Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Creature — Dragon
Whenever a dragon you control attacks, create a 6/6 red Dragon creature token with flying.
2 months ago
After looking at your deck I agree with the Mana curve being too high. I'd suggest adding this nice little combo by splashing green. Minion of the Mighty + Scale Up this will allow you to cheat down your Utvara Hellkite. I'd also suggest adding Shivan Devastator as it can be played early and late game. Some good cards that I think you should squeeze in simply because they are amazing are Balefire Dragon Earthquake Dragon A weird way you can also take your deck is Dragon's Approach
4 months ago
I use to run a land destruction version of Kaalia years ago. Since then she’s move to faster kills by bleeding the opposition. Ravages of War is another mass land d card but will cost you $.
Dragon Tempest is a staple for Kaalia and abused by incorporating Utvara Hellkite and Ancient Gold Dragon, amplified with running Terror of the Peaks. I don’t run a ton of dragons so I chose to keep out Utvara as it’s more situational in my deck.
Talismans > Signets, try hitting about 10-11 mana rocks. In Archenemy games where you’re the threat, Kaalia is just the decoy for removal while you more easily hard cast your threats. Quicksilver Amulet and Sneak Attack are good avenues around losing Kaalia as well, but have you considered Sundial of the Infinite which gets rid of sneak attacks drawback and opens combat combos and infinite turns to your arsenal? Maybe too much of you want to keep casual.
The Sanguine Bond and Exquisite Blood aren’t honestly needed in here. Archfiend of Depravity, Wound Reflection, Sower of Discord, Scourge of the Skyclaves, Gisela, Blade of Goldnight,and Heartless Hidetsugu are functionally better choices to utilize and synergize/combo.
5 months ago
Hello! I saw your deck help tag and wanted to give some insight.
I don't run Miirym as commander, but I do have her in the 99 in Smashing Faces with the Ur-Dragon, and she always pushes me to victory whenever she's allowed to stick on the battlefield.
Some areas you might want to change to improve your consistency:
1 - Ramp
- Farseek and Fellwar Stone are great for fixing for multiple colors of mana. You might take out Birds of Paradise (dies so easily), Sakura-Tribe Elder (fixes for only one color) and Sword of Once and Future (no synergy with dragons) for them.
- Skyshroud Claim is great for the same reasons above. Frontier Siege never impressed me in a multicolor deck, because I often need colors outside of .
- If you run the suggestions above, you probably need more fetchable dual lands: Ketria Triome, Breeding Pool, Steam Vents, Stomping Ground, Sheltered Thicket, Wooded Ridgeline.
- If you run Into the North, you can also use Highland Forest, Rimewood Falls, Volatile Fjord and some snow basics (Snow-Covered Forest, Snow-Covered Island, Snow-Covered Mountain) to fetch.
2 - Draw/Haste
- It is tough to cast Tribute to the World Tree in a 3-color deck without Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth or Chromatic Lantern on the battlefield. Maybe you want Temur Ascendancy instead.
3 - Removal/Boardwipes
- Chain Reaction cleans your own dragons. Curse of the Swine should get rid of your opponents' most problematic creatures. If you face a lot of token decks, Surtland Frostpyre is a boardwipe on a land that leaves most of your dragons alive.
- Green Sun's Twilight could be Chaos Warp as a second Beast Within.
4 - Protection
- In my dragons deck, I often want protection and haste for more than one creature. Swiftfoot Boots got swapped out for Asceticism.
- Slip Out the Back could instead be Heroic Intervention (it has good synergy with Blasphemous Act).
- If you don't want to be attacked, Propaganda might deter more attackers than Fog.
- Can you cast Counterspell and Bane's Contingency reliably? Swan Song or Arcane Denial might be easier to cast considering your manabase.
5 - Card draw
- Rishkar's Expertise, Garruk, Primal Hunter and Return of the Wildspeaker are the cream of the crop of green card draw. You might want to remove Blur, Essence Flux and Ghostly Flicker for them. (Instead of running flicker effects to save your creatures, it might be better to just run more threats in case they are dealt with - and card draw helps with that.)
6 - Better threats
- Dragon Broodmother creates tokens at a much faster pace than Dragonmaster Outcast.
- Korlessa, Scale Singer never impressed me. Knollspine Dragon is way better at drawing cards.
- Overwhelming Stampede wins games harder than Thundermaw Hellkite.
- I would take out Flameblast Dragon for Utvara Hellkite.
7 - Some utility lands you might want to run
6 months ago
Backdraft Hellkite, Scourge of the Throne, Drakuseth, Maw of Flames, Grave Titan, Urabrask the Hidden, Big Score, Unexpected Windfall, Deadly Dispute, Hostile Negotiations, Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger, Goldspan Dragon, Alesha, Who Smiles at Death, Balor, Explorer's Scope, Strionic Resonator, Parhelion II, Hall of the Bandit Lord, Legion Loyalty, Utvara Hellkite, Tyrant's Familiar, Gorex, the Tombshell, Greven, Predator Captain, Graveyard Trespasser Flip, Ilharg, the Raze-Boar, Kaalia of the Vast, Inferno Titan, Olivia, Crimson Bride, Tajic, Legion's Edge, Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice, Felisa, Fang of Silverquill
6 months ago
Very nice deck! Well balanced. I think I would choose Chromatic Lantern over Commander's Sphere though, as your land-count for a three-color deck isn't that high and it mana-fixes all of them. Also, if you have the budget for them, I'd really recommend Balefire Dragon and Utvara Hellkite.
7 months ago
This is not low mana cost but Ive found Utvara Hellkite to be quite good in the groups I play against
8 months ago
8 months ago
Hi everyone! At long last I've updated the list with some of the ancient dragons that I think will work best in the deck list.
The second is actually Ancient Gold Dragon. Kudos to AJohnney101 for pointing this out! It's not just good with Dragon Tempest. It's also good for our other cards that care about the number of dragons attacking, such as Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury who can easily kill a table with enough dragons on board, or to a lesser extend Dromoka, the Eternal. It can also wipe any board with Silumgar, the Drifting Death or add some 6/6s to the 1/1s with Utvara Hellkite. There's just a lot of combos and lines of play here that are really good. We'll cut Kairi, the Swirling Sky for it which isn't super great and certainly nowhere near as great as this.
Ancient Brass Dragon intrigued me initially, but at best it's a second copy of Teneb, the Harvester that doesn't take mana to activate, but which will whiff sometimes. Having a second copy of Teneb is considerable, but the risk of whiffing is as well, so I'm still on the fence.
Ancient Copper Dragon is also amazing and I wouldn't critique anyone adding that, but I think I'm good at the moment with Old Gnawbone and Savage Ventmaw for rampy dragons and am not at the present time investing a slot or money in it.
I also think AJohnney101's suggestion of Miirym, Sentinel Wyrm is intriguing. I can definitely see the value in making copies of not just Miirym but other dragons we want to reanimate, and there would be a lot of fun to be had with mass reanimation on this one. The ward is also not nothing, as this could also be played to nullify removal at Scion if someone holds up one for Path to Exile of can't otherwise pay to overcome the ward. I'll definitely keep this in mind!
Thanks for all the fabulous suggestions! My replies are mostly in the update list above. I also agree that late game we can usually run this deck just fine without Scion. He's a great tool to get us going, but we have lots of tricks to close out the game and a great toolbox.
I don't have Fellwar Stone because I am in green and don't really need many mana rocks. Rampant Growth and its many clones do most of my work here. I've only included Chromatic Lantern because of the incredible utility it provides to my mana base. I can see the case for Faithless Looting or as AJohnney101 suggested Amass the Components and the like. That being said, I in dislike in general one-off effects in a deck like this which often just aren't as useful as a piece that could give me repeat value, but that might be just me!
Thanks for the compliment! For the BG dragons see the update above
As usual, thanks for all of your valuable contributions to the deck and primer. They appreciated!