Your opponents can't search libraries.
If an opponent would begin an extra turn, that player skips that turn instead.
|Have (2)||, Forkbeard|
|Want (5)||darksteelgiant , Jebanator , Easymode , mrcrow85 , epros1285|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||Rare|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Stranglehold occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%
1 week ago
Some players want to create action more than they want to impede it & that can be frustrating in a format where there tends to be more ease & reward stapled onto passive cards. Gidgetimer a punisher with upside (something additive..though parallel) is Captive Audience - zombies is a nice additive effect. Curse of Opulence is less of a punisher but is another action promoter than gives possible benefit to the casting player. Cindervines has stapled on removal (I consider this an upside). They definitely are heading in the right direction now to have benefits stapled onto more action-pushing cards that aren't just removal fodder. There was just a long history of Price of Glory type-punishment where there isn't a payoff for the player using it & all it really accomplished was to waste a field slot until some player finally used some sort of bounce-effect or splash removal & then just went ahead & kept sandbagging, in affect these types of punishment accomplished the opposite of the intended effect by making players have to play MORE responsively. Another good example is Stranglehold, all you really do is play it & wait for an opponent to remove it. Also, those Murder examples are not catch-all. There is so much higher of a ratio of workarounds for removal than there is counterspells. also has Rewind types of effects, essentially making some lame game-delay free, which is bound to tick some people off. To be completely honest though, I think some people hate on blue because it is fun to hate on it. It is fun to route against the NE Patriots too! It is just part some identities to force action (not necessarily creature stompy) in games & if you get too much traditional strategy in a meta you have to build very specifically to not get dogpiled into oblivion. It is like a fun deciding tool for me to point to where my damage or targeted effects will go instead of flipping coins on who I'm going to mess with. & I partially hate on because history shows it is usually smart to do so while you have the means to do so :) Also, I often hate on because usually as a byproduct of playing the color, a player will have a clutch of cards in hand (& cards in hand is one of my major determinants for who I will be messing with). I hate on because, until fairly recently, passive strategy was the most winnable & most rewarded EDH playstyle & punishment of passive-play has been historically inadequate at actually punishing.
2 weeks ago
What if I persuade you in a different direction? Now that we have established there will be no blue tainting this honest list, are you regardless opposed to Dromoka being in the 99?
Marisi, Breaker of the Coil still has a similar ability (albeit slightly worse yes but with a nice trade-off: red).
Now, I know what you're thinking. "But ANemoAcids, how does red help in any way? Surely red is just as evil as blue?" Well, maybe, but it does have a unique set of cards that are about punishing instant speed play...
War's Toll, Price of Glory, Manabarbs. (Toll and barbs goes nicely with a card like Ghostly Prison might I add). Stranglehold and Blood Sun help keep a game honest but some people don't enjoy the extreme tax.
1 month ago
1 month ago
personally i say do it!
There is no doubt deck synergy is the most vital component in deck building. I would even argue that combo decks themselves are type of synergy (tutor/combo).
But what happens if your running a combo deck and your opponent drops a Stranglehold
That maybe a bad example but the point is if the tighter you make a deck function around a single mechanic the easier it is for your opponent to stop you.
So i always suggest to stray a little from the flavor.
as Gleeock pointed out "single-play impact cards" will give you the most value by always being usable. how ever i consider causal to mean 10+ turns before a win con so your not looking at 2 in 99 its more like 2 in 82 that means 2 card combos can happen. i would not push to 3 or more.
1 month ago
or strong tutor punishers with upside so they are not just dead-drops or removal bait. Achem! - Looking at you Stranglehold, which would be great with some mild or easy condition upside... but is too often dead-drop, removed, then tutor occurs anyway...after removal
2 months ago
Cards you really should consider:
- Fiery Confluence/Pyroclasm These cards are must haves to destroy all the mana dorks and rocks, to decimate the opposing ramp and the smaller annoying creatures. This reduces the card disadvantage of red and is helping to catch up. Give them a try. These cards have a similar function / serve the same purpose:
Stranglehold is pretty strong in the tutor-heavy cEDH-meta
2 months ago
If you want to take this deck to the next level, you should consider the following cards:
- Sensei's Divining Top
- Deafening Silence/Eidolon of Rhetoric/Rule of Law and Defense Grid: to slow down storm- and spellslinger-decks, to deny cardadvantage/ramp and to protect yourself against control and combodecks
- Lapse of Certainty/Mana Tithe/Burnout nobody expects white counters
- Your deck is lacking carddraw! Wheel of Fortune, Painful Truths, Necropotence, Heartwarming Redemption, Phyrexian Arena, Night's Whisper, Azra Oddsmaker & Dark Confidant (/Sign in Blood/Dawn of Hope)
- Toxic Deluge/Fire Covenant/Darksteel Mutation/Vandalblast/Grasp of Fate/Fiery Confluence(/Austere Command/Crush Contraband/Forsake the Worldly) - these are really good removals
- All the Moxes like Mox Opal, Mox Diamond etc.
- Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame to play your commanders on Turn 2
- Play some of the good 2 mana rocks like Orzhov Signet or Talisman of Conviction
- Land Tax & Wayfarer's Bauble (if you run enough basic lands, like now)
- Smothering Tithe - THE white staple and especially good with Wheel effects
- Imperial Recruiter, Recruiter of the Guard, Gamble or Diabolic Intent
- Play Stax to keep your opponents in check! Rest in Peace, Aura of Silence, Trinisphere, Cursed Totem, Hushbringer/Torpor Orb & Stranglehold