|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Shadows over Innistrad (SOI)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Lamplighter of Selhoff
Creature — Zombie Horror
When Lamplighter of Selhoff enters the battlefield, if you control another Zombie, you may draw a card. If you do, discard a card.
Lamplighter of Selhoff Discussion
2 months ago
Welcome to building commander! I'd recommend 2-4 more lands for one thing. a personal favorite is Temple of Deceit , strictly better than Salt Marsh . if price isn't too much of an issue, also look at Morphic Pool
To support your zombie theme, some cards I'd look at are Endless Ranks of the Dead and Ghoulcaller Gisa to generate more tokens, Graveborn Muse and Undead Augur for card draw, and Noxious Ghoul as a potential one sided board wipe. You can also go with generic tribal stuff like Kindred Dominance
To get the most out of the activated ability on your commander, maybe look at a mill sub-theme with cards like Undead Alchemist , Lich Lord of Unx , Dread Summons , and Stitcher Geralf . You probably won't kill anyone with mill, but it will load the graves with useful cards.
6 months ago
Some cards to consider:
- Bojuka Bog : A must include in any black commander deck.
- Boneknitter : Utility, simple as that.
- Corpse Harvester : Out with the old, in with the new... and a swamp!
- Cryptbreaker : So much value in such a small package. Token generating, card draw, good in the early and late game... what is not to love about this card!
- Death Baron : A zombie lord with some extra punch Sure he doesn't get deathtouch himself, but all those 2/2 tokens that are now 3/3 deathtouch.
- Dread Summons : Ever seen those zombie movies with that big hoard that just keeps coming... that's this card. Gives you a bunch of tokens, and recursion bait for your commander.
- Endless Ranks of the Dead : Card title kind of says it all for this one. Obviously not the best in metas with wrath effects coming down every turn, but shines like a copper penny otherwise.
- Ghoulcaller Gisa : So take one creature, throw it under the bus, and get more...
- Grave Titan : Why this thing isn't a zombie I will never know. 6/6 for 6, deathtouch, and brings two friends with it AND when it attacks.
- Graveborn Muse : Card draw based on zombies, who is also a zombie!
- Infernal Caretaker : Mass recursion, either play them out, or discard them back for more effects.
- Liliana, Death's Majesty : Just an all around strong zombie planeswalker.
- Liliana's Mastery : Zombies + an anthem that won't be a big target for removal.
- Lord of the Undead : A low to the ground zombie lord with recursion on a stick.
- Noxious Ghoul : Sweeps out low toughness cards for things you're already doing. Just great value.
- Relentless Dead : A great early drop, and late game it serves as a sac target + recursion.
- Shepherd of Rot : Yes it hits you, but this can be such a major threat.
- Undead Warchief : Cheaper zombies, and bigger zombies. All in one convenient package.
- Awaken the Erstwhile : Disruption, plain and simple. Sure it hurts your hand too, but you are the one with all the zombie based anthems.
- Victim of Night : Doomblade 2.0, but hits black creatures.
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier : You'll have so many tokens kicking around to exploit that she's just a straight tutor, and if she ever hits the graveyard just use her again with Scarab God.
- Fleshbag Marauder : Hurts them a lot more than you, and enter the battlefield abilities are great with Scarab around.
- Josu Vess, Lich Knight : Solid 4/5 Menace for 4, got the extra 6 mana though and he brings friends who also have menace.
- Wonder : Flying zombies... yep, that's scary.
- Pull from Tomorrow : Nice draw on an instant with the added benefit to pitch something for Scarab to target.
- Price of Fame : Legendary killer + Surveil 2... love it.
- Sinister Sabotage : Counterspell + Surveil... love it too.
- Paradox Haze : You've got a couple effects that trigger on upkeep, why not double up?
- The deck currently seems to be going in two directions, you have a large zombie theme which I love, but you also have a minor mill theme which seems out of place.
- Advanced Stitchwing : Slow for what it gives, even on the bounce back it comes back tapped.
- Apprentice Necromancer : This is one I'm on the fence suggesting, it's a one use for one turn only.
- Grimgrin, Corpse-Born : This guy is beast, but he works best in a deck build around him.
- Lamplighter of Selhoff : Slow, for his effect.
- Merciless Eternal : He's not bad, just a lot better things to include in the 3 cost bracket.
- Phenax, God of Deception : Love this guy, really do, but he's out of place here because he's a mill guy who loves big butts.
- Relentless Skaabs : This guy does everything you don't want as he hurts your graveyard in order to even hit play.
- Servant of Tymaret : Slow with high cost. In order to make the best use of him you have to be attacking, and if the way isn't clear that means a 3 mana tax just for 1 life on each opponent.
- Spiteful Returned : Don't hate it, but better things out there.
- Stitchwing Skaab : Suffers from the same as Advanced Stitchwing.
- Undead Alchemist : This guy can go either way, but the way I look at him is generally people have more cards in their decks than life, so it's easier to take out their life.
- Vindictive Lich : This guy is fun, though for his cost there is a lot more out there.
- Exotic Orchard : Risky unless you know your playgroup always has one of your colors, otherwise it's just a colorless and a swamp or island would be just as good.
- Leechridden Swamp : Slows you down for a minor effect.
- Path of Ancestry : Phenax is the only other god creature, so even if you keep him in it's very slow for the benefit it probably will never get the chance to give.
- Coat of Arms : I love this card, I really do, but it's a calculated risk and I find zombies are usually too slow of it. Run up against a goblin or elf deck and this will do more for your opponent.
- Mindcrank : This is another I'm on the fence with as it pairs really well with Scarab.
- Vanquisher's Banner : Good card, though you're not casting all those tokens so you're only getting a bit of a benefit from it.
- Liliana Vess : Good card, out of place in this deck unless you are going heavier into the mill.
- Ob Nixilis Reignited : Just completely out of place for zombie tribal.
- Glimpse the Unthinkable : One of those mill cards, it suffers as a one of.
- Rise from the Grave : Expensive for effect.
- Ruthless Disposal : This isn't bad in this deck, but compared to Morbid Slip for example it lacks that added shine.
- Curse of Disturbance : So much politics, this is VERY meta dependent as to if players fall for the bait.
- Quest for the Gravelord : This can work out, but more often then not stuff isn't dying fast enough or it just gets pinged with early removal.
- Search for Azcanta Flip: More at home in a non-creature strategy.
- Torment of Scarabs : Most people can play around this with not too much fuss, and it gives all the choice to them. I'd prefer some targeted removal.
2 years ago
I would definitely cut Rancid Rats, Noosegraf Mob, Seagraf Skaab, Tattered Haunter, Doomed Dissenter from the creatures and Rise from the Tides, From Under the Floorboards and Drag Under from the sorcery slots. I would also probably cut Mindwrack Demon, Geralf's Masterpiece and Lamplighter of Selhoff.
Here's some of my reasoning behind those thoughts.- Rancid Rats I don't think you want to playing a 2CMC 1/1 even though it has death touch, you could be playing something more impactful even on a budget.
Noosegraf Mob 6mana creature is already pretty hard to cast and the fact that it does nothing when it comes on the board feels bad for that cmc. Even though it can take over the game after that, I still think that at 6 mana you would be better of recurring or playing multiple zombies that do more or holding up spells.
Seagraf Skaab 2mana 1/3 doesn't really kill or trade anything relevant, again could be using this slot to focus on having more impactful spells/creaturs.
Tattered Haunter Again doesn't really do anything for whats it worth.
Doomed Dissenter This could actually be playable, but I think you could still be playing something better.
Rise From the Tides This card works better in a deck that is really trying to break it. The zombies entering tapped is a big downside since they can't even block.
From Under the Floorboard I don't think you deck has enough looting effects to really take advantage of this card, Amonkhet also had this card Liliana's Mastery which is the same cmc but pumps your whole team and gets you 1 less zombie. Not sure if I would play even that though, but it is definitely more powerful.
Drag under basically reads "Delay your opponent by a turn, draw a card" or it gets rid of a blocker. But again for 3 mana you could be playing something better. 3 mana is surprisingly costly price to play for a spells that doesn't improve your board state, unless you're hitting for lethal but you need to get rid of a blocker.
Mindwrack Demon this is a powerful card, but it works much better in a deck that is dedicated on getting delirium fast.
Geralf's Masterpiece this is again a potentially powerful card. But it's very hard for a deck like this to have a near empty hand to cast this on turn 5 to get a lot out of it.
Lamplighter of Selhoff probably my favorite art in all of SOI, but sadly the card isn't very good outside of sealed/limited if you get synergies around it.
There are some other kinda bad cards as well like Liliana's Elite that could be cut for something better, but enough of that. Lets see what could help your deck perform a lot better. First of all focusing the on something for recursion or for aggro. Seeing that you're already in the camp I would suggest going for the recursion theme. Playing more 4x cards also really helps with consistency so you get to do more powerful plays more often.
I'll list a couple of cards that I would always run 4x in a zombie tribal with recursion theme.
Prized Amalgam this really the key recursion creature and one of the cards that will make your deck very resilient against removal.
Haunted Dead 4cmc 2/2 that gives you a 1/1 flyer isn't great, but the ability to pay to discard 2 cards and then bring it back is. You can even do things like have this creature die, use the ability target 2x Prized Amalgam in your hand and you would get all of them on the board. Also you can do that at instant speed during your opponents second main phase to get the amalgams ready for attacks on your next turn.
Those are what I would definitely run as 4x every time. Now I can give you some ideas of cards that I might or might not run as 4x but would definitely run 2-4 copies of.
First of all this card Voldaren Pariah Flip not a zombie, but vampire with a sweet art is almost as good right? If you got 5mana with at least 4 and a Cryptbreaker on board you can use its ability to discard this card and then cast it for madness using the zombie token you just created as 1 of the 3 creatures to flip this card and kill 3 of your opponents creatures. Most of the time you want to be probably sacking Haunted Dead and 2 Prized Amalgam since you can then just get them back on the next turn. This is a really awesome card and I would run 3-4 of these.
Lord of the Accursed make your whole team bigger and can even give them menace, very nice card since you're running almost only zombies. I don't know how many of these I would run, but this card looks like it could be worth a shot.
This is the kind of shell I would build for a deck like this other cards worth considering 4xFatal Push annoyingly pricey but a very good card. Some form of card draw is also good, like your Epiphany at the Drownyard for an example. Having 2x Geier Reach Sanitarium instead of 1 could also be nice.
I hope this comment helps or gives you some fun ideas. I didn't really want to become "play THIS or dont play" so please do brainstorm with it a bit and fit it into your own budget. Luckily none of the cards I mentioned are more than 3 dollars (aside from push), so getting a powerful deck shouldn't be very expensive :)
2 years ago
Together this brings down the Converted average mana cost and increase the consistency of the mana.
I'd also look at Grasp of Darkness for removal.
As much as I hate hard casting Advanced Stitchwing that second ability is great synergy. 2 of seems right.
2 years ago
Okay, let's get you a kick ass deck
So because it's a zombie deck, I would make it tribal and take out Thraben Foulbloods, Sanitarium Skeleton, Dukhara Scavenger, Mindwrack Demon and Corpse Hauler. They don't get benefits of zombie lords and can be replaced to make your deck run smoother.
Lucky for Zombies, there are some boss zombie lords that will make your walkers into a nightmare to deal with. Diregraf Captain, Undead Warchief, Mikaeus, the Unhallowed, Cemetery Reaper, Gravecrawler, Liliana, the Last Hope, Lord of the Undead, and maybe Relentless Dead are all thorns in your opponent's side.
You've got a lot of commons/uncommon creatures that cost 5+ mana that aren't really doing you too much good. Lamplighter of Selhoff, Ghoulsteed, and Gravedigger can all be replaced with a cheaper Ghoulcaller's Chant, Raise Dead or Disentomb.
For your lands, things are looking pretty good. Dual lands can be insainly expensive, and that's your choice to spend what you want, but I would replace Submerged Boneyard with Jwar Isle Refuge because who doesn't like gaining life? Also, I would get rid of Blighted Cataract, because 6 mana for 2 cards is probably better off being replaced with something that doesn't use your entire turn.
For enchantments, I think Aspect of Gorgon is better replaced with Ring of Xathrid. Grave Betrayal would work great with some more removal, and Call to the Grave has become super. I would replace Lunar Force with Counterspell or Dissolve- Better to choose what you want to go through rather than have it be random.
I would also add a Tome Scour in so you can mill yourself and work with your commander.
I know if feels like I'm building a deck for you and completely remodeling but I think that with these changes, you can really pull off some great gameplay at the EDH table. Good luck!
3 years ago
I would take out two Sleep Paralysis because they are extremely expensive and there are other cards that do better for cheaper. In their place I would put in two Compelling Deterrence. Its an instant speed spell which will almost always have them discarding a card. If they have no cards in hand they will have to discard the creature that you just returned to their hand. This will get rid of many hard to kill creatures in standard right now. Dead Weight and Containment Membrane are awesome, but I would suggest side boarding them because they don't have an answer for tokens like other zombies decks, spirits, or the + Combo. Every deck that runs blue in standard should also side board at least one Invasive Surgery in my opinion. you Also might consider Trail of Evidence but I don't think there as necessary as the other revisions since you aren't focusing on clues. Defiantly Consider Gisa's Bidding instead of Drownyard Explorers. I love the idea of getting Ghoulsteed onto the battlefield for three so one more of those and one less Hound of the Farbogs put in three more lands and take out the rest of the Hound of the Farbogs. You will want to pour mana into X spells and 20 lands is hardly enough to run a deck with an average converted mana cost of three (your deck is even more expensive than that). One more Corpse Churn and Macabre Waltz and take out the Dutiful Return. You have better stuff to do on turn four than revive one, two, and three drops from your graveyard. Side bored the To the Slaughter and put in another Diregraf Colossus you will need enchantments in your mainbored for delirium procks so I suggest taking out the three Rottenheart Ghoul and putting in two Vessel of Malignity and one Sinister Concoction Also take out one Rancid Rats to put in one more Sinister Concoction. Your sidebored has six cards right now
This gives you 9 more slots in your sidebored that i highly suggest using. :)
Creatures (20) Sorcery (7) Instant (6) Enchantment (4) Lands (23)
2x Crow of Dark Tidings 1x From Under the Floorboards 1x Catalog3x Diregraf Colossus 2x Macabre Waltz 1x Confirm Suspicions2x Drunau Corpse Trawler 1x Pore Over the Pages 2x Corpse Churn2x Ghoulsteed 1x Rise from the Tides 2x Compelling Deterrence 2x Lamplighter of Selhoff 1x Ugin's Insight 1x Rancid Rats 1x Gisa's Bidding 3x Walking Corpse 2x Stitched Mangler 2x Vessel of Malignity 3x Choked Estuary 2x Sinister Concoction 9x Islands 11x swamps
I think you will rock your FNM with these revisions, and i wish you good luck.
3 years ago
Not sure Zulaport Cutthroat matches the deck here. You really have no sac outlets, and that's when he shines. Without sac outlets he just kind of sits there, looks pretty, and pings things every so often. He would be good if you included a solid sac outlet, along with some reanimation. Nantuko Husk is a prime example that would fit in the deck with the Cutthroat as not only is he an aggressive sac out let but is also a zombie. Something to that would go well with the Husk as a recurrable sac outlet would be Relentless Dead; one thing to keep in mind, that some people seem to forget, is that both abilities trigger, so if you have the mana you can get back both the Relentless Dead and another zombie. There are other recursion engines, but that one alone will offer decent damage output with the Husk and constant triggers of the Cuttrhoat.
I also think that this is more of a mid-range/tempo-ish deck and not a control deck. I would completely cut Void Shatter from the main and side. I would instead run Compelling Deterrence. This does some VERY good things in this deck. Early on it can be a huge tempo swing/card disruption, and later on if your opponent is in top-deck mode this is just straight up removal. This also offers an answer, even if temporary, to threats that you normally would have a hard time dealing with. Imagine your opponent saccing 5 dooders to Westvale Abbey Flip just to have it bounced back to their hands when it flips, and possibly discarded too. This also answers Avacyn, man-lands, Gideon, and others. I think people underestimate this little uncommon.
I also would want to see Duress/Transgress the Mind if not in the main, then at least in the sideboard. Fleshbag Marauder should be in the mainboard if you asked me. You might even be able to make use of a copy or two of Jace, Unraveler of Secrets.
Here are some cuts I would suggest:
-Lamplighter of Selhoff is too expensive in my opinion for what he does.
-Nephalia Moondrakes is pretty much along the same lines as the Lamplighter, just way to expensive for what it is. If you are looking for a late game flying bomb, other than the Masterpiece, use Dragonlord Silumgar.
-Drunau Corpse Trawler is also very sub par. Paying 4 mana to get a 1/1 and a 2/2 is not value, and while the deathtouch could be decent, it's a 3 mana investment to give it to 1 creature until the end of turn. You could just run more removal instead.
-Behold the Beyond should just be another Ever After in my opinion, or anything else for that matter. You are not a combo deck looking for pieces, neither are you a control deck searching for a win con or an answer. I don't think it's great in here.
-Scrapskin Drake makes no sense in the sideboard, and isn't good enough for the main. It can only block creatures with flying, and any other relevant flying creature will beat the Drake, and you aren't an aggressive deck. Against other control matchups you already have token generators in the side to grind out games, and if you add Negate/Dispel you should be fine.
You have a good starting shell, what you need to keep in mind is that, at least in my opinion, the best direction for U/B Zombies isn't entirely creature focused, but more of a tempo deck with disruption/removal/answers and some strong threats. You are essentially almost a borderline control deck, just a little less control and a bit more threats.
I hope that helps!
3 years ago
Welcome to my set review for blue. I made a white set review yesterday and it got a good amount of views. Comment down below if you want me to continue to black!!! Enjoy!!!
WHITE: http://tappedout.net/mtg-forum/standard/soi-set-review-white/Blue: http://tappedout.net/mtg-forum/standard/soi-set-review-blue/Black: http://tappedout.net/mtg-forum/limited/soi-set-review-black/Red: http://tappedout.net/mtg-forum/limited/soi-set-review-red/edit/
Daring Sleuth Flip The strength of this card depends on how many clue generators you have. A LOT of cards make clues in the set so that shouldn't be that difficult to flip. The front side, 2 mana for a 2/1, is not good. If it does flip,Bearer of Overwhelming Truths Flip, it becomes tons of value. The prowess makes it hard to block confidently, allowing it to connect for damage. This allows you to get a steady stream of card draw. Legitimate playable.
Startled Awake Flip THIS CARD IS INSANE IN LIMITED. By the time you play this, most likely t4, each deck only has 29 cards or less. You're only going to need to use this twice to kill your opponent. Even if they do manage to kill the nightmare, they just wasted their removal on a mill spell instead of your 10/10 bomb.
Thing in the Ice Flip If you have lots of spells, it's good. If you don't, it's bad. It all depends on how often you can flip the card. The set has a lot of filtering, so casting 4 instant/sorcery shouldn't be too difficult.
Broken Concentration Cancel is playable. This is playable. The madness bonus is a nice addition.
Catalog In a deck with 0 madness, I'd say this would get cut. In a deck with lots of madness,
Compelling Deterrence A normal bounce spell is good. Without the bonus this card would be playable. The discard is just added benefit on top of the bounce spell. Good playable.
Confirm Suspicions If cancel is good, then this is too. Even though this costs 2 more mana, it allows you to draw three cards. I think this is a above average playable.
Deny Existence The fact that it can only counter creature spells makes it a lot worse. It's a low end playable because of this. It is possible to side it in, against a creature heavy deck.
Drownyard Explorers A 4 mana 2/4 is just fine. If you give it an ability that replaces itself, then I'd say this is a good playable.
Drunau Corpse Trawler Another high end playable. It lets you clog up the board. The card makes two blockers that can threaten to kill anything.
Engulf the Shore BAD. I just don't like it. It doesn't get rid of the problem and it bounces your guys too. It's not even a 100 percent chance it bounces everything. I guess you could only play a certain number of islands to control which creatures you bounce, but that's not even that good.
Epiphany at the Drownyard Good card. It lets you fuel graveyard strategies and lets you to draw cards. The fact that this card scales with your mana is great too.
Erdwal Illuminator The 2 mana 1/3 in OGW was good and this is too. The fact that it allows you to get in for some damage, block, and draw cards, is great for 2 mana.
Essence Flux Eh. Just a meh card. It doesn't really do much. It saves your creature form a kill spell or from a block, but not much else. If you do happen to blink a spirit then I guess it's fine.
Fleeting Memories This will mostly likely just be 5 mana to mill 3. If you can build a deck around it, then it goes from bad to actually pretty good.
Forgotten Creation VERY GOOD CARD. A 4 mana 3/3 with evasion is great already. It also allows you to filter/fuel delirium.
Furtive Homunculus This is just a solid playable. It has evasion. Skulk will let it get through some damage on a filled board. In the early game this is fine too.
Geralf's Masterpiece A 5 MANA 7/7???? THIS CARD IS GREAT!!! At 5 mana you're not gonna have THAT many cards. Even if it's only a 5 mana 3/3 flier then that's ok. Anything above that is just great!
Ghostly Wings This is just value. It can turn your bomb into a bomb with flying. It can also act as a bounce spell for your opponents cards.
Gone Missing Time Ebb is good. this is just ok. 5 Mana for a 3 mana card is a bit much. It does allow you to get a card off of it, but I'm not sure that makes up for it. Low end playable.
Invasive Surgery Nope.....
Jace, Unraveler of Secrets BOMB!!! It is just sooooo much value. Jace protects himself and allows you to draw cards. If you ever get to use his ultimate you just win the game. Complete bomb in limited and maybe sees constructed play.
Jace's Scrutiny Just fine. This can act as removal, but it also provides value with the clue token.
Just the Wind Bounce is good and this is good. The madness is a bonus on an already playable/good card.
Lamplighter of Selhoff Meh. It just seems fine. It reminds me of the BFZ 5 mana 3/5 looter. Just playable, but not exciting.
Manic Scribe ??? Why would you ever want to mill your opponent? I mean if you can mill them fine, but I highly doubt that. BAD DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT PLAYING
Nagging Thoughts 23 card? It's not good for how much it costs. Just bad, but is good enough to be a 23 card.
Nephalia Moondrakes Not sure about this card. 7 mana for a 5/5 flier is ok. I guess this card will be ok because it can allow your creatures to fly over for the win.
Nibilis of Dusk The Jeskai version of this was good and so is this. It's just a great card. It has evasion and is a high end playable.
Ongoing Investigation This card's power is dependent. If you have lots of evasion then this is good, if not then.. It's ok in almost any deck, but good in a deck with lots of evasion.
Pieces of the Puzzle You will cast this and often times not have it work. Maybe playable for graveyard strategies.
Pore Over the Pages This is good. Card draw and madness enabling. Good high end playable.
Press for Answers This is ok... The fact it's sorcery is kinda bad. It does let you filter really slowly....... but I don't think it's good.
Rattlechains THIS THING IS VALUE. It's all upside. A 2 mana 2/1 with flying is good. If you add flash it's great. If you let it give your other spirits benefits it's amazing
Reckless Scholar Filter is good. This is good. The fact that it's in a madness set makes this great.
Rise from the Tides Really depends on the deck. If you have a lot of spells then this is good. If you don't then this is bad. It all depends on your deck.
Seagraf Skaab Bad. Don't play it.
Silburlind Snapper Meh. I don't really like this card. It's a fine blocker, but I feel like it will never be abel to attack. Maybe 23 card? If not I don't think this is playable.
Silent Observer Good blocker that can chip in damage on a stalled board. Just a fine average playable that can go into almost any blue deck. It shines the most in a slow clue based deck that just wants time to durdle around.
Sleep Paralysis This is good. Blue removal is always good. Play this.
Stitched Mangler Good card. A 3 mana 2/3 is just fine, but the tapdown lets it stay relevant in the late game. Good average playable.
Stitchwing Skaab GREAT. I'm guessing this is going to be REALLY annoying to play against. The fact that it has flying makes it good. You kill it and then you get it back. Seems like lots of value and an annoying threat.
Stormrider Spirit 5 mana 3/3 with flying is always good. If you add flash it's even better. Good high end playable.
Trail of Evidence This goes from unplayable to ok. Again it depends on how many instant/sorcery spells you have.
Vessel of Paramnesia This is bad in any other deck, but fine in a delirium deck. You can play this as a 23 type of card.
Welcomed to the fold IS INSANE!!! You can steal their bomb and then it's their problem to deal with it. Instant two for one and should always be played.
No data for this card yet.