Creature — Cat Warrior
If a creature is attacking you and you control a Forest and a Plains, you may play Qasali Ambusher without paying its mana cost and as though it had flash.
Printings View all
|Shards of Alara (ALA)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Qasali Ambusher Discussion
3 months ago
3 months ago
I really like the deck? What about Qasali Ambusher
9 months ago
I've seen Qasali Ambusher do some crazy stuff before. The card is better than most would give it credit for, even in a format like modern (especially now, when the format is much more creature-centric and a bit slower).
Anyway, one thing I wanted to point out is that I used to play fair GW aggro/company lists a few years back (when the format was kinda in a similar spot, just without stoneforge and wrenn&sixx..) and I always found this little card - Shield of the Oversoul - to actually be good much of the time. I went from playing 1 just for shits to nearly always having one in those types of decks. I am well aware of the reasons against playing such cards (2-for-1's etc), but I dunno...THAT card always impressed me, esp in GW decks with lords like Wilt-Leaf Liege . I really loved putting it on a Voice of Resurgence or Liege. :)
Dromoka's Command is another card I always tried to fit in as a 1-of, but that's a more replace-able effect I guess (although it's versatility in these decks is great, esp when you consider it's a "counterspell" vs targeted or even aoe burn spells, w/ upside). Burrenton Forge-Tender is also nice to have in the board for those pesky red spells/decks.
Btw, may I ask why you are not using Noble Hierarch instead of the Birds? I find Hierarch to be one of the best creatures in the game, with that exalted ability being more meaningful on her than any other exalted creature. I realize she adds a huge amount to the cost of the deck, though. Cavern of Souls is another obvious one to me, but it poses the same problem as Hierarch...
10 months ago
Cats are awesome. Cats are cat-tastic. (Cat-tacular?) I've helped my brother with making a cat deck, and here are some thoughts:
- Have you considered Qasali Ambusher ? It can come out extremely easily with flash, plus it kills a lot of fliers (ex. Spirits, Insectile Aberration, Phoenix...) and deals with number of other fast creatures (Goblin Guide, Monastery Swiftspear...).
- I might actually run either Lightning Bolt s or Lightning Helix es (and with the MMA art, of course) in the maindeck. They're quite good at burning things and dealing with issues.
- To deal with Blood Moon and troublesome artifacts/enchantments, I highly suggest maybe using Force of Vigor . (The fact that it's zero mana is kinda relevant.)
- Maybe Eladamri's Call will help you achieve critical mass of kitties as quickly as possible. Plus, if you go for the Qasali Ambusher, it allows you to instant-speed dump out the cute little kitten.
- If your budget permits, maybe go for Cavern of Souls . But it's not mandatory. I would also advise against the Razorverge Thickets and just go for more copies of Temple Garden , since your Loam Lions and Wild Nacatls check for basic land types.
- Depending on your local metagame, you may also want to consider for your sideboard Solemnity to deal with Devoted Druid and Hardened Scales combo decks, Choke to make any opponents playing with Islands very sad, and Thorn of Amethyst as extra tax fun.
1 year ago
Ohh and a very old but deadly card Mercy Killing !
1 year ago
Epochrasite is fun with Cascade, there are creatures with alternative costs, this is normally preferable to casting them so sets some conditions. Qasali Ambusher , Akuta, Born of Ash and Greater Gargadon would be examples, there are lots of others...
To what end are you wanting a list?
1 year ago
Odd ass this may sound, you might have too many creatures and the creatures you have may also need minor adjustment. Renegade Rallier , Wall of Omens , Strangleroot Geist or Selfless Spirit seem like they would be ideal as does Eldritch Evolution in a sacrifice deck. I wouldn't play a graveyard strategy here, one, decks are running graveyard hate in the main-board and two, you won't do it as well as a deck dedicated to it.
Siege Rhino and Restoration Angel would be viable with Eldritch, Qasali Ambusher would already be good in your deck, but it's even better if you can cast it for free then flip it over to a Thragtusk or Sigarda, Host of Herons . You also want a basic Plains in your deck, heck you might want to go to 20 land.
I guess what I'd do as a starter is:
-2 Birds of Paradise -2 Blood Artist -1 Collected Company -1 Rally the Ancestors -2 Cartel Aristocrat
+2 Land (1 a Plains) +1 Siege Rhino +1 Renegade Rallier +1 Restoration Angel +3 Eldritch Evolution
As an aside, the single best card to use with Varolz, the Scar-Striped is Death's Shadow ... I hope this is of some help, good luck with your brew.