|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masterpiece Series: Amonkhet Invocations (AKHMPS)||None|
|Tempest Remastered (TPR)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Buyback - Discard two cards.
Counter target spell.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (11)||YossarianLives , Benniator , Royal_Windsor , Metaphisyk , MoJoMiXuP , Big-Foot , Bluboltar , KillDatBUG , meowCat1234 , CAPTAINxCOOKIES , Justinaut|
|Want (19)||plazma7 , 1337_Nerd , ShadyPear , THP88 , GS10 , Malachy_ , raithe000 , Grantley91 , LuckMisesack , MementoMuffin , NezumiNinja , LVL_666 , kvfd1719 , Killingfool , fadelightningmm , afeuling , Uncommon_Courtesy , kovellen , Rev0388|
enpc on Damia LabMan
1 week ago
One line I have seen with Flash Hulk is to fetch Mogis's Marauder as well as Deathrite Shaman and Hermit Druid. You give both the DRS and Druid haste, eat a land from a yard and druid out. All you need is a draw spell in hand.
Pili-Pala + Grand Architect is too narrow and still suffers from summoning sickness. You'd be better off running Paradox Engine give the density of rocks and since you're running Future Sight and Sensei's Divining Top.
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
MadMadison That's why it's always important to keep a few counterspells! Force of Will is extremely valuable in your deck, though it's extremely expensive [ :( ]. I think Forbid can be extremely valuable, especially late game.
1 month ago
xEleven Thanks so much for the suggestions! That was awesome! The main changes to the deck recently were only because I'm now building it in paper and I either couldn't find a few pieces or they were just a bit too expensive. I love the idea of Master of Waves and I think he could be a blowout in a lot of places. I totally agree with you on the cards that could be cut. I'm always really hesitant to put counterspells in Commander decks, but in this instance I think you're right. The deck doesn't really have access to a lot of targeted removal (except Reality Shift and eventually I will put Rapid Hybridization back in when I find one for sale), so it can't interact with enchantments or artifacts very well.
Surrakar Spellblade was a card I thought about for a long time, but I didn't think I had the critical number of instants or sorcerys to really abuse his ability. That being said, he's dirt cheap, so I'll definitely buy a copy and playtest him because, as you said, the payoff with the card draw is amazing. I really like the idea of Forbid and Commandeer, since the deck has so much card draw that I don't mind discarding too much. I was also considering Nezahal, Primal Tide as a finisher because I've been watching him being used on Commander VS and he performs so well.
I've actually got a Thing in the Ice Flip so I'll keep it in my sideboard and try a few matches with it. I've been looking for a Mask of Memory desperately but so far haven't been able to find one! It's such an important card for a deck like this, but hopefully I can find one in paper soon.
Thank you so much for all of your suggestions! I've got a few of the counterspells you mentioned just kicking around, so I'll keep a few to one side and probably end up sideboarding them in because otherwise I might get a bit stuck. There are several people in my play group that run Iona, Shield of Emeria and, if that resolves, I'm pretty much doomed!
1 month ago
MadMadison nope. Just an example ;p (I play it in my Jodah decl). I was looking through some cards and found some good ideas. See if any of these work? Maybe take out some clunky cards for it. BTW not checking to see if you already have these cards. If they are here, then they should be pretty good. 1. Commandeer? --> You have a bunch of draw power, so put it to good use! 2. AEtherspouts? --> Not too sure about this one. I'll test it a bit more and see. 3. Cryptic Command? --> Almost always a good card, especially in mono blue! 4. Cephalid Constable --> More Disruption. I stand by this card and think it's extremely valuable. 5. Latchkey Faerie --> Depends on if you are planning to go tribal heavy or not. 6. Master of Waves --> I think those 2/1s are gonna poke in for a lot of damage. 7. Nimble Obstructionist --> I think the cycle ability is great, but a 3/1 unblockable is also valuable. 8. Phyrexian Revoker --> Good card in general. Also unblockable. Disrupts tempo. 9. Rootwater Thief --> Helps disrupt certain cards in their combo. 10. Surrakar Spellblade --> Amazing for card draw. Also unblockable. 11. Thing in the Ice Flip --> Good card in general. I think you should use him as one of your finishers in case your board gets blown up. 12. General Comments: - I think you are too creature heavy. I think you can include soft counter spells. For example, Spell Pierce, Spell Snare, and Negate. I think you need less counter spells for creatures (speaking of, use Counterspell and Mana Drain), because the big damage will be coming from spells like Damnation, Wrath of God, Anger of the Gods, etc. I think counter spells will be useful to save your board state. And if a mass removal does resolve, a Thing in the Ice Flip would be great. Some examples are... - Cyclonic Rift is also great creature disruption with high versatility. - Forbid might be good if you need to dump some cards that u drew. - Stifle is also nice if a creature entered the battlefield and triggered mass removal, like Avacyn, the Purifier.
Another miscellaneous cards could be.. - Mask of Memory --> great card draw!
What you should cut... - Wild-Field Scarecrow - Temporal Adept - Shapesharer and Shape Stealer - Consider Siren of the Fanged Coast even though it did me wonders in that one match. - Courtly Provocateur
That's all I've got for now. Please remember these are just my suggestions. If you implement all of these, it becomes my deck and not yours. So remember, keep what you can justify, and leave what you can't. Incorporate what you see potential in, leave or test the rest. Good luck!
P.S.: I will be back to look at it some more. This deck really intrigues me!
2 months ago
Hello! Your deck has a lot of similarity to mine (The Ten Plagues: Locust God EDH | *PRIMER*), and overall this definitely looks good.
I don't have much time to write currently - graduation week at my university - but a few quick thoughts:
3) With this few nonbasics, Back to Basics seems like it would be AMAZING.
6) Mystic Remora for a thousand years :)
I hope this helps a bit! :)
2 months ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
2 months ago
Hey Regoober! Thanks for your comment and the upvote :) I like the style of your deck. +1 there from me too. I agree they do revolve around slightly different tactics though - I used to have a lot more creatures in earlier versions of this deck but I have cut them right down as you noticed, sped up the average CMC, and aim to combo out asap. I only get to play once a week at the moment so the deck is definitely still in "tweaking mode".
I will definitely consider Forbid though - I like the idea of the recursive counterspell while you're holding lots of cards. Thanks!