Creature — Hydra
Lifeblood Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When Lifeblood Hydra dies, you gain life and draw cards equal to its power.
|Have (2)||, metalmagic|
|Want (3)||brownwaterboys , Zacblu10 , lrdnecros|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||Rare|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Lifeblood Hydra occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Lifeblood Hydra Discussion
3 weeks ago
- Yavimaya Hollow - Protection
- Voracious Hydra - Beater + Removal
- Life's Legacy - Draw
- Momentous Fall - Draw in response to removal
- Lifeblood Hydra - Beater + lifegain + draw
- Harmonize - Draw
- The Great Henge - Draw + lifegain + buff
- Berserk - Very powerful, even moreso with selvala
- Bolt Bend - My new favorite card for Xenagos. You cast draw spell targetting beater, they try to remove it, you cast this for and redirect it to them. Other 2 uses are countering counterspells and redirecting some extra turn spells.
3 weeks ago
Whats up captain? Happy holidays! I disagree with the user above regarding Carnage Tyrant . If you could describe your meta, it would help us with suggestions. It is an assured beater free from counterspell and removal. Hexproof is crucial in xenagos, especially in a meta like mine literred with spot removal.
- Beast Whisperer - With 1/3rd of your deck as creatures, he provides steady as opposed to burst card draw. Both IMO are crucial in a Xenagos deck.
- Harmonize - Decent card, decent ability, fairly priced. Something to consider
- Lifeblood Hydra - Beater, card draw and lifgain all in 1.
- Momentous Fall - Similar to life's legacy but can be used in response to removal
- Voracious Hydra - Beater and removal in 1
- Rancor - Trample
- Bolt Bend - OMFG THIS CARD IS SO F GOOD!!! --> Counters counterspells, redirects removal, and redirect some extra turn spells. All for . Nothing is worse than getting 2 for 1ed when attempting to use a card draw spell on your beater. This helps provide you with insurance that you get to keep your draw! This is the biggest issue with Xenagos
- Nissa's Pilgrimage - Ramp for T3 commander
- Springbloom Druid - Ramp for T3 commander
- Castle Garenbrig - Ramp
- Dread Statuary - Won me a couple games because I was able to have a creature after a board wipe to use for a draw spell.
- Myriad Landscape - Ramp
- Blighted Woodland - Ramp
- Raging Ravine - Manland
- Temple of Abandon - Not necessary but worth noting
Thanks for bringing Skullclamp to my attention, need to consider it.
1 month ago
+1 I read the primer, while I knew a lot of the stuff you mentioned as a Xenagos player myself, it was refreshing! I noticed you put dense folliage and plated slagwurm out of the deck, is there any particular reason? I found the reasons in the primer convincing.
As you mentioned in your primer, the worst thing that can happen in a Xenagos deck is having a blowout, getting your creature killed in response to a draw spell. Unfortunately, my meta is FILLED with interaction and spot removal, which is Xenagos's achille's heel. City of Solitude is an allstar in my list, stops blue as well. How would a Xenagos deck deal with a meta that's filled with interaction and spot removal? That's my biggest question for you. I personally don't run extra combat steps for this reason because they only help when I have a creature which sadly isn't that often despite having 31 creatures in the deck BECAUSE I become such a target. For whatever reason, people are afraid of Xenagos :D Another weakness is control decks which are just a bad time for us. While I don't run it in my list, have you considered Prowling Serpopard or even Spellbreaker Behemoth as tutorable ways to deal with blue?
Want to rack your brain regarding recursion as well. Mimic Vat is a very interesting card I never considered by will do so seriously thanks to your primer. I feel like it's exactly what I need to deal with ALL the spot removal in my meta. I added Reap the Past as well as E=wit and greenwardern. The warden might be overkill, but he works nicely with Berserk effects, that way I don't mind if they use spot removal on him.
I'm astonished you are running Thran Dynamo over Skyshroud Claim . Both can be used the same turn, but dynamo gets shut off by your own collector off and opposing null rod effects, not to mention it can get blown up. Skyshroud can color fix you as well, but thats rarely and issue for G/R players.
In your primer you mention Joraga tree speaker is like a green sol ring, but he doesn't actually "ramp" you. Play him T1, Level up T2, you have 2 green mana, no more than you would have had without him. I don't like him outside of elf-centric lists.
Voracious Hydra - Acts as a beater with trample and built in removal, or he can just get HUGE.
Decimate - 4 cards blown up for 1, huge value and can be played prior to Xenagos to clear the field. Note: You do need 4 targets, but you can always target Xenagos for the enchantment should none be on the field.
I noticed you run Return of the Wildspeaker . I think I might replace my Garruk, Primal Hunter with that. Thank you for that, I like how it's instant speed so you can use it in response to removal instead of having to pay ! Speaking of draw, have you considered The Great Henge ? Can cost just , buffs your dudes, gains you life and most importantly draw you cards. It might be better in a deck with more creatures, but I thought it worth noting nevertheless.
What are your thoughts on Shapers' Sanctuary ? Since the deck folds to spot removal, this comes down early and draws you cards. I'm going to add it to my list.
Embercleave seems weak, even with Godo tutoring it onto himself, and Xenagos + equipment buff, it becomes 8/8 trample doublestrike, so 16 damage at most for 6 mana seems weak. This doesn't take into consideration that you might draw into the equipment prior to drawing into Godo, which would suck because you would need to pay a higher cost since the deck doesn't go wide as you noted in your primer. Maybe consider Mage Slayer as well or even as a replacement? That way you're not as reliant upon Godo.
Under your section of cards you don't play, I disagree the following....
- You should run Berserk ! You won't cast it unless it will kill them and most of the time, it does, at least in my experience. There's nothing better than berserking a Lifeblood Hydra which you should add as well. It provides lifegain and more importantly card draw.
- Tooth and Nail - 9 mana for 2 creatures from your deck/hand? It's amazing with value creatures like E-wit or green warden although you don't appear to be running either. Another option is Archetype of Endurance (which has been an ALLSTAR in my deck) and a beater.
- Kozilek, Butcher of Truth - Part of me agrees with you, your deck doesn't have that mana capacity per say since your curve is low for Xenagos. The other part of me sees a 24/24 Draw 4 Cards, Annihilator 4, it won me the last few games.
Overall, I'm very impressed by this list. This seems like a beast to play against. I made my Xenagos deck's CMC higher rather than lower to the ground because that would just exacerbate how threatening I am to the table and I choose to sacrifice speed for late game resiliency. Whenever you get a chance, I would appreciate it if you could take a look at my Xenagos list Bro, or should I say, Xenabro
2 months ago
Where is your card draw?! With such few lands, and only 4 rocks, I find it impractical for your to get Xenagos out earlier than Turn 4. Yes, there are G-d hands with Sol ring and what not, but this deck looks like it will crumble if opponents run interaction. Idk what your meta consists of, but Garruk, Primal Hunter , Soul's Majesty , Lifeblood Hydra , Lifecrafter's Bestiary , Momentous Fall , Return of the Wildspeaker , Sylvan Library would all be good additions.
Your creature count seems low for a Xenagos deck. I would recomend...
Helm of the host is Winmore 100%. Asceticism is cool, but paying for Xenagos T4, Asceticism T5 gets destroyed only for you to play a beater on T6 and have it removed sucks because you just lost a turn (tempo) to a piece of removal that usually costs less than 3. If anything, I would cut it for beaters with built in protection (like seige and carnage). The easiest way to kill a Xenagos deck is by murdering it creatures, thereby cutting all your sources of drawing and winning by beating them to death. If you want to still include protection spells in this slot, I would recommend Blossoming Defense or Heroic Intervention . While they are 1 time use, they are cheap to play so you can play a beater and hold up protection.
Questing Beast seems like a meta pick, if you have lots of walkers to deal with keep it, otherwise, seems weak.
Hydra Omnivore paints a target on your back. You can use politics to save your creature from the opponent who has removal by attacking a different opponent, but omnivore doesn't make that possible.
Worldspire wurm is 11 mana for a big beater than makes some dudes, should replace with something that comes down earlier or more impactful (Kozilek, terrastadon, etc...). I know you can cheat him in with amulet and piper but that always inst availble and even then that is weak.
I would cut every single Planeswalker you have, they are not impactful enough to justify their slots. Arlin and Samut might be good enough to keep, but the remaining definitely not. Domri is weak removal and weak card draw. Viven's flash is useless in Xenagos, and her other 2 abilities are weak as well. Xenagos reveler doesn't help much since you aren't going wide in this deck.
If you want more cuts or ideas, let me know. If your meta doesn't run interaction, then I am jealous.
2 months ago
I feel obligated to point out Malignus for Xenagos, seeing as it will kill anyone with their shields down. a great way to lower those shields is Disrupt Decorum . Siege Behemoth can also do the trick.
2 months ago
Anthroplasm is a weird one that you can make as big or small as you want depending on available mana.
Bred for the Hunt is good card draw if everything has counters anyways.
Gilder Bairn is like Vorel but untaps to double counters.
Momir Vig, Simic Visionary is a resuable simic-creature tutor
5 months ago
Phule451 I know, I simply didn't have it until yesterday. On the other hand, I don't think it's necessarily needed. I'll try it for sure. Lifeblood Hydra is very nice and I don't know how I could have overlooked that one. Animist's Awakening is too situational and to be fully functional it depends on too many different aspects. I'd rater play another ramp for 1-2 lands than this one. Thank you for your suggestions!
5 months ago
I really don't know how any hydra deck survives without Unbound Flourishing . That card was almost made for hydras so I agree with Snooktf2 on that one. Lifeblood Hydra is also fantastic. Animist's Awakening is a wonderful ramp card so you can make enormous hydras, especially if you add that Unbound Flourishing , plus with all the instants and sorceries you're running it could be all the better..