Planeswalker — Karn
+4: Target player exiles a card from his or her hand.
-3: Exile target permanent.
-14: Restart the game, leaving in exile all non-Aura permanent cards exiled with Karn Liberated. Then put those cards onto the battlefield under your control.
|Have (2)||, gildan_bladeborn|
|Want (7)||isharpu , darksteelgiant , DrPizzaq , arson_is_fun , LukeBit , Forkbeard , Zondraxor|
Printings View all
|Ultimate Masters (UMA)||Mythic Rare|
|Ultimate Masters Promo (UMAP)||Mythic Rare|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Mythic Rare|
|New Phyrexia (NPH)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Karn Liberated occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.09%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%
Karn Liberated Discussion
4 days ago
Secondary win con is any of my Ashnod's Altar + Nim Deathmantle combos. They take longer to set up, and they don't win right away as the tokens don't have haste; however, I thought it would be a fun combo to try out. That said..additional protection / recursion may necessary if I continue with this combo.
Aetherflux Reservoir + Bolas's Citadel + Sensei's Divining Top. Haven't played with this combo to much yet, but so far top and citadel offer great utility even if I don't assemble all 3 pieces of the win con (Further testing in the works.)
As far as artifact / enchantment removal I currently have Karn Liberated, Ratchet Bomb, and Pharika's Libation. Im considering adding Oblivion Stone or Nevinyrral's Disk. I may play Ugin, the Spirit Dragon if/when I get my hands on one.
5 days ago
Profet93. Thank you for your advice!
You're right about how I started this build. I definitely googled a bunch of mono-black combos and smashed them into this deck. Feedback like yours is exactly what I was hoping for.
That said..I've cut out a few combo's and added a few of your recommendations.
Imp's Mischief looks awesome and I cant wait to play it!
Rings of Brighthearth - I recently purchased one of these, but it has yet to arrive, I'll definitely add it.
Will play around with Panharmonicon.
Thanks again for your input.
2 weeks ago
Introducing the synonyms/nicknames system to alleviate all those "wtf was that one land of that one cycle named?" problems that plague you.
This system is simple. It is designed to redirect terms that you typed out that match a synonym/nickname of a card, to that card name. This lets you never have to remember the name "Seachrome Coast" and can instead just type out "WU Fastland" (as an example). Note that this only works in text edit entries on deck lists and inventory, not the live edit or the card search forms.
There is a lot of other things that are utilised here as well.
- Godzilla Names
- Non-American Spellings
- Common Nicknames
- Common Misspellings
- Redirections of Misspelled Submissions
- Each side of a split card as a synonym (unless they already exist as a card).
Not needing to know the name of each card in a land/artifact cycle is a big boon, but you still need to know the nickname of that cycle and the syntax. For lands/mana rocks/the swords of X and Y at the present moment it is always "XY Nickname" or "YX Nickname". Examples:
- WU Fastland
- GR BFZ
- GW ABUR Dual Land
- BW Fetch
For 2 colour lands, it is always the two colour letters, followed by the nickname, and then followed by the option to have the world land either connected to the nickname or not. (these are all viable options for example: "WU Fast", "UW Fastland", "UW Fast Land".) For 3 colour lands, it is only the primary order of colour letters you see on cards, or the Alara/Khans name. (WUB Lair, Mardu Triome as examples.) Swords and other artifact cycles follow the same setup (though swords can also be "Sword of GB" or "Sword of G and B"), and mono colour land cycles use the same setup just with only one letter. Note that none of these are plural, so don't put that s in. Colourless cards that are a part of a cycle use C/Colorless/Colourless.
Some of these cycles don't have well defined names yet (like BBD) and some of these cycles have had too many names that people constantly fight over so there was no point in bothering to put them all in and instead I just used the TLA (specifically BFZ).
The primary purpose of this is to make the ability to tag cards and edit decks/inventory far more robust than what it has been. Tappedout doesn't presently have a spellchecker, and to be fair most sites don't. It's not an easy feature to implement. So with this synonyms/nicknames feature, we can alleviate some of those aggravations of misspellings or different ways to spell a word by making them valid targets and redirecting them to the right card name. Another benefit of this is the ability to give cards shorthands or nicknames when the community largely doesn't remember the actual name of a card, just their shorthand. We have all been hit with "wtf is that land's name again?" when we know for a fact that it's just "the blue and white shadows over innistrad reveal land". This saves the step of having to open up a search engine to figure out the card name, and in general speeds up and makes the process of building decks and inventory, a lot more enjoyable.
Cycles that currently have nicknames: Show
- ABUR Duals as ABUR/Duals/ABUR Duals
- MDR Artifact Lands as Artifact Lands
- AKH Bike Lands as Bikes/Bicycles/Bicyclings/Cycle Lands/Cycling Lands
- BFZ Lands as BFZ/BFZ Lands
- RAV Guildhalls as Guildhalls
- SHM/EVE Lands as Filters
- VIS Karoos as Karoos/Bouncelands
- RAV Karoos as Karoos/Bouncelands
- MH1 Lands as Horizons/Canopy Lands
- SOI Lands as SOI Lands/Reveal Lands
- Swords of X and Y as XY Swords/Swords of XY/Swords of X and Y
- Temples as Temples/Scrylands
- IKO Triomes as Triomes/Tricycles/Cycles/Cyclings
A lot of the cycle synonyms are meant to intuitive and robust so that you won't even have to think about knowing what the exact written synonym actually is and still be able to get it right on the first try, though it will take time to reach a point in which this is 100% true. As an example of scope, each recognized nickname for a cycle creates 6 entries for each given card in that cycle. So the AKH lands have 30 entries for each card in that cycle, resulting in a total of 150 entries. The Triomes have the same amount, but if I were to add each individual string combination of the colour letters (WUB, BUW, WBU etc) then that count would increase by 45 for each entry, resulting 75 entries for each one, totalling at 375 entries for the whole cycle.
Nicknames will usually be things like "Snappy", "Bolt", "Path", "Bob", "FoW", etc. They are to be commonly used by the larger community as a whole, not what your FNM/play group exclusively uses (though this isn't a hard set in stone as I'm not omniscient).
Here's a list of nicknames that I have. Show
- Aether Vial: Vial
- Aetherflux Reservoir: Dome Dome
- Assassin's Trophy: Ass Trophy
- Birds of Paradise: Birds, BoP
- Bloodbraid Elf: BBE
- Brimstone Trebuchet: Bucket
- Cavalcade of Calamity: Cavalcade
- Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh Flip: Baby Chandra
- Chandra Nalaar: Zippotricks McEdgelord
- Charming Prince: Prince Charming
- Collected Company: CoCo
- Dark Confidant: Bob
- Dark Ritual: Rit
- Demonic Tutor: DT
- Dig Through Time: DTT
- Eternal Witness: E-Wit, E-Witness
- Explosive Vegetation: Explosive Veggies
- Field of Ruin: FoR
- Force of Will: FoW
- Ghost Quarter: GC
- Gilded Goose: Goose
- Giver of Runes: Mommy, Stepmom
- Goblin Charbelcher: Belcher, Charbelcher
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel: Gary
- Griselbrand: Grizzy B
- Hypnotic Specter: Hippie
- Inquisition of Kozilek: IoK
- Jace, Cunning Castaway: Sexy Jace
- Jace, the Mindsculptor: Jace, JtMS
- Jace, Wielder of Mysteries: Lab Jace,
- Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip: Literal Actual Baby Jace
- Jace Beleren: Party Jace
- Karn Liberated: Karn
- Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker: Kiki, Kiki Jiki, Mirror Breaker
- Kitchen Finks: Finks
- Kytheon, Hero of Akros Flip: Baby Gideon, Baby Gids
- Laboratory Maniac: Lab Man, Lab Maniac
- Life from the Loam: Loam
- Lightning Bolt: Bolt
- Lightning Helix: Helix
- Lightning Strike: Strike
- Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip: Baby Lili
- Liliana, the Last Hope: Last Hope
- Liliana of the Veil: Lili, LotV
- Lion's Eye Diamond: LED
- Llanowar Elves: Dork, Elf
- Mother of Runes: Mom
- Nissa, Vastwood Seer Flip: Baby Nissa
- Oblivion Ring: O-Ring
- Oko, Thief of Crowns: Oko
- Path to Exile: Path, PtE
- Pia and Kiran Nalaar: Chandra's Parents, Mom and Dad, Ma and Pa, Pia and Kiran, Parents
- Pia Nalaar: Chandra's Mom, Pia
- Primeval Titan: Prime Time
- Prodigal Sorcerer: Tim
- Sakura-Tribe Elder: STE, Steve
- Savage Punch: Bear Punch
- Scalding Tarn: Tarn
- Scavenging Ooze: Scooze
- Sensei's Divining Top: Top
- Settle the Wreckage: Settle
- Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon: Skittles
- Smuggler's Copter: Copter, Thopter Copter
- Snapcaster Mage: Snapcaster, Snappy
- Solemn Simulacrum: Sad Robot
- Sorin, Solemn Visitor: Sad Sorin
- Splinter Twin: Twin
- Swords to Plowshares: Swords
- Tarmogoyf: Goyf, Goyfy, Tarmo
- Tectonic Edge: Tec Edge, TecEdge
- Teferi, Hero of Dominaria: 5feri, T5feri
- Teferi, Time Raveler: 3feri, T3feri
- The Gitrog Monster: Gitrog, HypnoToad, Hypno Toad
- Thing in the Ice Flip: Titi
- Torrential Gearhulk: Fatcaster
- True-Name Nemesis: TNM, TNN, True-Name
- Ugin, the Spirit Dragon: Eugene, Ugin
- Wrenn and Six: W6, Wand6, Wn6
Here's a list of non-american spellings I have in: Show
Here's a list of things that is in the works to do. Show
- All triple coloured land cycles (triomes, lairs, trilands) to have an entry for each of their letter combinations. (Example, bant lands would have WUG, GUW, WGU, GWU, UGW, UWG.)
- All dual coloured land cycles will have the ravnican guild names to replace the two colours as an option.
- All land cycles will have the TLA as an option to replace the nickname.
- All land cycles to have "Nickname XY" format.
- More non-american spellings.
- More common misspellings.
- Cards that have or do not have the word "and", to have a synonym of the opposite.
- Synonym that is a version of the card name but without punctuation.
- Nicknames of all the cards with commas that ignores everything past the comma, provided that it is unique.
- Fringe/old land cycles.
- A lot of mana rock cycles.
A card can have any number of synonyms/nicknames. But only one synonym/nickname can be tied to a card. So if a new card/land cycle gets printed that has covers a misspelling (like an UNcard might) or has that nickname as it's actual card name, those synonyms will get removed (as an example, Snapcaster Mage cannot have Snap as a nickname). We are also looking to limit the amount of times a synonym has to get removed so nicknames of cards during their presence in the standard formats are not likely to be put in, as they become forgotten or even re-used when they rotate out. These are also done manually so sometimes a change might just take a while to do if it encompasses a large number of cards or a large number of synonyms.. We also won't be going through alternate language as possible synonyms because WotC doesn't nearly double check duplicate card names for foreign languages as well as they do for English cards.
This is not something on the card submission form, so it is not available to edit for any user.
If you know of something missing like common misspellings or common non-American spellings that will be needed, or cycle syntaxes that you tried to use but didn't work, post them here and I'll review them for possible inclusion in the future.
EDIT: Before you ask for a nickname etc to be added:
- Check if it exists first by trying it out.
- Check if the larger community recognizes it, this is done by going around discords, lgs' and other forums about that nickname.
- Check if it has any nsfw, discriminatory or derogatory terminology, we straight up will not allow these.
This isn't a system for your pet nickname that your local playgroup uses. This is a system that can utilize nicknames that naturally grew organically out of continued use from the larger mtg community as a whole. This isn't a "which nicknames do you think this system could use" but rather "which nicknames that are used across the world that we have missed".
1 month ago
Why is this a tron deck? It seems like with all the coloured mana etc, tron really mostly just benefits Ugin, the Spirit Dragon and Karn Liberated. Other than that, drawing a ton of colourless mana when you really would like to have coloured mana to play your other walkers, and activate Golo's ability seems a bit rough. I would recommend either moving away from the tron archetype, or including a few more cards that benefit from getting all that colourless mana.
1 month ago
Good idea! I completely forgot about Surgical Extraction! I wanted to put a Karn Liberated in the deck, but I felt Karn Liberated is more for Mono-Green Tron and Mono-Blue Tron, which are slower decks. Trust me, I felt like taking out a Karn, the Great Creator for one Karn Liberated, but ended up leaving Karn Liberated out.
1 month ago
I'm sure you've considered this, but wouldn't at least 1 Karn Liberated give the deck a bit of a boost? The deck seems more mid paced than pure aggro, so I could see him doing work in terms of tipping the scales for your win. Also, I really think that a Surgical Extraction in the sideboard is a really good idea, particularly for a colourless deck like this.
1 month ago
i don't think lurrus will be banned. i'm not nearly as worried about turn 3 lurrus as i am turn 3 Karn Liberated
1 month ago
The avg cmc seems a bit high, although you might not be able to do much about that. Koth of the Hammer seems a bit weak since you don’t have a lot of mountains. I would try to add Karn Liberated and Karn, Scion of Urza to help with colored mana issues. Lands that can double as ramp, as effectively as they can, like Ancient Tomb and Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx should be added. Cabal Coffers can also be very good but you would likely want to run more swamps and black planeswalkers to take advantage of that more, otherwise you are relying on urborg only, and that’s certainly not effective enough here. I would recommend utility lands also, like Strip Mine and Maze of Ith but there’s the color issue, and maze isn’t a land without urborg.