As an additional cost to cast this spell, discard a card.
Draw two cards.
|Have (2)||goldshot20 , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819|
Printings View all
|Magic Game Night (GNT)||Common|
|Core Set 2019 (M19)||Common|
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Common|
|Conspiracy: Take the Crown (CN2)||Common|
|Shadows over Innistrad (SOI)||Common|
|Dragons of Tarkir (DTK)||Common|
|Khans of Tarkir (KTK)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Tormenting Voice occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.1%
All decks: 0.07%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%
Tormenting Voice Discussion
1 week ago
Blasphemous Act is probably good to cut, as it’ll almost always just be overkill. Will definitely kill your creatures too. Other than that, I would just say Tormenting Voice is a little underpowered, but the deck looks good to me!
1 week ago
Other things I'm surprised not to see in here: Teferi's Puzzle Box, Mindmoil, Arjun, the Shifting Flame. These don't necessarily combo with the Brallin side of the deck, but it DOES work with Shabraz. Not only that, this can help us get into other cards and keep fueling our draw and discard. I also personally don't like running Planeswalkers, but Dack Fayden can be pretty good. Faithless Looting on a body and then also stealing an artifact seems pretty good. Other cards I was surprised to not see were Thrill of Possibility, Cathartic Reunion, Frantic Search, Careful Study, Tormenting Voice, Rhystic Study, Jeskai Ascendancy, Whirlwind of Thought.
I'm curious as to why Shark Typhoon is in the deck though. A 6 Mana make an X/X Shark doesn't seem overly impressive when we only have small cantrip like spells. I also personally don't like Runehorn Hellkite, cause its either a 6 mana 5/5 with flying, or something we need to discard to then pay mana to wheel. I feel like the deck has a nice top end, but it lacks a lot of early game. We are basically hoping to get one of our commanders out ASAP, but it seems like we are hoping to hit a lot of ramp early on to then get someone out and THEN do our draw/discard thing.
Other fun things or cards not mentioned is Sigil of Sleep. Putting this on one of the pingers (Brallin, Glint-Horn Buccaneer, one of the Niv's) lets us begin to bounce creatures to players hands whenever we deal damage. So we start discarding cards, we can start returning problem threats to the player's hands. Tireless Tribe is an instant speed, repeatable discard outlet. Sure it doesn't do anything other than that, but it could be the difference between killing a person or not. Basilisk Collar/Loxodon Warhammer/Shadowspear are alternative ways to use Brallin like ping effects for things other than Infect (if play groups don't like it for example). This also fits into the "voltron" style of the deck, allowing intense lifegain. Early game cards we can add are Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip/Magus of the Bazaar. These lets us repeatedly draw and discard, and Jace can flip to allow us to flash back cards. Wild Research is a cool way to help tutor up our wincons from our enchantments or if we need a counterspell or something while synergizing with Brallin pinger effects. We could also include some of the hatebear like cards from white to help slow down our opponents in the early game if it comes down to it.
All in all, I like the deck idea. I LIKE flexible decks that can switch gears when it needs to, and isn't solely linear ("I tutor this card and win). You can play casually and just try to voltron Shabraz, or enable combo kills with Brallin. Other than a handful of cards, I am REALLY interested in possibly building this deck!
3 weeks ago
Rri's Greasy Suggestions
My understanding of the deck is that it's essentially a Sneak Attack style deck - put creatures in and muck face. The main goal with these suggestions is to get Kaalia of the Vast out by turn 2 or 3 and put more relevant threats down! Apologies if this isn't the most organized, but hope it helps.
Akroma, Angel of Fury - literally a 6/6 with firebreathing 90% of the time
Emeria Shepherd - even you complain about this one.
Kaalia, Zenith Seeker - Yes flavour, but fricken goofy card
Kambal, Consul of Allocation - What does gaining life do for you? I would only run him if you ran necropotence or equivalent
Mana-Charged Dragon - Nobody is paying into that lmao
Rakdos the Defiler - I get that you have big balls, but he's pretty much single use - I enjoy the meme though.
Iroas, God of Victory - I understand that he lets Kaalia get through, but that wouldn't be a problem if you could just get her out earlier.
Angel of Deliverance - If you're getting delirium with this deck at it's present state I'm super impressed.
Sorin, Grim Nemesis - There is better ways to draw cards and you can't cheat him into play
Karoo Lands: They are decent, but you're missing out on precious early mana when you run them.
Nephalia Academy - This is the most Cam card I have ever seen, run Rogue's Passage if you want colourless utility.
Vivid Meadow: Again slow, run a City of Ass in this slot
Armillary Sphere - If you are hell bent on this effect, run a Thaumatic Compass
Darksteel Ingot - 2 mana artifacts are way better for a turn 3 Kaalia.
Sunforger - Personally this doesn't do it for me, super mana intensive for the effect, especially when you have black for tutoring/card draw.
Instant and Sorceries
Ghostly Prison - You have fatties to smack people in face, if they swing at you, swing at them harder - or block :^)
Aura of Silence - You aren't on the stax path my son and you can find more efficient instant speed removal!
Akroma's Vengeance - Austere Command
Diabolic Tutor - Demonic Tutor
Orim's Thunder & Return to Dust - I would suggest just running a less expensive removal, or more flexible removal eg. Disenchant or Chaos Warp
I would suggest cards that more aggressively use your life total, you're playing an agro strategy and want to be firing on all cylinders!!
Card Draw and Tutoring
Necropotence - Draw a shit ton of cards, and more selection of what you want to put down with Kaalia.
Painful Truths, Sign in Blood, Night's Whisper - Efficient card draw!
Faithless Looting, Tormenting Voice, Thrill of Possibility - Slot in these if you are planning on going a stronger recursion route.
Wishclaw Talisman - Fun tutor!
Enlightened Tutor - Finds you boots, sword, or whatever else you may need.
Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor - Need I say more?
Gamble - Put all your money on red lmao
Mausoleum Secrets & Diabolic Intent – Conditional Tutors which seem decent in this deck.
Vilis, Broker of Blood - This card is insane, especially when you get to cheat him out.
Razaketh, the Foulblooded - Turns Kaalia into a huge toolbox, also really strong in the recursion route.
Archfiend of Despair - Doubles damage!!
Rakdos, Lord of Riots - Reduces the cost of your big creatures, letting you actually play them after you swing.
Sire Of Insanity - Discarding everyone's hand is pretty good for you, as this deck should be pretty good at top decking.
Scourge of the Throne & Hellkite Charger - More combat - wins with Sword of Feast and Famine!!
Resolute Archangel - A lot of the cards I'm suggesting are pretty hard your life total, resetting to 40 with a Necropotence out is pretty gross.
Sneak Attack - Does pretty much the same thing as Kaalia.
Karmic Guide, Reya Dawnbringer, Primevals' Glorious Rebirth, Animate Dead, Living Death, Phyrexian Reclamation - Recursion is super strong, plus you run a shit ton of legendaries for rebirth. As an aside, Leonin Relic-Warder gives infinite ETB with Animate Dead - something to keep in mind.
Legion's Initiative - Pretty flexible protection, also making Kaalia a 3/3 is pretty relevant.
Aggravated Assault - Even more combat, wins you the game with Sword of Feast and Famine.
Kaya's Ghostform - Leave it and forget it protection for Kaalia.
Talisman of Hierarchy, Talisman of Indulgence, Talisman of Conviction, Fellwar Stone - even potentially Mind Stone - 2 mana rocks are super good as they enable the turn 3 Kaalia.
Wayfarer's Bauble - An all star, also Kaalia turn 3.
Lotus Petal - SPEEDY
Nyx Lotus or Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx - A lot of your creatures have super high devotion, take advantage of that.
Caves of Koilos, Battlefield Forge, Sulfurous Springs, Sacred Foundry, Godless Shrine, Blood Crypt, Luxury Suite, Exotic Orchard, City of Brass, Rugged Prairie, Fetid Heath, Silent Clearing, Sunbaked Canyon, Tainted Field - or even more basics: Untapped coloured lands!!
1 month ago
Wild Guess seems pretty bad. Tormenting Voice effects usuaually aren't that good, with the exception of CR. Simian Spirit Guide can help you get some extra mana, but probably isn't worth it- however it still can be considered. I would think your mountain count is too low so I reccomend cutting 2 Wild Guess for more mana.
1 month ago
I love this deck! That lion is such a great build-around and it's nice to see a decent boros list for once.
In the early and mid-game, you will be doing a lot of cycling and will likely end up with a lot of excess lands that you won't know what to do with. I would recommend playing more red card draw spells that allow you to filter through them to find more cyclers. Cathartic Reunion and Tormenting Voice would fill in nicely.
In terms of protection, I would really recommend both Angelic Renewal and Benevolent Bodyguard. You can put both of these down before your Commander, which gives you layers of protection that you don't need to invest in reactively. Considering how important your Commander is to your strategy, this is definitely worth thinking about. Something like a well-timed Eland Umbra puts your Commander out of most burn range and is also a layer of protection against destroy effects. You might also consider Cho-Manno's Blessing, even if it's WW, the permanent protection at instant speed is as good as it gets.
One really good piece of tech you are missing is Library of Leng. No max hand size is nice, but being able to cycle a card and put on top of your library to draw it again is completely busted. This means that you can re-use the same card over and over again to trigger your Commander's ability for no extra cost. You could be dealing 2 and gaining 2 for as low as 3 mana whever you want.
In terms of removal, I would really rather see a Journey to Nowhere instead of Lightning Bolt. Oblivion Ring also deals with a lot more than Disenchant.Faith's Fetters is pretty much a staple of White Removal in PDH. They are great ways to remove commanders, since you can then pick them up with something like Kor Skyfisher.
Kor Cartographer is another staple ramp spell for White decks. You're scraping the bottom of the barrel with some of your ramp, so this could be an easy swap.
Your hand should stay be pretty full, so Martyr of Ashes could do a lot of work for you.
I don't really like the Pinger sub-theme. Your Commander already represents tons of removal and damage that you have access to at any time. I think those slots would be better served as protection, board wipes and card draw.
I've never played Bonder's Ornament, but it looks... kinda bad. How has it played out in your experience?
Great deck overall!
1 month ago
Humble Defector - Khorvath's Fury - Vance's Blasting Cannons Flip - Tormenting Voice - Faithless Looting - Cathartic Reunion - Thrill of Possibility - Outpost Siege - Wild Guess - Shreds of Sanity - Staff of Nin - Farsight Mask - Tamiyo's Journal - Seer's Sundial - Ghirapur Orrery - Loreseeker's Stone - Magnifying Glass
Not owned but worth considering:
I really like Chandra, Flamecaller. Seems like planeswalkers would be hard to defend though?
2 months ago
I have been brewing Alesha in the competitive scene for over a year and playing in tournaments weekly. Here are my thoughts.
- Don't run lands that enter tapped in competitive. Don't run mana rocks that enter tapped in competitive.
- The Ravnica bounce lands are tempting, but they enter tapped. They also really hurt when your opponent plays Blood Moon or Back to Basics, both of which are competitive staples. They are also 2-for-1 on yourself when an opponent uses a Strip Mine or Wasteland.
- When you run this many combos to win, you risk drawing lower quality pieces during the game. For example, if you start with the A part of one combo, and the B part of another, then draw the A part of a third combo, you now have 3 cards that are dead in your hand. All of your combos except Kiki jiki + Bellringer require 3 pieces to function as well, and all 3 pieces are required on the board or in the yard to hit the combo. Requiring 3 pieces means its easier for an opponent to remove one or counter one while you are trying to get the combo assembled. You should consider cutting down on the number of combos you run to help you hit the better combos you already have, more reliably. My first cut for the combos would be the Anafenza combo, since it is not always 100% guaranteed to fire correctly.
- I highly recommend running all Thrill of Possibility Wild Guess Cathartic Reunion Tormenting Voice, they generate big card advantage by throwing away creatures you can recur easily with Alesha.
- I recommend re-evaluating your hate bears on the list for the current meta. Tomok does not stop the Gitrog/Dakmor combo, and is only hating out a small number of cards. Kataki is not actually stopping combos, just making them take longer to get to. Kambal stops storm decks, but most will be able to remove him, and storm decks are not in the meta right now. The scariest combo is Demonic Consultation + Thassa's Oracle. I recommend Rule of Law Ethersworn Canonist and Eidolon of Rhetoric, which accomplish slowing on most decks while also blocking the current fastest combo. You also have some other holes in your hatebear/stax plan. You don't have any way to remove graveyards, and you don't run very many "hard stop" effects, you run mostly tax and delay effects.
- I would add more interaction. Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast are both relatively cheap in dollars and extremely effective. You will see blue in almost every competitive pod. On top of protecting your own cards from counterspells, they also get rid of scary cards like Rhystic Study and can stop Thassa's Oracle while its on the stack. I'd also recommend more removal in general. Check out Aura of Silence, it has a nice tax effect, removes two different permanent types, and recurs with Sun Titan.
- My last recommend is to acquire Imperial Recruiter. It layers your deck by being a one card out to finding a combo. Imperial Recruiter fetches Kiki jiki, kiki copies Recruiter to fetch Bellringer, Bellringer untaps Kiki to start the combo. It means if you only have 1 tutor in hand and 0 combo pieces, you can still find your entire combo by tutoring for Imperial Recruiter. Recruiter also fetches relevant hatebears in a pinch if you can't combo out yet. It also recurs off Alesha if you have sac outlets or any way to kill it.