|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Ravnica Allegiance: Mythic Edition (RNAMED)||Mythic Rare|
|Journey into Nyx (JOU)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
Legendary Planeswalker — Ajani
+1: Distribute three +1/+1 counters among one, two, or three target creatures you control.
+1: Look at the top four cards of your library. You may reveal an Aura, creature, or planeswalker card from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
-8: You gain 100 life.
Latest as Commander
Ajani, Mentor of Heroes Discussion
3 weeks ago
4 weeks ago
Me again lol. I was looking at the selection of walkers. I noticed 2 things. With 11 creatures. You need 1 or 2 more walkers that put out blockers. Guys like Gideon, Ally of Zendikar , Garruk Wildspeaker , Sorin, Grim Nemesis fit the bill. You're also lacking walkers that put +1/+1 counters on creatures to have more to proliferate and make blockers bigger. Ajani Steadfast , Ajani, Mentor of Heroes , and Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter I personally like
1 month ago
Hey, we’re all commander players here, we share the love of bling and booty. If I got my hands on the mythic edition Ajani, Mentor of Heroes I would literally cry. No, I am not joking.
Next suggestion: Djeru, With Eyes Open and Venser, the Sojourner . The combo speaks for itself- it is totally insane. Tutoring up a walker on all of your end steps? And if you don’t have Djeru, Venser can untap mana rocks or lands. Also his ultimate basically reads “win the game”. I use this synergy in a Raff flash deck and it’s just insane. Also, Djeru is super budget and Venser... well, he’s basically the price of a nice dinner. I’d rather eat in anyway.
1 month ago
Or, we could do what makes far more sense - just let Wizards print planeswalkers that are specifically designed to be played in the command zone. Of the 11 walkers they've given that ability to, 3 (Teferi, Daretti, and Freyalise) are very powerful, two more pretty strong (Saheeli and Windgrace), and the others (Nahiri, Ob Nixilis, Estrid, Aminatou, and the two Kenriths) are all playable. Teferi and maaaaaaybe Daretti are the only ones approaching broken.
Blanket okaying all walkers is asking for trouble. Saying we're okay with some but that bans have to happen means that cards like Tezzeret the Seeker and Ugin, the Spirit Dragon and Elspeth, Sun's Champion are removed from the game, despite being entirely reasonable as part of the 99.
I think a good creature comparison would be Kokusho, the Evening Star . If he shows up out of the 99, he's strong. He's irritating to deal with, and there are other cards that can make him better (reanimate, etc). But if I hit him with Utter End or Bojuka Bog , he's handled. As a part of the 99, he's strong but acceptable.
When he's in the command zone, he's oppressive and devastating. The deck can be built to reanimate time after time, and all the normal ways to answer him just put him back in the command zone to try again.
The same will be true of walker-decks. Sure, mfogle, Doubling Season currently only sees play in superfriends. But why not stick one in your Ajani, Mentor of Heroes deck to gain 100 life instantly. Or your Arlinn Kord Flip deck to ult her one turn later. Or your Garruk, Caller of Beasts to turn every creature spell into a second creature immediately. Perhaps we could turn Kiora, Master of the Depths into a reliable four-mana emblem plus three 8/8's.
My point is this. The reason Doubling Season is so good in superfriends is that it wins the game with most->all of the walkers in the deck. If one of those walkers is in the command zone, do you really think people won't run it? Or the Chain Veil? The deck stops being built around walkers-in-general and gets to be tailored to whichever one fits a players playstyle, whether that's weenies with Elspeth or stompy things with Garruk.
2 months ago
So before I list cuts and suggestions let me start with what I've gathered from your deck.
You have a lack of value on a LOT of card that you've chosen, I'll explain in more detail in cuts but every card should serve to help you win the game not just push your theme/gimmick. sometimes you gotta make slots for cards.
Lack of spot removal. You have little to no way to deal with your opponents shenanigans, to be exact you have only 2 bits of spot removal. Your deck's gameplan isn't fast enough or big enough to just play solitare like some combo, control, or hyper aggressive decks.
You have a distinct lack of board wipes, to be exact you have one. I get your hesitation to run these but... You have to, if not someone is going to be in a better position than you and it's going to cost you the game.
I feel like you're ignoring your colors' strengths. Green ramps, White removes, and Blue Draws/Counters. Play to those strengths because that's what makes Bant such a powerful color combination!
Alright to the cuts:
- Tamiyo, field researcher: I get it she's an omniscience but I don't think that she lives for long and her + and - abilities aren't really all that useful to you or the gameplan. Not enough value.
- Nissa, vital force: You aren't playing lands, the only thing useful on this card to you is her - ability. Sure her ult would gain some passive use IF you ever got there! Not enough value.
- Spellbook: I don't understand why this was there to begin with... Reliquary Tower is far superior, and if you must have an artifact for it I'd run Thought Vessel over it anyday.
- Contagion Clasp: I'ma big believer that Contagion Engine is just better. For 4 extra mana upfront you get to wipe an opponent's board, and you get to pay the same 4 you'd pay on clasp but you'd get two proliferates instead. Who cares if you get it out turn two you can't do anything with it for two turns.
- Call the gatewatch: You aren't playing planeswalkers... this card doesn't have enough value and doesn't help you achieve your goal at all.
- Djeru, with eyes open: Refer to Call the Gatewatch
- tireless tracker: This COULD get there, it COULD be useful, but... That's a could be, not a guarantee. I'd prefer to see a card here that is going to help definitively.
- Vizier of the menagerie: you only have 25 creatures... you have a 1/4 chance for this to actually mean something. Not enough value as the deck stands with so few creatures. I'd rather see consistent draw power here.
- talisman of progress: I just don't think it's necessary you have 5 rocks total this isn't necessary at all.
- oath of ajani: I get it... It's first ability helps you out a lot, but... I just feel like it's a wasted card slot. it's an enchantment that you're basically treating as a sorcery.
Here are some card I'd suggest filling these holes, which I'll break down into categories.
Useful +1/+1 Shenanigans:
- Kalonian Hydra
- Champion of Lambholt
- Tuskguard Captain
- Abzan Falconer
- Loyal Guardian
- Prime Speaker Zegana
- Zameck Guildmage
- Bloodspore Thrinax
- Mikaeus, the Lunarch
- Walking Ballista
- Hydroid Krasis
- Sage of Hours
- Doubling Season / Primal Vigor
- Fuel for the Cause
Staples that should be in the deck including Spot removal!
- Vedalken Orrery
- Teferi's Protection
- Heroic Intervention
- Rhystic Study
- Path to Exile
- Swords to Plowshares
- Defense of the Heart
If you're going to play walkers these are much better suited to your deck:
Finally some board wipes
Last thing, I'm not taking into account budgets of any kind I just want to help you create the most competitive deck that won't fold over if someone screws your gameplan over. Also if I came off as a dick at all apologies, it's not intentional.
3 months ago
The rest is an attempt to lean into a superfriends subtheme
3 months ago
3 months ago
I would probably skip Ajani, Valiant Protector . Of the versions, I'd go with Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants or Ajani, Mentor of Heroes . I wouldn't have too many walkers in there though, it seems to be an aggro deck first, it won't hold up long enough to get tons of value out of them.
Ajani, Mentor of Heroes occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%