Each land card in your hand has cycling .
Cycling (, Discard this card: Draw a card.)
Printings View all
|Modern Horizons (MH1)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Tectonic Reformation Discussion
1 week ago
My first question is why no damage doubler effects? Furnace of Rath and similar work extremely well. Even though the opponent gets to decide what order the damage effects happen, you're still getting a big damage boost.
Second, have you considered going down to 33 or 32 lands? Your curve is pretty low and you aren't dumping your hand via artifact rocks or mana rituals. I think you could probably find one or two slots from land drops.
How have the planeswalkers been working out? The 4 CMC Chandra seems fine, but the other two seem expensive for not much effect.
Why are you running colorless creatures? The damage isn't amplified. Reality Smasher is expensive to cast at 5, and is effectively a vanilla 5/5 that keeps up card parity when it is removed. Smuggler's Copter gives card looting but requires creatures to make it work, creatures that could just be attacking and getting the +2 damage anyways. I can also see why you'd keep Phyrexian Revoker but Pithing Needle might outperform it here as its harder to remove and 2 damage a turn is negligible in EDH.
Some of your 3 and 4 CMC creatures you should reconsider for speed and effectiveness purposes. Thunderbreak Regent is a flying creature, but you aren't getting reliable triggers from it, most likely just one. Tectonic Giant offers card advantage and MASSIVE damage with Torbran. Inferno Titan is another powerhouse with Torbran as you can split the damage 3 ways and get 3 damage apiece. Mindsparker seems too niche and is a 3/2 first strike for against decks outside its color hate. Jaya Ballard, Task Mage seems nice but waiting for summoning sickness feels bad and having to pitch cards to it is a no from me. Taurean Mauler is certainly appealing and presents a threat later, but without trample you're losing out and would be better served by Hordeling Outburst for efficiency sake with Torbran. Finally, Dragonmaster Outcast takes way too long to turn on, and requires an upkeep step to do anything, making it prime target for opponents to remove. Its great when it works, but another token producer is going to outpace this. Specifically, Krenko, Mob Boss is going to run away with the game much faster especially if you have any random extra goblins floating around.
Alpine Moon is much more marginal than you think. Sure its shutting down Gaea's Cradle but your two other moon effects should be more than enough. Outpost Siege is a very marginal effect both ways, and I would recommend a cut for Impact Tremors if you are looking for more damage. Tectonic Reformation is -1 card advantage when you cast it, and no matter how many times you cycle it stays at -1 card advantage. It also becomes easier to cut if you go down to 32 or 33 lands. Experimental Frenzy seems useful when you've emptied your hand but seems marginal in the vast majority of circumstances. You aren't really running topdeck manipulation like Sensei's Divining Top or Scroll Rack to smooth this card out, and I sincerely think Thrill of Possibility is going to serve you better by making you have better turn 3's and turn 4's in your games.
2 weeks ago
Other notable cards could also be Borborygmos Enraged, Living Twister, Molten Vortex, Tectonic Reformation, and in this deck Dakmor Salvage would be a staple. Fetch lands are also good, they don't need to be the expensive ones but something like Blighted Woodland, Warped Landscape, and Myriad Landscape are very good budget options. Edge of Autumn, and Harrow are ones I forgot to mention as well.
1 month ago
This is a good start. Good number of boardwipes and removal.
Not knowing your desired budget, power level or intended way to win, I am limited in how I can help.
For now, I'll keep things budget, and mostly suggest cards from the two most important categories in EDH, Card Draw and Ramp.
Ramp: With the curve you have currently, you'll need more. We will also attempt to lower the curve while cutting.
- Smothering Tithe. Dang. I thought this was more budget friendly. ST is very powerful, and a solid white staple that Boros needs. It's a good purchase.
- Generator Servant. Not really ramp, more of a ritual, but it can pump out a big boi 2 turns early with haste!
- Talisman of Conviction
- Wayfarer's Bauble
- Prismatic Lens
- Burnished Hart pet card, but it's solid ramp.
- Neheb, the Eternal could turn all of you X-spell boardwipes into a game winning play.
- Coldsteel Heart
And as she starts to build more decks and play more, a greater emphasis on 2cmc mana rocks over everything else will hopefully flourish.
Draw: Here's where you're really struggling.
- Reforge the Soul + other wheels are great with Smothering Tithe
- Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion is card selection, ramp, and a big attacker all in one.
- Land Tax (expensive) and Tectonic Reformation
- Humble Defector. My second favorite card in Magic, and a total pet card, but it's so good! If she's good at politics and making deals she can make this a card draw engine. Advise her to use it, give it to the least dangerous opponent on the condition that they a) give it back immediately and b) do some other small favor.
- Tome of Legends if you decide to switch commanders, or if she finds she attacks a lot.
- Prophetic Flamespeaker and Grenzo, Havoc Raiser get cards from attacking.
- Khorvath's Fury will wheel you and lower life totals.
- Etali, Primal Storm another on-theme way to get card advantage.
- Outpost Siege heard good things, but have never tried it myself.
- Ignite the Future is fast becoming one of my favorite red draw spells. Solid value.
Adding a bunch of these will let her have a way better time. More cards in hand = more fun.
- Gerrard, Weatherlight Hero solid protection piece. Consider him as the commander.
- Boros Charm another protection piece, with utility.
- Extra combat effects.
- Lower the CMC of your boardwipes.
- Try to lower the CMC over all.
Cuts to consider:
- Basandra, Battle Seraph
- Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh
- Dawnbreak Reclaimer
- Fiendslayer Paladin
- Hunted Dragon
- Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas
- Phyrexian Soulgorger
- Leyline of Combustion
- Victory's Herald
Hope some of this helps!
1 month ago
Hey, interesting version of Wildborn.
Consider some creature tutors?
You could expand on the interaction of being able to play more lands a turn.
Crucible/Excavator have good interaction with Reformation and Loam is the enabler for these cards. Reformation and Horn can be consistent sources of repeatable draw with only lands.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Crucible of Fire: Dragons are already big with lots of power as well as flying they don't also need anthems.
- Return of the Wildspeaker
- Vanquisher's Banner
- Explosive Vegetation
- Jugan, the Rising Star
- Ryusei, the Falling Star
- Foe-Razer Regent
- Siege Dragon
- Kilnmouth Dragon
Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Okay buddy here we go!
I think we need to fix a lot of things here. Ramp is an easy fix, we'll get some more instant/sorceries that get lands because they are safest. Then we'll work on getting more counters on Hallar in more efficient ways. We'll also swap out some of your kicker spells for other kicker spells that do better things.
Cards to look at:
- Snake Umbra It's protection and draw
- Ordeal of Nylea Counters and ramp
- Wolfbriar Elemental an "eh" kicker but lots of tokens if you get the mana
- Vigor awesome against Neheb and Torbran
- Verduran Emissary kicker and removal
- Thicket Elemental kicker and free creature, but it costs a lot so maybe not
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal another hardened scales
- Mold Shambler kicker and removal (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Citanul Woodreaders kicker and draw (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Rishkar's Expertise draw and free spell
- Greater Good is good for drawing cards in the event a board wipe or removal happens. Yeah you have to discard 3 but who cares when you're hopefully drawing 8+ by sacking Hallar
- Return of the Wildspeaker another draw or a buff
- Hunter's Insight Since Hallar has trample you'll definitely get cards, but this can be 3 mana draw 8+ if he's unblocked
- Canopy Surge cheap kicker that also hits players so you can bring them down lower
- Chandra's Ignition boardwipe/damage players
- Breath of Darigaaz cheap kicker that also jits players
- Quest for Pure Flame cheap damage doubler to help you close a game. One Hallar activation puts 3 counters on it.
- Hour of Devastation solid boardwipe that hopefully won't kill Hallar
- Tectonic Reformation For cycling lands
- Solidarity of Heroes cheap kicker that doubles counters
- Heroic Intervention protection
- Savage Offensive cheap kicker that's a combat trick sorta
- Blade of the Bloodchief might be good with Elenda and Teysa sacking all those creatures.
- Primal Vigor double counters
- Llanowar Reborn easy +1 at the cost of it coming in tapped, great in opening hand
- Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter mana and +1s
- Rishkar, Peema Renegade mana and +1s
- Forgotten Ancient more counters
- Farseek 2 mana ramp
- Sakura-Tribe Elder 2 mana ramp
- Rampant Growth 2 mana ramp
- Nature's Lore 2 mana ramp
- Kodama's Reach 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Cultivate 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Explore 2 mana ramp and draw
Cards to maybe cut
- Azusa, Lost but Seeking only good early game or if you're drawing a ton of cards, replace with any 2 mana ramp card
- Elvish Visionary replace with Explore
- Grand Warlord Radha Looking to go lower on creatures, replace with 2 mana ramp spell
- Grunn, the Lonely King replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Loyal Guardian replace with better +1 counter option
- Rummaging Goblin Replace with better draw
- Savage Ventmaw 2 mana ramp spell
- Servant of the Scale replace with better +1 counter
- Skizzik replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Untamed Kavu replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Fog You know I don't like these but I know you like them. I'd replace with Heroic Intervention
- Magmatic Insight replace with Tectonic reformation
- Expedite replace with draw spell
- Darksteel Ingot 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Locket 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Cluestone 2 mana ramp
- Repercussion is way, waaaaaaaaaaaay to risky now with Neheb AND torbran. replace with anything really
- Forced Adaptation Replace with better +1 or doubler
- Radha, Heir to Keld replace with 2 mana ramp spell
So with all that I hope you're mana will be more consistant and your draw will be more powerful, then you'll be able to dump more counters on Hallar and snipe some wins. If not, your kicker spells will have more impact because they'll draw or remove or ramp. Focus on the 2cmc ramp cards, then swap out the kicker spells, then get those draw cards in there.
Here's a Deck you can also look at
1 month ago
Flare has damage along with a draw effect.Also Dragon Mage is a bit high cmc but has a nice draw. Blood Sun can help shutdown Terramorphic Expanse along with a draw. Tectonic Reformation can also clear out dead land cards in your hand.
I would pull Grim Initiate doesn't really fit team, Cavalcade of Calamity only has like 5 creatures that activate this and you have some pump spells to negate it, Molten Influence and Browbeat since there is a choice your opponents will choose the one you don't want.
1 month ago
Maybe you meant to put in Tectonic Reformation
1 month ago
I should say that even though I'm using the Modern pool of cards, I don't intend on making it a competitive deck. I just think that because a deck is casual and budget it doesn't necessarily need to be as good as it can be.
I'll probably make it Mardu since I think it shouldn't too hard to fit some cycling to help dig through the deck and enable Astral Drift for more blinks. It should end up shifting the archetype of the deck to control rather than aggro, which is something I'm totally in favor of.
I choose to keep red in deck because it helps with card draw and has way more discard outlets like Cathartic Reunion , Lightning Axe and I'll try to fit in Tectonic Reformation since lands will end up being almost useless in the late game.
I'll also be cutting almost all, if not all, copies of Unearth .