|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Ultimate Masters (UMA)||Common|
|Shards of Alara (ALA)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Target creature you control in play deals damage equal to its power to target creature, player or planeswalker.
Soul's Fire Discussion
2 weeks ago
TwinStags Here goes:
Mentor of the Meek : You cast a spell, Young Pyromancer and Monastery Mentor trigger, you now have 2x 1/1 coming into play. Do you pay 2 colorless more to draw 2 cards? This is good in a token deck, but when you have a token deck you might as well be running Skullclamp where you are paying 1 colorless to draw 2 cards, way better value. Feather decks will be mana starved to begin with, spending as little mana as possible is the way to go.
Spawning Breath : This depends on what you are trying to get out onto the field. Something big with a lot of colorless? Or we you just trying to make more 0/1 creature tokens where you pump and attack? If so then this will combo off Zada, Hedron Grinder and get you a lot of 0/1 creature tokens. That is if your other tokens survive.
Leering Emblem : Run this only if you are going to go Spellslinger+Voltron. Because it is +2/+2 for each spell until end of turn. ChibiNature might be able to do the math for you to see if this is worth running in terms of CMC and equip cost.
Solemn Simulacrum : This is only worth if you are going to bounce it in and out of play to grab you lands, other wise 4 for a 2/2 is not worth.
Chandra's Ignition : Oh boy, I have a better card for you if you run tokens. Consider Soul's Fire cast onto Zada, Hedron Grinder and you having a billion tokens. It is ANY target, so even planeswalkers.
If you are going the token route I want you to take a look at Sword of Feast and Famine + Aggravated Assault or even Seize the Day cast onto Zada, Hedron Grinder for as many combat phases as you have creatures that are tapped at the moment of casting.
2 weeks ago
ChibiNature Question: Do you find yourself wanting Zada?
I find myself wishing that I had Zada on the field for many of the draw spells, and even Soul's Fire .
I'm considering on adding Goblin Matron to the deck.
3 weeks ago
After playing last night, I get the feeling that the deck is being pulled into too many different directions. My advice is to lean into the cantrip effects while protecting Feather and the other creatures, and try to win through combat as soon as possible. I think that the token subtheme is solid, but I'd chuck the redirect shenanigans. It would make for a good laugh when/if it finally goes off, but the combo is too fragile, too expensive, and takes up way too many card slots.
My suggestions (in no particular order):
- Gods Willing - Card draw/protection
- Balduvian Rage - Card draw/damage (potentially lethal)
- Niveous Wisps - Card draw/tap down a big creature if you sense that it will be coming at you next combat
- Panic - Card draw/get through a blocker
- Rile - Card draw/trample
- Chaos Warp - Turn tokens into value or deal with an enemy threat
- Samut's Sprint - Set up a card draw with the scry/more damage
- Shelter - Card draw/protection
- Vanguard of Brimaz - Token generation
- Boros Charm - Will likely be used to protect your board state, but could also be used to finish off an opponent(s)
- Aurelia's Fury - Can be abused repeatedly by just pinging one of your creatures/can be used as a finisher
- Seize the Day - Repeatable extra combats
- Ajani's Presence - Protection
- Balefire Liege - Lifegain and extra damage while buffing your creatures
- Iroas, God of Victory - Menace and damage prevention when you're swinging. Definitely.
- Titan's Strength - More damage/Scry to set up card draw
- Valorous Stance - Protection/Destroy an enemy threat
- Guided Strike - Card draw/might be able to first strike surprise someone
- Temur Battle Rage - Finisher
- Accelerate - Card draw/haste
- Grapeshot - You'll be casting enough cheap spells that this could be a finisher
- Swiftfoot Boots - Feather is key to the strategy, so hexproof is going to be very useful. I wouldn't bother with Lightning Greaves though.
- Aetherflux Reservoir - Definitely. Lifegain and one-shotting an opponent.
- Fellwar Stone - R/W are the two least played, so you may have more trouble getting what you want, but more mana is rarely bad.
- Darksteel Ingot - Colored mana rock
- Purphoros, God of the Forge - On the fence with this one, but I think you have enough token generation to warrant him.
- Twinflame - Multiple Heroic trigger and synergizes well with Purphoros
- Spawning Breath - Puke up tokens for ramp/Purph triggers. Bonus points if you proc Heroic.
- Assemble the Legion - Another iffy card that I'd probably only run with the Purph package. It pretty much has to be answered or it will get out of control, but it takes time.
- Skullclamp - Plenty of tokens to draw cards off of. May already have enough card draw, if there is such a thing. Test to find out.
- Bathe in Light - Protection for likely many of your creatures, but no card draw, and it doesn't protect against board wipes.
- Grand Abolisher - We aren't a particularly counter-heavy meta, but I think this might warrant an include to protect from getting hit with a 2-for-1 destroy spell in response to your targeting your creature with a spell. This deck will be reliant on swinging hard every turn.
- Duergar Hedge-Mage - We have a pretty enchantment/artifact heavy meta, but if you are fast enough, it may not matter.
- Runaway Steam-Kin - Useful for storing up some red mana for those X spells, but there aren't many in the deck currently.
- Vandalblast - cough Meta cough
- Soul's Fire - Good way to finish someone off, if you can't get through easily. Might not be necessary.
- Emerge Unscathed - Protection. The free cast is nice, but lacks the card draw.
- Sentinel Tower - Iffy on this one, but I think you'll cast enough spells to make this valuable.
- Graceful Reprieve - ETB triggers/"Protection". Definitely better than Gift of Immortality in this deck, but you should be able to keep your creatures alive without needing this.
- Teferi's Protection - Dodging boardwipes is useful, but this may be unnecessary. No way of abusing Feather's ability here.
- Gilded Lotus - Colored mana rock, but with such a low average CMC, this may not be necessary relative to the cost.
- Fell the Mighty - Board wipe that will let you keep at least something of yours. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Austere Command - Value city. Likely to be used to wipe other threats while keeping your own. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Chandra's Ignition - paired with one of the spells that give protection or indestructible, and targeting a heavy hitter, you can wipe everyone else's creatures and keep your own. Might be too heavy-handed, but probably worth testing.
- Bandage - Card draw/possible protection. The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Heal - Card draw/possible protection The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Crowd's Favor - Not sure that it does enough to warrant a card slot, especially without drawing you a card.
- Galvanic Blast - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Liberate - Currently, the only ETB effects in the deck are Captain of the Watch and Stuffy Doll 's choose a player clause, both of which I would recommend cutting. It would synergize with the Purph package, but even still I'm not sure it warrants a spot, given all the protection you already have.
- Lightning Bolt - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Lightning Strike - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Magnetic Theft - There are currently only two equipments in the deck, and you're unlikely to face too many equipments in our meta, since your decks make up most of the equipment in said meta.
- Shock - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Authority of the Consuls - The small amount of lifegain is unlikely to be needed. The hatebear effect is too easy to play around.
- Gift of Immortality - This card doesn't synergize with much of anything. You're better off running protection spells that Feather can return to your hand.
- Guilty Conscience - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Indestructibility - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Pariah - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Shielded by Faith - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Boros Reckoner - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Captain of the Watch - There are only 3 other soldiers in the deck. She might (barely) make the cut, if you had Purphoros, but I'd likely still cut her.
- Coalhauler Swine - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fabled Hero - Basically, just a beater. I'd much rather proc the other Heroic triggers in order to get tokens to protect against forced sacrifice effects.
- Firesong and Sunspeaker - You have 1 white spell that can trigger this, and that is if you swords your own creature. You have 6 (cut to 2 with these suggestions) red spells that will gain you life. Using Blasphemous Act to gain a bunch of life is neat, but lifegain in Commander is often negligible due to commander damage, and with so few ways of actually triggering this card at all, it definitely doesn't make the cut.
- Stuffy Doll - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Truefire Captain - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fire Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Marble Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Pariah's Shield - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Pearl Medallion - Not enough high CMC white cards to warrant this, especially since it doesn't discount the color cost.
- Chain Lightning - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
3 weeks ago
You pointed out some cards that I absolutely missed in my first build, (mostly the equipment and passively growing permanents.) I would probably reduce the equipment and ramp for more pump spells, personally. I think Brute Force + Soul's Fire is gonna be a powerhouse in here.
The real super-MVP combo has to be Paradox Engine + Isochron Scepter though (as usual.) It gives you psudo-vigilance, basically copies Feather's effect, and with your mana rocks lets you repeat spells forever!
3 weeks ago
As I see it the only way you can win faster is to have another source of life gain so that you can pop Aetherflux Reservoir the moment it resolves. Cards like Soul Warden , Soul's Attendant , and Soul's Grace come to mind. Since you're running Soul's Fire we can consider Spirit Link and Spiritualize
And/or add Sentinel Tower to do the damage directly to the player as you play the spells (Or anyone's spells for that matter, this just turned into a huge deterrence for players to cast on your turn | okay i just ordered this card too)
1 month ago
Yes, I hear you about threshold. I suppose I’ll try it out for a while and then, if it proves to be awful, it will be the first card out of the deck! I really like Impact Resonance so that will eventually find a place in the deck. Soul's Fire looks like great removal.
1 month ago
Hah! I thought Cathar's Companion got lifelink! My bad! I still think Seeker’s better.
Shower of Coals is actually eight damage for 5 if it’s Thresholded, but that doesn’t seem likely. Problem is, to have threshold your grave needs to be stocked, and if all your pump spells are going back to your hand... what’s in the grave? Things opponents blew up? That’s relying on your opponents to be destroying permanents you control to have the threshold trigger. I recommend Impact Resonance or Soul's Fire take its place.
1 month ago
FWIW, as soon as I pulled a Rhythm of the Wild , I slotted it in my Thromak deck. For me, the first phrase was the important part, with the ability to give Thromak haste or an extra counter as a little extra gravy. I don't lean as heavily on tokens as you do, though, aiming more to generate a massive hellion and knock out player(s) in a single attack. Haste and trample were high priorities during my deck construction and I've worried since putting the deck together that I might have put too many sources of each in the name of redundancy, so having haste stapled to an ability my deck was lacking (creatures can't be countered) made the enchantment super appealing.
Looking through your list reminds me why I enjoy magic (commander, in particular) so much: two people can approach the same deck concept from vastly different directions and still have an enjoyable deck. Besides haste and trample, I opted for Mage Slayer effects ( Soul's Fire , Chandra's Outrage , etc).
Because I approached the deck differently, I can't really provide good answers for the other questions you posted in the forum, but I CAN link my Thromak list in case something there can inspire you.
Commander / EDH*
SCORE: 1 | 114 VIEWS | IN 1 FOLDER
Soul's Fire occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%