|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Fate Reforged (FRF)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Hound Shaman
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card if you control the creature with the greatest toughness or tied for the greatest toughness.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Latest as Commander
Abzan Beastmaster Discussion
1 week ago
i actually just decided to drop Assault Formation just because frankly i find it unnessesary/win more :p great card with trees no doubt about it though! Abzan Beastmaster seems like a less punitive Heartwood Storyteller i can dig it ty ty
1 week ago
1 week ago
Thank you for the suggestions, some of them are going to be added in when I buy them and find slots:
- Bloom Tender - fantastic card, it will definitely find a home eventually.
- Glen Elendra Archmage - I've been trying to remember the name of this card, i want more counterspell in the deck and with it having persist and me running a +1/+1 counter subtheme, it'll be extremely abusable.
- Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger - love this card, but I won't add it to this deck. I run it my mono green deck and I don't want the 2 decks to feel the same.
- Jin-Gitaxias, Core Auger - I like this card, but it might be a little too oppressive for how I want the deck. It may replace Nezahal, Primal Tide eventually. I'll have to do some playtesting.
- Abzan Beastmaster - this is underwhelming to me. Id rather draw off each creature I cast than banking on getting a card per round.
- Ixidron - not a fan. I only run 1 morph creature so this would hurt me considerably as I count on all my creature abilities to overpower my opponents.
- Voyaging Satyr - I personally like mana d9rks more than I like untapping lands. Especially since I don't have any big mana generating ones in the deck.
- Gaea's Cradle - I have 1 copy , and it's in use in my mono green deck. And I don't switch out cards, so as good as it is, it probably won't find a home in this particular deck.
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx - this is an interesting suggestion, as it's so much better in mono colored decks. But green is my predominant color in this deck and could be decent. I'll have to playtest it and see.
Thanks again for the suggestions!
2 weeks ago
2 months ago
I enjoy the idea of your deck but as was stated in the past ramp could be very important for this deck my suggestions for additions would be Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger, he slows your opponents and speeds you up, you are also lacking a bit of draw to refill so some good cards for you to look into with this deck would be Abzan Beastmaster, Drumhunter, Elemental Bond, Garruk's Packleader, Lifecrafter's Bestiary, Rishkar's Expertise, Soul of the Harvest, Triumph of Ferocity you can pick which ones you like.
also drop the sliver and pick up Aura Shards it is a huge target for enchantment hate but it can be very explosive
3 months ago
It's worth noting that there aren't currently creature cards with the stated ability (or similar) on them, possibly due to the potential confusion in whether or not that particular creature would also count for the "whenever a creature enters the battlefield" trigger. The closest I could find was Akoum Battlesinger, which has the ability phrased with "Whenever Akoum Battlesinger or another Ally enters" in order to clear up the confusion.
In your hypothetical case, though, the creature would enter the battlefield, and then any relevant "enters the battlefield" triggers would trigger unless something else prevents it (such as an effect that causes creatures to lose all abilities). This would include the creature with your hypothetical ability itself, given the wording, and you would draw the card. There is no state where the creature has triggered the ability but is still "entering" instead of "has entered." It enters and the ability triggers, with the creature actually on the battlefield.
As for static vs. triggered (vs. activated, while we're at it).... Activated abilities always are phrased "(Cost): (Effect)." Triggered abilities always begin with "When," "Whenever," or "At." All other abilities are static.
Llanowar Elves has an activated ability. is the cost, and the effect is adding to your available mana. You pay the cost, and then you get the effect.
Abzan Beastmaster and Abzan Ascendancy have triggered abilities with each of the starting words I mentioned. These all trigger when the trigger condition is met (the beginning of your upkeep, when the card enters the battlefield, and when a nontoken creature you control dies).
Anything else is a static ability (unless it's a spell). It can be as simple as a keyword like haste or flying, or something wordier like Blood Moon. These take effect as soon as the card enters the appropriate zone, and only stop working when that card leaves the zone or when the card says it ends.
4 months ago
Great deck! I was wondering how you'd feel about adding an Abzan Beastmaster, as you seem so fond of drawing cards :) Not sure what to replace with it though ...
On a side not, my husband and I feel that although Arcades has entered the scene and his abilities are definitely stronger than Doran's, we still enjoy playing our Doran deck a lot. Black does give some nice extra, cheap-to-cast tutors and some draw options to help tip the scales in our favor.
Regards and happy gaming!
4 months ago
Possible cards to add: Island, Wall of Mist, Orator of Ojutai, Nivix Barrier, Monastery Flock, Jeskai Barricade, Geist of the Archives, Dragon's Eye Sentry, Doorkeeper, Sylvan Caryatid, Profaner of the Dead, Triton Tactics, Abzan Beastmaster, Bastion Protector, Lightning Greaves, Kindred Boon, Kindred Summons, Valorous Stance, Dive Down, Mizzium Skin, Sight of the Scalelords, Guard Gomazoa, Gomazoa, Hover Barrier, Spectra Ward, Whispersilk Cloak, and Oblation.
That's about all I got for now. Basically, more creatures, keep Arcades safe, better cards. There are more cards that are pullable too but the ones above really should go at the very least for more creatures. Pass the message along.