|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Urza's Saga (USG)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Drake
When Gilded Drake enters the battlefield, exchange control of Gilded Drake and up to one target creature an opponent controls. If you don't make an exchange, sacrifice Gilded Drake. This ability can't be countered except by spells and abilities. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
Gilded Drake Discussion
2 days ago
Hey MagicalHacker. Thanks for taking the time and sharing some tips! I actually had a look at your deck in action as one of the sources for inspiration. Great stuff!
Before going over your suggestions, do you have any tips on what to cut :)? Would be nice to also hear your view on what cards you think I shouldn't run.
This is how I currently evaluate the cards you mentioned:
- Animate Dead , Necromancy & Reanimate : I like these cards, but I found the other graveyard recursion cards to be more appealing. I prioritized runing cards that can get me multiple creatures from the grave over one-shot effects. I might get Reanimate back in the list someday just because of the nostalgia factor.
- Aura Thief , Steal Artifact & Steal Enchantment : I don't like that these cards are narrow in application. I prefer to have card with a lot of options over more efficient ones in a control deck like this. Aura thief is really strong, but I am not running ways to get it to the grave reliably (like a sac outlet). That is why I ended u cutting it.
- Control Magic & Dream Leash : Great options if I get some more room for more steal effects. Dream leash is really strong. However, I prefer the other 5-drops I'm running atm, and I want to keep my curve nice and smooth.
- Geth, Lord of the Vault : love this card. However, I ended up cutting it for curve considerations.
- Grave Betrayal & Mind's Dilation : Both cards I like and have been in decks before. However, they are both do-nothing-enchantments for 7 mana. I like the 7-drops I ended up including better (and again, I want to keep a smooth curve).
- Memory Plunder : I don't like this card. It's mana cost is quite prohibitive with all the colored mana and only gets back 1 card. I like Spelltwine better. I might undervalue the fact that it's an instant, but with my playstyle I'm not expecting to hold up 4 mana with this deck.
- Mimic Vat : Fun card, but more at home in an arsticrats-style deck imo. It doesn't have additional synergy with what the deck is doing as I run very few ways to kill creatures.
- Agent of Treachery & Gilded Drake : I already run this duo in my Roon deck, where they are way more busted than in Silumgar. And I prefer to keep my decks distinct if possible.
- Mass Manipulation : Cool card and one I'd like to try out sometime :). Will see if I can acquire one.
- Commandeer : A card I would love to run, but quite pricey, and I haven't gotten around to acquire it yet.
- Pendant of Prosperity : A lovely trinket to steel back. I will give this card some thought :).
Again, thanks for checking out the deck!
GL & HF,
2 days ago
Comparing my Silumgar deck to yours, they are about half or more different (including lands), but I wanted to point out eighteen cards I think you should consider adding, nine of which are already on your maybeboard:
Animate Dead , Aura Thief , Control Magic , Geth, Lord of the Vault , Grave Betrayal , Memory Plunder , Mimic Vat , Mind's Dilation , and Steal Artifact should move into the mainboard from the maybeboard.
Agent of Treachery , Commandeer , Dream Leash , Gilded Drake , Mass Manipulation , Necromancy , Pendant of Prosperity , Reanimate , and Steal Enchantment should skip the maybeboard and go straight to the mainboard.
These are simply my suggestions! If you are unsure of if these cards are as good as I say they are, check out my deck at The Bloodhall Season 1 - Dragonlord Silumgar and you can see how the deck plays in videos in its description.
3 days ago
Thanks Last_Laugh, great suggestions, all! I dont yet own a Intuition or a Gilded Drake , although they are definitely on my list of things to get! Both Crystal Vein and Cephalid Coliseum were in the deck at some point. IIRC they were swapped with Lion's Eye Diamond and Bazaar of Baghdad respectively. Do you think they should be in the list still for the sake of redundancy? What would you swap out for them (or Sylvan Safekeeper for that matter)?
4 days ago
I also really like Gilded Drake here... granted it's a meta call. Really good repeatable theft that deters your opponents from playing good creatures while he's in your grave.
6 days ago
Thanks for the upvote bushido_man96
They’re all very good ideas, this draft is still very early stages so I’m going to have another tinker around over the next few days, this probably will be the next list I actually build on paper so I really appreciate the input.
I wish I could afford/justify a Gilded Drake !
Flickering is interesting but I’m not sure what I could cut out for that effect..
What would you think of using a different commander? I feel like, at the moment it sort of screams “I’m going to steal your stuff” and people may well think twice about what they put into play with Show and Tell or hold up counterspells. But if I used Roon of the Hidden Realm or even Phelddagrif then it make it more of a surprise when I cast Blatant Thievery , for example.
6 days ago
I like your creative approach here. I really think you should consider running some of the protective equipment to take care of your commander. Swiftfoot Boots , Mask of Avacyn , and with blue in the deck, you could also run Neurok Stealthsuit , all of which are pretty good budget option.
I think you should also consider running some sac outlets, that way if you see something nicer you want to steal with Rubinia, you don't have to give the other creature back. Criminally underplayed sac outlets like Fanatical Devotion and Martyr's Cause would also double up as protection cards. Carnage Altar is pretty non-threatening and provides card draw, and Spawning Pit is nice in that it doesn't instantly scream "COMBO ENGINE" when it hits the board.
Some flicker effects might also let you make the most out of ETB effects from creatures that steal stuff. Flickering Altered Ego every turn could get terribly annoying. If you could afford a Gilded Drake , it get's really annoying. But, you aren't running a critical mass of creatures here, so that may not be worth considering.
Again, love the idea here. +1.
1 week ago
Gilded Drake is easily one of the best creatures in the deck and in competitive EDH metagames in general. Stealing generals which run away with the game like Gitrog, Zur, Urza, Thrasios and others is just too good to pass up on. Sometimes I even joke about the real general of this deck being anything your opponents are playing as you have all the tutors that fetch Drake, often even directly into play. Drake also is borked with Yarok contrary to popular belief, as you get to do a 3-way switch, stealing one creature and forcing opponents to swap between Drake and one other creature (you also choose each target as you control Drake when it enters play).
You can play infinite mana outlet draw spells if you like. This Yarok list just emphasizes on putting most if not all of the required draw outlet cards into ETB-creature form, which can be tutored with the same creature tutors that fetch combo cards like Cloud of Faeries and Shrieking Drake . These ETB creatures also work as decent topdecks and get amplified by Yarok's extra triggers and bounce engines, allowing you to save deckslots by not really needing any X draw spells to go off consistently. One of the main appeals of Yarok lists arguably is precisely the fact that they don't require any "dedicated" outlet cards to win games, save for the occasional Laboratory Maniac or Jace, Wielder of Mysteries which are just too good win cards to not include in many lists ( Demonic Consultation / Tainted Pact + Lab Man win lines are the meta right now in most stalled games where there are many stax pieces out and counterspells ready to fire).
Lim-Dul's Vault is not included mainly due to personal preference; I like to use its slot to playtest other cards almost as a baseline. You can definitely run it in your deck, and that list would most likely be better for it.
1 week ago
Thoughts on deck construction and how the deck played:
I would have included Ashiok, Dream Render , however most of my playgroups have Graveyard strategies included, and i don't want to be that guy.
I originally built with intent to run Desecrated Tomb . When it was played I found it to be too slow and didn't provide a lot of value. It was really gimmiky and really only ever netted me 2 bats over 15+ games.
You could also include cards like rise of the dark realms, or command the dread horde for added graveyard recursion, and a way to propel yourself to the front of the game after a major board wipe like In Garruk's Wake .
Gilded Drake occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%