Ob Nixilis Reignited
Planeswalker — Nixilis
+1: Draw a card and you lose 1 life.
-3: Drestroy target creature.
-8: Target opponent gets an emblem with "Whenever a player draws a card, you lose 2 life."
|Have (2)||gildan_bladeborn , Obsolete|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Ob Nixilis Reignited Discussion
1 month ago
Archfiend of Depravity Archfiend of Despair Charmbreaker Devils Defiler of Souls Dread Cacodemon It That Betrays Mogis, God of Slaughter Reaper from the Abyss Rune-Scarred Demon Sheoldred, Whispering One Sin Prodder Skirsdag High Priest Sower of Discord Woebringer Demon Liliana's Contract Angrath, the Flame-Chained Liliana of the Dark Realms Ob Nixilis Reignited Dreadbore Commander's Sphere Elbrus, the Binding Blade Flip Rakdos Signet Sol Ring Bedevil
2 months ago
I've been playing monoblack in EDH for a while! So, I have some advice I can offer that I hope will help you out!
Land base: 35 should be enough, consider some utility lands: Maze of Ith Cabal Coffers (get it while it is cheap!) maybe some land destruction like Field of Ruin, Wasteland, Ghost Quarter, Strip Mine, etc. Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx Temple of the False God Cabal Stronghold Castle Locthwain Rogue's Passage
Equipment to boost your general:
Sword of War and Peace, life gain and protection Sword of Light and Shadow, recursion and protection Sword of Hearth and Home, protection, blink your ETB kill a guy creatures, ramp Sword of Feast and Famine, expensive, but super good Lashwrithe: ouch Vorpal Sword: haha double ouch Blackblade Reforged Sword of Truth and Justice Sword of the Animist
I might try to add a few more win cons in your creature base
Ramp and utility suggestions
Bolas's Citadel: super good but can be rough if you aren't gaining a lot of life Caged Sun: super good ramp and works when your opponents tap Skyclave Relic: better than darksteel ingot Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools: good for draw and blockers Grief: hand control Thought-Knot Seer: hand control Ob Nixilis Reignited: stayed in my chainer deck for a while until Tevesh came along
Grim Tutor and Mastermind's Acquisition over diabolic tutor (depends on you play group if they allow a "wish board," some don't, I run acquisition but may pick up a grim tutor for groups not okay with it)
I might lose some of the instant speed removal for:
Some general removal as monoblack suffers from inability to handle certain types like enchant and artifact:
Tattered Mummy: Not that good, more consistent ways of grinding out damage Skyclave Shade: Bloodghast is better 1x Skeletal Grimace: I get the point, but there are better cards 1x Underworld Dreams: I am iffy on this one, Painful Quandary and Polluted Bonds may be better or good additions to complement it. The entire instant pool save hero's downfall and malicious affliction, there are better killspells Expedition Map: really only useful for setting up tron or land combos Liliana, Waker of the Dead: Liliana Vess works better
The True Meaning of Death and Taxes: this is my chainer death and taxes reanimator list, check it out for suggestions, I have a lot of cards in the maybeboard I have considered and even used at one point that may spark some ideas.
2 months ago
I think Karmic Justice is a metagame consideration. If your tables play a lot of destroy over other forms of removal I do think its fine, if a little weak. It has the big issue of not affecting folks killing walkers through combat and not doing anything if folks play around it. Its part of why I like things like Carth, and Leovold before him, which offer card advantage in exchange for your permanents being removed. If you want to use Karmic Justice to protect your other enchantments I would suggest Sterling Grove instead.
As for AFR, nothing I saw there really interested me for this deck. I think Lolth, Spider Queen has the tools, Card Advantage + Protection, but I'm unsure she has some of the inevitability that many of the other walkers have. She reminds me a lot of Ob Nixilis Reignited , which I cut for similar reasons some time ago. A similar card that I think is a better version, which I am always considering for this deck is Liliana, Dreadhorde General , which does have that crucial inevitability.
4 months ago
5 months ago
I love demon deck ideas. The only drawback is alot of demons have REALLY shitty negative stuff they do as well.
Griselbrand get this boi in there. he fucks. hard. I'd also def keep the Master of Cruelties and maybe even throw in some Lightning Greaves to protect your heavy hitters. Sire Of Insanity also a fuckin sick demon who works well with top decking if you have Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire out. Demigod of Revenge is also a sick ass card thats easy to play with your basic mana set up. Also maybe consider 1-2 Ob Nixilis Reignited for some late game card draw and variation to keep opponents on their toes.
Biggest advice would be to dial back on some of the demons/devils just for the sake of having them. Some of em are trash. For example you could ditch the Tibalt's Rager for maybe some Spike Jester or Dreadhorde Butcher
5 months ago
Hey Walrighti, +1!
Congrats on your first deck! You have a lot of fun cards in here and it looks great! I imagine you want to tune and make it even more efficient so here are some ideas...
Add 3 categories: #Combo, #Lifegain, and #Evasion; and then sort your maybeboard the same way you've done your mainboard to easily rank your choices within a category (By "combo" I mean all your "if-then" cards like Trudge Garden that are slower and don't work by themselves). Remove #Creatures (most of them are #Combo).
Avoid most cards above 4 cmc... Willowdusk is fast and fragile, so play into that... Also, prioritize cards that can do 2 or more things or that give value on ETB... If you have pet cards that don't really fit and that hurt to cut, put them in a "I'll build that theme later" list.
-1 Pelakka Wurm
-1 Ezzaroot Channeler ... cut the fatties.
-1 Decree of Pain ... too slow
-1 Bow of Nylea ... meh
-1 Sangromancer ... amazing card but doesn't trigger when you need it to.
-1 Venser's Journal ... also amazing, but too conditional for this build
-1 Ranger's Path ... all your ramp should be on turn 2
-1 Temple of the False God ... this card is almost never good
+1 Devoted Druid ... this card is a beast
+1 Talisman of Resilience ... #Ramp
+1 Llanowar Elves ... #Ramp... the elves enable Willowdusk combos on turn 3.
+1 Viridian Joiner ... #Ramp... #Combo
+1 Killing Wave
+1 Massacre Girl ... #Wipe
+1 Beast Within ... #Removal
+1 Golgari Charm ... #Evasion
~1 Rancor ... Trample and haste are important... #Evasion
~1 Destined ... the choices are really good.
+1 Soul Channeling ... #Combo with Willowbark and stick to the board...
~1 Phyrexian Processor ... fun?
~1 Lurking Evil ... maybe?
~1 Solidarity of Heroes ... #Combo
~1 Ooze Flux ... tokens at instant speed?
~1 Retribution of the Ancients ... removal?
+1 Thought Gorger ... (leaves)
+1 Return of the Wildspeaker ... #Draw
+1 Triskelion ... #Combo
+1 Nighthawk Scavenger ... #Fatty
...Always play at least 10 ramp spells under 3 cmc.
...Playtest and make sure Willowbark consistently makes a fatty (with evasion) before turn 6-7.
Happy building :)
RicketyEng on None
5 months ago
Some clarification of Obby's timeline:
1) Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath conquered his home plane then sparked.
2) On his travels/conquests of other planes at some point he was attracted by The Chain Veil 's power. However he was cursed by it when he touched it and started becoming a demon.
3) He travelled to Zendikar in hopes of using its powerful and wild mana to stop or reverse his demonic transformation.
4) Upon his arrival on the plane its protector, Nahiri, the Lithomancer , implanted a hedron in his forehead which robbed him of his spark and caused his wings to wither and eventually die. Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
5) After a few thousand years Jace, the Mind Sculptor was trying to figure out how to help Garruk, the Veil-Cursed . He extracted the hedron from Ob Nixilis's forehead and managed to implant it in Garruk's arm. In both Ob Nixilis and Garruk the hedron had the effect of subduing the veil's curse. It brought some clarity to the mind of Garruk, Apex Predator .
6) I remember reading a story where Ob Nixilis, Unshackled was buried alive and he very gradually dug his way down and toward a power source he could sense. This is how he found the Khalni Heart which he first tried to use to reignite his spark before Nissa, Voice of Zendikar stopped him.
7) Utterly sick and tired of Zendikar at this point, and buried alive once more after his duel with Nissa, Nixilis vowed vengeance on the entire plane. He hijacked the Aligned Hedron Network when the Zendikari momentarily managed to trap Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger . Ob Nixilis Reignited managed to siphon off enough power from Ulamog to reignite his spark. He then broke Ulamog out of the hedron prison and summoned Kozilek to the surface. He took the time to easily defeat Nissa, Gideon, and Jace before leaving, but Chandra showed up in time to rescue them. At that point it wasn't worth the effort to stick around for any more petty vengeance so he left.
8) Ob Nixilis, the Hate-Twisted took part in the War of the Spark. He joined Karn, Samut, and Dack Fayden on their mission to close Tezzeret's Planar Bridge from the Amonkhet side (they travelled through the portal itself because of The Immortal Sun ). Tezzeret didn't put up much of a fight. Nixilis burned large swaths of the remaining Eternal army before planeswalking away.