|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Fate Reforged (FRF)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Hound Shaman
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card if you control the creature with the greatest toughness or tied for the greatest toughness.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Abzan Beastmaster Discussion
2 weeks ago
You have a fun looking package here with a pretty solid game plan.
I have a few tweaking suggestions you could try:
- Search for Tomorrow instead of Harrow, you have very few 1 drops, so the suspend gives your ramping another starting option for turn 1.
- Some sac-for-card draw engine instead of Goblin Bombardment. There are a few options with different mana usage schemes, e.g. Phyrexian Vault, Culling Dais or Carnage Altar
- Tireless Tracker is just one of the best creatures available for landfall based decks, even green decks in general.
- Elvish Piper or Fauna Shaman for getting your best stuff on the field on time.
- Continuous card draw over some of the one shot spells. You have multiple extra land play cards, so you should try to hit those as often as possible. Abzan Beastmaster, Triumph of Ferocity, Elemental Bond and Lifecrafter's Bestiary are usually safe options, Horn of Greed and Fecundity have higher risks involved, but favor your game plan.
- Possible cuts to consider: Soulblast only hits one target for the cost of your whole board, which limits its usability. Angrath's Marauders is likely the most mana inefficient option available for doubling damage. Molimo, Maro-Sorcerer is just big and often doing something more active is preferable.
You probably don't want or need all of that stuff, but you could try some of it and see what works best in your meta.
3 weeks ago
Looks pretty spiffy :) There's a just a few cards I would recommend:
- Skinshifter; great value considering its ridiculously low casting cost.
- Abzan Beastmaster; in this deck nigh guarantee to draw an extra card during your upkeep.
- Disowned Ancestor; again, great value for next to nothing.
- Fendeep Summoner; two trees for the price of one :)
- Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper; high toughness + life-gain when your creatures damage opponents.
- Behind the Scenes; wonderful way to make all your creatures unblockable to things that can hurt them.
- Meekstone; a great way to disable lots of opposition (works especially well if you can manage to give all your stuff vigilance).
Hope you have fun with this. I would appreciate some feedback on one of my decks if you have the time. Happy gaming!
1 month ago
Initially, I was expectig to see a full fledged doran deck. So I'm sorry of these suggestions don't fit with what you're trying to do. If you could elaborate on what the plan for this deck is it might give a clearer insight into what you need.
If you do want to build around Doran thue best additons would be Assault Formation and Behind the Scenes. You could use cards like Commune with the Gods, Ajani, Mentor of Heroes and Abzan Beastmaster to draw into them as well as drawig into doran. The rest of the deck would just be cheap 0/4s a play set of Nyx-Fleece Rams, a play set of Kin-Tree Invocation and some removal spells.
However if that's not what you're trying to do wih this deck I'm not sure what to suggest.
Hope that helps a little.
2 months ago
Current Card Draw Engines:Bident of ThassaLifecrafter's BestiaryShamanic RevelationRishkar's ExpertiseZendikar ResurgentTemur AscendancyElemental BondBounty of the LuxaSoul of the HarvestConsecrated SphinxAbzan Beastmaster
3 months ago
Do you guys like Abzan Beastmaster? I like guys that draw you cards in not so card-drawy colors
3 months ago
Hey PJ! Happy to help!
Things I like:
Immediate +1 for the name haha!
Elspeth, Sun's Champion... I mean, obviously.
I like that Sylvan Caryatid I see in there.
Abzan Beastmaster. He's cool.
Suggestions to put in:
Belligerent Brontodon is kinda a copy of Doran, just for your guys. Beware his cmc though!
Treefolk Harbinger if you want to go more into the tribal aspect of Doran.
Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim with some mana open, she's a great way to respond to an enemy boardwipe and gain a ton of life.
Grim Contest is a great fight effect that will almost always favor you.
Some to take out:
You have a ton of boardwipes. Maybe that's okay meta wise but you could probably drop the less useful ones like Whirlwind.
Obelisk Spider doesn't really synergize with anything else in the deck.
Painful Truths can be replaced with better draw options.
Kambal, Consul of Allocation seems kind of weak. Maybe it's a meta call.
Hope some of this helps!
3 months ago
Suns_Champion, that coincidence is hilarious!
Timber Protector - Most Doran decks go towards Treefolk Tribal, which I'm not trying to emulate. Because of that, this deck doesn't run many Treefolk. Bastion Protector is strictly better here because of that, but I don't run either as Doran is usually left alone by targeted removal.
Tree of Redemption - Biggest issue with it is the defender, as I'm also trying to avoid most defender creatures (Hence why I don't run Axebane Guardian). I run Perdition because it has the added benefit of sucking the life out of my opponents, and Souls of the Faultless for the same reason/dissuading attacks.
Dusk / Dawn - Great card, good for removal and returning my creatures
Sylvan Caryatid - It's early ramp with a good amount of health. Great suggestion
Kin-Tree Invocation - Yes it will, most of the time, be 2 mana for an 8/8, and that's the problem. I've always had that problem with it, a lot of cards here have negative effects toward cards with high power/same p/t
Chromatic Lantern - Good idea
Also, thanks for pointing out the problem with Triumph of Ferocity, for I thought it was just an enchantment version of Abzan Beastmaster. I've since correct that mistake.
Thanks for the suggestions! Feel free to suggest more :p
3 months ago
Can't believe I missed Mentor of the Meek for card draw in my Doran deck. Apparently I haven't updated my deck for a while now. My deck focuses on punishing creatures based on their power. But I have a few ideas to run by you, use them as you wish:
Abzan Beastmaster: card draw
Eidolon of Rhetoric: can neuter some decks and has a nice body to boot.
Guiltfeeder: Possible evasion and can hit for 4 with Doran out. Added damage is better the longer the game goes on.
Kami of Old Stone: I don't care for vanilla critters but this one was too good to pass up
Sun Titan: recursion
Noetic Scales: currently testing but probably the first thing to be cut.
My deck if you want more ideas:
Commander / EDH
SCORE: 5 | 17 COMMENTS | 868 VIEWS | IN 2 FOLDERS