Knight of the Reliquary
Creature — Human Knight
Knight of the Reliquary gets +1/+1 for each land card in your graveyard.
, Sacrifice a Forest or Plains: Search your library for a land card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
|Have (2)||, metalmagic|
|Want (2)||jameloaf , Ouranos139|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Knight of the Reliquary occurrence in decks from the last year
Knight of the Reliquary Discussion
1 month ago
1 month ago
What's white known for?
Lifegain? Green and black are as able as white at gaining life, while also progressing the game/board while doing so.
Removal? Black deals with specifically single target creature better than white can. Enchantments and artifacts are removed as easily, if not more so, by green. Oblivion Ring effects? Not a permanent solution, often suboptimal. Boardwipes? Damnation, Toxic Deluge, Blasphemous Act and Cyclonic Rift are more popular than Wrath of God. But Planar Cleansing is a purely white effect right...? Hello Boompile, Oblivion Stone and Nevinyrral's Disk, which are playable in every deck.
Tokens then? But Doubling Season and Parallel Lives are green cards. White has the best non-tribal anthems, like Glorious Anthem, but most commander decks that actually win by those effects, usually are tribal, and have plenty of lords that synergize better with the deck.
So what does a deck need to actually be functional? Most will say you'll need a decent amount of carddraw and ramp. White ramp is actually catching up lately, but almost all white ramp is dependent on artifacts or your opponents (Knight of the Reliquary effects). Smothering Tithe helps though. White carddraw is either the Monarch, which every other color has cards for, or it's Mentor of the Meek and Bygone Bishop, which impose fairly heavy restrictions on your deck, to play low-impact creature cards in your 99. There is no white Rhystic Study, Outpost Siege, Guardian Project or Phyrexian Arena.
And finally, what else is white lacking? A (big mana) spell that can win the game on the spot. Like Torment of Hailfire, Craterhoof Behemoth, Insurrection or Thassa's Oracle. White splashy spells will create an imposing boardstate, but you'll need to actually untap to attack and win the game, giving your opponents a full turn to respond. The closest white has is Approach of the Second Sun which you can see coming 7 cards in advance.
So there's no real unique reason to play White in your deck. White only shines in being annoying, with Rule of Law, Drannith Magistrate, Ghostly Prison, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Blind Obedience and Armageddon, which not everyone (understatement) likes playing against. So if you'd ask me, the lack of carddraw, unique strategies & finishers, and the play-stax-or-lose image, are the main problems white is dealing with right now.
2 months ago
I'm playing a deck with possible infinite landfall combo's that has more pieces interacting with Retreat to Coralhelm, maybe not from turn 3, but still, redundancy is key in commander:
Lotus Cobra will help you make all the mana you need. Knight of the Reliquary + Retreat can put all your forests and plains into your graveyard for a big Splendid Reclamation. Tunneling Geopede / Spitfire Lagac will kill your opponents even if they'd play an Eldrazi Titan that shuffles back their graveyard. I'd also include a few ways to give haste to a creature, so you won't have to wait a turn before you can combo.
So the best tip I can give you with this combo: breach out to more colours than just Blue and White. Landfall decks just work best with Green included, because Green can get you a lot of lands into play, even when you're not going infinite. There's more landfall pieces in existence than alternatives to Retreat to Coralhelm, so that might improve the consistency of the deck, making it more enjoyable to play, even if you're having a hard time assembling the combo.
Unless you want to challenge yourself and make a Landfall deck without green. In that case I'm all for it and wish you the best of luck!
2 months ago
I am likely to sacrifice the place I’m standing for greener pastures so I can feel bigger...
4 months ago
Retreat 1 is a scry with every land drop which already is not bad. But retreat combos with Knight of the Reliquary in that you can untap it and keep sacrificing ands and going to get the land that you want / need. So that's pretty powerful.
I have only goldfished the deck on here with the playtest function. It's been really smooth and the mana has been great which are two things that I'm always looking for. Sol ring still let's you do stupid things early, even though it doesn't help cast Omnath ahead of schedule.
Escape the wilds is basically just draw 5. I have enough ways to get value out of the graveyard that I can use those spells after. It's seemed really powerful in my testing.
5 months ago
Hey, good budget version of Omnath. Nice Sylvan Library :)
For around $25 you could make several budget improvements. Some budget staples in Commander for four colors to consider adding:
- Sol Ring: at TCGPlayer it's less than $3.
- Command Tower: it's less than $1.
- Arcane Signet: it's less than $3.
- Exotic Orchard
- Canopy Vista: it's less than $2.
- Cinder Glade: it's less than $1.
- Prairie Stream: it's less than $1.
Some budget cards for landfall to consider adding:
- Zendikar's Roil: repeatable 2/2 Elementals.
- Felidar Retreat: repeatable counters on all creatures you control including Omnath or repeatable 2/2 Cats.
- Risen Reef: can put a land onto the battlefield tapped or any other card into your hand and has good repeatable interaction with Elementals especially Zendikar's Roil and Omnath, Locus of Rage.
- Harrow: search for and put two basic lands onto the battlefield untapped.
- Springbloom Druid: search for and put two basic lands onto the battlefield tapped.
- Llanowar Scout: can play any land from your hand.
- Knight of the Reliquary: repeatable land tutor to search for any land and put it onto the battlefield.
- Growth Spiral
- Simic Growth Chamber
- Gruul Turf
- Selesnya Sanctuary
- Izzet Boilerworks
Land ramp that puts two lands onto the battlefield at the same time to trigger Omnath twice is helpful. Chamber, Turf, Sanctuary and Boilerworks are called Bounce lands and they can give you more chances to have lands in your hand to play to trigger landfall. They can also bounce themselves back to your hand which gives you at least one land drop each turn for landfall.
Omnath can benefit from some mana sinks to be able to consistently use the four mana he makes:
- Kessig Wolf Run: it's less than $1, repeatable trample and pump Omnath's power.
- Gavony Township: it's less than $1, repeatable counters for all creatures you control.
- Rogue's Passage: make Omnath unblockable to do Commander damage.
- Simic Ascendancy: repeatable counters and can be a win condition with counters only needing 20. Has very good interaction with Felidar Retreat and Gavony Township since these put a counter on each creature you control meaning each creature counts as putting one counter on Ascendancy.
- Wargate: Mystery Booster version is less than $2. Tutor for any permanent card and put it onto the battlefield.
If you're interested in these suggestions I offer more advice about cards to cut. Good luck with your deck.
5 months ago
Knight of the Reliquary might be of some use.