadowed.
- Gyruda, Doom of Depths - 6 mana to maybe cheat in one creature? Not a huge fan. If you want to replace it with a grave robber effect Puppeteer Clique is better. Still not fantastic, it didn't make the cut in my deck
- Aether Channeler - A fine card, the mode selection is okay. I'm not in love with the effects it gives though
- Morbid Opportunist - Only one draw a turn? Blasphemy
- Woe Strider Free sac outlets are nice, but I find I get overrun with them when I have more than 5 in a deck. Also more expensive just to scry? Not a fan
- Dauthi Voidwalker Will generate so much hate. Unless you can fend off your opponents don't run it
- Faerie Artisans Not the kind of stealing Marchesa likes, tokens aren't the name of the game here. Something like Zealous Conscripts will take you much further
- Phantom Steed Same as above, tokens are nice but this isn't a great card
- Ravenous Chupacabra Too much mana for removal. Black and blue have much cheaper options
There are more that I personally wouldn't run, but that's up to how you like to play your deck.
Now for some cards I would include in every Marchesa deck
- Thran Vigil - Allows you to immediately sac creatures that come back + an extra layer of protection
- Uncivil Unrest - Same as above but you can also give haste to fresh casts. Double damage doesn't hurt
- Fell Stinger - Repeatable, powerful draw on a deathtouch body
- Thought Sponge - Incredible draw engine. Sac it on opponents turns every time it enters and you'll draw AT LEAST 6 cards a turn cycle.
- Iron Apprentice - Great 1 drop, can distribute counters if you're having trouble and is sacrifice fodder
- Rakdos Cackler - sacrifice fodder
- Flayer of the Hatebound - This card gets a bad rap but it's great in Marchesa
- Herald of Secret Streams - Wincon alert! This card sneaks under the radar until you hit someone with 25 unblockable damage
- The Ozolith - Expensive, but who doesn't want to keep their counters for 1 mana!
Of course, please take a look at my deck if you need inspiration. It's pretty casual, but the synergies can be backbreaking if your opponents don't keep you in check. I also have a ton of cards in my maybeboard that I'm considering or have saved for later.
10 months ago
aholder7, thanks for play testing it again! The results are a little disheartening, but pretty much what I expected. Like I said before though, this is meant more as a casual deck for me to play against my group of friends who also just play casual, and as it is I think this deck already has more removal than they like. I like how this deck feels right now in terms of my play group's power level so unless it ends up getting absolutely demolished by my friends, I think I'll keep it as is for now.
However, I was tinkering around with the deck a little more to address the weaknesses you stated, and I think I've made a deck list that could possibly hold its ground better against a lot of the decks you play tested mine against. Here's the decklist if you wanna see:
4x Fatal Push
3x Mind Stone
I actually really like Call the Bloodline in here because it can be a fairly early game way to generate lifelink chump blockers while also doubling as a cheap discard outlet, but there's probably still better options out there.
11 months ago
Here are some suggestions:
Card Draw: Laelia, the Blade Reforged, Morbid Opportunist, Keep Watch, Breya's Apprentice, Moonveil Regent, Smothering Abomination, Reconnaissance Mission, Necrologia, Future Sight, Kothophed, Soul Hoarder, Will Kenrith, Harvester of Souls, Ruin Grinder, Deepfathom Skulker, Sandstone Oracle
Targeted Removal: Rapid Hybridization, Wild Magic Surge, Terminate, Resculpt, Reality Shift, Forbid, Daring Apprentice, Transmogrifying Wand, Ravenous Chupacabra, Chaos Defiler, Glorybringer, Mystic Confluence, Necron Deathmark, Reaper from the Abyss, Rowan Kenrith, Curtains' Call, Duplicant, Meteor Golem
Synergy: Ghoulish Procession, Jadar, Ghoulcaller of Nephalia, Drana, Liberator of Malakir, Blight Mound, Braids, Arisen Nightmare, Fleshbag Marauder, Gravelighter, Irenicus's Vile Duplication, Magus of the Abyss, Anowon, the Ruin Sage, Ruthless Winnower, Ogre Slumlord
Threats: Quietus Spike, Elturel Survivors, Relentless Assault, Gratuitous Violence, Sarkhan the Masterless, Westgate Regent, Precursor Golem, Necropolis Regent, Walk the Aeons, Combustible Gearhulk, Embercleave, Sharding Sphinx, Angrath's Marauders
1 year ago
1 year ago
1 year ago
Here's what I'm currently thinking the plan'll be:
Should anyone find themselves in a state of astonished disagreement, please feel free to air your grievances in the comment section down below ;)
1 year ago
Some cuts/adds I'm pondering at the moment, getting back into this deck:
My whole recursion package needs to go. Emeria Shepherd doesn't have enough Plains to function properly, and the days of the Zacama, Primal Calamity combo are long since past. Once and Future is overcosted and replaceable... with the lovely Noxious Revival. This is probably the most direct upgrade, all the other cards I'm cutting (e.g. Shepherd) don't have straight-across replacements.
Nyxbloom Ancient may well be cut if I decide a card like Protean Hulk, Treeshaker Chimera, Voice of Many, or Combustible Gearhulk is better. The Ancient is just a generic value piece, and I'm trying to cut down as much on those as I can. It does, however, allow for some of the crazy-long turns that I take to work, so I'm really unsure if it's gonna go or not.
Greater Gargadon might come out for Towering Titan, as cracking into a vanilla 9/7 is a bit underwhelming. The Gargadon is great at being an uninteractable sac outlet, but I do like the trample grant on Towering Titan. Again, unsure.