|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Urza's Legacy (ULG)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Grim Monolith doesn't untap during your untap step.
: Add to your mana pool.
: Untap Grim Monolith.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Grim Monolith Discussion
1 day ago
Usually I just roll a die to decide who gets hit if no-one has blockers, or just choose the biggest guy/someone who is setting up an infinite combo. I don't really like locking people out either so i just end up balancing the annihilator trigger so everyone end up sacrificing similar amounts of permanents. It also allows me to play archenemy too ;)
As for mana rocks there's so much to choose from to suit your group, and most of them are pretty cheap unless you're getting the 0 cmc/moxen/Grim Monolithrocks. Colourless is pretty versatile and you can tune it up/down pretty easily if it starts getting too powerful in your group. I'm curious to see what you come up with :)
3 days ago
You might want to fit in some more mana rocks/dorks to better support the paradox engine (and brago with the rocks). Derevi is very good with some of the bigger mana rocks that don't untap, such as Basalt Monolith, Mana Vault, and Grim Monolith. In addition, Fellwar Stone, Talisman of Progress, and Talisman of Unity are some great 2-mana rocks. Noble Hierarch and Birds of Paradise are some strong mana dorks. Some other strong mana dorks include Somberwald Sage and Shaman of Forgotten Ways.
Some creatures that generate tokens on etb might be nice to synergize with Derevi and the flicker theme. Avenger of Zendikar is one of the best, and Geist-Honored Monk, Captain of the Watch, and Hornet Queen are some other strong options. There are some other good options that also have other nice effects. Knight-Captain of Eos can fog for a turn by sacrificing one of his tokens, while Whirler Rogue can make a creature unblockable by tapping down his spawn.
Your tap/untap shenanigan package is on the weaker side at the moment, but there are some nice options for you to consider. Nullmage Shepherd lets you tap your stuff to blow up artifacts/enchantments while synergizing nicely with tokens, and Adarkar Valkyrie protects your stuff and steal your opponent's. Reconnaissance is a great inclusion in any Derevi deck for giving your team pseudo-vigilance, but can also let you use an attacking creature's tap ability infinitely as long as its free. You can use this to generate infinite mana in the combat step with a mana dork, draw your deck with Arcanis, or activate Adarkar Valkyrie on every creature before wiping the board.
1 week ago
Okay, brace yourself. I'm going all out.
- P.S. Sorry that my inner spike ignores price...
Cards to Cut: Show
- You don't need two 8 drops. She doesn't give global support like Avacyn, and Avy is your commander so she's already better. I say choose one (and we all know which 8 drop you should keep).
- I get the value of Shepherd, but it comes down to the same thing. You should only have one 7 drop. Pick one.
- Both are good. Just cut one. This will help curve out better and play more aggressively.
- So this card is okay, but not as good as it looks at a glance. The player has to draw 2+ cards at once, or in a similar fashion. Collector's replacement effect does not apply if a player cantrips after their draw step, or something of that sort.
- Life is not that important. Really. I get that he blocks, but Jubilation or Tithes can block too and they are overall better cards for a Staxy build.
- Great, great card. Super Stax. Only issue, is you need to have your artifacts. Tabernacleing your artifacts hurts you significantly worse than your opponents.
Maybe Mother of Runes
I know you love her, but really she doesn't contribute to the Stax theme. She "helps" curve, but I think we can do better here.
- This hurts you equally or more so than opponents. Yeah, this shuts down aggro token decks, but you need to swing with your fat fatties. The goal of this deck is to lock everybody in the game down, but giving yourself a slight advantage to get big creatures out to swing with.
- This is essentially a worse version of Aurification.
- Really this doesn't do that much. It could, but it's not worth it. A mana rock would be a better slot in, really.
This absolutely needs to go. This literally destroys everything that you set up from turn 1-10. It is such a nonbo that there is no real justifiable reason or "synergy" to include this card.
I get that this can grab any land, but it really is a waste of a turn. A lock hurts your opponents and gives you an advantage that is similar to ramp, but also makes you more and more likely to win the game. Serra's Sanctum doesn't win you the game. Make sense?
- Pseudo Stax because of the exile effect, but really I still don't think you need this. I cannot stress enough how you will always have the better and stronger creatures, so 6 mana to equip this for such a small ability isn't worth it, in my opinion.
- Cool, you get to draw some cards, but you help everyone else too!? No! This is the opposite of what you want to do. Deprive, deprive, deprive. You will have the upper hand enough that this meager card draw is irrelevant.
- This or Weathered Wayfarer needs to go. Reason being is that they counteract each other. You can keep both if you think you can play around it, but really I don't think it would hurt to let go of one or the other. Your call.
- Im sorry man, but this card is not very good. I can show you so many lands that would be better. Scrap this one.
- Really, games won't go on so long that you will have to recast Avy enough times to worry about this. Plains would just be better.
- I know this has a decent ceiling, but there will be games where you have 10 lands out and still don't get this trigger.
- This is a good card, but really I don't think it will be all that relevant. Your call, but a basic would be just as good, really.
- Really I don't know what this does for the deck, besides coming in tapped. Not trying to harp, but I don't see you using this ability hardly at all.
- This card is sooooo baaaad. It's very overrated, and it's too slow. You want to just outrun your opponents long enough until they trip. This makes you trip and your opponents catch up.
This is up to you. It can whiff hard, even more than Sky Ruin. Especially with the land destruction in the deck. I say pass on this, and I'll find you a better but similar replacement.
Cards to Add: Show
With all the artifacts you should be running, this card is great. Even without a ton of artifacts, this just tells your opponents "no".
- You might want to get rid of Ghostway, but this is great. It shuts down flicker/blink decks, shuts down Worldgorger Dragon combo, and so much more. All of my goblin cheaters, everything. This is a good card.
- Winter Orb on a creature. This should go in (all of this land hate will make sense in a little bit).
- Basically Pithing Needle on a critter. Both of those are almost as good as Nevermore, but cheaper. So they balance out.
Maybe Sanctum Prelate
- Almost Trinisphere. Again, both of those are good.
- Needs. More. Thalia.
Good graveyard hate. It does have the chance to nonbo with Emeria and maybe some others, but again, you control when to cast things. Also, you can play RIP years before Emeria. So think about what can get you more use: A card that sticks around for 8 turns, or one that sticks around for a few?
- Good combo card with RIP. I know you think it's confusing, but all it says when paired with RIP is, ", : Mill all cards in target opponent's library."
- Great taxers. You should have enough artifact ramp to negate this effect.
- This might be better than, equal, or mutually good compared to Quicksilver Amulet. Lower CMC, easier to get benefit from, but takes time to set up. This is up to you, but it is not mana intensive, meaning you can lock up the board and play stuff for free each turn. Thats huge.
- You know tons of cards to name with this card. Lands, booger creatures, etc. Plus, if you see your opponent has their commander with an activated ability, name that!
Maybe Grafdigger's Cage
- This is more graveyard hate, but really might just be a worse card than RIP. Both might be good, but really this is just a suggestion for you to see at the very least.
- Might as well deter your opponents from attacking you as much as possible. This is not a great card, but paired with all of your locks and Prison effects it nearly stops your cold.
- Hurts your opponents for playing without any repercussions on your behalf. This wrecks against mono-colored or when paired with Winter Orb
- Both this and Hokori, Dust Drinker. You will see why lands dont matter as much in this deck.
- Maybe also the moxen (Mox Diamond, Chrome Mox, Mox Opal) because theyre free ramp
- These all are abusable mana rocks. They generate tons of mana, bypass all of the taxers you set up, and can let you get Avy, or really any of your high drops, out super early.
- I think this is a must. This lets you reuse any mana rock that generates more than 1 mana.
This is a little gimmicky, but it can turn off Winter Orb and the likes, plus it lets you reuse mana rocks again. If it had a little lower CMC then this would be an auto-include.
Remember when I said that I would suggest a better Temple of the False God? Well, here ya go. Right out of the gate it works. Yes, sac it if you play a land, but the tempo this skips you ahead is justifiable without a doubt.
- Dude, come on. Run this. Hell, maybe even run Wasteland.
This is not all that great, but after an Armageddon you get an extra body, and every bit of a lead you get makes it harder and harder for your opponents to win.
1 week ago
I also think your deck would be a lot stronger if you included some heavier artifact ramp such as Grim Monolith, Mana Vault, Chrome Mox. Maybe even Fellwar Stone. I also really like running Nature's Lore and Skyshroud Claim because they can search for shock lands (or original duals if you're that guy) and the lands don't enter tapped. If you are going that route, Lotus Cobra becomes ridiculous, particularly if you are running fetch lands too (which you should be if you can afford them).
Finally, I would consider the Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix and Vial Smasher the Fierce partnership a little better then your current one. Adding red gives you access to a lot more Wheel of Fortune effects. Then again, I can understand not wanting to add another color as it requires you to change your deck up quite a bit.
Sorry, I know most of my suggestions are on the pricier side but I did see a few more expensive cards in your list so I thought you might be willing to throw down a little more $$$. If you have any questions, let me know! I am a pretty seasoned commander/EDH player.
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
I think Im jealous of your Imperial Seal and Grim Monolith!! Nice score. From there I think an Underground Sea might be in your future. Anyway, correct me if Im wrong but this is primarily a Doomsday deck with Aetherflux Reservoir as a backup. Doomsday is awesome because it takes 1 blue mana to win if you have the right cards in your deck and 4 islands. You should try to build your deck twords that goal. Islands should make up about 85% of your land base not because of High Tide but because of Gush\Doomsday piles. From there High Tide gets stronger and your deck will have a win by turn 4 or 5 with protection 70% of the time.
2 weeks ago
I understood what i've said about High Tide, but as i don't have all the good islands (old dual), i see High Tide more like a ritual than win condition. Paradox Engine on the other hand hurts in Ad Nauseam, however it has proven its value for getting me to storm faster and getting out of stax locks such as taxes and etb tapped.
I Know it is kind of win more, however its consistency and power make me fit it into the deck.
Please let me know your thoughts on this.
2 weeks ago
I guess Impulse and Whispers are the weakest cards in the deck. I guess the deck could use an additional removal spell and maybe Mystic Speculation.
Now heres a dumb question. How good is Angels Grace? I know it wins the game when used with Ad Nauseam but is that enough to justify its spot in the deck? This is the first time I will be using it and I havent had much luck with Ad Nauseam so I havent exactly relied on it that much. Hopefully Angels Grace will change that.