|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Urza's Legacy (ULG)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Grim Monolith doesn't untap during your untap step.
: Add to your mana pool.
: Untap Grim Monolith.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (6)||Mousemke , miracle , Shiromakuro , CampbellStev , rockleemyhero , Azdranax|
|Want (8)||Hootiequack , jamesesdad , kyuuri117 , rainbowofdeath , pskinn01 , ryuzaki32667 , jeffffff , Big-Foot|
Grim Monolith Discussion
1 day ago
First of all, I love the deck! It seems very interesting and well thought out, there's nothing I can do to help you with better spells but I can assist with any mana problems and possibly suggesting an infinite combo for you;) (Also I would recommend adding in Paradox Engine because of all the tap triggers you have from your commander, so you could use her multiple times and then I would recommend adding in Fanning the Flames if you're down to get an infinite combo in here for the giggles)
1 week ago
Burgeoning and Exploration are kind of a waste for your deck since you aren’t running enough lands in the first place. They should probably be cut for lands or better mana rocks. Obviously if you have Mana Crypt, Mana Vault, and Grim Monolith you should add them. The speed they provide is insane, especially in a deck as expensive mana wise as yours is.
1 week ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
2 weeks ago
@Splitcell - I've considered the card but this particular build doesn't ramp very hard. That will change and I'll have to test the card at that time for it to have a fair chance.
I'm planning on upping my mana ramp but want to weed out underperformers to make room slowly. I'm probably going the artifact route for ramp and will eventually be adding Mana Vault, Grim Monolith, Talisman of Dominance, Signets, and probably Copy Artifact. I'm sad Pentad Prism doesn't sac when its counters are gone, that card would be nuts. Any suggestions anyone for ramp (other than Lion's Eye Diamond lol)?
2 weeks ago
Well, it's likely they'll only go up assuming you have card with actual demand behind them. Take something like Grim Monolith. It's not at all necessary for EDH decks, but it's a core ramp option in some high level decks. That price tag it holds doesn't really translate to its power, but idiots like me are willing to pay lots of money to get optimized ramp packages for their decks. It will retain value as it has real demand.
On the other hand, you have reserved list cards like Exorcist. It's not really played anywhere and it is only worth its price tag to people who want to own complete sets. Sometimes these types of cards spike like crazy. Someone might acquire all copies of the card they can buy online overnight and artificially cause the price of the card to skyrocket. Good luck trying to find 50 people who are willing to pay $80 for your copies of Exorcist. A lot of old (Alpha, Beta, Antiquities, etc.) and reserved list cards like this are currently spiking for no reason. These aren't nearly as good to old onto as cards that have real demand.
Still, it's likely your reserved list cards will retain value. MtG prices actually remained relatively stable or increased during the 2008 depression, which is something I don't think even Gold managed to do initially (even though it boomed back huge afterward). That speaks to the stability of card prices overall.
2 weeks ago
Oh My God. I love it. Get yourself a Gold-bordered Grim Monolith!
2 weeks ago
Would anyone be so kind and explain to me why Zur the Enchanter runs Power Artifact? I don't see a single outlet in the deck and sure it can be searched for with one attack and attached to a Grim Monolith on the field... But it does nothing apart from that or a one-time Candelabra of Tawnos while also being a very dead draw otherwise without grim... Only thing I see it do is to combat stax and avoid sphere effects. please explain :'(
3 weeks ago
The main cards to add for this effect would be:
Triskelion and Mikaeus, the Unhallowed for the most straightforward combo, and the Buried Alive you have to put them in, preferably with Rune-Scarred Demon. You recur the Demon fetching Vindicate, then bring the Mikaeus/Triskelion Combo out by sacing the Demon. This means Buried Alive can win the game with the commander as a one card combo. Phantasmagorian can be used if you end up with any number of the combo pieces in hand.
Other cards to add include Imperial Seal, Grim Tutor, Diabolic Intent, Culling the Weak, Dimir Machinations, Corpse Connoisseur, Mana Crypt, Mana Vault, Memnite, Shield Sphere, Ornithopter, Grim Monolith, Phyrexian Walker, Chrome Mox, Lotus Petal, Defense Grid, Dark Confidant, etc.
Cards you can drop: