Hideaway (This land enters the battlefield tapped. When it does, look at the top four cards of your library, exile one face down, then put the rest on the bottom of your library.)
: Add to your mana pool.
, : You may play the exiled card without paying its mana cost if an opponent was dealt 7 or more damage this turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Spinerock Knoll Discussion
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
Very nice Dragon take on Xenagos :)
A couple suggestions:
Selvala's Stampede would be absolutely nuts in this deck, spitting out dragons all over the place
Lifecrafter's Bestiary helps you scry for what you need and then gives you a little extra cheap card draw.
Dragon Broodmother helps you where Xenagos can be vulnerable, having blockers. It's a 1/1 dragon on your opponents' upkeeps as well as your own. Later you can sac them for a huge dragon.
For cuts: Yisan is very powerful but not so much in this deck. He would take too long to ramp up to enough verse counters. Your extra haste enablers, Fires of Yavimaya and Hammer of Purphoros are unnecessary. I may keep Dragon Tempest though because of the damage it deals.
Check out my deck: Xenagos: Zookeeper God Less Dragon focused but may still have some inspirations.
3 weeks ago
Yesterday I would have said that Arid Mesa was far too much. But since the enemy fetches are being printed in MM17, who knows...
Reflecting Pool is something I'll consider :)
Needle Spires has actually, astonishingly, won me games before. Turns out that in the late game, if all of my creatures have been lost, a land that can carry a sword with double strike is better than you'd think, haha. Plus my GF gave me my foily copy as a gift, so I'm partial to it ;)
Kor Haven is a good idea, I'll have to add that. And I think you're right that the hideaways can be pretty slow. Spinerock Knoll has pulled its weight, but I think you're right that Windbrisk Heights needs to be cut :(
Thanks, that's a lot of help! Haha.
1 month ago
Dark Confidant can be a pain, but less often then you would guess.
37% is a 0-drop (Better than a Phyrexian Arena
9% is a 1-drop (Same as a Phyrexian Arena
46% of the time you'll be better than or same.
Only 16% will be CMC 6 or greater, although, in Duel Commander with Sensei's Divining Top on the banlist, It's not as valuable as mtgcommander.net rules.
I play both Dark Confidant and Phyrexian Arena. I've considered Necropotence but the is tougher in my build, I'm heavy . The speed benefit of the Dark Confidant outweighs his potential damage offset, I've found anyway.
Serra Ascendant won't be good in a Duel Commander format.
I gave up on Slayers' Stronghold, the CMC 3 ( and itself) is just too much, never found it useful. Hanweir Battlements has been more effective for me. I also don't like waiting for lands like Spinerock Knoll or Windbrisk Heights, too slow.
Flickering Ward would be a better protection card, and it can be used on other situational creatures with ETB's as well to double the benefit if they have to be returned.
1 month ago
Daretti can use Anger as jet fuel and Squee, Goblin Nabob as everlasting gas to consistently enable card your card draw. With the new reprint of Gamble you can actually fetch Squee with a 100% success rate as it actually doesn't matter if you discard him, or any of the other artifacts in hand. You probably can also use some free cards off a Spinerock Knoll.
Quicksmith Genius just sets up everything for free.
Ghirapur Orrery should be a breeze to trigger and abuse.
Rings of Brighthearth can be a little pricey depending on your needs. For a cheaper alternative you can just copy the triggers of the things he's pulling around (and so much more) with a Strionic Resonator which does a good job at hitting most abilities and being relevant without cheese rings brings. Depending on the deck this can actually be a lot more useful. Dragonmaster Outcast, Utvara Hellkite, and Hellkite Igniter are all typically underrated dragons if you wanted to up the dragon game. The last being a reliable wincon with even a small pump.
The last set has a ton of stuff you can slot like Scrap Trawler, Pia's Revolution, Gonti's Aether Heart, Hope of Ghirapur, Implement of Combustion, Inspiring Statuary, Servo Schematic, and Treasure Keeper.
Also +1 for the name.
1 month ago
@Spirits: I need to ask this -why do you prefer Dark Confidant? Does the draw wording hurt you enough to pay a, most probably, high CMC life cost? Ok Phyrexian Arena costs B more, but gives you a draw for only one point of life instead of potential 5-7 (25% cards are over 4 CMC).
I bet Spirit Mantle is to be cast on Kaalia to let her attack every combat not minding the blockers.
2 months ago
Akoum Stonewaker doesn't seem that mana effient
Xenagos, God of Revels could really speed up the deck.
Hope some of this helped, and looks like a fun deck!
2 months ago
I've playtested your deck against a couple of mine, which I think are generally fairly close on the casual-hardcode scale. Here are my random thoughts and suggestions.
- Sapseep Forest - Entering tapped isn't worth the upside.
- Mogg Hollows - Only getting coloured mana every other turn seems bad.
- 1x Forest, 1x Mountain to make place for...
- Karplusan Forest and Mossfire Valley - Two untapped mana-fixing lands.
- Mosswort Bridge and Spinerock Knoll - Both of these have requirements that should be easy to meet in your deck. They're really bad with X spells, but you have a lot of other useful targets.
- Clip Wings for Silklash Spider, a lot slower and more expensive, but reusable.
- Gruul Keyrune for Gruul Signet A 3/2 trample is really small in EDH, so I'd go for the lower mana cost if I were you.
- Lightning Bolt for Ulvenwald Tracker Basically Doom Blade on a stick with the huge guys you will be keeping around. Also fun with Thornbite Staff, which is also incredible ramp with Rosheen if you can arrange some other way to have creatures die. Volcanic Fallout would be an example.
More general suggestions:
- Might of Old Krosa One-off buffs aren't that great when you have three opponents you need to get down from 40 life. It's certainly not reliable as removal, either.
- Increasing Savagery Your many X-creatures turn mana into power and toughness. No need to have a separate card that does the same.
- Solidarity of Heroes Very powerful at the right time, but it's a one-off effect that requires some setup.
- Feral Incarnation - Three 3/3 beasts isn't worth the mana, and you don't have enough token generation to make it "free".
- Skarrg Guildmage - There are better trample-givers, like Nylea, God of the Hunt.
- Genesis In this type of deck with low-count high-value creatures I'd try to sneak this in, but it depends on how graveyard-hatey your meta is.
- Asceticism Again, high-value creatures that respond poorly to single-target removal. Keep your hydras safe!
- Death's Presence Even if your hydras die you get to keep most of their value.
- In the Web of War, Fires of Yavimaya or Xenagos, God of Revels - Haste on large creatures is huge, you can swing and kill someone without them getting the time to set up defence.
- Gyre Sage - Makes each hydra larger than the previous one, which makes him larger, which makes the next hydra larger... :o
- Elemental Bond - Card draw when you play creatures keeps the creatures coming.
- Soul of the Harvest - As above.
- Aggravated Assault - The plan is to make lots of mana and huge creatures. Letting them work double shifts the next turn might secure a kill (or two).
Slightly out of budget suggestions:
- Selvala, Heart of the Wilds - She seems perfect for the deck. Huge creatures, huge mana, extra cards.
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx - In decks with two colours or less, this makes a lot of mana.
To make room for this I'd personally cut all the treefolk. They're better in mono-green.
It depends on your meta, but I'd also cut all planeswalkers except maybe Xenagos. They just tend to die so quickly in EDH. Xenagos generally at least pays for himself, though.
You could also consider multi-mana dorks, like Bloom Tender, Fyndhorn Elder, Greenweaver Druid, Nantuko Elder, Priest of Titania, Shaman of Forgotten Ways, Somberwald Sage, Whisperer of the Wilds, Wirewood Channeler, Karametra's Acolyte and dubiously Frontier Siege.
I hope you can take at least something from this.