|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Fate Reforged (FRF)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Choose one —
- Target creature gains indestructible until end of turn.
- Destroy target creature with toughness 4 or greater.
Valorous Stance Discussion
1 month ago
After playing last night, I get the feeling that the deck is being pulled into too many different directions. My advice is to lean into the cantrip effects while protecting Feather and the other creatures, and try to win through combat as soon as possible. I think that the token subtheme is solid, but I'd chuck the redirect shenanigans. It would make for a good laugh when/if it finally goes off, but the combo is too fragile, too expensive, and takes up way too many card slots.
My suggestions (in no particular order):
- Gods Willing - Card draw/protection
- Balduvian Rage - Card draw/damage (potentially lethal)
- Niveous Wisps - Card draw/tap down a big creature if you sense that it will be coming at you next combat
- Panic - Card draw/get through a blocker
- Rile - Card draw/trample
- Chaos Warp - Turn tokens into value or deal with an enemy threat
- Samut's Sprint - Set up a card draw with the scry/more damage
- Shelter - Card draw/protection
- Vanguard of Brimaz - Token generation
- Boros Charm - Will likely be used to protect your board state, but could also be used to finish off an opponent(s)
- Aurelia's Fury - Can be abused repeatedly by just pinging one of your creatures/can be used as a finisher
- Seize the Day - Repeatable extra combats
- Ajani's Presence - Protection
- Balefire Liege - Lifegain and extra damage while buffing your creatures
- Iroas, God of Victory - Menace and damage prevention when you're swinging. Definitely.
- Titan's Strength - More damage/Scry to set up card draw
- Valorous Stance - Protection/Destroy an enemy threat
- Guided Strike - Card draw/might be able to first strike surprise someone
- Temur Battle Rage - Finisher
- Accelerate - Card draw/haste
- Grapeshot - You'll be casting enough cheap spells that this could be a finisher
- Swiftfoot Boots - Feather is key to the strategy, so hexproof is going to be very useful. I wouldn't bother with Lightning Greaves though.
- Aetherflux Reservoir - Definitely. Lifegain and one-shotting an opponent.
- Fellwar Stone - R/W are the two least played, so you may have more trouble getting what you want, but more mana is rarely bad.
- Darksteel Ingot - Colored mana rock
- Purphoros, God of the Forge - On the fence with this one, but I think you have enough token generation to warrant him.
- Twinflame - Multiple Heroic trigger and synergizes well with Purphoros
- Spawning Breath - Puke up tokens for ramp/Purph triggers. Bonus points if you proc Heroic.
- Assemble the Legion - Another iffy card that I'd probably only run with the Purph package. It pretty much has to be answered or it will get out of control, but it takes time.
- Skullclamp - Plenty of tokens to draw cards off of. May already have enough card draw, if there is such a thing. Test to find out.
- Bathe in Light - Protection for likely many of your creatures, but no card draw, and it doesn't protect against board wipes.
- Grand Abolisher - We aren't a particularly counter-heavy meta, but I think this might warrant an include to protect from getting hit with a 2-for-1 destroy spell in response to your targeting your creature with a spell. This deck will be reliant on swinging hard every turn.
- Duergar Hedge-Mage - We have a pretty enchantment/artifact heavy meta, but if you are fast enough, it may not matter.
- Runaway Steam-Kin - Useful for storing up some red mana for those X spells, but there aren't many in the deck currently.
- Vandalblast - cough Meta cough
- Soul's Fire - Good way to finish someone off, if you can't get through easily. Might not be necessary.
- Emerge Unscathed - Protection. The free cast is nice, but lacks the card draw.
- Sentinel Tower - Iffy on this one, but I think you'll cast enough spells to make this valuable.
- Graceful Reprieve - ETB triggers/"Protection". Definitely better than Gift of Immortality in this deck, but you should be able to keep your creatures alive without needing this.
- Teferi's Protection - Dodging boardwipes is useful, but this may be unnecessary. No way of abusing Feather's ability here.
- Gilded Lotus - Colored mana rock, but with such a low average CMC, this may not be necessary relative to the cost.
- Fell the Mighty - Board wipe that will let you keep at least something of yours. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Austere Command - Value city. Likely to be used to wipe other threats while keeping your own. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Chandra's Ignition - paired with one of the spells that give protection or indestructible, and targeting a heavy hitter, you can wipe everyone else's creatures and keep your own. Might be too heavy-handed, but probably worth testing.
- Bandage - Card draw/possible protection. The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Heal - Card draw/possible protection The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Crowd's Favor - Not sure that it does enough to warrant a card slot, especially without drawing you a card.
- Galvanic Blast - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Liberate - Currently, the only ETB effects in the deck are Captain of the Watch and Stuffy Doll 's choose a player clause, both of which I would recommend cutting. It would synergize with the Purph package, but even still I'm not sure it warrants a spot, given all the protection you already have.
- Lightning Bolt - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Lightning Strike - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Magnetic Theft - There are currently only two equipments in the deck, and you're unlikely to face too many equipments in our meta, since your decks make up most of the equipment in said meta.
- Shock - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Authority of the Consuls - The small amount of lifegain is unlikely to be needed. The hatebear effect is too easy to play around.
- Gift of Immortality - This card doesn't synergize with much of anything. You're better off running protection spells that Feather can return to your hand.
- Guilty Conscience - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Indestructibility - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Pariah - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Shielded by Faith - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Boros Reckoner - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Captain of the Watch - There are only 3 other soldiers in the deck. She might (barely) make the cut, if you had Purphoros, but I'd likely still cut her.
- Coalhauler Swine - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fabled Hero - Basically, just a beater. I'd much rather proc the other Heroic triggers in order to get tokens to protect against forced sacrifice effects.
- Firesong and Sunspeaker - You have 1 white spell that can trigger this, and that is if you swords your own creature. You have 6 (cut to 2 with these suggestions) red spells that will gain you life. Using Blasphemous Act to gain a bunch of life is neat, but lifegain in Commander is often negligible due to commander damage, and with so few ways of actually triggering this card at all, it definitely doesn't make the cut.
- Stuffy Doll - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Truefire Captain - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fire Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Marble Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Pariah's Shield - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Pearl Medallion - Not enough high CMC white cards to warrant this, especially since it doesn't discount the color cost.
- Chain Lightning - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
2 months ago
Joe_Ken_ yeah, I'm talking through my options to better weigh the pro's and con's of the suggested cards. It really has me thinking on the clamp. I've taken it out an put it back in a few times before. You're the second person that has told me to remove Valorous Stance and yeah, I think it does need to go. :)
2 months ago
Leave Skullclamp in if you think you can get a good amount of value off it to draw cards. I would still take Tajic out since he doesn’t really stop any board wipes not including Blasphemous Act and Starstorm You don’t have too many enter the battlefield effects for Restoration Angel to do all too much work. Valorous Stance can probably be removed since you already have instants that kill stuff better and protect your creatures better. Gamble while being one of the only tutors Boros has I don’t think it is all to necessary in this deck because it can be devestating for the tutored card to be removed.
2 months ago
Hey, you've added lots of good cards since the last time I commented on your deck at the beginning of this month. Nice job streamlining and narrowing down your strategies. Looks like you cut Jor Kadeen, good job fighting the urge :)
The 10+ cards to consider cutting:
- Basandra, Battle Seraph
- Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice
- Balefire Liege
- Boros Reckoner
- Mirran Crusader
- Figure of Destiny
- Firemane Avenger
- Tajic, Legion's Edge
- Phyrexian Rebirth
- Valorous Stance
- Sword of Body and Mind
- Conqueror's Flail
- Boros Locket
Lots of redundancy is something you don't have deck space for in your deck therefore I would start with cutting cards that are redundant. Basandra and Flail are less needed since you've added Abolisher. When you have such little deck space for a Sunforger package of instants Stance doesn't do enough, Boros Charm and Plowshares are better options. Sword of BnM is the least good Sword since opponents have 100 card libraries and graveyards are a huge resource for most Commander decks. Crusader and Paladin are similar and I think Paladin is better because of soulbound, he can pair with Aureila and double strike Aurelia is good.
Aurelia EoJ, Reckoner, Figure, Avenger and Tajic are fine creatures, but that's all they are. There's nothing really special for your strategies here about these cards. In a game you would be better off drawing and playing other cards. Liege has a nice repeatable ability, but I don't think you need it and it's lackluster for a five drop.
3 months ago
I don't know what kind of group you play with so I'm going to make a bunch of general sugestions.
- First off, you might benefit from some instant speed removal. Path to Exile Swords to Plowshares etc.
- Similar to above counterspells will help protect you enchanted creature and stop problems from hitting the board.
- If you do not like counterspells perhaps Brave the Elements effects or things like Valorous Stance or Sheltering Light etc.
- Board wipes are also useful in stopping decks that go wide from getting out of hand.
- If you want to keep your removal enchantment based Prison Term is good and you go further into Pacifism efects and/or Oblivion Ring effects.
- Idyllic Tutor and Plea for Guidance are a couple tutors to consider.
- Sram, Senior Edificer is another enchantress effect for auras.
- Some artifact ramp to speed your deck up could be good. Primarily 2 cmc rocks to play before your general. ex. Sol Ring Azorius Signet Talisman of Progress Fellwar Stone
- If you don't like the mana rock idea perhaps you could hate on other peoples. ex. Stony Silence Kataki, War's Wage Aura of Silence
- Sun Titan , Restoration Specialist , and Retether provide some more recursion.
- Sigarda's Aid is a staple in aura/equipment based decks.
- You seem to have most of the auras I like in the deck already but a few to consider are Flickering Ward , Gryff's Boon , Shielded by Faith , and Battle Mastery
- It might be worth branching into equipment for utility, Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots add some much needed haste.
- Last but not least Bastion Protector is good at both protecting your general and upping his power.
Hopefully some of this is helpful.
4 months ago
4 months ago
5 months ago
This list appears to be just a teensy bit out of date, perhaps by 1 or 2 cards, because I know when I took apart the deck to build Zacama, Primal Calamity instead, the list did not include Valorous Stance . Felidar Guardian is a good idea though, hadn't really considered it. Thanks!
Valorous Stance occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%