Creature — Demon
When Dread Cacodemon enters the battlefield, if you cast it from your hand, destroy all creatures your opponents control, then tap all other creatures you control.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Dread Cacodemon Discussion
2 weeks ago
1 month ago
I think that you could get better cards for the mana cost by cutting sorin Siege Dragon and Dread Cacodemon for more effective cards like Lord of the Void Rakdos, Lord of Riots and Linvala, Keeper of Silence. Dread Cacodemon wont trigger off of Kaalia because you aren't casting it. Hellkite Tyrant is also a good one as most decks run several artifacts. I can give you more suggestions when I have more time!
1 month ago
I would recommend adding in several more mana rocks and a few more lands as well. There are also lots of cards in the deck that pretty much don't help you and can be cut. I will list some below:
Serra's Blessing - vigilance to all your guys doesn't really do much in general, especially when they come in tapped with Kaalia. Something like Dragon Tempest that gives Kaalia haste would be a much more useful enchantment.
Dread Cacodemon - it doesn't usually do anything other than be a vanilla 8/8, which isn't really what you are looking for in a Kaalia deck. You want your creatures to provide utility, be hard to get rid of, or be so destructive that your opponents are forced to get rid of them or lose. This could technically be hardcast I guess, but those occasions will be extremely rare. It doesn't destroy stuff when Kaalia cheats it out. This block applies to Reiver Demon as well.
Exalted Angel - unless you're super set on playing the entirety of FtV Angels, this card just isn't good enough. Other underwhelming cards I would consider cutting include Seraph of the Sword, Serra Angel, Serra Avenger, Voice of All, Subjugator Angel, Sunblast Angel, and Soulflayer
Firemane Avenger - Battalion is a little harder to do than you might think, and it has the problem of being a "when this attacks" Trigger, which doesn't happen when it comes down with Kaalia. The trigger not happening, by the way, can very easily be abused to great effect. See Rakdos the Defiler and Master of Cruelties (the latter of which, if unblocked and brought in with Kaalia, will immediately drop your opponent's life to 1, at which point Kaalia will deal two and kill them). I would cut Mana-Charged Dragon for similar reasons.
Things I would recommend adding:
A ton of two-cost ramp: signets, etc. It gets Kaalia out a turn earlier, unlikely Darksteel Ingot.
At LEAST two more lands. Probably more.
Swiftfoot Boots - slightly worse lightning greaves is still amazing
Graveyard recursion like Unburial Rites - sadly, your stuff will die :( Recursion mitigates that!
You could definitely be a lot more liberal with cuts than I have suggested here, but these are the edits that jumped out at me most. Check out my Kaalia deck Dies Irae for more inspiration! I'm very happy with the creatures I've narrowed that deck down to, so feel free to look through those for replacements for cards you have found not especially useful.
Finally, being mardu, you could consider a Sunforger package. Always a fun time.
I could go on quite a bit more about Kaalia things, but I am out of time. Check out my deck or ask questions if you want more help!
Thanks for reading and best of luck!
2 months ago
Bathe in Light, Cleansing Beam, Congregate, Master Warcraft, Wrecking Ball, Death by Dragons, Syphon Flesh, Pyrohemia, Righteous Cause, Vow of Malice, Vow of Lightning, Anger, Avatar of Slaughter, Bladewing the Risen, Dread Cacodemon, Duergar Hedge-Mage, Fallen Angel, Gwyllion Hedge-Mage, Oni of Wild Places, Razorjaw Oni, Reiver Demon, Mortuary Mire, Orzhov Basilica, Boros Garrison, Rakdos Carnarium, Zoetic Cavern
3 months ago
Some cards you might want to consider:
Mana Rocks: Even in a two color deck, RRBB is hard to get on turn 4. Chromatic Lantern helps with that. Similarly, you might want some cheap mana rocks like Rakdos Signet, Fire Diamond, and Charcoal Diamond.
Early damage: You have some good creatures to make sure Rakdos comes down early, but I might also recommend some noncreature sources of early damage. Things like Seal of Fire and lim-dl's hex so you can still have something if someone drops an early wipe. I don't know how many times you've played Rakdos so far looking at how long this deck has been here, but you're the early threat in most games. Your opponents will try to stop you early.
Also, I'd recommend Heartless Hidetsugu. It's nuts in this deck.
Also also, speaking of protection, I'd suggest Lightning Greaves. The more things you have to make sure Rakdos doesn't die, the better. Because nothing sucks more than having him killed at the end of your combat step.
Card draw: Black and Red have some great card draw opportunities. Stuff like Disciple of Bolas and Knollspine Dragon work great in a deck like this. Kozilek, Butcher of Truth is a perfect add as well. Nothing is quite as good as playing Rune-Scarred Demon for Kozilek and then playing Disciple of Bolas to sac Kozi. That's 16 beautiful cards in one turn. Bloodgift Demon would also work well because it's a cheap attacker that either draws cards or guarantees damage.
Colorless creatures: In general I'd try to stay away from anything with more than 2 mana symbols in its cost. There are exceptions like Dread Cacodemon, but Rakdos works best when you can slam down as many creatures as possible.
Some stuff to consider removing:
Winter Orb: A fantastic idea, actually, and one I didn't think about previously. But right now since most of your creatures have multiple mana symbols, I think it's hurting you. But bravo for thinking of this. I'm totally going to steal this tech.
Feel free to look at my list for other ideas. It's definitely a "Go Big or Go Home" deck, but I love it.
6 months ago
YawgWill seems very good now that think about it, I was trying to work in more recursion elements, but I couldn't think of any that wouldn't require me to clutter up the deck with discard outlets, YawgWill could be a good way to incorporate that will out devoting too many deck slots.
As for Kaervek and Massacre, I like them in casual Rakdos, but you said it, they're not competitive enough. Kaervek is punishing, but taking damage doesn't actually stop anyone from playing spells, so they're just going to remove him and move on. As for Massacre, I considered it, but I can play Dread Cacodemon here for the same price, so I figured it was better to have a board wipe that dealt with everything instead.
6 months ago
More wipes, you say? In Mono-Black? Here are some of my favorites:
I also have a mono-black Commander deck of my own that may provide you with some other ideas:
7 months ago
- Palace Siege (high cmc)
- Pestilence and Pyrohemia will easily be removed at the first board wipe, so I believe they aren't as good as you might think
- Grave Upheaval is outclassed by Torrent of Souls
- Skull Rend is fun, but I don't know if it's good enough.
- Urabrask the Hidden is expensive and I don't think you actually need him there
- Maga, Traitor to Mortals (I don't like it all that much... plus, the triple B cost could be bad)
- Most of the times, people will choose take damage from Combustible Gearhulk, so that you cannot draw cards. Even with Rakdos on the battlefield, that will probably still be the case, so the gearhulk is more useful if you fill your deck with reanimation options. It's a good card, but I don't know if it's all that useful here.
- I'm unsure about Lobber Crew too.
AS FOR THE MANA BASE:
- Too many ETB tapped lands in my opinion. They slow you down quite a bit for a deck that wishes to bring Rakdos to the table ASAP. Keep only the ones you actually need. Flamekin Village can be replaced by Hanweir Battlements. Smoldering Marsh isn't all that expensive and should work better than Rakdos Guildgate. Urborg Volcano is beautiful, but I say drop it. And Dragonskull Summit can replace one of your gainlands (I'd say Akoum Refuge since I like Bloodfell Caves). Spinerock Knoll can be quite interesting as well. Ancient Ziggurat is excellent in a creature-heavy deck. Rocky Tar Pit functions the same as an Evolving Wilds, but instead of ETB untapped -> sacrifice and put basic land tapped, it allows you to get an untapped land your next turn (meaning you could still draw a card first to see which color you will need).
- Prismatic Lens gives you an easy ramp and some color fixing when needed, and Talisman of Indulgence is great.
- Manaforge Cinder is good at color fixing as well.
- Rune-Scarred Demon, Sidisi, Undead Vizier and Dark Petition all seem great in a Rakdos Deck.
- You could also go for a classic Diabolic Tutor, Demonic Collusion or Increasing Ambition, but I think the three I suggested before would work better.
- Staff of Nin is almost auto-include. Even though it costs 6 mana, the tap->damage ability allows rakdos to be recast or, if he's in play, it gives you for your next creature spell.
- Read the Bones for the scry 2 + draw 2 is actually excellent.