Shields of Velis Vel
Tribal Instant — Shapeshifter
Changeling (This card is every creature type at all times.)
Creatures target player controls get +0/+1 and gain all creature types until end of turn.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Shields of Velis Vel occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Shields of Velis Vel Discussion
4 weeks ago
Hey, you have several good cards, but also quite a few that can be upgraded even on a budget.
Utvara Hellkite and Lathliss, Dragon Queen are two Dragon upgrades because they can be card advantage since they create Dragon tokens when Dragons attack or when nontoken Dragons ETB. Drakuseth, Maw of Flames has a powerful attack trigger. Knight of the White Orchid is a Knight upgrade since it can tutor for any Plains including Sacred Foundry or Mistveil Plains and put it onto the battlefield.
Changelings are Knights and Dragons. Taurean Mauler gets bigger when any opponent casts a spell. Mirror Entity has an ability to change all creatures you control power/toughness and give them all creature types. Depending on how much mana you have you can make your army of creatures huge power with Entity.
Before you make other improvements however my advice is to first improve ramp because when the cards you want to try to win the game with are high CMC such as Dragons then lots of ramp should a high priority. The idea is to have more ramp and less high CMC cards because you can easily cast ramp, but without ramp you can't easily cast high CMC Dragons.
- Sol Ring: staple mana rock in Commander.
- Arcane Signet: staple mana rock in Commander.
- Keeper of the Accord
- Knight of the White Orchid
- Boros Signet
- Jeska's Will: can be a fast way to cast both your Commanders or a high CMC Dragon in your hand if you target an opponent who has seven or more cards in hand.
- Dragon's Hoard: ramp and can be repeatable draw with Dragons.
- Talisman of Conviction
The next important thing to expand on is draw. The options for repeatable draw are slim in Boros therefore you want to instead count on cards that give you repeatable card advantage in other ways. Keeper of the Accord is an example of a new card from Commander Legends that's a card advantage engine for white in muliplayer Commander since he creates creatures if you're behind on creatures and/or is land ramp if you're behind on lands and he triggers on each opponent's turn.
- Sunforger: when people talk about Boros usually Sunforger comes up in the conversation because it's powerful equipment for repeatable card advantage. When it's equipped to a creature you can at instant speed pay two mana to unequipped to tutor for any white or red instant spell in your library that's 4 CMC or less and cast that spell for free. Sunforger package is an art form for Boros players. +4 power is a big pump when the creature has double strike or flying.
- Mask of Memory: repeatable draw, effects that trigger when you do combat damage to a player can trigger twice with double strike. If equipped creature isn't blocked then you hit the opponent your attacking twice to draw four cards and discard any two.
- Open the Armory: tutor for any equipment.
- Sarkhan's Triumph: tutor for any Dragon.
With Sunforger Mistveil Plains makes it better because you can put an instant in your graveyard back into your library to cast it again with Sunforger. Example of a Sunforger package of instants:
- Swords to Plowshares: exile a creature.
- Boros Charm: give all permanents you control including lands indestructible.
- Chaos Warp: remove a permanent including a land.
- Shields of Velis Vel: give all creatures you control all creature types.
- Sarkhan's Triumph: Dragon tutor.
- Brought Back: permanent reanimation.
- Unbreakable Formation: give all creatures you control indestructible.
- Return to Dust: exile up to two different artifacts or enchantments.
- Valakut Awakening Flip: draw.
- Akroma's Will: make all your attacking creatures real threats.
If interested I offer more advice in another comment, including suggestions of cards to cut. Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
2 months ago
Lhurgyof - Thank you very much for the upvote! 'Tis always appreciated.
So, I have experimented with Search for Tomorrow, though I have come to prefer the consistency of Rampant Growth. I cannot always use the mana, so coming in untapped does not bump it up in priority for me. If I were playing a more proactive strategy, this would be more appealing.
Second off, I love Shields of Velis Vel. It was in the original build of the deck, but then I did a reforming of most of my lists to make them less reliant on the commander. Peacekeeper is one of my favourite cards in the game, and it can be found by Recruiter. Lastly, Glory is part of my Survival of the Fittest package, merely for defensive utility.
I shall test Search for Tomorrow. It may be better than I think.
2 months ago
+1, love Hazezon.
3 months ago
4 months ago
You might like these cards: Magewright's Stone, Thousand-Year Elixir, Awakening, Patron of the Orochi, Second Harvest, Parallel Evolution, Growing Ranks, Song of the Worldsoul, Rootborn Defenses, Wayfaring Temple, Shields of Velis Vel (turn all your dudes into eggs in response to a board wipe!), Volatile Claws, Cryptolith Rite, Axebane Guardian, Primal Vigor, Anointed Procession
6 months ago
This seems pretty well built, but I think Grimoire of the Dead would be good here.
I don't have much to add except that with Haakon, Stromgald Scourge out, you can cast Blades of Velis Vel, Crib Swap, Nameless Inversion, and Shields of Velis Vel from your graveyard as many times as you like. This is mostly just a silly interaction that I like, but it could be useful.