|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Tempt with Vengeance
Tempting offer Put X 1/1 red Elemental creature tokens with haste onto the battlefield. Each opponent may put X 1/1 red Elemental creature tokens with haste onto the battlefield. For each player who does, put X 1/1 red Elemental creature tokens with haste onto the battlefield.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (12)||Tiddilywinkus , Roadhog , ironax , Oskani , brokendwarf , pskinn01 , Razulghul , Jpegwun , PhotogenicParasympathetic , mziter501 , bustinchops , Justinaut|
Tempt with Vengeance Discussion
3 weeks ago
OK first I want to point out the exclusions, cards I don't think fit
Borborygmos Enraged, he isn't a very good card unless you build around him. If you build around him a lil bit you will need cards like Snake Umbra, Keen Sense, and cards to combo with that like Skyship Weatherlight or Abundance to combo off so you draw lands over and over again. Otherwise he is over costed and not very good.
Majestic Myriarch is not a very strong card because of its huge downside. The card needs a team of creatures with him or her to be good. If your gonna keep this card you'll need to build a bit of a token deck to make it worth keeping. With cards like. Dragonlair Spider, Wolfcaller's Howl, Wolfbriar Elemental, Verdant Force, Tempt with Vengeance, Symbiotic Wurm, Sylvan Offering, Hornet Queen, Feed the Pack, Dragon Broodmother, Artifact Mutation, Arachnogenesis, and Ant Queen. These are also all good card suggestions.
Gruul Signet, Gruul Keyrune, and Darksteel Ingot I'd take out for land ramp. The kinds that add them to your hand and or play. Cards like Kodama's Reach (you have in the deck all ready). Seek the Horizon, Journey of Discovery you also might like Harvest Season, Evolution Charm is great too.
3 weeks ago
Thanks for the feedback! Mana Echoes would definitely work and if I could ever get my hands on one, it would fly in here faster than you could say 'BANG!'. I actually have a Tempt with Vengeance. Thing is, there is no way people are going to 'fall for the temptation' as it were, because they'd basically commit suicide if Purph is on the field. Thanks for thinking about it though! Happy holidays!
3 weeks ago
Sweet Purphoros deck man. With all the goblins you're churning out, would a Mana Echoes work?
Also, depending on your playgroup, Tempt with Vengeance could be great as well.
1 month ago
Master of Waves is a nice lord effect for you. It may not get you many tokens, but it boosts all your creatures and will always give you at least 1 token.
Tempt with Vengeance would be very beneficial to you
Torrent Elemental gives you the ability to swing freely
River Kelpie gives more draw
Zendikar's Roil is less good than the others I have said, but gives good chumps
I hope I helped!
2 months ago
My personal experience with Omnath is land ramp is better than mana dorks. This is mostly because late game an Elvish Mystic is pretty much worthless, while a Rampant Growth can be huge with Omnath on the field.
Tempt with Vengeance and Boundless Realms will win you games. I don't know of any infinite combos off the top of my head.
Elementals I like: Malignus, Tyrant of Discord, Incandescent Soulstoke, and Rubblehulk. Although not an elemental, I also like Rakka Mar.
The only other suggestion I would have is Basilisk Collar. It turns your sac outlets into board wipes and extra life for you.
2 months ago
- Avacyn, Angel of Hope is very expensive - she's good, but just be aware of the price tag.
- Lack of Herald's Horn and Vanquisher's Banner seems strange.
- Puresteel Paladin really isn't doing much in this deck - we only have 5 equipment and one of them is Lightning Greaves, which has an equip of 0 already.
- Maybe add more token cards? You clearly want to keep them, but just having a handful in a 99 card deck is very awkward, and they have very little synergy with the other cards. I recommend Tempt with Vengeance, Shrine of Loyal Legions , and Increasing Devotion for extra token producers. That, or just cut them and build an Adriana, Captain of the Guard deck.
- Inquisitor's Flail just really seems to good to not play, even without a heavy Equipment theme. I'd rather have it over something like Fellwar Stone to be honest, we already have a lot of mana producers and the Flail is very strong on Anya.
- Red boardwipes are good and all, but I think something like Hour of Revelation (the one I meant to recommend before) is a good idea just as a hedge against artifact, enchantment, and big creature decks.
- Tilonalli's Skinshifter is kinda awkward; we don't have many good things for it to copy, so it usually just becomes some big beater - in which case, I'd rather just run another Angel in its place - at least then we get ETB effects. Alternatively, add a few more good copy targets. (From the Gatherer Page: Because attackers have already been declared, any abilities Tilonallis Skinshifter copies that trigger when it or other creatures attack wont trigger.)
- I actually like Thalia's Lancers a lot more looking back on it - since Ixalan errata'd all planeswalkers to be legendary, the Lancers can grab a Gisela, Blade of Goldnight, Thalia, Heretic Cathar, or Nahiri, the Harbinger. I might add a few more legends to grab with it, though. Maybe add Bruna, the Fading Light and Gisela, the Broken Blade, since if you find one you can tutor up the other with the Lancers. (Bruna actually seems good in this deck, even without the Brisela opportunity.)
2 months ago
@Coward_Token Again, very thoughtful analysis! I always like seeing discussion around this archetype.
Good points about Mana Echoes: it's potentially explosive and can fuel a nasty Kessig Wolf Run or Tempt with Vengeance. However, I think (even with all of the tribal synergy you outlined) it might just be a tad too inconsistent. For four mana that probably doesn't do anything the turn it comes out, it's possible that just straight up Skyshroud Claim would be better in the long run.
As for Mystic Barrier - it's definitely not for everyone, but it opens up new lines of play; I've rarely been disappointed to cast it, but it has to be a deliberate decision to cast - not just because it's on curve or because you have an Academy Rector trigger. You'll always be choosing to be attacked by the adjacent player with the least resources, and a pillow fort can usually stave off most of that attack. The kicker is, of course, always having a "forced attack" effect to play with Barrier - the synergy there is huge if you can keep Barrier on the field for multiple turns. I don't think I've met many Gahiji players that run Mystic Barrier, and it might just be a pure pet card for me, but I really enjoy it.
As a minor aside, if you know you're planning to cast Barrier at some point in the game, try to identify which adjacent player will be less aggro - then deliberately avoid giving them tokens. You want to start off with that player attacking in your direction, and you also want to make sure there's always a juicy target for the other players to attack.
2 months ago
Hey gang, first thread here so please feel free to provide any constructive criticism! Haven't been active in a forum for quite some time..
Anyways, I'm contemplating sort of an odd strategy to utilize Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa as a general. I'm considering Vial Smasher the Fierce or Ludevic, Necro-Alchemist as his partner. Right now it seems like black brings more to the table for this particular strategy and I love b/w removal options but it's possible there are things I've overlooked in blue, and Ludevic insentivizes the kind of thing I'm going for and gives me access to Edric, Spymaster of Trest for total craziness!
The main strategy of this deck would be to give my opponents little 1/1 and 2/2 tokens to hit each other with providing evasion with Kondo, maybe turn up the heat with goad and goad-like effects while trying to deter combat damage directed to myself with cards like Ghostly Prison, Sphere of Safety, Crawlspace, Dictate of Erebos, Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs, Mystic Barrier. You get the picture!
Mob Rule, Insurrection, Army of the Damned and Massacre Wurm are possible win conditions and Overseer of the Damned, Blood Artist, Soul Warden, Vicious Shadows, and Revel in Riches benefit from a carnage of etb and death triggers. I can also benefit from the Commander 2017 curses so that's something to consider as well!
What I feel I need the most help with is cards that put tokens into the battlefield under an opponent(s) control. They're definitely a corner case and it's not entirely easy to do a search for them either seeing how the wording varies quite a bit for cards that do this!
Some I've found are:
- Akroan Horse
- Hunted Dragon (as well as others within the 'hunted' cycle)
- Alliance of Arms
- Sylvan Offering
- Tempt with Vengeance
- Infernal Genesis
- Reality Shift
- Goblin Spymaster
I'd also love to hear some interesting synergies if someone comes up with any! This will definitely be a casual deck so no suggestion is too outside of the box, please feel free!
P.S. ooooooh! I just discovered Mogg Infestation!!